The Women’s Technology Empowerment Centre– W.TEC invites aspiring young girls from all over to the country to the 10th W.TEC Girls Technology Summer Camp tagged ‘Girls Build Tech’. This camp provides an integrated learning approach, which centres on guiding the girls to explore information and communication technology (ICTs) that can be used to solve significant problems in their communities.
The W.TEC Girls Technology Camp helps to intervene early, combat stereotypes and tackle the digital gender divide. We teach girls to create digital content, develop programmes and develop skills that use information and communication technologies. Our two-week immersion programme empowers girls to contribute meaningfully to the digital economy and improve their economic opportunities. The long-term goal is to increase the number of women developing, working with and using information technology productively for professional and leadership activities.
This year’s camp will bring together no less than 40 rising high school junior and senior students between the ages of 13 – 17 years in a conducive residential, well-equipped facility to encourage them to build and explore the possibilities of technology in creative ways. It will also inspire the girls to get excited about STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) and groom them to be technology solution creators and innovators.
The technology camp offers a variety of fun and enriching hands-on projects, which teaches students how to build and use technology in dynamic and innovative ways. The 2017 W.TEC Girls technology Camp is supported through partnerships with Nokia via Global Giving, Google and Laureates College – Lagos.
Date: Sunday, July 23rd–Saturday, August 5th, 2017.
Venue: Lagos, Nigeria.
The W.TEC Girls Technology Camp includes the following classes and activities:
- Introduction to Programming Concepts
- Robotics Programming with LEGO Robotics Kit
- Introduction to 3D Animation
- 3D Modeling Design using Google SketchUp
- Printing Designs on a 3D Printer
- Virtual Reality Experience
- Introduction to Programmable Integrated Circuits using Assembling Language
- Developing a Prototype Microcontroller based System
- Basic Electronic and Circuits
- Technology Career Talks
- Excursions to Leading Technology Companies
- Gender and Leadership Workshops
- Extra-curricular activities
Cost: N40,000 (Highly-subsidized fee. Covers tuition, boarding, meals and educational materials)
Register at: http://bit.ly/2ostJ5F
The girls must be:
- Between the ages of 13 and 17 years
- In secondary school between JSS 2 – SSS 2
- Interested in deepening their knowledge of information technology
- Available from July 23rd – August 5th 2017
For further inquiries: Call 0809.781.4542, 0705.893.6746, 0806.311.4709