News

I just want my estranged husband to sign an undertaking that nothing will happen to me – Mercy Aigbe

BellaNaija.com

Mercy Aigbe

Nollywood actress Mercy Aigbe has said that she wants her estranged husband, Lanre Gentry to sign an undertaking that he will not come near her, adding that he had sent thugs to her house.

She made this known in an interview with PUNCH’s Saturday Beats.

Lanre, who is currently in Kirikiri Prisons was accused of physically abusing the actress.

Mercy reported the case to the police when she could no longer keep quiet.

“The case is no longer between my husband and I. It is now between the Office of the Public Defender, Lagos State Ministry of Women Affairs and my husband. The officer is the one handling the case.

I cannot be washing my dirty linen in public and that is why I do not want to go into details of my marriage. It is not in my place to send him to jail. I only reported to the appropriate authorities and I just need him to show remorse for what he has done to me. He does not know the gravity of what he has done to me, the pains that I feel right now and the trauma I have gone through.

I am still in pains and I am bleeding internally because I am still coughing out blood. Instead of him to be remorseful, he was busy going online to say all sorts of things about me and concocting lies. He has been fabricating stories to taint my image because he knows I am the one with a reputation at stake. I intentionally did not say anything even though I have proof of everything I have to say. Instead of my husband to show some sense of responsibility and own up to what he did, he was busy dragging my name in the mud,” Mercy said.

On why she stayed

I endured all the things that I went through in his hands because of my children and also because of the fact that people look up to me as a role model. I have been through a lot and I pray and fast a lot so that things would go on smoothly. I have been praying and enduring a lot but this last time, the beating was brutal and he almost killed me.

On Allegations of Promiscuity

Before I got married, there was no scandal about me being promiscuous, no one could say that I was sleeping around; so why would I now do such as a married woman? If I were that promiscuous like he claims, how come no journalist has ever reported such stories about me? I have been working so hard to build my brand and now he wants to rubbish it.

On her estranged husband’s anger management “problem”

The problem with him is that he cannot control his anger and I have advised him on several occasions to see a therapist or enrol in anger management class to learn how to control his temper but he refused. He gets violent whenever he is angry and that is his problem. There is no way a couple would not fight but it does not always have to lead to physical violence. On that fateful day, he hit my head on the wall just because I found out that he was having an affair with someone very close to me and we had an argument.

He came to beat me at my tailor’s place. He even beat my make-up artiste and broke her hand. It was from that place that I was rushed to the hospital very late that night. When he was beating me, he was acting as if he was possessed. Ever since he had been beating me, he had never beaten me to this extent. It was as if he had made up his mind to kill me or blind me so that my career would end. I don’t know why he is doing all this. I have offered to take him to church but whenever we get there, he would refuse to enter. I tried all my best. If only he went for therapy, all this would not have happened and I don’t have to stay with him till he kills me. Imagine if I had died that day, I wonder what kind of cover up story he would have released to the public.

Mercy made it clear that she is fighting for her life adding that she wants him to sign an undertaking that he’d not come close to her.

“I am fighting for my life because if I die there would be no image to protect. I just want him to sign an undertaking that nothing would happen to me because a man who is capable of sending thugs to the house is capable of anything. Someone who can set me up and lie that I have mental illness can do anything. He should sign the undertaking and we should go our different ways. If not, I would leave the case to the appropriate agency and the law would take its full course,” she said.

1. Indigo

May 13, 2017 at 8:54 am

Why do I get the feeling that she’s hoping he will apologise and beg her so she will pack her load and go back to him..

• gia

May 13, 2017 at 1:24 pm

Because she’s a nigerian woman…they are trained to accept serial cheaters violent monsters,drug addict,drunkards as husbands….because “god hates divorce”

• Osa

May 13, 2017 at 8:33 pm

I sense more of fear in her that he will harm her. I dont think she wants him to beg. But, . . . so what if she does, so what???
      I’m sure she knew what she was doing before taking all this to social media. She’s trying to tone things down. Did u not hear that he is in kiirikiri?. More anger may be brewing in him.

2. john

May 13, 2017 at 9:14 am

@indigo exactly, but the truth is that it is the man that is actually tired of her and wants her out of his life as quickly as possible.if u listen to his interview with LIB ..u will find out that man wants to move on with his life as quickly as possible and their is another woman on standby and I suspect mercy knows this too…isnt also funny that she denies having an affair but went ahead to accuse her husband of b
    one …woman kai !!!

• gia

May 13, 2017 at 1:33 pm

John what’s wrong with you?
      Was your mother a violent woman that made you hate the female gender so much?
      Dis your ex girlfriend(did you even have any??)live you for a richer man?
      In fact,john,when was the last time you had sex??
      Or is it a health problem that is making you so freaking stupid and cruel with your words??
      Is it constipation?Is it erectile dysfunction?Or maybe hemorrhoids???
      Is it a religious problem?I know you nigerians like spiritual problem very much!
      Did your pastor tell you that your granny in the village is blocking your destiny?
      There MUST be something!
      Please just feel free to share your problems with us!
      Attacking people on this forum like a rabid dog isn’t going to help you!
      HELP US HELP YOU!

• Joy

May 13, 2017 at 5:52 pm

Shut up. You are one of the reasons women are being killed by their spouses in Nigeria daily. If he is tired, can’t he divorce her? Or he wants to carry out “till death do us part” literally? #noexcusefordomesticviolence

3. Favorkay

May 13, 2017 at 9:17 am

Fast and pray? For domestic violence? No tell me say if Dis crase show remorse, u go con go back o! Naim be say Na final die u dey cos Na people go help u dey narrate ur story! Na by force to stay marriage? God Abeg o! Good luck to u sha.

• Nkechi

May 14, 2017 at 1:22 am

Why can’t a person fast and pray concerning domestic violence. If na you, you would have landed in Redemption Camp, then branch in MFM. Must you go through something before you understand what another human being is going through.

4. northern princess

May 13, 2017 at 9:18 am

she still calls him husband! i have that same feeling as well. he just needs to go to church and say the right words and she will be right back with her ‘husband’. god give us wisdom please.

5. Sisi

May 13, 2017 at 10:00 am

‘He gets violent whenever he is angry and that is his problem.’ This one accurate thing she has said – as long as this remains the case this man will continue. Inability to express an emotion – immature/child like/under developed behavior.

6. Purplieciousbabe

May 13, 2017 at 10:17 am

She has every right to react and mention her husband. Yes if she wants begging that’s fine. She is entitled. The man had no RIGHTS to lay hands on her. Its not okay. How can you do that? He is a BEAST and should be fed to the LIONS. Times I like this I wish I studied law. Its horrible how the society condones BS. I feel bad for the next generation.

7. Why

May 13, 2017 at 10:42 am

Dear Mercy, I am not here to judge you but one thing i know is no one goes into marriage to be sad or with the thought that one day they will get beaten up like a criminal. I pray the ‘right authorities’ do not leave you when you need them most. I pray you are strong and bold enough to move on from such a brute and choose to live. I cannot blame you for choosing to stay for so long. I commend you for admitting that although not the best choice to make, you stayed because our people and even women are quick to condemn when they are not wearing the shoes. Be alert and watchful – abusive husbands are always vindictive and tend to always come back for thier pound of flesh after they have been dealt a hand. Please don’t bow to the pressures of a marriage obsessed society. Be focused and let your work continue to speak for you. Remember that if anything happened to you, a stranger will raise your kids. Stay safe and I hope you find peace after this storm. I hope you continue to thrive in the things you excelled at before all this. I hope you’re able to drown the judgemental comments and attitudes you will receive this period in the promises of God over your life and work at moving on because truth is God will not do for you what you can do for yourself – sending you all the love i have to give – From someone who once believed in love, was bold enough to walk away from violence and who was let down repeatedly by the ‘right authorities’ because someone had a lot of money to throw around. #reachoutandsupport
    #dontjudgeyouneverknowwhowillbeavictim
    #lovetrumpshate

8. Mo

May 13, 2017 at 10:48 am

And of what use will this undertaking be the next time he batters you black and blue or, worse, if he kills you?

9. Not Bitter Kola

May 13, 2017 at 11:03 am

Mercy is truly scared for her life . I hope you are able to put this ugly episode behind you and live a healthy life with your children.

10. Letty

May 13, 2017 at 12:29 pm

This shows how vulnerable she is. Abuse can make a woman desperate to stay with a jackass…i feel so much empathy towafds her. The man is obviously insanely jealous of her and might just want her dead. The terror and emotional agony of being in an abusive relationship is hideous. This guy is almost 20 years older than than her she needs to be encouraged to move on. Im sure she covered all this up because she has been married before and was anxious to make this work.

11. gia

May 13, 2017 at 1:35 pm

@ John John what’s wrong with you?
    Was your mother a violent woman that made you hate the female gender so much?
    Dis your ex girlfriend(did you even have any??)live you for a richer man?
    In fact,john,when was the last time you had sex??
    Is it constipation?Is it erectile dysfunction?Or maybe hemorrhoids???
    There MUST be something!
    Please just feel free to share your problems with us!
    Attacking people on this forum like a rabid dog isn’t going to help you!
    HELP US HELP YOU!

• john

May 13, 2017 at 6:11 pm

yawnnn ..calm ur tities down.. the same old cliche comment to any men u don’t agree with…boring?..I dont know whether u dumb feminist all read from the same stupid notebook…ure not even fit to be my housemaid or cleaner…go and help ur already frustrated self first before seeking help for someone with ur cheap android phone…what is wrong with my comment bcos I didn’t tow una screeming banshee, bandwagon line..u decide to write an epistle…I bet you , your more frustrated and miserable in life ..Go and fix yourself and leave my comment alone..see me see trouble..black women..kai!!

• john

May 13, 2017 at 6:15 pm

I am even suprised you didnt end your comment with your uns famous phrase “I am going to pray for me” bunch of black idiots” always coping quotes and statements from Hollywood media

• Mo

May 14, 2017 at 12:16 pm

@john, I’m actually just laughing at the cheap android phone part. I always read your comments and sometimes I wonder if there’s something you know that we don’t. From that comment, my guy, it is obvious that your problem is ignorance.

12. gia

May 13, 2017 at 1:36 pm

Bella you better post my comment!I wonder why you even let that fool spraid his hateful words everywhere and delete everybody’s else comments! -.-

13. hadiza

May 13, 2017 at 2:55 pm

If this fool gets back with that beast, I’ll know Nigerian women are worthless n without self esteem. Dencia n Huddah were so right. It’s time to stop baby sitting foolish women who go through domestic violence. if u don’t have common sense, die there. Enough of foolish women. ???

• Mama Ijebu

May 13, 2017 at 5:37 pm

Nigerian women are not worthless. What’s wrong with some people and generalisation. Direct your opinion to whoever and don’t generalise please.

14. john

May 13, 2017 at 6:11 pm

15. Kendra

May 13, 2017 at 6:50 pm

She is really scared for her life and I know the feeling. When a husband tells you severally “i will kill you” and has anger problems, believe him! Mercy, remain strong rally round those you trust move to a new home and lie low. He can do it, he can kill you. Be strong.

16. Gloryosa

May 17, 2017 at 10:18 am

Mercy Aigbe you tried sha. I do not envy women that tolerate this from men. This man wants you out of his life so let him go, Do not allow him to taint your image or mess you up any more than he has done.
    He nearly killed you. Leave this marriage as complete as you entered it.
    Stay Strong and Stand tall, for he will regret his actions.