News

Governor Rochas Okorocha covers Media Room Hub’s November Issue

BellaNaija.com

The Executive Governor of Imo State, Rochas Okorocha covers Media Room Hub Magazine’s November Issue.

In this, no holds barred interview with Media Room Hub, the governor speaks about life at 55,  the many travails and triumphs throughout his life from surviving a plane crash to his childhood dreams of becoming President one day.

Read excerpts from the interview below:

On life at 55: My 55 years in this world bring a lot of memories of the past. Looking back, I can only say, to God be the glory, because, in 55 years, I have seen the good, the bad and the ugly sides of life. The bad is: I came from a very poor home, I wish I had come from a rich family but I didn’t. I grew up in Jos; that’s where I had my primary, secondary and university education. Then I got into business. From business to politics and that’s where I am today.

So, I thank God. The good side of it is that I have seen the mercy of God; coming from nothing to something. That for me is good. The ugly side of it is getting close touch with death and still being alive. If you remember the Nigerian Airways plane crash in Kaduna that claimed over 64 lives; I was on the plane when it crashed, I survived it. The Bellview plane crash that killed many people, same week former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s wife died in 2005; I had gotten my boarding pass, I walked up to the gate before I turned back.

On his childhood dream: One day, I was taking my father from Barkin Ladi village to Jos, that was when I was in school, I just bought a Mazda bus and I remembered telling my father on the way that I was going to be the President of Nigeria. And he said to me, ‘I know and I believe in you’. So, I’ve always dreamt of where I am going and I honestly didn’t see poverty as a clog in the wheel. Though poverty was biting hard, it just wasn’t tougher than my will to be who I want to be. So, I’ve always had tall ambitions from childhood.

On his ambition to become President: I’ve not dropped my ambition to become the president, I’m only respecting the gentleman called President Muhammadu Buhari whom I think has what it takes to change leadership in this country. And I’m waiting for his declaration, if he’s running, then I should support him.

On his plans for 2019: I have so many windows open in 2019 as I wait for Mr President to make his declaration, I want to be politically relevant and I have made the decision never to watch my country sink. This I would do without losing my foundation which is a huge challenge on its own.

If Buhari declares to run for the office again in 2019 I will support him because the man has a character to develop Nigeria. He has a thick skin that we need. We have a faulty foundation and I see Buhari as that man who can build the foundation that we need. But I don’t see him as someone who will build this nation with a fantastic finishing with nice furniture. He’s just going to build a solid foundation upon which success and prosperity for the land shall be accomplished. And that’s where people like me would come in.

Read his full Interview here.

1. bruno

November 11, 2017 at 12:10 pm

u will NEVER be president.

• Mohammad

November 11, 2017 at 12:24 pm

I don’t trust Nigerians. Have you seen what he is getting away with at the moment?

• Anon

November 11, 2017 at 12:32 pm

If they offer him the the role of a Vice President he will accept it. Then, anything can happen from there. Half Fulani, half Igbo fraud.

• YLT

November 11, 2017 at 12:33 pm

Ameeeeeeeeeeen!

2. YLT

November 11, 2017 at 12:37 pm

God please deal with this man ruthlessly & I hope IMO State stays woke tooo! This man is a disgrace to that state & his family! I hear he slapped one of his sons who questioned one of his wicked acts! God must surely deal with this one! You won’t end well Mr Okorocha- the sheer pain & misery you’ve put families through ! Hmmmm! Went to Owerri & was in tears! People are suffering & you raising statutes ! Well done but don’t hold out cause your end will be devastating!

3. kkay

November 11, 2017 at 2:27 pm

@ YLT you spoke my mind.
    From the first day I saw this man with his ‘supposed’ charity , I told my sister that he is not what he pretends to be. I wasn’t WRONG.That was before he went into politics.
    With all the money, his skin and appearance is still rough.

4. ella

November 11, 2017 at 6:55 pm

YOU WILL NEVER BE PRESIDENT.

5. Happy

November 11, 2017 at 7:52 pm

terrible man………worst governor in Nigeria

6. MurderSheWrote

November 11, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Azuka’s entire self is a big fat joke. Rochas is redefining the norm? The same way you are redefining what it means to be old, yet stupid is exactly the way he is redefining the norm. Anuofia. Olosho.

7. tony

November 11, 2017 at 10:08 pm

THIS IS WHY WE ARE A USELESS COUNTRY WITH THE MOST USELESS POLICE FORCE IN THE WORLD!!! NOTHING WORKS…. FULL OF SYCHOPHANTS AND HYPOCRITES… ONE USELESS MAGAZINE HAS COME TO HAIL THIS YEYE MUMU GOVERNOR…. GOVERNOR THAT IS ILLEGALLY TAKING PEOPLE OF OWERRI LAND. THIEF!!! DEVIL WILL DEAL WITH YOU!!

8. tony

November 11, 2017 at 10:08 pm

ALWAYS CELEBRATING MEDIOCRITY!!

9. Lailatu

November 11, 2017 at 11:02 pm

What nerve he has.

10. Hmmm

November 13, 2017 at 7:37 am

AZUKA!!!! AZUKA!!!!! How much did he pay you for this? 10 times what Churchill is paying you, abi? There shall be no peace for the wicked o