Relationships

Gabrielle Union bravely opens up about Heartbreaking Infertility Struggles – “I have had eight or nine miscarriages”

BellaNaija.com

Gabrielle Union photographed at her home in Malibu, CA, on September 10, 2017.
Photographer: Mike Rosenthal

Actress Gabrielle Union has bravely spoken out about the infertility challenges that she and her husband Dwyane Wade have experienced in the course of their relationship together.

Dishing about her upcoming book and what to expect in it, she says that she has had eight or nine miscarriages and that for three years her body has been a prisoner of trying to get pregnant. She says “I’ve either been about to go into an IVF cycle, in the middle of an IVF cycle, or coming out of an IVF cycle.”

The 44-year-old actress also open up in the soon-to-be-released book “We’re Going to Need More Wine” that through all the fertility issues, she and her husband have remained so in love and ready to do anything to meet the child they’ve both dreamed of.

The star of BET’s Being Mary Jane” tied the knot with basketball star Dwyane Wade in 2014. In an interview with People Magazine, she says “I never wanted kids“, however, after years of joyfully co-parenting her step-children, she had a change of heart and started to desire a child.

Gabrielle is sharing her story with the hope that it will be other women who are secretly battling infertility but under immense pressure from family, friends and the public.

“For so many women, and not just women in the spotlight, people feel very entitled to know, ‘Do you want kids?…A lot of people, especially people that have fertility issues, just say ‘no’ because that’s a lot easier than being honest about whatever is actually going on. People mean so well, but they have no idea the harm or frustration it can cause.”

Hugs to Gabrielle and baby dust to all our BN mums and dads in waiting.

1. ejogene

October 4, 2017 at 3:35 pm

My beautiful Gabby! You will have children, God is able.

• debby

October 4, 2017 at 3:55 pm

Amen to that!

2. momo

October 4, 2017 at 4:32 pm

solution may be surrogacy ask kim k.

3. kkay

October 4, 2017 at 4:50 pm

Keep faith, girl. God will give you a baby as beautiful as you are. Trust him.

4. Olori

October 4, 2017 at 5:22 pm

Jesus Christ. 8 or 9 miscarriages!!???. Chai. People are going through shit sha. Gaby, your child will come in Jesus name o.

5. Linda

October 4, 2017 at 5:34 pm

For more than twenty years I’ve followed Gabrielle and read all her interviews and over and over and over again she always stated I DO NOT WANT KIDS and I NEVER WANT KIDS,

What you say with your mouth is honored.

If y’all like Google some of her interviews from ten or 15 yrs ago with key words * Gabrielle union I do not want kids and every one should respect that..*

Becareful what you use your mouth to say. Eg I do not want kids, I’ll never get married, I am broke etc. Be very careful.. From your mouth to God.

• john

October 4, 2017 at 5:52 pm

hmmm…food for thought..we are sometimes the architect of our problems..if she was in Nigeria ..she would have blamed her village people with the help of a pastor…not know she may be the one that caused it…anyway she can go and adopt

• slice

October 4, 2017 at 6:42 pm

Shut up. We don’t have to Google. She said it up there too. No nonsense is being honored. If your nonsense theiry eirked all those desiring would have by now.

• Aiit

October 4, 2017 at 8:14 pm

6. Cocolette

October 4, 2017 at 6:34 pm

Maybe get a surrogate?

7. Ms S

October 4, 2017 at 7:09 pm

Ugh, this just breaks my heart, poor Gabby! My heart goes out to all the women having infertility struggles especially those that actually get pregnant and then miscarry, so sad! Imagine the excitement and hope only for it to be dashed over & over 🙁 I felt terrible for OAP Toolz as well when it became apparent she’d had a miscarriage too 🙁 and some people actually have the nerve to blame the women, like Toolz for announcing it and drawing attention or some on here blaming Gabby because she did not want kids before, how insensitive! You can never understand the pain so either show compassion or be quiet! May God see us through our struggles & increase us in faith, hang in there ladies, your time of joy will come very soon! Ameen

• Jana

October 4, 2017 at 7:33 pm

You didn’t have to bring her into this. You’re no different from the insensitive people you are berating. Nonsense!

• Ephi

October 4, 2017 at 8:38 pm

Ms S, just say you want to share gist with style ehn, under the guise of this “compassionate” epistle.

• Ms S

October 4, 2017 at 9:33 pm

Jana and Ephi I am simply sharing my opinion so please respect it, what I shared is common knowledge and is everywhere on the blogs and the fact that I wrote it here does not show any less compassion, thank you!

• Adanne

October 5, 2017 at 8:45 am

You are worse than the people you spoke about…keep her name out of your mouth …

8. Adamazi

October 4, 2017 at 7:34 pm

May our good Lord shine his light on her and us all and bless all of us with our hearts desire, Amen

9. Professor X

October 4, 2017 at 7:37 pm

This high number of miscarriages raises clinical suspicion for antiphospholipid syndrome. I cannot imagine how heartbreaking it must be to miscarry 9 times. If she still desires children, she could consider using IVF with a surrogate

• Marvel

October 4, 2017 at 8:37 pm

It is ridiculous to put your body through such physical upheaval. She should consider a surrogate. The emotional strain of losing each of those 9 pregnancies can’t be easy. Well, my friend had her baby after 10 miscarriages over a 10 year period. I wish you well, Gabby!

10. Dlapikin

October 4, 2017 at 10:54 pm

What infertility struggle? she’s no spring chicken. You shouldn’t expect to get pregnant easily past 35. It’s called nature. And no wine won’t help. That’s actually one of the things to slow down on to increase your odds. Infertility struggle is when you are actually within your prime and it’s not happening. these hollywood people!

• Random

October 4, 2017 at 11:07 pm

Very dumb and insensitive comment. Regardless of science, it is God that has the final say on who He blesses with children. I know several her has that have gotten pregnant and birthed easily and several younger ones who have not.
      We have no control over our destinies and so no need to shame any age.

11. Comment

October 4, 2017 at 11:08 pm

*her AGE* typo

12. African

October 5, 2017 at 8:46 am

I am a Nigerian daughter in law, and I have had eight miscarriages. I understand if you are a married woman, having children is expected for most Nigerians. I can totally related to Gabriele Union’s story. The pain of going through a miscarriage is terrible. I must say however, I was lucky that I was not based in Nigeria, bcos the pressure would have been even more. My in laws were very supportive, although our church found a way to say the issues were mine, and I had to deal with them spiritually. In fact I remember attending all “fire” ministries in my town looking for solutions, I even met pastors that were bluntly asking for money to perform deliverances. The fact is that through the grace of God, we had a child recently, and indeed our God is faithful. Luckily I come from a society where a miscarriage is not a taboo, although eight miscarriages is something else. Through this period I often felt like my husband wasnt as supportive as I expected him to be, fact is that men go through their own motions of frustration when such things happen. I also came to realise that, God has different purposes for different people. Not everyone will become parents. If you are going through something like this, I am sorry. Find joy and and find your purpose in the Lord through serving Him the best way you can, with or without children, His joy will be your strength.

13. IJS

October 5, 2017 at 5:49 pm

Gabrielle Union is what? 44? 45? High school biology teaches us that a woman’s most fertile years is in her teens, twenties and thirties. Biologically, most times, a woman in her 40’s looking for children is like a man in his 80″s looking for kids. Fertility has depreciated. While of course, you need to find the right person to produce a child with; you need to be realistic and put these things into consideration early enough. Also, I don’t think Gabrielle Union is a Christian (not church goer) so this is not even about being a Christian now.