Scoop

“We don’t see color in my home” – Kim Kardashian apologises for Aaliyah Halloween Costume

BellaNaija.com

Kim Kardashian West is apologising to whoever is offended by her Aaliyah Halloween costume.

Kardashian West had, as one of her costumes for the 2017 Halloween, dressed as the late RnB icon, a move that elicited criticism from people on social media, who described it as offensive.

“Legend or not Aaliyah is a black woman and you’re not. It’s offensive and you shouldn’t push this limit, but ok…,” a user had written.

Now, according to People, the reality star has apologized for wearing the costume.

“When I was deciding what I wanted to be for Halloween this year, I had a lot of ideas that I narrowed down to musical icons and my second costume was Aaliyah,” she wrote on her website.

The look was inspired by what she wore in her ‘Try Again’ music video. I wore a custom bra top and J Brand leather pants. Ariel Tejada did my makeup and Chris Appleton did my hair.

Aaliyah was such an amazing singer and she will forever be a music legend. I saw online that some people thought my costume was in poor taste and I am truly sorry if that offended anyone.

When she was creating the costume, she said, she wasn’t dressing as a race or a culture, but as a woman she’s always admired.

When I was creating the costume, I wasn’t dressing up as a race or culture but rather as a woman whom I will always admire. I play every kind of genre of music in my home and I like for my kids to be exposed to many different artists.

For me, it’s always about love and respect. I loved that Kourtney was Michael Jackson for one of her costumes, and that my son was Axl Rose.

We don’t see color in my home. We were paying homage to people and artists we love and respect— it’s that simple!

1. Corolla

November 4, 2017 at 12:38 am

Why is she apologizing? People should take a chill pill. I don’t see caucasians complaining about the gazillion black women that use weaves and contact lenses.

• tunmi

November 4, 2017 at 4:50 pm

women across all ethnicity use weaves and contact lenses.
      whites do not have a monopoly on a particular hair type and eye color if that’s what you’re implying.
      Ex. Phyno has green eyes

2. M

November 4, 2017 at 1:20 am

America is so messed up. Really, black people are becoming bully terrorists. N.a. wa

3. semesee

November 4, 2017 at 2:37 am

Forget about colour! I find it distasteful and insensitive to dress up as young people who tragically lost their lives in their prime! most of these late artist (Aaliyah and Selena) are survived by parents and grandparents! Hmmm???

• Gh boy..

November 4, 2017 at 12:40 pm

On the contrary do u know what it means if your personality is chosen for a Halloween costume?… Its a big deal trust me.so for me I see it as more of an honour of her memory than the foolishness y’all are trying to make it seem.

4. Seriously

November 4, 2017 at 3:00 am

Damn, black twitter can be so stupid. They just want to pick on Kim. She can dress up as whoever she wants. Indian women can scream cultural appropriation for black women plastering their hair on their head.
    Anyway, I hate the statement “we don’t see color”. You better and should see color. You not seeing skin color doesn’t make you less racist. A lot of ww just like the black D, ain’t nothing more. It’s all about respecting human beings with their uniqueness and accept that we are all equal. Black people are not inferior, less attractive due to more melanin. That’s all.

5. BlueEyed

November 4, 2017 at 3:54 am

Kim doesn’t need to apologize! She did a great job with those costumes and she looked amazing
    Someone up there said dressing up as an artist that lost their life is distasteful ?? Are you serious? So all our Michael Jackson costumes and even themed parties should mean we are disrespectful ?? People dress up as celebrities either dead or alive not out of disrespect but out of homage, From Biggie to tupac to MJ, I don’t think their families have any issue wherewithal, if anything they are even proud

6. Mamamia

November 4, 2017 at 4:55 am

Blacks need to go choke themselves on some “happy” koolaid Una wahala too much. The worst racist are blacks! Even amongst each other, u hear, can’t do buisness with him he is black I rather with the caucasians. U hear them call each other ni**er and not wanna be called the same term by other races. I mean, how are u gonna call yourself stupid and say to yourself only people within my race should call me stupid. Well, it does not change the fact that you still stupid meaning you are still a freaking ni**er until u learn and understand that we are what we address ourselves by. Kim fall my hand u shouldn’t have apologized.Ta!

• momo

November 4, 2017 at 11:46 am

mamamia please chop kiss ..im so irritated by all this black this black that..please my white friends have held me down more genuinely …that is aside from my blood family ..lets learn not to be so uptight every single time..there must be some envy involved …and yes some blacks are very very racist

7. Californiabawlar

November 4, 2017 at 5:01 am

She doesn’t see color? And this woman has black children in America?! They are in for one hell of a ride. So this is how she’s going to be whitesplaining racism to her own children? Hmmkay… I don’t see that working out for anyone involved. It’s not until her kids end up in jail (best case scenario) for doing the exact things their oyinbo cousin did before she’ll know she has to see that they are black and advise them accordingly.
    Being a mother to black men in America is no childs play but e be like say this woman think say she can keep playing the dumb blonde. I hope her husband is ready to do ALL the work in this regard.

• BlueEyed

November 4, 2017 at 7:24 am

Madam try and relax, it’s not that deep….yes she doesn’t see color because she herself was raised in a not seeing color home (her father being friends with OJ), she will in turn raise her child in a non-racist format, it doesn’t mean that she isnt aware of racial prejudices, she’s just not allowing that type of negativity and hate fill her child, children are not born racist, they form the habit as a result of how their home setting perpetuates the concept. Thankfully, the children have a black father who is culturally “woke”, all the education they need they can get from him at an appropriate age.

• BlueEyed

November 4, 2017 at 7:33 am

Sorry about my multiple comments
      Might I add that more and more black families are raising their children to become racists and harbour hate towards white people and the government all in the name of being “culturally aware”. How then can you cry racism, when you yourself are the inclusive of the problem

• kemi

November 4, 2017 at 8:25 am

Hmmmm…..just thinking..i am also black and i think she meant we dont see colour as in, we dont differentiate between black and white. We see people as the same and dont see any difference in colour so we did see Aaliyah has black, we saw her as a human being.

• kemi

November 4, 2017 at 8:27 am

Hmmmm…..just thinking..i am also black and i think she meant we dont see colour as in, we dont differentiate between black and white. We see people as the same and dont see any difference in colour so we did not see Aaliyah has black, we saw her as a human being.

• Californiabawlar

November 4, 2017 at 9:21 am

Okay. So you know it’s this lack of “cultural awareness” what gets a lot of African kids into trouble whenever they get to the US. They go faffing around with oyinbo kids and when ish hits the ceiling, they see the night and day difference in how they are treated.
      It’s obvious from this thread that a lot of us think AAs are crazy obnoxious people that just made/make up racism in their head. The American media has really done a great job portraying these people in a terrible way not only within their country but apparently to even Africans as well.
      I once listened in on a conversation between two AAs. One asked the other: “when did you realize you were black?” Then they went on to share anecdotes on different things that had happened as early as kindergarten and they just couldn’t understand why a teacher or cashier treated them differently. Then there was usually one glaring situation when their parents finally had to have an uncomfortable conversation with them simply letting them know that the world around them will judge them differently.

I’ll finish with this Malcom X’s (?) quotable quote floating around the internet: “if you’re not careful, the media will have you hating the oppressed and loving the oppressors…”

• californiabawlar

November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm

In the spirit of leaving multiple comments.

So at some point in your many replies, you managed to agree with me that Kanye would be doing all the work because Kim was raised is some weird alternate universe where people are color blind. You’re welcome.

Oh @ Kemi… I don’t have a problem with her dressing as Aliyah o! My argument is against the whole “not seeing color” concept. It’s a phrase a lot of oyinbo people use to deny racism, instead of educating themselves on how race is infused into everything in their society.

8. Dee

November 4, 2017 at 6:43 am

Some blacks are becoming too sensitive. Every little thing na racism for their eye.

Kim says she doesn’t see colour, which basically means that she’s not a racist.

• Ann

November 4, 2017 at 7:32 am

I tire for folks misunderstanding what she meant by ” i don’t see color” is her husband not a black man? Are her sisters not dating black men? That family love blacks meaning they are not racist… world people should goan take several seats at the back!!!!

9. Dee one

November 4, 2017 at 6:47 am

I don’t see anything wrong neither is there any big deal in what she wore pls black people need to take a chill pill, hell she’s married to a black man isn’t that enough to tell she’s got nothing against black people plus nothing in her costume or makeup says racist. Chill for a minute abeg.

10. stan

November 4, 2017 at 6:54 am

black twitter can be so stupid. They just want to pick on Kim. She can dress up like what I don’t know

11. Fifi

November 4, 2017 at 7:20 am

I see nothing wrong with her costume, personally it was fab, Black Americans just live ranting and sweating small stuff, the should face Donald Trump if they want to vent

12. Lilo

November 4, 2017 at 10:57 am

Akatas stay mad at everything it’s starting to look petty at best and piss poor embarrassing at worst

13. Mrs chidukane

November 4, 2017 at 2:10 pm

One time on fashion bomb daily’s Instagram page, people were dragging Claire for posting the Kardashian 10th anniversary magazine cover. That they will unfollow etc. I think most black women are jealous of Kim. I don’t know why else you would be so hurt by the actions of someone you don’t know, whose actions don’t affect you in any way.

14. Akpeno

November 6, 2017 at 10:36 pm

LOL I am just reading some comments are laughing at the Ignorance of Nigerians when it comes to race relations in America.

Blacks are this sensitive because the society they live in persecute them for the same things whites are lauded/praised for. Here are a few examples:

Black girl has corn rows she is called ghetto and ratchet
    White girl has corn rows she is called edgy and cool and fashion icon

Black girls have big back sides they are called vulgar and fat
    White girl has a big butt she is curvy and womanly.

White guy is a drug addict is arrested but is sent to rehab as this is a health issue
    Black guy has is an addict he is arrested and put in jail because he is a menace to society…

Not too long ago in an elementary school two boys(one black, one white) were fighting(As little boys normally do) the police man who is stationed in that school came to separate them, but concentrated on the black boy, grabbed the black boy and body slammed him on the concrete floor meanwhile, what happened to the white boy?… NOTHING! The boy walked away while the policeman dragged the black boy away… probably to write a report and have him suspended.

Do you now get why Blacks are quick to “call people out”? The society is not fair to them and they are constantly treated like criminals and nuisances that is why…