Scoop

MBGN 2005 Omowunmi Akinnifesi shares Testimony on Never Giving Up & Following your Heart

Beauty queen and entrepreneur Omowunmi Akinnifesi in a new post on her Instagram page shared a testimony of how she achieved everything people closest to her told her she couldn’t.

From being told she wasn’t pretty enough to win MBGN, to being told she wasn’t good enough to gain admission into Kings College London.

She wrote:

Someone very very close to me once told me that it was impossible for me to win MBGN. “The other girls are way prettier than you. Are u blind?”. Yet i won.
How can you win Miss Tourism International? “Look at Miss Russia’s body?”…. Yet I won.
“You can not win Miss Bikini International with your dark skin”. Yet I won. In total 3 crowns. Yet i won
Next was you can never finish with an Upper Class Division. You are too busy as MBGN. Then i finished with a 3.9 GPA. Yet I won
Kings College London can never admit you Omowunmi. Forget applying because they only take certain kind of students. Then Cambridge, Imperial, UCL and Kings College sent me admission Letters. Oxford put me on their waiting list. Because i was told KCL was way out of my league i chose KCL. Plus i liked the fact that my High School was Queens College and my Uni was Kings College. Yet I won
Then i decided to start a business and someone very close to me said “you know you are just not good at Business”. Now they come to me for business advice. And i have 4 companies i run. Yet I won.
I cried everytime someone told me i couldn’t. But have never gone the way people tell me to go. When i do i fail. I go the way my spirit directs. If you follow the words of people you will fall and remain stagnant. Dry your tears, follow your own heart and fail forward knowing you followed you. At the end of the day you face your death alone so what the hec. Lets run this race called life and run it unapologetically ✌?. #Gogetter#Spreadpositivity#Femaleentrepreneur#YetIWon#YetIAmstillWinning

1. Joke

March 19, 2018 at 10:21 pm

A lot of people project their fears and failures on others, particularly “challenged” people such as women, immigrants, minorities etc and that’s why we often stay where we are. Even my own mother tells me, “Ah you want too much…” But I ignore her. I tell her we are different people with different personalities and from different generations. At least, try. It’s better to try and fail than not to try at all because even failure in one area, puts you ahead of others in another area in life. This is another reason why one should never ever listen to anyone saying don’t do this or that. Just do what your heart desires because you will be the one to live with yourself as a failure or a success.

2. talkmoreabts*x

March 19, 2018 at 10:54 pm

Joke I liked your comment maybe it is because of the way it is narrated, especially your first sentence..it just seems inspirational. The MBGN comes across a bit like she is boasting, like she just keeps winning which of course is her right, she achieved quite a lot!.I wish her more achievements. May she never experience failure. Sky is the limit.

But Joke your words spoke straight to me! thank you and God bless you

March 20, 2018 at 10:56 am

True talk more it seems like a humble brag but her intentions may be sincere. The bottom line of the message is yes you can….an attempt doesn’t kill.

• Sherlie Holmes

March 20, 2018 at 1:55 pm

Not necessarily. We should try to look beyond what may appear to be “boasting” and receive the message she’s getting across.

“When i do i fail. I go the way my spirit directs. If you follow the words of people you will fall and remain stagnant. Dry your tears, follow your own heart and fail forward knowing you followed you.”

I totally understand her message, she didn’t negate the fact that she had struggles, didn’t receive support and encouragement from those close to her, and that she actually did fail. The point is, through it all, she still pushed through those challenges and achieved her desires.

Very encouraging! You go girl!

3. Me

March 20, 2018 at 12:43 am

Very insightful; well said Omowunmi i quite agree with not paying too much attention to what people say. Spot on!

4. chi

March 20, 2018 at 9:13 am

Good motivation this morning…thank u Omowunmi for sharing…so true…Congratulations on all your wins. keep winning beautiful…

5. Deleke

March 20, 2018 at 10:17 am

Haters gonna always hate, so guess what, believe in yourself and do YOU

• Ephi

March 20, 2018 at 2:42 pm

Exactly.

6. Oma

March 20, 2018 at 4:18 pm

@Deleke, it’s not always about haters …a word which now gets on my nerves cos every opposing view is called ‘hating’. Like @Joke said, sometimes its just about people projecting their fears and insecurities on you…and perhaps their failures too. It doesn’t mean they hate …their experiences have just led them to believe in certain limitations. So , just find your courage and do what you believe and succeed …or even fail in some instances… your efforts will help others see the possibilities. There are those who will be encouraged to dream further and try harder just because you did. And let me say it again, I really do hate when opposing opinions are termed ‘hate’. It’s not always about that …