Scoop

Adesua Etomi Opens Up About her Career, Friends, The Wedding Party & More in New Interview

BellaNaija.com

Adesua Etomi is the latest cover star for Guardian Life Magazine.

Adesua made her debut into the Nollywood film industry in 2014 with Knocking on Heaven’s Door and a year after bagged the Best Actress in a Drama Award at the 2016 Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards for her role in Falling. In 2017 she went on to become part of the cast for one of the highest grossing movies in Nigerian history The Wedding Party (TWP).

The award-winning actress sits down with Guardian Life Magazine as she talks about Nollywood, her career, how she got her role on The Wedding Party, close friends, future plans and more.

Read excerpts from her interview below

On what her strategy was when she came into the Nollywood industry: I didn’t come here thinking I am going to meet this person and meet that person, my strategy was prayer and divine connections. That was what I was going for, I wasn’t trying to look for who was going to help me or give me a handout. I knew what I wanted to become and I didn’t know how I wanted to get there but I knew the things I didn’t want to do to get there. I knew there were certain things that were associated with success and that’s preparation, staying prepared, keeping the work at the forefront of everything that I do.

On how she got her role for The Wedding Party: I auditioned just like everybody else. On the first day I came for the audition I read with three guys, so that’s three different stages then on my fourth audition stage I had to read with Banky and that’s when I got the role and that was when he got the role too because he went through the audition process as well. He had to read with myself and someone else before they finally decided on myself and him for the final pick.

On her inner circle: I’m very particular about my inner circle, you can count my closest friends on one hand and that’s because I believe you just need a few good friends, I am very friendly to everybody else. Also my family, my mum, those are the people that keep it all together for me and they are always there and you can’t beat that.

On how she balances her job: I just do it. As I’m talking to you since the beginning of this year, I have worked every single month, I have shot in South Africa for two months. I came back and went to shoot for a month in Nsukka. I just remember that I am a vessel and I just have to keep going because I owe it to myself, the fans and people that love watching what I do to do this. I also try to make a conscious effort to take a break, so once I am done with my projects towards the end of July, I’m going to give myself a little break and then come back.

On her plans for the future: At some point, my ten-year plan, maybe even less, is to open an orphanage, I love children and I am very passionate about people and children that need help, so I feel like I am going to be a mum to many.

Read more from the interview here

1. Delta geh

June 26, 2017 at 11:54 am

These pictures don’t do her justice. I actually don’t like em. Guardian could’ve done better. She’s a very pretty lady. And that hat? Hideous. I hate everything about the shoot

• Candy

June 26, 2017 at 1:25 pm

You mean like they should have heavily photoshopped her the way TY Bello did to Linda? These pictures look like real life Adesua. She is a fine lady but not finer as depicted above.

• Ottawa Queen

June 26, 2017 at 5:56 pm

.. .But Adesuwa likes the pictures. That’s all that matters right now.

• Cocolette

June 26, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Eez her husband’s hat

• Delta geh

June 26, 2017 at 10:15 pm

No that’s not what I mean. I mean they should’ve given her better outfits etc. Her face is gorgeous as always but those outfits are hideous. They don’t go together. Eg that hat with the white dress

• Delta geh

June 26, 2017 at 10:16 pm

Sorry black dress

2. Jules

June 26, 2017 at 12:03 pm

True I love Adesua but the styling abi naa creative direction I don’t dig.

3. Bonnie

June 26, 2017 at 1:04 pm

Look at my Susu baby! Love this girl. The combination of her beauty, intelligence and personality is really such a breath of fresh air! Life can only get better for her from here on, especially since she has God on her side.

4. Bolaji

June 26, 2017 at 1:26 pm

She looks good. Always takes great pictures. Hope she continues to grow as an actress.

5. Xoxo

June 26, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Just diff from what you see everyday. Doesn’t mean the pictures are not beautiful.

Adesuwa is big ..how many years in the industry and she’s been resourceful. Almost 600k on IG!!
    Mbok!!! Adesuwa is big!!!

She’s just starting. Ha!

• Jemimah

June 26, 2017 at 1:30 pm

She gained half of those followers after her engagement to Banky. No be by her power or might but by the spirit of association.

• Dainty

June 26, 2017 at 2:06 pm

So she’s big coz of the number of followers on her instagram ?

• Dainty

June 26, 2017 at 3:39 pm

So your definition of “BIG” is number of instagram followers?
      LOL

• Timi

June 26, 2017 at 11:50 pm

Less than two months ago, that number was around about 200k, though.

It doesn’t take away from the fact that she deserves all of the spotlight, but the engagement definitely added to those numbers

6. Xoxo

June 26, 2017 at 1:38 pm

She had 500k before they announced their engagement. So what are we saying?

• Xoxo

June 26, 2017 at 1:39 pm

You can check

• Key

June 26, 2017 at 2:18 pm

Nope she had just celebrated 300k followers few days before the announcement. I like her o, but the banky thing is really selling her market like it did for Annie idibia

• Jemimah

June 26, 2017 at 3:38 pm

No sweetie, you check. She celebrated 300k on the 1st of May. Her engagement announcement was on the 3rd.

7. Zarah

June 26, 2017 at 3:04 pm

@jemimah Spirit of gini?.. oh please shut it. She been doing good for herself as an actress, she has not been in the industry for a long time and she’s doing this good. Kudos to her. She’s one of the most marketable actresses out right now. Even though she won the AMVCA’s for best actress some years back, The Wedding Party really put her out there.

8. Shekena

June 26, 2017 at 3:53 pm

@jemimah ok and? She’s BEEN doing well for herself as an actress. She just started and she’s already doing this good, Kudos to her. “Spirit of Association” please that was very unnecessary. I personally think people started to take notice to her a whole lot after The Wedding Party. & even before that she was quite popular. Hope she continues to soar in her career.

9. Vic

June 26, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Lol not surprised at some of these comments. When you start getting hype and you are on that come up some people just start to hate for no reason. Adesua baby girl God’s got you, Continue to shine this is just the beggining

10. L

June 26, 2017 at 8:35 pm

Pretty girl, smart responses. Keeping it real. Good to have few real friends than many fake friends. I concurr.

Now Just for laffs, why did they not oil her feet or apply lotion, it appears to have white ashes *in Chimamdas voice during one of her speeches. Lol.

11. Bussygirl

June 28, 2017 at 6:00 pm

It’s so refreshing to see character, talent and beauty in this order in a young person in these times. Adesuwa is my eight year old daughter’s role model and she was in tears just this weekend when her older brothers were teasing her by saying that Adesuwa is not that fine…LOL! Go girl,the sky is just the beginning for you Mrs, Wellington!