Scoop

Jordan Peele Makes History with Three Oscar Nominations!

BellaNaija.com

Jordan Peele has a lot to celebrate today! The actor, comedian, writer, producer, and director bagged three Oscar nominations for Best Director, Best Original Screenplay and Best Picture for his critically acclaimed movie “Get Out”.

This makes the 38-year-old the first African American, and the third person to get three Academy Award nominations for writing, directing and producing. He is also the fifth black filmmaker to ever receive the best director nomination with other previously nominated filmmakers including John Singleton for 1991’s “Boyz n the Hood, Lee Daniels for 2009’s “Precious,” Steve McQueen for 2013’s “12 Years a Slave” and Barry Jenkins for last year’s best-picture winner, “Moonlight.”

Jordan went on Twitter shortly after the nominations were announced to share a gif of the film’s lead actor Daniel Kaluuya crying from the “Get Out” movie in response to the film scoring a total of four nominations for Picture, director, screenplay and Best Actor which Daniel was nominated for.

Shortly after, he tweeted:

I just spoke to Daniel. You know when you’re on the phone trying to disguise the sound of an ugly cry? I failed at that.

Right now I’m just thinking about everyone who bought a ticket and told someone else to. You did this. Thank you.

Photo Credit: Getty Images / Frazier Harrison

1. bruno

January 23, 2018 at 9:00 pm

get out is the most original movie I have seen in the last 10 years. such a fresh take on the horror genre. we would still be talking about get out in the next 10 years. that said, he may not win anything.

best picture- its between shape of water and 3 billboards outside ebbing missouri

best director- Guillermo del toro is going to win it for shape of water.

best original screenplay- 3 billboard outside ebbing missouri is going to win it. the academy voters love 3 billboards outside ebbing missouri.

mary j Blige, octavia spencer and dee rees (director of mudbound) all made history today also with their nominations

• olorire

January 24, 2018 at 12:52 am

I am sorry but I was looking forward to watching GET OUT but I was s o disapointted!…..I have not been so disappointed in a long long while. the film was too basic and too predictable…nothing special honestly

• Dolly

January 24, 2018 at 1:05 am

Everything you said ?

• RED

January 25, 2018 at 12:39 am

3Billboards for Best Actress, Supporting Actor and Picture. LOOOOOOOOOOVED that movie with it’s dark humor.

2. Kaylah

January 24, 2018 at 5:36 am

@oloriri I am confused either u re one of those faceless commenters on bn who just want to feel relevant and comment because I can bet from my bed that u never saw the movie. Abeg fear God when u dey lie nau. Fear God small. Liar liar you have not seen the movie.

• akama

January 24, 2018 at 8:41 am

@Kaylah so because somebody has a negative opinion or feels indifferent about the movie, it means the person hasn’t watched it? I just can’t with people like you.

• olorire

January 24, 2018 at 8:47 am

I watched the movie!!! madam …that is my honest opinion there was nothing special…I waited and waited till the end of the movie…honestly I was not impressed….must I love the movie! switching brains and bla bla!!!! I saw so many plot holes

3. Re Shape of Water

January 24, 2018 at 5:50 am

The film didn’t sit well with me at all, it had bestiality undertones to me. When Octavia Spencer asks how they do the do, Sally Hawkins hand gesture made me want to vomit- What next will Hollywood show us? A woman that falls in love with a dog man? Disgusted critic.

4. Tosin

January 24, 2018 at 5:58 am

it’s such a very intelligent work…i’m glad white people saw it lol.

5. NaSo

January 24, 2018 at 8:55 am

Good one!
    We hope no sexual harrassment will ‘appear’ now
    Bless u