News

Harvey Weinstein’s wife Georgina Chapman says she’s “chosen to leave” him

BellaNaija.com

Harvey Weinstein wife Georgina Chapman is Leaving Him - BellaNaija

Producer Harvey Weinstein (L) and designer Georgina Chapman. (Photo by Dan MacMedan/Getty Images)

Georgina Chapman, designer at Marchesa and wife of embattled Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein, has said she’s leaving him.

Speaking to People Magazine, Chapman, 41, who married Weinstein in 2007 and has 2 children with him, said:

My heart breaks for all the women who have suffered tremendous pain because of these unforgivable actions.

I have chosen to leave my husband. Caring for my young children is my first priority and I ask the media for privacy at this time.

Her exit from their marriage is on the wake of a New Yorker story alleging 3 cases of rape against the producer, separate from the sexual harassment claims made by some women in a New York Times investigation.

Weinstein had earlier said him and Chapman had spoken “at length” adding that she will be standing by him through it.

He had said:

She stands 100 percent behind me. Georgina and I have talked about this at length

Angelina Jolie and Gwyneth Paltrow had also come forward on Tuesday to say they too were harassed by Weinstein earlier in their careers.

University of Southern California has also decided not to accept a $5 million endowment from the producer.

According to Buzzfeed, the endowment was intended to fund a scholarship for women directors in the university’s school for cinematic arts.

Weinstein had, in his statement the New York Times apologising for his conduct, mentioned the endowment, writing:

One year ago, I began organizing a $5 million foundation to give scholarships to women directors at USC. While this might seem coincidental it has been in the works for a year.

Photo Credit: Dan MacMedan/Getty Images

1. RIFF RAFF

October 11, 2017 at 12:49 pm

If it was here, wifey would have said those women want to scatter her marriage, thunder fire them, those women are nothing but runz who envy , want her place and she will stay . Oh yes , you will see photos of peppers with pepper dem gang hashtags and say God got her back. lolz
    We’ve seen worse nah, husbands being given blow jobs and deny outrightly their families on TV live for all to see, battered, defrauded women whose family members get publicly ridiculed only to come out and say rubbish.

The list is long and is not in a hurry to get short.
    Before i forget, this is Africa. That is how it works for us.

• British-Nigerian

October 11, 2017 at 2:25 pm

If she were Tiwa Savage she would’ve said ‘I’m going to stay with my husband because men and women aren’t equal.’
      Hell, he could’ve drugged and raped another women in front of her and she probably would’ve stayed.
      And Nigerian women would’ve applauded her loudly and called the other woman a liar
      Thank God I’m not a woman in Nigeria!
      Whew! #godsavethequeen

• Author Unknown

October 11, 2017 at 2:53 pm

Lol. I find it a tad hypocritical that Nigerians are up in arms about the Weinstein issue, when Weinstein would fit perfectly into the Nigerian setting.

• ND babe

October 11, 2017 at 10:28 pm

These hollywood people self – as if she did not meet him through his harassment strategy. She must have been a hustler actress trying to be found and he zoned in on her. Now she wants to claim righteousness. You know how im be when im find you. Were you expecting a different sundown story? Bae is just cashing out while the sun is still out at the bank.

2. By The Way

October 11, 2017 at 1:18 pm

As much as I do not agree with or condone what Weinstein has done I also feel theres hypocrisy in a lot of of ways. The actors or actresses coming out benefited from him and his company and didn’t need to work with him at all. They on several occasions worked for him and maybe would have continued if not for this incident. Every human being has a flaw, this is his. Shows it takes on thing to bring a man down but many acts to take him up. The entertainment industry has a cancer and its not only in Hollywood but across board. Sexual harassment on both women and men as well as race is very common. It also stems from we the audience asking for balance and representation at all cost which opens doors of maltreatment and taking advantage of someone. Harvey is a scapegoat to what happens at even acting school levels and in record studios. Those he took advantage of are not clean, they wanted to be ahead and were willing to let what he did slide to go ahead. Just by the way before everyone abandoned this man and months down the line he is found dead in a hotel room alone, we all as human beings can show empathy to those who wronged us knowing fully well we could have possibly done worse if we were in that position. On the issue of marriage, its amazing how the wife who am sure knew this for years conveniently used this as a reason to leave her husband. How fickle the marriage of the 21st century are now. One wrong turn by either member and its over, or forgiveness or effort to support someone we love even if they carry a flaw that we can help remove.

• Anon

October 11, 2017 at 1:55 pm

“The actors or actresses coming out benefited from him and his company and didn’t need to work with him at all. They on several occasions worked for him and maybe would have continued if not for this incident.”

Not all.

Angelina Jolie, chose not to work with him after that and warned others who chose to work with him about it.

Mira Sorvino believed her career suffered because of the rejection. She forged on maybe because of her powerful Dad. Similar to Rosanna Arquette.

Well done to Ronan Farrow and the New Yorker for publishing a long investigative piece exposing Weinstein. Poor Ronan (has a long history of such in his family, Mia and Woody Allen. Scratch that, Mia and Frank Sinatra. I don’t even know anymore.) 🙂

Now, expose the rest. BTW she’s 41 and he’s 65. Hmm!

• Fear God...

October 11, 2017 at 2:10 pm

I’m not sure I clearly understand the point you are trying to make. Nothing about what Weinstein did is justifiable; not even if the victims used it to ‘get ahead’. Most of these people were harassed early on in their careers, when they were probably looking for that big break and as most have said, were too scared to speak up for fear of losing out on future roles.
      About empathy, there is a place for that but there’s also a place for calling out bad behaviour. If this had not happened, Weinstein would have continued his harassment so this is quite welcome.

• Randommer

October 11, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Are you an undercover rapist too? Please tell us your real name and where you worked. Many people he assaulted left acting forever or had their careers set back, some reported him and he came after them with lawyers. This is like trying to go after Tinubu, does everyone have liver for that? Weinstein is responsible for his actions and him alone. In time, all the people that enabled him or looked the other way will get theirs. As for his wife, she has Marchesa to think about

• Jennifer

October 11, 2017 at 2:19 pm

Excuse me but what you just wrote is wrong and is victim shaming- which is the reason why many abusers escape being brought to book. It is like insinuating that a victim of rape benefitted from or enjoyed the sexual inter course. People in positions of power and authority have a higher moral obligation especially in their relationship with others- this is so because of the number of people they can reach. Need I also remind you that the alleged victims are also very talented people and there is nothing wrong with being ambitious. But to claim that they ‘wanted’ of chose to be abused- whether or not they walked away- is nothing short of a disgrace. The outrageous accusations are disturbing, as many of them were very young when this happened to them. I know of someone I’m power who when asked about the young ladies he lured (sexually assaulted) claimed that they also wanted it. I was one of them and it was the most confusing period of my life. Please do not make light of these cases and if you have nothing helpful to say, keep quiet.

• British-Nigerian

October 11, 2017 at 2:32 pm

@Anon Don’t forget he assaulted Rose McGowan in 1997 and she had to take a settlement and let it go. Harvey, Woody Allen, all these people are sexual predators

• Jennifer

October 11, 2017 at 2:34 pm

More so, I have no sympathy for this man. He made his decisions and is reaping the fruits. Now, this is not a flaw- it is pure premeditated selfishness that has irreparably hurt people’s lives and livelihoods. He has inevitably destroyed lives because of his position and platform and took advantage of young women with valid dreams! If he is a sex addict, now that’s a different issue and can be rehabilitated.

As for his wife, she may not have known the extent of it all (the accusations) and regardless, she is bold to have walked away.

• By The Way

October 11, 2017 at 2:54 pm

No am no way condoning the act but you may be looking at this from outside the industry. Its not only prone to men (theres an article on Bellanaija today on a Hollywood actor who had such an experience) by the way so let’s no drag the debate that its only women that can be in this position. My input is just stating some status quo and consequences. I work in this industry and I assure you there are worse men than him that are around. While this is a welcome development its also important not to say some of those who worked with him were not aware of who he was. There’s mention of Angelina Jolie not working with him again, she is just one out of hundreds who could not stand the “PRICE”. Check out IMDB to see how many movies and the roster of names of people who have worked with him.

Sympathy is not empathy. Empathy in this case would be reasoning out a human beings existence and putting yourself in someone else’s shoe. That includes what could have driven him into doing this in the first place and trying to move past his flaws.

The point of my input also is to get us all thinking if we know this, that there are people like this and yet everyday people fall into their trap. I think times its on their own out of desperation. So we can curb this menace.

• tunmi

October 11, 2017 at 3:32 pm

STOP!!!!!!!! Please stop!!!! Your original comment is not the same as your second one. So please stop!
      You blamed the victims! You accused them of basically agreeing to it! You have empathy for this man. That’s your choice. But do not put the blame, any blame, on the people he harassed and abused with his power.

It’s disgusting.

Also, since you are “in this industry” try speaking out.

• Jennifer

October 11, 2017 at 5:23 pm

Dear ‘By the Way’ your second argument is so flawed and senseless. Same as the first. Claiming that those people knew who he is/was, regardless of whether they had the courage to walk out or not, is excusing his behavior. Period!

Secondly, to also think that you are in the industry is a huge reason for worry and quite frankly is deeply concerning.

By the way, no one claims that this case is worse because the alleged victims are females, only you. Victims are victims, whether male or female and the impact of sexual assault or abuse knows no gender. So please open your mind.

His actions CANNOT be justified in any way.

• Jennifer

October 11, 2017 at 5:35 pm

Dear ‘By the Way’ your second argument is so flawed and senseless. Same as the first. Claiming that those people knew who he is/was is excusing his behavior. To also think that you are in the industry is a huge reason for worry and quite frankly is disturbing.

By the way, no one claims that his case is worse because most of the alleged victims are female, only you. Victims are victims, whether male or female and the impact of sexual assault or abuse knows no gender. So please open your mind.

His actions CANNOT be justified in any way.

• By The Way

October 11, 2017 at 5:50 pm

I have made valid arguments Jennifer and I have not even attacked you when replying. Look the point is to avoid such people in the first place. If you are aware that such people exist you will be careful who you do business with. The industry is small even in the United States and no one can claim they have not known about his behaviour for years. There are records to prove this dating back 25years how he harassed women. How come until recently people are coming out. Am of the school of thought if you know who he is call me out from the get go, don’t yield to his demands so that no one else will fall prey. The problem is most won’t out of their own greed for fame and money. This issue is unique as there are lots of talented people in Hollywood so getting a break most times is not out of talent but connection. These men prey on people who are gullible and its same for Nigeria industry. If you want the shortcut you will pay a price. Your argument that am blaming the victims is baseless…. if you read well I said for the get go no condoning his action. My comments are inline for correction and avoiding such men not putting victims to shame. No one is so naive to think a man with an endless list of accusations like Harvey would play nicely. I have read countless articles about him before now. Let’s argue with facts and not emotions.

• tunmi

October 11, 2017 at 6:32 pm

Well since you also know more of him, kuku call them out na? Or, by your reasoning, are you keeping quiet because of the fame?

Many didn’t come out before because we as a global society are just now (late as it is) realizing and coming to terms with the fact that rape is about power and sexual assault is an abuse of power. They come out now because they found the strength to, and because we as a society are FINALLY paying attention to it. Many many many men (focusing on men here) have been accused of sexual assaults in the past and NOTHING has happened to them!

It is NOW (in the past 10 years oh) that sexual assault accusations are actually taken seriously. Remember former MD of IMF: Dominique Strauss-Khan, that was in 2011. Before then, nothing would have happened to him. Even Bill Cosby, back then nothing happened to him. Even R Kelly…nothing.

• ♫ It's a ma-an's world♫

October 12, 2017 at 12:04 am

My thoughts exactly. I keep wondering how many of them kept quiet and still worked with him. But It is not always easy to speak out and we should also try to understand the victims’ point of view (see Terry Crews twitter post). I have found that telling a powerful man he is wrong will cause a lot of discomfort, both financial and emotional. I have suffered too many times as a female that tries to stand for truth and, in my old age (thirties), am beginning to comprehend why women always put up with the bullshit men do – and it’s a lot of bullshit. The security, the promise of financial, physical/ sexual or emotional gain are all too much to disregard. One word from a powerful man can destroy contacts you have spent months building just because you dared to tell him to behave. Unfortunately, because 99% of women “go with the flow”, it makes the few women like me who try very hard to speak the truth and get rid of such men, seem like unhinged, depressed, crazy bats when we tell these men that the things they do are highly inappropriate. It’s still a damned man’s world.
      So please, pity all the women, including the wife, that either put up with or turn a blind eye to a man’s unwanted advances (please read Terry Crews twitter posts).
      Bless.

• wifematerial

October 13, 2017 at 2:23 am

you do make sense!

3. Californiabawlar

October 11, 2017 at 1:37 pm

As much as he is a scumbag, I hope he has a support system in place cos this just another tragedy waiting to happen. This ninja is likely to end up dead.
    Consequences, consequences… it’s always so difficult to say when it’s enough… or even know IF it’s enough. Who knows how many women who’s lifes he may have drastically derailed as well? All I know is I really hate reading about suicide. Ugh! ?

• miss_nk

October 11, 2017 at 2:08 pm

I don’t care, he should die for all I care, he assaulted and raped women. The women’s lives he affected are what I care about

• tunmi

October 11, 2017 at 3:34 pm

You’re welcome to support him.

Remember Nate Parker of Birth of a Nation. The girl he and his friend raped suffered mental trauma and committed suicide. We may never know just how many people this man harmed. So if he dies (people like him usually do not commit suicide), I’m sure his victims will rest a bit easier.

• californiabawlar

October 11, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Okay guys, like I said in my comment: “…I don’t now have badly his behavior has affected women” @Tunmi’s example with Nate Parker’s victim is definitely one of the cases I had in mind. Trust me, I have ZERO empathy for him. I was harassed by a big-time professor my last year in undergrad. The experienced made me give up on a major I was passionate about for 3 solid years. Along with other things that had gone wrong with my life, I lost any ambition and partied hard those 3 years. My family couldn’t understand what was going on especially cos I had been somewhat of a nerd most of my life. It took God’s intervention through my brother to get me out of the rot.
      So no! I will not support him. I just really hate suicide… I wish it were a criminal case and he would actually do jail time.

4. honeybelle

October 11, 2017 at 1:58 pm

What happened to helping him work through his issues since he had already admitted guilt? What happened to for better for worse? Sheeeeesh!
    People, we all need to try working on our weaknesses if not, they’ll pull you down when the ovation is loudest.

• Le coco

October 11, 2017 at 4:40 pm

for better or worse? she should stay narrowed to a sexual predator when she has kids? pls stop

• Kareem

October 11, 2017 at 5:55 pm

When he rapes her child, I hope you wont be spouting this gibberish. Ode!

• Lilo

October 11, 2017 at 9:42 pm

A real Nigerian wife has spoke . Round of applause.

5. Lilo

October 11, 2017 at 2:29 pm

Awon awo bill Cosby ati Donald trump

6. Mrs chidukane

October 11, 2017 at 2:36 pm

I didn’t know she was married to him. Talk about marrying a big fish. The party is sadly over. Pity.

• BlueEyed

October 11, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Honey, she married him for his money, he helped build her Marchesa brand, made actresses wear her dresses on the red carpet and gave her the clientele.
      I do not condone Mr Harvey’s behavior over the years, but name any 10 Hollywood big names or oscar winners in recent times and at least 6 got there through Harvey Weinsten. Punish him but the double standards of Hollywood is bad, people he helped will start turning their backs on him and speaking through one side of their mouths, Gwyneths only Oscar win came through this man and look at her “coming forward” now.
      Punish the crime but don’t kick a man when he is down.

• Ida

October 11, 2017 at 5:57 pm

A sexual predator is an animal and not a man so we aren’t kicking anybody

• Anon

October 12, 2017 at 12:15 am

“but name any 10 Hollywood big names or oscar winners in recent times and at least 6 got there through Harvey Weinsten.”

Blue Eyed – that’s an overestimation. In the last ten years, 2 or 3 (maybe Christoph Waltz.) Male actors like Daniel-Day Lewis, Samuel L Jackson, Colin Firth, Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt cannot attribute their success to him. For D.D-L and L.Di – more of Scorsese.
      For female actors – maybe 2 (Jennifer Lawrence, today’s rumour has it is that she gained a lot from him because she agreed to his advances and maybe Amy Adams.) Actors like Meryl Streep, Judi Dench, Cate Blanchett, Kate Winslet and Julia Roberts do not owe their careers to him.

Gwyneth Paltrow – clearly helped by her parents Bruce Paltrow and Blythe Danner.

7. Author Unknown

October 11, 2017 at 2:49 pm

Pretty hasty decision in my opinion, unless she’s known all along what we now all know, and is embarrassed by it.

• Hmmmm

October 11, 2017 at 3:06 pm

Do you know who she is. She Co-founded and Co-owns a bridal and female fashion line, Marchesa. Women will boycott her business like in 1,23…go!

• ANon

October 11, 2017 at 3:31 pm

HASTY? She should have taken time to consider livingwith a rapist? Chai Nigerians do worship marriage sha

• BlueEyed

October 11, 2017 at 5:00 pm

@Hmmmn what business, the one that he helped build? business that he heavily invested in?? Georgina is nothing without Harvey.

• Wow

October 11, 2017 at 5:14 pm

So you are all saying she should stay with a rapist because he invested in her. Noted. MEN should start staying with women who have children for other men because she cooked for him and invested financially too.

• Lilo

October 11, 2017 at 9:41 pm

Spoken like a true delusional Nigerian wife

8. tunmi

October 11, 2017 at 3:36 pm

Sexually harassing people (not 1) is NOT a flaw.
    Flexing your might and power over seemingly helpless people is NOT a flaw.
    Abusing people is NOT a flaw.

9. Jummy

October 11, 2017 at 3:41 pm

But he admitted his guilt and said he’s willing to be a better man. One would think she would be there to stand by him with so much criticism surrounding him.

Anyway, what do I know? To each his own. Speaking of, there are no female sexual harassers in Hollywood? They only seem to care when it’s men.

• Marylyn

October 11, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Rapist/rapist apologist alert:

“But he admitted his guilt and said he’s willing to be a better man” – So?

“One would think she would be there to stand by him with so much criticism surrounding him.” – Aww. Her agency and her independence of will must be so inconceivable and hurtful to you. Poor baby.

“Speaking of, there are no female sexual harassers in Hollywood? They only seem to care when it’s men.” – Have a prickly seat, my friend. This isn’t about “female sexual harassers.” It’s about Harvey Weinstein. A self-confessed predator, rapist, and first class creep who happens to be a man. Stay on the topic.

“Anyway, what do I know?” – Nothing, clearly. You know nothing.

• Lilo

October 11, 2017 at 9:40 pm

There you go trying to tell someone how to react to mistrust and betrayal. When your husband does this kind of nonsense, please handle as you please. But what you not finna do is tell another how to handle.

10. Temi

October 11, 2017 at 3:56 pm

And the ones in Nollywood. Please. Let’s highlight and campaign against abuse closer to home. That is where charity starts.

11. Anon

October 11, 2017 at 5:01 pm

Can’t believe people are excusing his behaviour and facing the wife. Being a Nigerian man must be heaven. Zero accountability and consequences. Like many these days you don’t even even have to be the breadwinner or contribute any financial or emotional support. Just be a man and you will get away with whatever

12. Manny

October 11, 2017 at 5:22 pm

USC should have collected that endowment jare. What’s better than his money going to the cause of women?

13. John

October 11, 2017 at 6:55 pm

This is why I only advised men not to help any woman apart from your relations…if they ask for ur help, just make up an excuse and dismiss them… or u can try to play a hero ( white knight) and it will later come back to haunt u in ways u cant even begin to imagine…..ungrateful things,, always trying to eat their cake and have it..