News

Heartbreaking… 4-Year-Old Boy Dies of Dry Drowning a Week After Swimming

BellaNaija.com

Tragic... 4-Year-Old Boy Dies of Secondary Drowning a Week After Swimming

A 4-year-old boy in Houston, Texas took his last breath about a week after a swimming trip with his family on Memorial Day weekend. Before he passed away, the little boy, Frankie, complained about a stomach ache and diarrhoea, then later complained about pain in his shoulders as well. It was later concluded that he died from dry drowning also known as secondary drowning.

His father, Francisco Delgado Jr. said;

“Out of nowhere, he just woke up. He said, ‘Ahhh. He took his last breath and I didn’t know what to do no more. Him throwing up, vomiting, there’s nothing uncommon about that. We didn’t think [Frankie] was gonna pass away or anything like that.”

Frankie’s mother, Tara, said paramedics and doctors made attempts to save her son.

“I walked in. I could see him lying there. They were still working on him. I’m screaming, ‘Let me just touch my baby. Maybe he needs his mama’s touch.’ ”

On the cause of death she said;

“When she [paramedic] came in, she told us it’s what’s called ‘dry drowning. His lungs were full of fluid. There was nothing else they could do for him.”

His father hopes his story can raise awareness for other parents with young children.

Photo Credit: Desiree Sosa/Facebook

1. Baby gurl

June 9, 2017 at 12:05 am

Oh my God this is so heartbreaking. What the heck. The little boy just died like that. Chai. RIP dear one.

2. o

June 9, 2017 at 1:17 am

What??! Lord. First time hearing dry drowning. Gosh so tragic may his soul rest in peace. Comfort for his family

3. Linda

June 9, 2017 at 3:16 am

The article should have been more informative. How can you just say “dry drowning” and walk away? What is it? How could it have been avoided? It is better to give substantial information than to just pity the parents.
    Well, thanks for the diagnosis, we can do our own searches. But this left an after taste of unfinished.

4. Wunmi

June 9, 2017 at 5:41 am

What the heck is dry drowning?God pls !!some things we take for granted though.Throwing up and diarrhoea is not uncommon in children and over here in d U.K. They tell you to just keep giving him fluids and no drugs are prescribed but u just have to let it run its course.Now reading this is really scary

5. Puzzles

June 9, 2017 at 8:01 am

What a cute child. sad.

P.S: If this happened in Nigeria, they will say it’s jazz.

6. Omo lara zion

June 9, 2017 at 8:31 am

I do not think it is appropriate for kids to swim, rip young one.

7. adelegirl

June 9, 2017 at 9:42 am

Okay, I had been pushing for my husband to take our toddler for swimming lessons – this just put paid to that. He can learn to swim when he is older.

Rest in heaven,. little Angel…

8. Amy

June 9, 2017 at 10:34 am

Where’s that Nigerian woman that put her baby in the water to learn how to swim!! and the baby was busy gulping water up and down in side the pool!! and when people condemned it you went all defensive!! you better get in here o!!!!!! dry drowning is a real thing!!! RIP my dear boy!!

• June

June 9, 2017 at 7:00 pm

@Amy,your point exactly is ???? Read more about dry drowning before coming to form madam know it all! This unfortunate event is not justification for not teaching children how to swim at a young age. Advocate for extra care , caution and vigilance instead of this “where is that Nigerian woman” attitude. It could happen to anyone , adults included.

• BijouxthisBijouxthat

June 9, 2017 at 11:09 pm

Lemme help you here :cc Maki O..
      Yea fixed!! ?
      I didn’t get her follow up post defending whatever tho

9. iJo

June 9, 2017 at 1:30 pm

OMG! My kids take swimming classes in school every week. And they are just 3 years old! This is so scary! May God comfort the Delgados and help us all.

• Jaygirl

June 9, 2017 at 6:10 pm

I’m do scared now. My son is just 22 months and has been taking swimming classes for the past 5 weeks. God abeg o.

• Jaygirl

June 9, 2017 at 6:10 pm

So scared*

10. Sherlie Holmes

June 9, 2017 at 4:47 pm

But how does one prevent the fluid from entering their lungs to cause this? I don’t want to prevent my kids from swimming out of fear, I hope I can find more info on this…

11. SMH

June 10, 2017 at 12:13 am

This is so sad. I found a few articles about dry drowning and swimming/water safety lessons are actually suggested as a preventative measure to make sure children are comfortable being in water.

12. tunmi

June 10, 2017 at 12:12 pm

BN what foolishness is this. So you bring an article without even bother to go into details. And now you have your readers panicked? Are you guys well at all? A common WebMD search for what dry drowning is and how it can be avoided, you don’t do.