Weddings

BN Weddings – Video: The “Garter Removal” that went Viral

BellaNaija Weddings

Though it’s not very popular here in Nigeria, removing the garter during a wedding reception is basically the groom’s equivalent to the bride’s bouquet toss.

For the groom to perform this, the bride sits on a chair while her new husband goes under her wedding dress to remove garter belt off her leg (most time with his teeth) and then he tosses it to a crowd of bachelors. Similar to the bouquet toss, the guy lucky enough to catch it will be next to get married.

That being said, this African uncle of the bride had other plans for his niece’s garter removal at her wedding.

Watch the video below:

It’s not an African tradition so we can understand the culture shock he must have experienced after seeing that! Here’s what he had to say;

See his son’s reaction below.

Hope this made you laugh, share your thoughts below!

1. Lol

September 13, 2017 at 8:13 am

Explicit – I couldn’t even watch – that groom was insatiable – poor uncle – probably thought he was about to do cunnilingus – I mean that was public foreplay!

• Jumawale

September 14, 2017 at 12:11 pm

LOL, simply terrible… it was embarassing, culturaly disaprotpriate, enough shame to go around, reminded me,of the Christina Aguilera/Redman Video. but if this was in the states then maybe it was ok. But childish meets an extremely classles bride and a bunch stupid attendees for a wedding.

2. BlueEyed

September 13, 2017 at 9:00 am

Those dudes that went after the uncle are not alright….were they enjoying It? And is he their mate?

3. www.thelmathinks.com

September 13, 2017 at 9:14 am

The groom was too too extra biko, and annoying af. I was embarrassed on his behalf ?

4. i must talk

September 13, 2017 at 9:26 am

Garter ko Catarrh ni. That is not our culture, PERIOD! Imagine a guy searching for a garter during the bride’s monthly flow?

• Mrs M

September 14, 2017 at 8:08 pm

This is not your wedding… Period!!!

5. momo

September 13, 2017 at 9:44 am

so far your african elders and relatives where watching he should have not gone so extra ..its disrespectful ..they may have thought he wanted to lick her or whatever ….

6. bolintin

September 13, 2017 at 10:46 am

Me i have never even understood what they were looking for. Now that you say it is garter i hear even though i still nor understand why they need to put their head under the wife in front of guests. I have always found it very embarrassing and this was even extra embarrassing.

I like the uncle and wish the groom and bride all the best.

• Lilo

September 13, 2017 at 2:10 pm

Yea. They will need a lot of luck. That boy looks like a straight up unhinged juvenile

7. keke driver

September 13, 2017 at 11:05 am

His Uncle wasn’t having it at all…lmao

8. Bukunmi

September 13, 2017 at 12:02 pm

I find this quite embarrassing and lacking in decorum. This would have been more suited for a privates “get together” with friends without the phones.

9. semesee

September 13, 2017 at 12:58 pm

Africans have come with over sabi ! The oyinbos that started it just kneel down and remove garter jeje! Please for the wedding of any child of mine….. nothing of such!!!

10. Lilo

September 13, 2017 at 1:13 pm

I don’t think the comedic spin on this matter should overshadow the Blatant uncouth manners displayed by the groom. This is what happens when poorly trained boys wake up and start getting married just because girls are lined up waiting. For them to put a ring on it. That boy can’t be older gan 28 years old and not to jinx them, there are tons of mistakes ahead of him. He just needs to learn from his own mistakes. That groom is a disgrace to be so raunchy in a room full of guests. Even the bride looks embarrassed

• Xyz

September 13, 2017 at 2:31 pm

as in ehn, what happens when you marry a fuckboy. The bride appears to be preggers too.

11. zzzzzzzzzzz

September 13, 2017 at 1:34 pm

Whatever that garther is, I have never seen it in all the weddings I have been to and to be honest doesn’t look descent

12. maygurl

September 13, 2017 at 2:41 pm

Whatever it is he was doing,…it was too embarrassing, I don’t know what the guy was thinking. uncle saved the day with what he did jare.

13. Viv

September 13, 2017 at 3:56 pm

With kids everywhere, some things should be left in the bedroom biko……

14. Lailatu

September 13, 2017 at 4:01 pm

I like the Uncle jor. The groom put the bride in a uncomfortable position.

15. ogeAdiro

September 13, 2017 at 5:46 pm

This is how fight starts. If this uncle was from my mom’s side of the family, fight fit bust out here. Know your audience oh…

• Mrs M

September 14, 2017 at 8:10 pm

Lmaoooo… U had take style and yab ur maternal uncles
      No be small fight… Lol

• Mrs M

September 14, 2017 at 8:12 pm

Haf*….. Autocorrect I no send u message

• IchieBass

January 27, 2018 at 2:25 pm

Lol,your uncle no get joy

16. stacy_kema

September 14, 2017 at 5:47 pm

I watched the video n i was so embarrassed for the groom. He behaved so childish wat kinda stupid dance steps was that? and besides what kinda man puts wifey in such an uncomfortable position? that groom needs proper grooming and home training.

17. 2xboo

September 17, 2017 at 6:17 am

I guess he thought he was Magic Mike……….eyah

18. Ashabi

September 26, 2017 at 5:23 pm

Nigerians are so judgmental! For those of this saying this isn’t “our culture,” well neither are white weddings or Christian weddings. Our ancestors did not marry in churches 200 years ago. We all handpick which aspects of Western traditions we choose to practice. I didn’t do this at my wedding either because it would make me uncomfortable, but I don’t understand why the character of the bride and groom need to be put into question because they made a different decision for themselves. Live and let live.