BN TV

A Quick Introduction to how Rape Culture enables Sexual Harassment

BellaNaija.com

Sexual harassment is a reality, however often denied it is, and is now at the forefront of public discussion thanks to accusations against entertainment big shots like Harvey Weinstein and R. Kelly, and even the U.S. president Donald Trump.

In this video by Newsbroke’s Francesca Fiorentini, she explains how rape culture – victim blaming, making jokes out of sexual harassment issues – helps perpetuate sexual harassment.

Watch:

1. Jummy

October 25, 2017 at 3:36 pm

I can’t believe that 21st century America women are complaining of not having rights…

• ec

October 25, 2017 at 5:11 pm

is that what you got from this video?
      Please watch again

• Brainstorm

October 25, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Na wa oh. And the video didn’t even mention fighting for rights but the impact of impunity, reckless jokes and victim shaming and blaming on sexual harassment. You clearly didn’t watch, but just want to talk.

2. AceOfSpades

October 25, 2017 at 5:51 pm

People like to castigate Trump. He contested against a woman and if he had 5 people accusing him of harassment, best believe Clinton’s camp would have found them, paid them to talk but I doubt there’s any. Donald Trump is just someone who talks about sex and female body in a bad way.

Many scorned women use sexual harrasment stories to get back at men and theres this justice proverb or is it saying that it’s better for 100 guilty people to go free than for 1 innocent person to be convicted. If it’s rape then let the person go to Jail but harrasment needs to be checked properly.

This lady that’s even talking gan gan is also trying to using style to shame people that nobody have accused. What’s wrong with her?

• Rainbow

October 25, 2017 at 7:31 pm

• AceOfSpades

October 25, 2017 at 9:59 pm

I’m not defending Trump but unwanted sexual advances??? Really? Touching should be more of sexual assault than harrasment and there’d be a punishment for that so if he has touched you, report his ass and get millions as compensation. People don’t rape and go free in USA. All you got to do is say it and police swoop on the person and you know it. Is it today that people have gone to jail for wrong sexual accusation or even consensual sex that turned wrong because the lady realized the guy used her for sex.

That article you posted said nothing really. Women know their power and all they have to do is speak and police take over (in the USA) and they milk this but Trump is a womanizer which isn’t a bad thing although it’s immoral and all I see are scorned women. USA is not like Russia where you can go missing for accusing the president.

So if I like you and offer you luxury life in exchange for sex, that’s harrasment? I asked once and all you have to do is say yes or no. I don’t press further after your no. So what if I say I grab them by the p***y when i thought camera wasn’t rolling, did I actually grab you by the p***y. Don’t you say worse things with your friends in your room? If it was a rape or assault case, let’s start a fight because I might have a daughter too someday but the way this women talk about harrasment sounds off and I’m not even victim blaming.

3. Ziz

October 25, 2017 at 6:04 pm

I really don’t know why Donald Trump’s name was there. no body has ever accused him of sexual harassment or even settling a sexual harassment case. Please don’t believe everything MSM feeds you. Donald Trump might be so many things but he is not a Sexual predator

• Rainbow

October 25, 2017 at 7:25 pm

Eerm 17 women accused Donald Trump of acts varying from sexual harassment to full blown rape including his ex wife Ivana Trump. Maybe if you watched more of so called ‘main stream media’, you would know the truth about him. You Trump supporters truly give me a headache. Go back and read up on the man and his antics before he even got into politics and understand who he is. Stop allowing yourself to be spoonfed rhetoric just because Donald said so. What do you expect him to say? I am a liar, I am rapist??? Of course he will deny.
      Na wa oh- Clearly Critical analysis and thinking skills are dead in today’s world ??‍♀️??‍♀️

4. Hmm

October 25, 2017 at 6:07 pm

Out of topic: Malia Obama worked for Harvey Weinstein’s company for her gap year, wonder what she would say in all of this……

• Tiramisu

October 25, 2017 at 6:24 pm

With secret service all around her, I bet Weinstein wouldn’t have come near her, so she probably doesn’t have anything to add to the issue.

5. Rainbow

October 25, 2017 at 7:32 pm

BN post my comments o!!

6. Susie

October 25, 2017 at 7:48 pm

Do you people not follow the news? Multiple women accused Donald of harassment last year! A journalist, Natasha Stoynoff, Melania’s friend, wrote an entire People Magazine article on how he attacked her inside his home with his wife being right there & how she only escaped due to sheer luck!

Her story was corroborated. His wife couldn’t even deny the entire incident & only claimed she was never her friend. A woman sued him claiming he raped her when she was only 13 but she withdrew the case after he became President citing fear for her life. Jessica Leeds, Kristin Anderson, Jill Harth… These are just a few names of the many women who said he fondled their private parts forcefully, something he admitted to on tape in that bus (“I don’t even wait.. Grab them by the p!ssy, you can do anything). By the way, which decent man describes his own daughter as a ‘piece of a$$’ because that’s what he did.

Multiple teenagers & adult contestants in his beauty pageant (miss universe) said he would often burst into their changing room unannounced while they were half naked, I really wish women & men would stop defending men accused by multiple women of assault just because they are famous men. How many women have to accuse the same man of assault before they’re believed? Is he the only person who has run for office? Why didn’t 100 women accuse Obama or Bush of assault? I have been raped by a so called respectable man & it is so hard to even report it. So when you do & people jump to his defense simply because he is famous, it is very painful. I hope it doesn’t happen to you or your daughters