News

Victoria’s Secret Models face Backlash for singing the “N” Word

BellaNaija.com

Victoria's Secret models Recorded singing the "N" Word - BellaNaija

Just before walking the runway, some Victoria’s Secret angels were recorded vibing to Cardi B‘s “Bodak Yellow.

As they sang along to the song (there are only a few songs that can make you feel so powerful), the mostly-white models did not censor themselves when it got to the part with the “N” word.

The lyric in question here is: “And I’m quick, cut a n**** off, so don’t get comfortable”

The video was uploaded on Twitter, and has been getting reactions.

See some of the reactions and the video below:

1. Ezinne

December 1, 2017 at 5:47 pm

Black people always so entitled and sensitive. Let’s hear word please.

December 1, 2017 at 11:53 pm

You’re obviously of African descent and don’t get it…watch this. It will hopefully help u understand things

• Hmm

December 2, 2017 at 8:24 pm

When people don’t understand a situation or take time to understand an issue they make unreasonable statements like yours.

2. swerve

December 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Black people! Smh…

3. Mrs chidukane

December 1, 2017 at 6:52 pm

Smh for AA people. Selective anger as usual. If you don’t want people to sing it/ say it, then how about you stop singing/ rapping with the term?

• Puzzles

December 1, 2017 at 8:39 pm

As in!!! Tell them. I don’t understand. Why use the term in your rap, song and everyday conversation?

4. Seriously

December 1, 2017 at 7:03 pm

They use it in songs and expect folks not to sing along. Cut the BS.

5. Becca

December 1, 2017 at 7:59 pm

insecure pathetic african americans moaning over nothing, yet again.

6. omomo

December 1, 2017 at 8:57 pm

these sensitive blacks irritate the hell outta me ..you sing about being a n***a then you say if you are white when it comes to the part that says “n***a” zip your mouth till the next verse but if you are black you can sing along…. like really???…gerrahia mehn …irritants..

7. Chichi

December 1, 2017 at 9:10 pm

Nigerians are so damn ignorant when it comes to the struggles African-Americans have faced and continue to face. The Civil Rights movement (by African Americans) is what has allowed us “holier-than-thou” Africans to be able to now partake in the successes of the US both by living in, visiting or enjoying products and/or gifts from the US. It is amazingly ridiculous how all the comments here are against African Americans. SMH!!!

• CurvesAndEdges

December 1, 2017 at 10:05 pm

Excuse me, drop the generalization and focus on the specific issue here. If African-Americans find the word ‘Nigger’ offensive (as they should), they need to stop using it on themselves! Period! It doesn’t get any simpler than that. You put the N word in a song and you tell someone singing along to make sure they bleep it out when singing??? Super ridiculous. Too dumb.

• CurvesAndEdges

December 1, 2017 at 10:08 pm

And the comments are against AA because they’re the ones blowing up a storm here

December 1, 2017 at 11:54 pm

So true Chichi. It’s such a shame. We should be ashamed of our ignorance and lack of loyalty to our AA brethren. Africans can be very self righteous and judgemental.

• Seriously

December 2, 2017 at 6:17 am

I am very aware and empathetic to the struggles of Black Americans. However, the “N” Word was something used to demean AA in a negative way. Left to me, the word shouldn’t be used even as a form of endearment by AA to one another. Then they use it in songs where the highest consumers are non black. What do you expect when they sing along?
      I’m completely against whites using the “N” in general but let’s be logical here, you have to be the change you want to see first

• Frank

December 2, 2017 at 3:42 pm

No you are the one who seems ignorant. Cardi B used Nigga in her song. If African-Americans don’t want to be called Niggas then why use it in most of their songs. Most African- Americans are so ignorant and sensitive. I call myself a black man not “African-American” which we as Africans should take offense to cause most African-Americans don’t know sht about Africa, they’ve never been to Africa and will never leave America for Africa. And not all black people are from Africa. I just hope you haven’t bought into this African-American BS

8. John

December 1, 2017 at 10:09 pm

Till today, I dont whether feminists or black americans…which group is more anonying and hypocritical.

9. John

December 1, 2017 at 10:11 pm

Don’t know*

10. John

December 1, 2017 at 10:28 pm

@curved edges dont mind the everlasting, always hypocritical victims.
    Nigger is an offensive word to AA as
    Kike is an offensive word to jews..but guess what, you never ever hear a jew call a fellow jew a kike..infact they are so smart they allowed it die a natural death ..I don’t think most people even remembers it is a derogatory word any longer..I still maintain that the worst ser of people you can reason with are feminists and all this pro blacks…They always contradict themselves that it gives you a headache

11. Chrissy

December 1, 2017 at 10:43 pm

It is only Nigerian that will insult each other, but once someone from another country insults a Nigerian, the armors comes out and people are ready to battle. I can call myself stupid, but that doesn’t mean you have the right to call me stupid. African Americans take offense to the word when White people say it before it was innovated by them to insult and put down black people and for the fact that racism is still very much active in the United States. Don’t y’all judge what you have never experienced, and yes I’m a Nigerian; born and raised. I take offense to hearing white people say Nigga just like I take offense to when African Americans call Africans ‘African booty scratcher’. It is a song and I have heard numerous white folks sing the song and bleep the N word. Should African Americans stop saying the N word, maybe, but it is their choice to call themselves that which doesn’t give anyone right whatsoever to call them that. So omomo, when those sensitive African Americans irritate you so much, just move on or better still go to sleep it’s past your bed time.
    ……and f*** y’all OVER RIGHTEOUS AFRICAN BOOTY SCRATCHERS.

• Frank

December 2, 2017 at 3:44 pm

Nigga Shut the f*** up.

12. Comment

December 1, 2017 at 11:35 pm

I hope those of you commenting can spare a moment to watch this link that explains why it’s NOT ok for whites to use the N word even though AAs use it.

It’s important to understand the culture and reasoning behind these things before jumping into uninformed judgements and conclusions. We Africans are always so quick to judge without deeper understanding of a situation

• Becca

December 2, 2017 at 12:05 pm

I went out of my way at uni to take modules in American history, particularly the CRM to understand their attitude. I still stand by what I said of them earlier.
      Perpetually offended by trivialities. Black twitter mafia is predominately made up of millennials who grew up on a multi racial world but instead of embracing it shout cultural appropriation over irrelevancies.

• jade edo babe

December 2, 2017 at 1:41 pm

Abeg, we all know it’s not okay for whites to use it. As a naija, I don’t use it and cringe when I hear naijas use it esp the ones in naija. So weird. I think what many of these commentators are saying is, AA use it anyhow especially in songs. I remember when Jay z and kanye west had “N” in Paris. That was a trending, popular song imagine if you try to say the title, you have to take extra caution. These models are singing along to a song, it’s not a case where they just blurted out the “N” word like these intentional racists and supremacists.

Speaking of loyalty, I’m not loyal to rubbish. If you are wrong, you are wrong. This is not to defend these white idiots who feel entitled(that’s another story).
      Also, This is not to trivialize the hell my brothers and sisters went through. Let’s just stop the confusion and not use it at all.

13. tunmi

December 2, 2017 at 5:53 am

Well that’s how it is. They and only they can say it. Why so pressed to say it?

• Californiabawlar

December 2, 2017 at 7:03 am

Exactly! I’m not even comfortable saying it sef! The entitlement of the oyinbo man is why AAs are being indignant. Just one word you can’t say as punishment for all the terrible things YOU DID in the same name and you burst into yt tears. Who’s the sensitive one? Awon oniranu! I hope AAs continue to tease and taunt them by laying a claim to something (albiet negative… but is it your negative?) oyinbo people can’t have.

As for my naysaying country people on this thread… smh for una! Your lack of loyalty to these guys will do no one any good. Meanwhile you all continue to flenjor in THEIR country, enjoy the civil rights THEY fought for. You think they got here by allowing and excusing yt excesses? May it not be too late before we understand.

• tunmi

December 3, 2017 at 7:56 pm

boom! you got it. It’s the entitlement to the word.

I don’t like the word, I don’t like that AA use it but it’s their word to determine how they use it. Not me. And definitely not the group that has oppressed them for generations (and still continues to oppress them to this day in fact).

14. zzzzzzzzzzz

December 2, 2017 at 11:15 am

People are talking about loyalty, where? you think these African Americans give a 2 pence about us. If the word is derogatory then do not use it at all. If you put it in a song and others sing along to it and you get offended then why put it there in the first place. Or are they trying to tell us that only blacks should listen to rap? Look their headache. Struggle this today struggle this tomorrow. We in Africa had our own struggle with colonialism and we still do except if you want to downplay it. But I don’t see us making everything an issue as if others should walk on egg shells anytime they are around us. If the word is so hurtful then pull it out of any commercial song and let people hear word

15. Hmm

December 2, 2017 at 8:37 pm

To understand the issue u have to understand the culture. In America African Americans are not the only one who use a term that was meant to be derogatory towards them and flip it. American Asians, gays, women etc do the same. Within themselves they use the words chink, faggot, bitch… Biggest difference with AA community is that they are main stream everyone emulates them and wants to partake in their culture. So u have people who are not black/AA trying to be cool. Then we have outsiders like here that judge and say if u don’t like it that other people say it then don’t say it. that’s bs u cannot dictate someone’s culture and try to give them rules to follow. Period. Africans we need to stop being judgmental and keep OUR comments about someone else’s culture to ourselves. As we at the same time continuously emulate the people we are judging. MAJOR MAJOR SIDE EYE

• tunmi

December 3, 2017 at 7:59 pm

true. Women have reclaimed “b***h” and gay people have reclaimed “f****t”.

There was a video of some woman explaining how the word “b***h” can have several meanings in a conversation with her girlfriends. That doesn’t make it okay for men to be using the word towards women (because of the history of that word). The same with the f word within the LGBT.

You just don’t get to do certain things. Let it go.