Music

“It’s my soul mate, it’s the person I love” – JAY-Z opens up about Fighting for his Marriage after Infidelity

BellaNaija.com

Music star JAY-Z has opened up about how he had to fight for his marriage after his infidelity.

The 48-year old dad of 3 opened up about his unfaithfulness to wife Beyonce while making an appearance on The Van Jones Show.

He said:

“You can love someone but if you haven’t experienced love, and you don’t understand it and you don’t have the tools to move forward, then you’re going to have complications and you can either address it or you can pretend until until it blows up at some point. For us, we chose to fight for our love. For our family. To give our kids a different outcome. To break that cycle for black men and women…We were never a celebrity couple, we were a couple that happened to be celebrities. We are real people. It’s my soul mate, it’s the person I love.”

Watch the video below.

1. Cocoa

January 28, 2018 at 11:42 pm

This sounds NICE and LOVELY….but JayZ you don’t KNOW what LOVE is. You are ATTEMPTING at love.

GOD IS LOVE. You can NEVER love another human being if you don’t ACCEPT GOD’S LOVE.

I’m sure you LIKE your wife…but please LOVE IS SACRED… TOO SACRED TO BE MOCKED.

• Amarachi

January 28, 2018 at 11:52 pm

He is created in the image of God, has the attributes of God. Therefore, have the acknowledged of love. He knows what it means to be love.

• Rahama

January 29, 2018 at 1:16 am

What’s this one saying? Abeg shift. Is Agape love the only love there is?

• Peju

January 29, 2018 at 2:37 am

Yes agape love is the only love there is. Pls list the ‘other” love there is. I didn”t know there are lists of love lmao

• Becca

January 29, 2018 at 4:52 pm

God is love ke?
      God that preaches love and forgiveness then when apeshit with humanity & generations to come for eating an apple he gave them ‘freewill’ to eat.
      Then killed all humans save for a few, for again exercising free will. Killed many many innocent first born babies, saw nothing wrong with slavery, created a torture chamber of fire and brimstone for those who use their freewill in a manner he disproves of??? I could go on & on about your Trump/Hitlerlike God who favours those he likes.

Don’t know about you but when I’m cross i find it quite easy not to drown or burn anyone near me. Or kill their firstborn… or have my child nailed to a cross before I can forgive you. I just forgive.
      And I’m just a regular LOVING human.
      Just saying.

• Kiki

January 29, 2018 at 5:52 pm

can we stop spiritualizing everything

• Cocoa

January 29, 2018 at 6:17 pm

KIKI,

The two can NEVER be seperated. Earth and Heaven are not mutually exclusive. Isn’t your MIND and your SOUL in the SAME BODY.

In a wedding when they say ” and the TWO shall become ONE” where does that JOINING take place? Isn’t a HUSBAND and WIFE ONE Spiritually?

EVERYTHING on EARTH has SPIRITUALITY behind it..because God is Spirit and He created EVERYTHING.

May we all come to the knowledge and truth of God, and possess the wisdom to discern. Amen.

• Cocoa

January 30, 2018 at 2:34 pm

BECCA,

You type all this about the One who CREATED YOU yet you still have air flowing through your lungs, you eat, you sleep, you get to laugh, walk, dance….I’d say that’s LOVE.

The problem is you think mankind DESERVES God’s Goodness. WE DONT!

GOD IS JUST. Whatever has happened to anyone is not unjust.

As i read your comment i couldn’t stop myself from smiling…..because i know even with all you said..God still yearns for you to KNOW HIM. He leaves the flock to go in search of ONE lost sheep.
      And the day you are FOUND ..the whole of HEAVEN will rejoice over YOU.

NOW THAT’S LOVE!!!

2. tony

January 28, 2018 at 11:46 pm

“On the other side its beautiful” i love that… our generation completely lack patience… its not easy guys. marriage is tough but “On the other side its beautiful”

• Engoz

January 29, 2018 at 12:32 pm

Honestly I do not think marriage is tough. Each party should purposely do the right thing and it will not be tough. Don’t marry your enemy and it will be easy. Before marriage, talk, talk, talk! Bring up topics and argue between yourselves. Of course you’ll have arguments in marriage just like you have with your siblings or parents, don’t you still love them after your arguments? There are petty situations you can just overlook. However, Adultery, domestic violence, lack of communication, sex and attention, non flexibility are potential deal breakers in marriage. I don’t care if people stay together, it will never be the same again. People should endeavor to Stay away from these negatives. Don’t do them and then claim ‘marriage is tough’. It’s not, it’s just the heavily flawed people involved.

• Cocoa

January 29, 2018 at 2:36 pm

AMARACHI,

If Jay Z truely knew that he was created in the Image and likeness of God …JAYZ wouldnt have the NERVE to cheat.

That we are created in the image of God doesnt mean we all KNOW GOD …it doesnt mean we all know our value and certainly doesnt mean we all know LOVE.

Ever wonder why we are not born HOLY even though we are created in the image of God. God is HOLY.

A man who was born a Prince but left to live in the SLUM will not act like the Prince he would have been if he stayed in the PALACE.

Any man or woman who cheats on their spouse doesnt know their WORTH, because they dont know GOD and as a result do not know LOVE.

They cant even LOVE their own self. They commit sin against their OWN BODY.

Amarachi please do not mislead others.

3. Ephi

January 29, 2018 at 12:27 am

My question though is WHO did he cheat on her with? I’m really curious.

• Tootsie

January 29, 2018 at 2:31 am

Becky with the good hair ?

• shabba

January 29, 2018 at 3:18 pm

Becky with the good hair hence why Bey is showing off her good hair doing away with weaves gradually. Becky definitely messed with Bey’s confidence sha

4. Beckey with the good hair

January 29, 2018 at 12:59 am

Jayz has some political agenda, what is the motive of this conversation?

I will remind you

5. Gyasi

January 29, 2018 at 1:56 am

We are not a celebrity couple, we are couples that happened to be celebrities. I pray this marriage never breaks. Every of Jay-Z’s recent interviews show how much he is transition from the once street hustler to a father and a husband. I am genuinely beginning to love this man as a man not as a celebrity.

6. Tina

January 29, 2018 at 4:28 am

Everybody that was saying IT never happened, hope you have heard from the horse’s mouth. Never use what you see on the outside as a yardstick for your relationship because you never really know what goes on behind close doors. If J-Z did not admit that he cheated, some will still continue to believe that they were perfect. The thing is that there are always 2 unique people with flaws in a relationship, you have to decide if you can tolerate and continue to tolerate certain flaws or walk away.

7. Amaka

January 29, 2018 at 6:29 am

Jay-Z needs a haircut. Why is he growing his hair? It looks so scruffy….

• Loki

January 29, 2018 at 7:47 am

Maybe he’s trying new things. Every guy I know has gone through the whole “I want to see how much I can grow my hair” phase. It never ends well…

8. Vicky

January 29, 2018 at 7:40 am

Why should it take a man cheating to realise that he loves and doesn’t want to lose her?
    I am curious.

Why must woman bare such pain from the man that so called loves her

• Oma

January 29, 2018 at 11:27 am

Vicky dear, same question I asked when I saw the headline. You must not cheat or hurt your partner to know how much they love you. It’s painful, very painful.

For me, if I ever recover, it will never be the same

• Cocoa

January 29, 2018 at 2:22 pm

It is because they have not a clue what LOVE is. How do i know? Because God had to TEACH me what LOVE is…and trust me it is not this crap being paraded around. It is a PAINFUL daily process of DYING TO SELF.

It is INTENTIONAL and SELFLESS.

He LIKES his wife sadly.

9. Mahka

January 29, 2018 at 8:03 am

The honour n praise he’s getting for ‘speaking up’ let s turn the tables around, will bey be praised this much for cheating on her husband. This Man messed up a good thing, it can never be the same.

• Cocoa

January 29, 2018 at 2:25 pm

Sadly , i think most people actually EXPECT a man to cheat and LIE about it. So if he cheats and is HONEST an it…well I suppose thsts a come up for some.

I believe in RESTORATION. But i dont believe anyone can be restored Independenlty of GOD.

10. Peyton

January 29, 2018 at 12:48 pm

Lol I am just here laughing. If this wasn’t Jayz we would be here writing long epistles on how women choose to stay with men who cheat.

Maybe someday we would all learn and agree that there isn’t any standard for dealing with cheating. I won’t stay with a cheating spouse but I won’t knock people who do. It’s funny when the women we love to praise and tout as independent and beacons are women who have stayed with cheating men. Hillary Clinton and now Beyoncé. Let people decide how they deal with their spouse . My own approach may be different.

• Cocolette

January 29, 2018 at 2:43 pm

My thoughts exactly. If it was some other woman, all we’ll hear is how she has no self esteem. God forbid it was a Nigerian woman, they will say we like to die on top marriage. Shebi they almost killed Tiwa for choosing to work on her marriage.

11. Tasmea

January 29, 2018 at 2:40 pm

@Engoz I disagree with you. Here is why? I think when people say marriage is tough, I don’t think they mean slave labour. what I think they mean is that marriage is not a walk in the park. Marriage is tough equates to saying adulthood is not easy or life is hard. The negatives you mentioned require effort and that’s why you used the word “endeavour.” The non flexibility you listed as a negative, I have interpreted it to mean compromise which itself is tough as individuals are hard wired to be selfish especially in situations where there are no blood ties. Sex and attention is also an aspect that requires effort. Sometimes you get to a point in your life where sex is not just that important anymore at least for some people and then you have to make efforts to satisfy your partner, effort can make something seem tough. Again some people are not very good communicators and they require effort to do so. So yes, I would say marriage is tough like working with a team of people can be tough. But like any good thing in life, you have to work to achieve the end goal of you and your partner. I however don’t mean it is tough like most Nigerian marriages d I’m familiar with where the man gets an easy ride and the women slave away, mba! I mean it’s tough because it requires effort you would ordinarily not have considered putting if you weren’t together. Adilrery and domestic violence is a big NO! They are not part of what I think requires compromise. I agree that parents should avoid all the negatives you listed but they have to put in effort to do so.

• Engoz

January 29, 2018 at 9:19 pm

Thanks for your input. I don’t believe marriage itself is tough because tough in this context means there is considerable difficulty or hardship in living together with someone no one forced you to marry. These are the synonyms of tough -arduous, onerous, strenuous, grueling, exacting, difficult, demanding, hard, taxing, tiring, exhausting, punishing, laborious, stressful, back-breaking. If these are the adjectives that qualify a marriage, you probably married your enemy, or you are the enemy in the marriage, lol. There are rules to any system. There are generic rules to marriage and each couple has specific rules that apply to them depending on each other’s personalities. Failure to abide by the rules opens one to consequences or penalties. It doesn’t then make marriage tough, it’s the failure of the people involved doing the right thing. I don’t find working with your wife or husband analogous to working with a team of people/strangers. Working with a husband or wife should be like working with a sibling or parents (all things being equal-since you say you love him/her and were dancing like no tomorrow on your wedding day, your parents taught you ethics, courtesy and civil manners and you are not a child bride), they may offend you, but you don’t keep malice for 2000 years. Before you know it, you are both laughing like nothing happened. My siblings and parents have pissed me off 1 billion times, I don’t think I would say I need effort to deal with them. Because of these reasons, I don’t see marriage as tough or requiring strenuous effort. Now introduce deal breakers like adultery and domestic violence, then it will be a very tough marriage.

12. Engoz

January 29, 2018 at 3:05 pm

It is boring when people try to intellectualize adultery. You cheated, she forgave you, that’s all. Go away abeg.

• shabba

January 29, 2018 at 3:42 pm

Abi? All of a sudden Jay has turned messiah!

• Mawi

January 29, 2018 at 6:15 pm

I tire o. Lol

13. Sisi

January 30, 2018 at 3:02 pm

I love how we are romanticizing his cheating. Of course it’s their relationship and Beyoncé’s response to his infidelity in spite of her songs says a lot. However Jay Z still cheated, broke their marriage vows, probably lied and she has had to deal with that as a woman. It’s sad really. Men need to do better, in fact all cheaters need to do better

14. Bobosteke

January 30, 2018 at 9:24 pm

And he couldn’t just say Beyonce us my soil.mate. She is the person I love. He used “it”.