Scoop

In 2013, George Clooney gave 14 of his Friends $1m each to say Thanks ?

BellaNaija.com

George Clooney gave his Friends $1m each to say Thanks - BellaNaija

George Clooney

Yup! You read that right. To say thank you to his friends, according to BBC, actor George Clooney gifted them $1 million. Each.

A close friend of Clooney’s, Rande Gerber, revealed this to MSNBC’s Headliners.

Telling the entire story, Gerber said Clooney had in 2013 told his friends to mark a date on their calendars. He said:

There’s a group of guys that we call ‘The Boys.’ George had called me and The Boys and said ‘Hey, mark 27 September, 2013, on your calendar. Everyone’s going to come to my house for dinner.’

They arrived at the dinner to find suitcases on the assigned places at the table, Gerber said.

George begins to say ‘Listen, I want you guys to know how much you’ve meant to me and how much you mean to me in my life. I came to L.A., I slept on your couch. I’m so fortunate in my life to have all of you and I couldn’t be where I am today without all of you’

When Clooney’s friends opened their suitcases, they found $1 million in $20 notes. All of them. One each. Just like that.

Gerber said Clooney wouldn’t take no for an answer, and insisted they all take the money. He said:

He goes ‘I know we’ve all been through some hard times, some of you are still going through it. You don’t have to worry about your kids, you don’t have to worry about, you know, school, you don’t have to worry about paying your mortgage.’

Gerber added that, besides giving them $1 million, he also paid their taxes for one year. All 14 of them. He said:

One was working at a bar in Texas at the airport, trying just to support his family, rides a bicycle to work every day. I mean these are guys that took care of George and now he’s giving it all back.

1. Oma

December 13, 2017 at 10:35 pm

Awww…That is so thoughtful of him and sooo touching! I hope to do this someday

• Eno

December 13, 2017 at 11:32 pm

I am touched that the first comment I see here is how to give back like George Clooney did rather than a comment asking to be a recipient. May your dreams come through, Oma. ♥

• Puzzles

December 14, 2017 at 8:31 am

I will not lie. I planned to comment “God, why don’t i have friends like George?”. But i saw your comment and realized how inherently selfish and shortsighted my intended comment was. God bless you. May i also be able to do for my friends and family what George did for others

2. No Headaches Please

December 13, 2017 at 10:47 pm

This.

Yes this.

To remind us that in the midst of evil there is still an enormous amount of good.

3. Tarhe

December 14, 2017 at 12:23 am

A friend indeed. The test of true friendship is in the sacrifices you make and not the other way round. True friendship should be completely selfless.

4. Seriously

December 14, 2017 at 2:00 am

Great to hear this. That’s what I plan to do this Christmas with what I have.

5. Puzzles

December 14, 2017 at 8:29 am

George is a wonderful person. He remembered those who knew him when he was nothing. May that be a lesson for all of us.

6. Miss Fine

December 14, 2017 at 8:54 am

God bless you Mr Clooney. Hope to follow in your footsteps one day. Remain blessed Sir

7. Fear God...

December 14, 2017 at 11:41 am

$14 million in cash???? Quickteller and PAGA need to go sell online transfer to Uncle George 🙂
    I kid! I kid!! Well done George! If na some people now, he would have taken pictures with all of them and put it up on Instagram himself

8. Deleke

December 14, 2017 at 5:52 pm

When my $110m check cashes, I will give every commenter after me $1m each, and the ones before me $500k, depending on how many AMENs I get

9. John Matilda