Scoop

CNN Reporter Isha Sesay testifies to efficiency of Nigerian Healthcare System

BellaNaija.com

CNN reporter of Sierra Leonan descent Isha Sesay gave account of a recent incident when her mother fell ill in in Sierra Leone and she had to bring her down to Nigeria before she was properly treated.

BBC Africa reporter Uma Fofana had tweeted about the need for Sierra Leonan leaders to patronize the health care system in place in the country. Isha had asserted he agreement stating that when her mother fell in, she had to take her to Nigeria where she was well attended to by Nigerian doctor and nurses.

See screenshots below:

BellaNaija - CNN Reporter Isha Sesay testifies to efficiency of Nigerian Healthcare System BellaNaija - CNN Reporter Isha Sesay testifies to efficiency of Nigerian Healthcare System BellaNaija - CNN Reporter Isha Sesay testifies to efficiency of Nigerian Healthcare System BellaNaija - CNN Reporter Isha Sesay testifies to efficiency of Nigerian Healthcare System

1. Seriously

July 2, 2017 at 1:36 am

Sorry, I’m not impressed. Nigeria should and can do better. The largest black population, rich in resources. The amount of money we hear everyday that was and is embezzled is alarming. It calls for a time for revolution. I mean Nigerian healthcare should be better than a lot of African countries because it’s rich. But it’s nothing to be boasting about.
    Let’s not feel comfortable being mediocre.

• EE

July 2, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Nigeria isn’t rich, in cash or resources.

One of Nigeria’s problems is that many Nigerians believe in non-existent riches. On a per capita basis, we’re Africa’s 21st richest country, globally, we’re among the world’s 30 poorest.

So maybe, just maybe, we’re exactly where we ought to be.???

2. Simi

July 2, 2017 at 1:38 am

I knew this will pop up somewhere.

Eniyan o ki n tan ara bi Iya Ibeji

Yes, in comparison to a lot of African countries, Nigeria has a better health system but it is by no means stellar given Nigeria’s means

Sierra Leoneans have long gone to Ghana for medical care too. Keep in mind that Ebola also killed of many health personnel there.

I know many who have been mis-diagnosed here. Terminal disease type mis-diagnosis oh!

So no, no pat on the back

• Missappleberry

July 2, 2017 at 7:56 am

Terminal disease type misdiagnosis also happens abroad. Not just naija. Just so u know.

• Simi

July 2, 2017 at 9:03 am

Yes, Ma’am. I guess that makes it better. It can happen anywhere

I say we strive for better. To be the place where it never happens but what do I know

3. Agu

July 2, 2017 at 3:10 am

Nigeria is a great country that every black country in the world should look up to us to help them when the are in need that’s how strong we should be but corruption and the culture around it makes it hard to be a reality. We need make this country economically and other wise.

4. Simply Be

July 2, 2017 at 5:10 am

My own problem is with the health professionals who come across as petty when you take a different view from them about your care. In a world where I can get tons of information about options in medical care of the debilitating joint disease I was recently diagnosed with I am shocked that my specialist’s take on the matter is to back pedal and be unavoidably absent when I try to book appointments.

I think some medical professionals in Nigeria think they are demi-gods whose opinions should be taken as gospel.

I’m making appointments with specialists abroad who will take my fears and concerns on board and actually discuss the course of a particular treatment with me, make sure I’m completely comfortable with it before proceeding to actually treat. Instead of being turned into a pin cushion because dr such and such feels it’s their way or the highway.

My comment isn’t relevant to the article, sorry BN I needed to vent.

• Udegbunam Chukwudi

July 2, 2017 at 7:42 am

I feel you though it’s not a generalized problem. Some Nigerian medical doctors still have common sense and do their jobs efficiently.

• Udegbunam Chukwudi

July 2, 2017 at 7:43 am

Oops! I just saw some. My bad

• Randommer

July 2, 2017 at 9:56 am

the issue of petty doctors is not just limited to Nigeria, I have faced the issue many times here in the US as well. I just had to carry my load and go.

• Fine sisi

July 2, 2017 at 3:45 pm

My dear sister. Na so one ailment hook me o! Really really disgusting smell from always-accumulating- mucus at the back of my throat. I was perpetually blowing my nose everywhere i went. No doctor in naija diagnose am. Neither in Private and public hospital.
      So, I went to London. Same thing. One of the best hospitals o. They kept saying sinus infection which i knew it wasnt from the symptoms. I didnt feel any pain etc.they gave me nasal drops etc which didnt work. It chopped my money!

On my own I found that it was an allergy – or something of the sort- to sugar/sugary drinks.
      In hind sight, I found that it was always exacerbated whenever i had just taken tea with sugar or a soda on an empty stomach. I then reduced my sugar o. Till date complete relief after 3 yrs.. Till today no accurate diagnosis.

5. Physio Tinu

July 2, 2017 at 5:56 am

Ope oh. Not everytime bad news about Nigeria healthcare system. Yes we know we’re not there yet but something remarkable is happening. I give my word that we are changing healthcare stories in Nigeria for good. Why? Because Nigerians deserve the best.
    If I put our website now, bellanaija will not allow my comment. But people of God, be patient, we are going to show the world it can be #DoneinNigeria.

6. Physio Tinu

July 2, 2017 at 6:01 am

I just said make I try sha, maybe baba God will touch the moderator heart and allow us shine small…watch out for physiocraft dot come (pun intended)
    Happy Sunday fellow Nigerians

7. Symbee

July 2, 2017 at 6:37 am

As a healthworker in a government facility, I agree that the healthcare structure is far from adequate or appropriate. I only wish Nigerians appreciate that we work with limited resources (wage inclusive), and that can be very incapacitating

• nene+

July 2, 2017 at 7:31 am

You guys are taking this shine away with various complaint! Yes we know we can do better!
      If I were the government I will work to improve on this testimony to achieve medical tourism from other African countries.
      Yes our doctors are trying. No wonder they excel overseas.
      Bring Buhari back to Nigeria hospital and pay the bill into our economy.
      Aisha is by no means an easily impressed lady yet she is so excited about our health care.

8. bruno

July 2, 2017 at 7:33 am

girl pls just shut it. if Nigeria is such a good country, why not pack ur load from america and come and live here.

even our very own president cant use our health care cause he himself knows its trash and he doesn’t wants to risk his life in the hands of careless naija doctors.

pls stop trying to make naija look good to the world, cause that is false advertiment u are doing.

• Agu

July 2, 2017 at 11:52 am

People like you is the reason our our mentality of Nigeria is the way it’s. For ones accept the Good compliment someone gave your country. We are not perfect but we trying as a country.

9. Truth-be-told

July 2, 2017 at 8:27 am

She is not really advertising. She simply gave a personal testimony.

10. Poesy

July 2, 2017 at 10:29 am

Probably a private hospital, so while credits go to the Nigerian doctors who helped her, it’s not exactly the Nigerian healthcare system.

• Agu

July 2, 2017 at 11:57 am

She is just thanking us Nigeria for quality health care her mom recived when she brought her here and some people here start anti Nigeria rant.

11. Iya-mode

July 2, 2017 at 11:13 am

She is an elite. Her experience is not representative enough.

• Agu

July 2, 2017 at 11:54 am

Nigeria have good qualities about our country. We might not see it but people around the world can. We are still a great country.

• Shao

July 2, 2017 at 6:40 pm

Hahahah @agu. A-don-beliv-it. Great ke?

Big Loll at “people around the world see it.”

Is-ok

12. Anonymous

July 2, 2017 at 11:40 am

It’s a good thing Isha’s mom got better in a Nigerian hospital. Every conversation about healthcare in Nigeria revolves around the physician and therein lies the problem. We have NO HEALTH CARE system at all. We have practices and 3-room offices designated as “hospitals”. American health care system isn’t perfect but there is a structure in place with about 50 professional groups that make it a true system.

Until healthcare in Nigeria stops being about the physician alone it cannot become a structured system where patients have in some cases more power than the dr and humility leads to constant process improvements. A friend told me they sometimes give you medications in Nigeria without letting you know the name or what you are being given, in 2017!
    Until a government official stops stealing millions and keeping in soak aways we can’t even fund such a system. Thanks Isha but I lost a thirty something year old sister after a lot of spending but they couldn’t even diagnose gall bladder infection and remove it successfully.. it was after my friends and I were reviewing all the details here that we realized what killed her. I tried speaking to one of the “Demi demons” that killed her and he was boasting over the phone that.”he was a surgeon” as if we couldn’t contribute any knowledge from here to her treatment. She died. He is a “surgeon” as so many arrogant surgeons in Nigeria who leant surgery by using one cadaver to 200 students and become mediocre physicians.

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool, shun him. That’s a popular saying. Stop fooling yourselves. A friend had her womb taken out with her first born after a decade of Ives. Guess what, they don’t even pay for their liability. If it was here they won’t practice again after being taken to the cleaners financially.

13. Anonymous

July 2, 2017 at 11:42 am

I meant failed IVFs.

14. Anonymous

July 2, 2017 at 12:06 pm

They didn’t even start her on intravenous antibiotics, they were already talking about ICU fees when the husband already deposited money and we were even sending more. No regard for the sanctity of life. Why don’t you start treating the patient to save lives and talk about more money after a positive outcome is in view? They are not interested in improving the outcome but they will go on strike to increase their salary and pretend it’s to improve healthcare. No one should bother insulting me. One comment from a CNN junior reporter and some are giving themselves a pat on the back. Why is Buhari in England and not here if it is not a vote of no confidence. The government has no shame, a whole president!

15. Anonymous

July 2, 2017 at 12:08 pm

And please stop calling clinic “hospitals”. A hospital is a place with multiple specialized practitioners not a duplex in surulere. It’s ignorance at its peak!

16. Anonymous

July 2, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Most of the doctors overseas who are doing well overseas that we all refer to were not trained in the last 15 years when things totally collapsed in Nigerian universities so let’s get the information right. The physicians trained in Nigeria over 20 years ago as other professionals are first rate, world class.

Ask any of our parents generation, there was a time in Nigeria when an Indian Masters equaled a Nigerian first degree! Now we send kids to study in India because they improved and we regressed. They pocketed the funds meant to improve society. The ones trained in private universities that are not as good as some high schools in good public school districts here and dilapidated public universities that produced world class graduates decades ago are not doing as well. No abuse or ignorant comment as I’m only voicing my opinion that I’m entitled to.

Ask that your dr or pharmacist relative that just moved here 5 years ago what they are doing. Finding residences has become more difficult. You will be amazed at the no of Nigerian drs and other professionals working in other areas as car wash attendants and re-training to become nurses all over etc. Very few of the newly trained ones who did a lot of self study and other extras are practicing their profession. However no one looks down on anyone’s job here as long as they don’t pay your bills. As the standard of education goes so goes everything else.

17. Baby gurl

July 2, 2017 at 2:05 pm

She definitely was treated at a private hospital. 85% of Nigerians cannot afford the so called “efficient” private medical care. We need an overhaul of the health sector. There is a dearth of efficient public health care. Nothing works. People are dying needless deaths. Imagine my best friend dying from common athsma in 2014. No ambulance, no emergency healthcare line, long ques, payment before service, no equipment, the only specialist in the hospital is on vacation. Everything jagajaga. We are operating an animal farm in Nigeria. Jungle things.

18. Physio Tinu

July 2, 2017 at 2:32 pm

Thank you moderator. Thank you ??

19. Alexander

July 2, 2017 at 5:10 pm

The issue is relative. So Nigeria health system is better than that of Sierra Leone no matter how bad it is. So relative to Sierra Leone, Nigeria is better