Firefighters with the West Midlands Fire Service were unimpressed after spending almost an hour to free a YouTube prankster.
The crew from Fallings Park Community Fire Station had been called by the ambulance service who needed help with an incident in Wolverhampton.
They arrived to find a man with a microwave oven cemented to his head.
Officer in charge of the West Midlands Fire Service crew, Watch Commander Shaun Dakin, gave the entire story. He said:
He and a group of friends had mixed seven bags of Polyfilla which they then poured around his head, which was protected by a plastic bag inside the microwave.
The oven was being used as a mould, and wasn’t plugged in. The mixture quickly set hard and, by the time we were called, they’d already been trying to free him for an hour and a half.
As funny as this sounds, this young man could quite easily have suffocated or have been seriously injured.
Friends of the prankster had been able to feed an air tube into his mouth to help him breathe. Dakin continued:
Taking the microwave apart was tricky, because a lot of it was welded. We video-called our technical rescue colleagues for advice and eventually managed to get him unstuck.
He was very relieved when we removed a large chunk of the Polyfilla with a screwdriver, allowing him to breathe more easily. But we had to be extremely careful with the screwdriver, working so closely to his head.
It took us nearly an hour to free him. All of the group involved were very apologetic, but this was clearly a call-out which might have prevented us from helping someone else in genuine, accidental need.
The West Midlands Fire Service also release a video asking that people not attempt pranks that could end their lives.
The incident could easily have been avoidable, they said, and that time could have been used to save other lives.
See the video and photos of the prankster below:
West Midlands Fire Service has issued the following video statement regarding this incident. pic.twitter.com/hv0Cg1fbD1
— West Midlands Fire (@WestMidsFire) December 8, 2017
Photo Credit: West Midlands Fire Service