BN TV

Internet comes for Katy Perry after she kisses American Idol Contestant

BellaNaija.com

Internet comes for Katy Perry after she kisses American Idol Contestant - BellaNaija

American Idol judge Katy Perry is coming under some intense fire on social media after kissing a contestant.

19-year-old cashier Benjamin Glaze had told the judges he had never kissed a girl, as he has never been in a relationship and can’t kiss a girl without being in one.

Katy Perry had told him: “Come here. Come here right now,” and an obviously flustered Glaze walked toward her.

She had stuck her cheek at him and he asked: “One on the cheek?”

He had kissed her on the cheek and she requested for another, and she quickly snuck her lips in when he obliged her.

Glaze had told the New York Times he was a “tad uncomfortable” by the kiss. He said:

I wanted to save it for my first relationship. I wanted it to be special.

Would I have done it if she said, ‘Would you kiss me?’ No, I would have said no.

I know a lot of guys would be like, ‘Heck yeah!’ But for me, I was raised in a conservative family and I was uncomfortable immediately. I wanted my first kiss to be special.

Glaze had however quickly clarified on his Instagram, writing that he did not feel assaulted by the kiss. He wrote:

Hi everyone, I would like to clear a few things up for anyone who is confused, concerned, or angry.

I am not complaining about the kiss from Katy Perry at all, doing a few news reports and being interviewed by many different reporters has caused some major questions. The way certain articles are worded is not done by me, and my true intentions are not accurately represented in every article you read about the situation.

I am not complaining about the kiss, I am very honored and thankful to have been apart of American Idol. The main purpose for the show is to find stars and new music artist. I do wish I would have performed better in the moment. I should have picked another song to sing and calmed myself down regardless of the kiss. I should have been able to perform under pressure.

I do not think I was sexually harassed by Katy Perry and I am thankful for the judges comments and critiques. I was uncomfortable in a sense of how I have never been kissed before and was not expecting it. My main goal is to reach people through the universal love of music and not cause strife or anger against anyone or about any situation!

Please take into consideration that I don’t believe my views have been appropriately communicated through the media!

Thank you to everyone who has followed me in this journey and I hope I answered a few questions.

Still, the internet is going hard on Perry. See comments from Twitter below:

See a clip of the kiss below:

1. WIFEMATERIAL

March 17, 2018 at 1:09 am

AHAHAHAHA

2. CrazyWorld

March 17, 2018 at 2:25 am

Women shebi you have seen what you have caused. Even the boy doesn’t feel sometype of way about it. Many females would have used this opportunity to start #metoo if Katy was male and the kissee was female

• QuiteAnOkayWorld

March 17, 2018 at 4:50 am

You can see clearly that he said he “felt some type of way about it”. You shouldn’t mock people for exposing sexual assault or misconduct. By the way, MEN are also part of the #MeToo movement e.g Terry Crews, Anthony Rapp.

• Smh

March 17, 2018 at 11:16 am

Don’t be stupid. I know that’s very difficult for you to do but try. Any sensible and reasoning adult would know that this sets a very dangerous precedent. She has absolutely no right to do what she did and should be punished appropriately because had the roles been reversed there would be an uproar. Stop encouraging sexual misbehavior especially when it’s done to men. That’s what makes most of you grow up to be f—ed up in the head. Talking about see what women have caused, you’re not stable and I hope you or your family never experience sexual assault.

• CrazyWorld

March 17, 2018 at 10:43 pm

MAYbe you should go and read again where he said he isn’t complaining about the kiss. He doesn’t feel harassed. The owner of body said he doesn’t have bodyache, you are crying for him.

3. Meee

March 17, 2018 at 4:48 am

This is nonsense very outrageous. Imagine if their genders were reversed, Katy would have had to resign or be fired outright. Sometimes we women feel our gender excuses us from rubbish like this. In her mind now the guy should be eternally grateful that the ´mighty’ Katy Perry gave him his first kiss. Mchewww oniranu ??

4. Miracle Offorma

March 17, 2018 at 5:33 am

That’s pure madness. Rubbish.

5. BlueEyed

March 17, 2018 at 6:23 am

Guys it not that deep, for the main reason that the audition aired then he was already okay with it and most likely signed off on it too. So yeah, the uproar is unfounded. But I agree that if it was the opposite sex in this clime it would’ve gone down differently.

• Smh

March 17, 2018 at 11:17 am

Shut up

6. Buki

March 17, 2018 at 6:38 am

Totally unacceptable! You don’t do sexual stuff without consent.

7. Dee

March 17, 2018 at 10:29 am

Not cool, Katy!

8. jokobaba

March 17, 2018 at 11:39 am

So he has been sexually harass now? Snowflake generation.

• jokobaba

March 17, 2018 at 11:50 am

harassed*

• Nito

March 17, 2018 at 6:15 pm

Yes, especially if he wanted his first kiss to be special. Look at the video, he was being mocked even after being told he wasn’t going through. Kiss some more girls?? I don’t really care much for this gender war as wrong is wrong irrespective of gender.

• jokobaba

March 17, 2018 at 7:58 pm

I hope you realise that show is produced and everything is done for a purpose? Of the billion questions he could be asked why was he asked if he had kissed a girl before? They wanted to create a controversy to get some attention. However if he was sexually assaulted let’s get Ms Perry arrested and put her on the sex offenders’ register.

9. Tink tink

March 17, 2018 at 7:56 pm

If the roles were reversed, a woman can sue and her millions. I hope he takes legal action. Yes I’m a woman!

• Tink tink

March 17, 2018 at 7:57 pm

Meant to say “sue and get millions”

• Frank

March 18, 2018 at 4:10 am

My thoughts exactly

10. Passerby

March 18, 2018 at 3:51 pm

Katy Perry meant well but she was forward. Everyone has a right to their level of exposure. He wa definitely very uncomfortable but is just covering up because he is obviously a gentle guy who doesn’t want drama or anything to affect his career.
    Very awkward but a lesson to Katy. If she were a He it would’ve been way worse…Men get flagged more because they have an upper hand privilege in the society. The men should chilax. The moment women are equally privileged things will change.
    She’s lucky he isn’t complaining on her.

11. Ibi

March 19, 2018 at 1:20 am

I think it was unfair. can you imagine the tension he would have been under. He hadn’t even done his own presentation yet and it probably affected him. It might not have looked like a big deal but can you imagine another 33 year old celebrity like Trey Songz kissing a 19 year old contestant and then hi-fiving his fellow judges. Internet would’ve dragged the hell out of him. Feminist groups would have come for him. by now, there would have been petitions to get him of the show. my two pence