News

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is curious as to why Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio begins with “Wife”

BellaNaija.com

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is curious as to why Hillary Clinton's Twitter Bio begins with "Wife" | BellaNaijaChimamanda Ngozi Adichie interviewed US 2016 presidential candidate Hillary Clinton at the PEN World Voices Festival lecture on Sunday night.

Full of praises for the politician, Adichie said there was one thing that did bother her about the former First Lady:

In your Twitter account, the first word that describes you is ‘Wife.’ And then I think it’s ‘Mom,’ and then it’s ‘Grandmother,’

Her husband, Bill Clinton, Adichie continued, does not have “Husband” leading as his Twitter bio.

And when I saw that, I have to confess that I felt just a little bit upset. And then I went and I looked at your husband’s Twitter account, and the first word was not ‘husband.’

She asked to know if it was Clinton’s choice to identify first in relation to her husband, and why she chooses to, if she did.

Although Clinton did have a pretty good reason why she has “wife” leading her bio, she said she would change it. She said:

When you put it like that, I’m going to change it

Explaining why she has it up on her bio, Clinton talked about the importance of personal relationships, and the fact that women should be able to celebrate both their relationships and their achievements.

1. 7Th Floor

April 23, 2018 at 11:35 am

sigh… is this your version of woke? Unnecessary fuss.

2. Cocoa

April 23, 2018 at 11:41 am

Chimamanda, in YOUR Twitter bio you may describe YOURSELF as you so please.

Some of us believe that our family comes first before our achievements , if you feel otherwise ….run YOUR life as such,

It’s so rude to shame another woman in this way. To the extent that she said she will change it. If i was Clinton I will stand my ground, no one gets to tell me MY TRUTH.

This new age feminists that just want all traces of our link to men to be erased. SMH.

• Patrick

April 23, 2018 at 12:27 pm

Its almost insanity at this point. Disturbing!

• Cmbo

April 23, 2018 at 1:25 pm

spot on!

• tunmi

April 24, 2018 at 4:27 pm

She did not shame.

oh BN you too. You didn’t post the entire context..oh well

3. Anonymous

April 23, 2018 at 11:50 am

Na wa o! Bullied the poor woman into change. The woman says wife, what is wrong with that? Feminitarian!

4. kk11

April 23, 2018 at 11:54 am

This Lady is progressively making nuisance of herself

• Fifi

April 23, 2018 at 5:00 pm

Its all getting into her head now, she begining to irritate me

• kweshion

April 23, 2018 at 5:26 pm

i hear that her in laws dey see hell for her hand…

5. ngozi

April 23, 2018 at 11:59 am

As in i tire..lol..

• L

April 24, 2018 at 9:03 am

The in-laws should stay in 5heir own house.

6. Jummy

April 23, 2018 at 12:04 pm

Bye! Like wife is such a degrading title. Everyone, even her (i mean Hilary), knows that she’s more than a wife. Chimamanda is just what American likes.
    She’s overdosed on PC and is partly the reason she’s getting this much recognition.

7. Deleke

April 23, 2018 at 12:10 pm

ITK

8. CrazyWorld

April 23, 2018 at 12:10 pm

Chimamanda is starting to show CeeCee signals. What’s your own with what someone else put on her bio. You know this is how people destroy relationships? Someone that has been happy with something before, all of a sudden you want her to start questioning something so harmless.

I always try to see from women’s view and try to feel what they feel but this is not feminism in any way. If Chimamanda is really serious about this equality or feminism issue, let her use her money to sponsor scientists to find a way that men can carry pregnancy so child birth can be shared. John has been right about her all along.

• Lol

April 23, 2018 at 5:09 pm

GOD BLESS YOU!!!

If Chimamandas achievements is priority to her then that’s her business , other women can enjoy beautiful relationships and still be great achievers without having to compromise on the true importance of family. Abeg carry your bitterness and don’t mislead our young girls Chimamanda

• Intheoverseas

April 24, 2018 at 11:55 am

Cece’s. Signs ke? Tueh! Please I know this was reaching but please don’t insult Chimamanda. Cece’s attitude is against EVERYTHING feminism stands for and has not managed to convince African women her achievements or strengths that don’t revolve around drama with a man or agbero fights so please eh, no more.

For Chimamanda, I don’t it is so bad to have asked the question. It didn’t seem malicious. Just stated her opinion and sentiments towards the reference. In all, my sentiment is that she is only trying to dissolve this wide perception that women aren’t women until they are qualified with the word “wife”. But if you choose to be qualified as that first as one of your successes before any other educational or economic achievements then that’s to you, after all, “the right to live” and “freedom of expression” are two fundamental rights that supersede any new age concepts.

9. RIFF RAFF

April 23, 2018 at 12:20 pm

Haba! You are upset? But aunty Chi’, Hilary can put whatever she wants on her bio, na. You don’t feel the need to carry your husband’s name , is Hilary disturbing you for this. This is what is troubling Africans: You blindly copy oyinbo without taking time to grasp the full meaning of their ideologies. Now see you now, oyibo woman proudly identifies herself

• RIFF RAFF

April 23, 2018 at 12:24 pm

Now oyibo woman proudly identifies herself as a wife, it is paining you. Feminism is standing for what you choose to be and how you want to be without being diminished or shamed. Fulfilment and accomplishment means different things to people.

10. RIFF RAFF

April 23, 2018 at 12:25 pm

CHIMAMANDA WHO DID NOT EVEN HAVE THE GUTS TO MENTUION THE NAME OF THE ONE WHO ASSSAULTED HER IS BULLYING A FELLOW WOMAN BECAUSE OF HER BIO.
    This woman got it all wrong this time

• slice

April 23, 2018 at 1:08 pm

And here you are shaming women that have not had the “guts” to name their assaulters

11. istidele

April 23, 2018 at 12:26 pm

still yarning dust as usuall

12. La Lush

April 23, 2018 at 12:31 pm

Taking panadol for someone else’s headache!
    I don’t understand why ‘wife’ as a description will make someone who is married (a wife) upset!

13. Melvy

April 23, 2018 at 12:34 pm

I Love and admire you Chimamanda, I really do but I think you should take a chill pill on this one… Everyone’s kind of feminism won’t be the same and shouldn’t be the same… Feminism means different things to different people. People should be allowed to express themselves or speak about themselves anyway they deem fit.

• BlueEyed

April 23, 2018 at 7:08 pm

I agree with you also, I love her and I am a fan however I think on this subject matter she is questioning another person’s choices. The world already acknowledges Hilary’s achievements, she is allowed to pick whatever form of achievements she wants to prioritize, isn’t that the whole point of feminism anyway.

• tunmi

April 25, 2018 at 3:04 pm

it’s an interview for crying out loud, and the question is valid. Clinton had a full and robust reply (pun hella intended)

14. Torch

April 23, 2018 at 12:46 pm

Unless we want to lie, Bill Clinton’s name opened a lot of doors for Hilary. Something like Remi Tinubu. I am very sure women in the same level as she is will need to work thrice as hard to get to that level. She is right to have put wife as the first achievement.

• Simi

April 23, 2018 at 8:06 pm

To be frank, Bill Clinton’s name has been as much of a burden to Hilary as it has been an advantage.

15. Tina

April 23, 2018 at 12:48 pm

I knew this chick had lost it a long time ago(stopped being a fan). Oversabi, why don’t you live your life and let others live. What makes you think you know it all and have the right to question people on their choices.
    I’m well educated and top notch in my field. I don’t use my husband’s name for reasons best known to me but I don’t criticise or condemn those that do. Nobody is right or wrong, it’s a matter of choice. That what being progressive( I refuse to use the awful word Feminism) is all about. RESPECT!

16. jokobaba

April 23, 2018 at 12:52 pm

I thought feminism was about the freedom to choose. So you’re unhappy with her choice to identify as “wife” first ? Feminazi much!

• Lilo

April 23, 2018 at 1:18 pm

Anything we do in life, let’s try not to talk too much cos our conflicts and contradictions will become more apparent. Ever since she started saying Beyonce is not a feminist etc i started to side-eye her cos she just seems to talk too much.

17. olajumoke

April 23, 2018 at 1:01 pm

I dont think chimamanda should be insulted for this.. she asked why she put it there in the first place and it was hilary’s choice to defend it,. no one bullies anyone to the point of changing their status on their twitter page if they dont wish to do so… So it was hilary’s duty to give a reason and stand by it regardless…

• Cocoa

April 23, 2018 at 2:36 pm

She was not INSULTED …she was CORRECTED.
      She didnt just ask a QUESTION,…she made a COMPLAINT.
      It was done in PUBLIC.

18. THE MUMMY

April 23, 2018 at 1:05 pm

Chimamanda will soon be ‘cut down to her size’, by the same oyinbo people egging her on to sit on the chair right above a hole covered with mat. Lol

• Confuzzled

April 23, 2018 at 1:38 pm

That’s what worries me the most.

• californiabawlar

April 23, 2018 at 2:46 pm

You might be saying this because you don’t like her (not sure)… but I really like her and also worry about this. I would hope that she’s aware of the complexities of oyinbo allyship. They are a fickle lot!

• Lilo

April 23, 2018 at 3:55 pm

Thank you. Oyinbo Support for you should not get you carrried away at all to the point of yarning yam. if you don’t look like them they give you a very short leash and way less than 3 strikes before they scoop up another token. I see it everyday in corporate America where their tolerance for your shenanigans is just very thin. You screw up, they move you out and put an asterisk next to your name. If you recover and get them to remove that asterisk, then your dad must be ogboni and your mother marine spirit. Meanwhile when Tiffany or Britney screws up – it’s all parked under her learning and development journey. Hahah

19. Ceejay

April 23, 2018 at 1:09 pm

Am a female and I know see this feminist thing is taking a whole new level,the women that started the whole feminism thing geared it towards women receiving equal pay as their male counterparts and not what is it today.Yea we want equality but it can only be in some particular aspect of our life which is work place and women representation in society. Anyone taking feminist into marriage or relationship is just creating issues where there is none,truth is there is no equality in relationships we all have different strength and part to pay. A man can’t do 9 month and birth a child neither can the woman have the strength of a man no matter the steroids she takes. I really feel we should stop and reevaluate this thing before it gets beyond this. Don’t know the Bible well but it says to know the man is the head because there can’t be two masters on a boat it would wreck.

• Cocoa

April 23, 2018 at 2:45 pm

Hi Ceejay,
      The Bible says we are EQUAL.
      I think what you meant to say perhaps is that WE ARE EQUAL by have DIFFERENT ROLES within a MARRIAGE.

Yes the man is the head of the household.
      Yes the Bible does say we are PHYSICALLY WEAKER and goes on to tell the men to look after us, (1Peter 3:7)

I think women see “Weaker” and get offended. You dont need to know the Bible to see that indeed men are physically stronger than us.

• LemmeRant

April 23, 2018 at 6:54 pm

Oh!! Your dawn is just breaking abi.?

When I called out tone for being a fraud long ago, y’all labelled me all sorts.. Hater, rapist, woman beater, misogynist… Etc

When I called out this babe too back then for her apparent hatred of men, it was the same thing yet y’all couldn’t see it cuz of you were still bitter about your exes and the fact you aint married (***side eyes***)

This is a woman who complained that her husband was getting “accolades” for taking care of his child. Everything to her is a competition between men and women.

Anyways its just funny when I see the so called “enlightened women” like @ARN (I miss that babe), @californiabawler (This one is just a noise maker), @egnoz etc. eat up whatever this babe spews but complain that Nigerians are gullible when it comes to Religion and Politics.

Anyways we’ve been down this road b4.
      They will still call me names, they will still throw insults. But the truth always has a way of surfacing and yeah, I’ll be there to say “I told you so”

20. Lilo

April 23, 2018 at 1:16 pm

Chichi chilolo African chikito #1. You are trying too hard methinks. I am a single woman so you can’t be pro-women equality pass me. Ok? But ain’t nothing wrong with anyone’s title beginning with anything as long as whatever it is is FACTUAL and they identify as that. Hilary is a wife and that’s a fact. She is a mother. That’s facts not printer. I thought the essence of inclusion, equality ABBL is to answer to what you identify as not what the society wants you to identify as right? Girl, grab a seat or go deep condition your hair with some vegan butter and rabbit milk. Mschewwwwwe

21. Author Unknown

April 23, 2018 at 1:38 pm

I think Hillary had her Twitter bio start off with Wife for a reason. Likely a political move to be more relatable to women, I’m not a big fan of Chimamanda’s, and have often pointed out her occasional missteps, but her question was nonetheless a valid one. My only issue is the presentation. That it “bothered” her.

• Cocoa

April 23, 2018 at 2:54 pm

The question remains…is she a wife? Yes she is . As long as its not a lie…..she has every right to put it up and not be challenged by another. What is wrong in wanting other women to identify with you??????? And to be more relatable to them??????

What next? Why did you put Christian on your bio?
      Why did you put 1st class holder ? Looooool

Sorry, her question was INVALID and RUDE and unbecoming of a woman whose agenda is supposed to be UPLIFITING WOMEN.

• Author Unknown

April 24, 2018 at 2:43 am

@Cocoa. Rude, maybe. Invalid? No. See, Hillary Clinton is a gender identity based role model for many women and young girls…and believe it or not, men. If you think feminism is about women only, think again – what father does not want his daughter to have a Hillary Clinton to look up to? She is probably one of the most visible of our time, whether consciously or unintentionally. The struggle for many generations is that women step out of their husband’s shadow. and shine. This also means that you not be defined by your husband. That is not to say you can’t love and respect your husband. Now, back to Hillary. Hillary identifying herself first as a wife takes the struggle back many, many years. Had she not ridden the wave of feminism to her advantage, maybe I’d be looking at this differently. Feminism plays out differently with different people, but I tell you Hillary listing wife after “mother” or :”grandmother” would not have taken anything from her. Again, it’s Hillary just being Hillary. Never quite believes in anything, but anything that gets her popularity. I like her all the same, but I wonder when I see you guys defend her so strongly. Social media is after all an act.

• Christian-feminist

April 24, 2018 at 4:13 pm

She is allowed to be bothered by something she is uncomfortable with, is she not?

22. GirloftheWorld

April 23, 2018 at 2:02 pm

I am a feminist and not to brag, but I have excelled in a male dominated field. I wear my professional and academic accomplishments like a badge of honor. And why shouldn’t I? As a woman, I’ve overcome a lot of adversity to get to where I have today.
    However, if you asked me who I was, I would answer “Child of God, Wife, Mother and Professional.” In that order. My academic accomplishments and professional accomplishments are extremely important to me, but why can’t other spheres be important as well? Why can’t I be as proud of the other facets of my life as I am my professional life? Feminism is about giving women the power to choose. I have chosen to have a family and I should be able to be proud of that. Must women be put in a box?

• mz_daniels

April 23, 2018 at 4:18 pm

nice one. My father used to say he was a child of God, husband of his wife, father to his children, then a businessman in that order. I am a feminist and I believe in women suceeding as women,

23. King Julius

April 23, 2018 at 2:06 pm

Chimamanda asked a simple question, she was curious and she got an answer. I don’t see the problem here.

24. Baybie

April 23, 2018 at 2:09 pm

dear Mrs Chimamanda,
    Won’t it be more effective if we focus on questioning matters actually affecting women?
    Hilary Clinton’s bio has not stopped her from achieving ALOT, in fact she has reached heights that many women can’t dare get to. Whatever she decides to put on her bio is none of our business. What about we focus on women who actually see themselves as only a ‘wife’ and nothing more?? I will appreciate it if you focus on more important issues, not Mrs Clinton’s bio or questioning Beyonce’s feminism, these women have already broken boundaries.
    This is the reason why i am always sceptical about ‘movements’. Once it goes mainstream, it loses its value.
    Maximum Respect to the feminists who are still focused on the main goal.

25. wendy

April 23, 2018 at 2:27 pm

She reminds me soooo much of Monique. Made fortune body shaming skinny girls… had lots of followers…. But she now the Skinny sososo.

26. Ese

April 23, 2018 at 2:38 pm

She slid her hand into my bra and grabbed my boobs……i gently removed his hands. I continued to be nice and respectful towards him hoping he will push my poetry book ……in my late 30’s i cant still name the man and i was this conniving and ruthless girl when i was 17years old. – This is the story of over sabi Chimamnda and her foolishness thinking shes smarter than everyone else

27. Rossypetite

April 23, 2018 at 2:39 pm

honestly this one weak me, its really becoming tiring. I find it difficult to see the basis for this question. She claims it even bothered her. so feminist shouldn’t align with or celebrate relationships, family or spouses. In one breathe she preaches freedom of choice and in another breathe, questions the decision of another woman to legitimately make a choice of how her bio should be.. this is contradiction. its her choice and it must be respected period! if I were Hilary, I wont change it. I don’t respect Chimamanda for this.

28. californiabawlar

April 23, 2018 at 2:43 pm

Lmaoo… none of y’all having it.
    If we go by logic I would think that since HRC was married before most of her accomplishments she would put wife first in her bio. On the flip side, for women who achieve a good deal of success before getting married, it might feel a little odd to describe yourself to call yourself madam first. I mean, weren’t you doing something before the marriage? Say, for instance, Aunty Chima would definitely describe herself as an author first.

Now if we would all come out and say the honest truth, HRC has wife up in her Twitter bio because she wants to do the American family values thing. I mean she’s as ‘wifely’ as I am an Olympic swimmer, lol. A lot of people think because she’s oyinbo they don’t have to pander to similar societal pressures we do in Naija. Ta!! Not all oyinbo cultures are born equal, this their America is quite backward…

29. Na me talk am

April 23, 2018 at 3:21 pm

I have always said that when you die, no one will write on your grave your professional degrees or achievements, . It is usually husband, wife, father, mother, brother, sister, son, daughter, auntie etc We can choose to identify ourselves as we wish without being questioned unnecessarily about it.

• Ine

April 23, 2018 at 9:06 pm

Who cares what happens after we are gone. Live right first.

30. mrx

April 23, 2018 at 3:23 pm

I am just curious what the world will become if these liberal phycos (feminist) have power. The woman didn’t even think that far. Stop forcing your single story on other people. I am a fan but sometimes she is inconsistent.

31. Nana

April 23, 2018 at 3:48 pm

Most of the commenters here clearly haven’t watched the video of the conversation between HRC and Chimamanda. There was absolutely nothing insulting, mean-spirited or forceful about Chimamanda’s question. She asked a well-meaning question in good grace. HRC understood the question in its entirety (context included) and responded graciously. The two women and the audience had a good laugh about the whole thing. So if the person to whom the question was directed understood its intellectual register and took no offence, this ongoing hullabaloo is unnecessary. At this point if Chimamanda sneezes, some people will find a way to turn it into something else. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. And of course, too, Chimamanda’s star just keeps rising higher and higher.

• Fizzy

April 23, 2018 at 4:25 pm

You dey mind them? They take their cue from sensational headlines. You’ll expect them to go watch the discussion before commenting but Naah, that is too much effort demanding. Unfortunately for Una, Chimamanda no send una. Girl be repping well and soaring in the right circle not on Bella NAIJA.

• Cocoa

April 23, 2018 at 4:51 pm

I’m glad you said everyone is entitled to their opinion.

• californiabawlar

April 23, 2018 at 5:28 pm

@Cocoa, but let us base our opinion on fact na. Ranting and raving based on a sensationalized headline is not a valid and entitled opinion, lol.

32. Her Grace

April 23, 2018 at 4:04 pm

I really do not think there should be anything wrong in being a wife (or not being one). I just think men and women are put together in the planet for a purpose greater than themselves. It really does not make you less of a human if you are addressed as a wife (or not). I dare say the reason for men being the head of the household, as quoted in the bible, is for order purposes. That does not mean they are not equal. There is orderliness in the ship when there are no captains fighting for position of authority. Would be proud to be a wife and addressed as one when the time comes.

33. wide eye

April 23, 2018 at 4:07 pm

Naijas ever So emotional So reactive.

This is such a simple conversation una don go very far. No wonder Naija is where it is. People cannot calmly look at a situation for what it is? A without critically looking

These powerful women know exactly what they are doing, Just see Hilary’s thoughtful approach and response.

I identify as a Professor, a Doctor a Chief before husband . The Felas, Adeboyes Oyedepos Obasanjos Gani’s, even yabaleft people like FFk, DinM, Fayose do not identify as husband first.

Ha naijas..No wonder, in the other article, Adaeze picks her hubby but is not sure hubby picks her ( if she, in the intimate relationship, is not sure, then he doesnt).

Its just a question, it got an answer,

34. Elizabeth

April 23, 2018 at 4:14 pm

I think what Chimamanda was going for with her question is this: “Was Hillary under pressure to put “Wife” in her biography because she wanted to appeal to voters who endorse patriarchy?” I think Chimamanda feels that Hillary was pressured to put in “Wife” because it would make her seem more accessible and less threatening, where if Hillary was a man, that wouldn’t be the case.

So, what Chimamanda was going for was: WHY did you put it there? Though some may say Chimamanda has no right to know this, but the answer to this question is always a reflection of the type of society we live in.

And though many women may say that putting Wife is their choice, the truth is that many women, especially politicians do this to project a more ‘wholesome’ and ‘homely’ image, and I believe this is what Chimamanda was upset about.

So, if women choose to put “Wife” in their biographies, then it should be their CHOICE, not because they feel the silent and sinister pressure to do so. And I believe that Hillary answered the question perfectly, stating that there needs to be a balance between relationships and achievements,

35. Hmm

April 23, 2018 at 4:21 pm

I do not blame Hilary Clinton for addressing her marital stutus on twitter, Bill is well known for having a roving eye – Imagine the effrontery of Monica Lewinsky telling the media that she had a consentual relationship with Bill Clinton, whilst he was married as a president.

If Chimamanda was married to a man like Bill, she would understand.

36. Tara

April 23, 2018 at 4:34 pm

it seems like most people don’t get it. By defining herself as wife first Hilary is perpetuating the idea that for a woman becoming someone’s wife is the greatest achievement they can have. Especially someone in Hilary’s position who has achieved so much she should’nt be obligated to define herself in terms of her husband especially as in the exact same circumstance he does’nt do the same. She is her own person with her own achievements, more than just someone else’s “wife”

• Lilo

April 23, 2018 at 4:39 pm

Nah. YOU don’t get it. I can define myself as whatever the ferk I like. A lot of Fortune 500 CEO s will tell you they are a husband first or dad first or whatever first. Stop barking up the wrong tree

• Cocoa

April 23, 2018 at 4:54 pm

Being a Godly wife is a greater achievement for me than lets say my degree. And i am proud to say that. It may not be for YOU. Bur it is for some. And that’s okay.

• Christian-feminist

April 24, 2018 at 4:09 pm

Exactly!! Chimamanda is asking a valid question. Nigerians are so frustrating!

37. John

April 23, 2018 at 4:42 pm

This Igbo girl sha!!!

Typical black mentality

This is how they were introduced to reilgion ( Christianity and islam) .

Now they don carry the thing ..turn am upside down put am for head like gala…use the the thing dey cause havoc up and down.

Now the monkeys have been introduced to feminism and they are now feeling like bodyguards ..telling you on how to live your life which is kinda ironic

But I am not suprised…ask them to describe feminism ..they will start by telling you it is not about hating men but equality and women having the right to choose on how to live their yen yen yen.

Cock and bull story!!!

Feminism is a trojan horse anyway. Beneath all that , is a rotten foundation filled with a bunch of programmed man-haters especially the dumb black ones.

I just dey pity any unfortunate gullible women that were suckered into that hate movement.

I no dey have mercy on those that have stupidly fallen into my trap especially in my organization

Anyway , As I said before and my guess..it is all part of her igbo hutsle..her target is probably a nobel prize..

I wonder what kind of trick she will pull off to attain that…

another sexual assult from an unknown man or will she go all the way and divorce and comes out as a lesbian..I won’t underestimate her on that

For her mind now..she is in the same league with white women and now a feminist icon and gatekeeper.

Not knowing she is just a liberal puppet..until she makes one huge blunder ( which her ego is starting to make). Like when she tried that her nonsense with the transgenders and they smack her back in line so fast.

Let her make one wrong move again and they will dump her so fast that she will find herself back in Nsukka..she is not the first and won’t be the last.

38. Engoz

April 23, 2018 at 4:54 pm

Very good question. It is very glaring Hillary Clinton has made a lot of sacrifices and compromises to be accepted into conservative American society because of politics. Despite making these compromises she still didn’t win the most important position she wanted, but was rejected by these people. Hillary, time to give them the finger and be yourself.

This woman used to be known as Professor Rodham, but changed her name during Bill Clinton’s second race to governorship after she learned that voters in conservative Arkansas had gripes over her usage of her maiden name.

And for us to argue choice, we have to eliminate negative consequences attached to the cost of going against tradition. If you cannot be accepted in conservative America if you do not adopt traditional gender roles, we cannot argue on choice. Eliminate consequences and we can argue ‘choice’.

Now what’s the problem?
    Both women are feminists. Both women are discussing feminist issues. Both feminist agreed. Now, my question is why are you people that are not feminist having menstrual cramps over the issue concerning feminists o?

BN, abeg go and write another article about how they can stoop to conquer over their man so that they can be inspired and be filled with ‘wisdom’, lmao.

• Tolani Efueye

April 23, 2018 at 6:06 pm

Thank you o!

• californiabawlar

April 23, 2018 at 6:26 pm

“If you cannot be accepted in conservative America if you do not adopt traditional gender roles, we cannot argue on choice. Eliminate consequences and we can argue ‘choice’.if you do not adopt traditional gender roles, we cannot argue on choice.”

Omg!! While I also easily figured it was up there to pander to conservative America, your comment on choice is very eye-opening for me! It is very applicable EVERYWHERE!
      Thanks, lady!

• Jummy

April 23, 2018 at 6:36 pm

Your arrogance is so glaring I actually feel pity for you.

• To engoz

April 23, 2018 at 6:37 pm

LOL, AND WHO ARE YOU TO TELL HER HOW HER SELF IS SUPPOSE TO BE. AND WHAT SACRIFICE ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT. SHE IS WHAT SHE IS BECAUSE OF HER HUSBAND. IT IS JUST LIKE REMI TINUBU SAYING SHE SACRIFICED SO MUCH IN HER POLITICAL CAREER. THE SAME WITH MICHELLE OBAMA. NO WONDER , TRUMP HAD A FIELD DAY WITH THEM. FOBYOU TJINK TRUMP WOULD HAVE FIND IT SO EASY WITH A WOMAN LIKE TATCHER.BUT FEMENISTS HATED TATCHER BECAUSE SHE SAID DISLIKE FEMINISM.

Why did Hillary feel the need to include those tags in her bio? It is POLITICAL, not choice..

WHAT OF, IT IS NOT YOUR DAMN BUSINESS. STOP MAKING THINGS UP TO FUT YOUR TWISTED AND SICK NARRATIVE

ABEG, GO AND GET YOUR PVC AND STOP YARNING DUST

Now what’s the problem?

TYPICAL COMMENT FROM A RADICAL FEMINIST. IT IS THERE WAY OR THE HIGH WAY. IRONIC COMING FROM PEOPLE WHO ALWAYS SPEAK ABOUT CHOICE.

POOR ATTEMPT AT DEFLECTION. I KNOW THAT ARTICLE BY THAT YOUNG AND SMART FEMALE WRITER STILL DEY PAIN YOU. THE KEYWORD IS “CHOICE” WHICH YOU FEMINISTS FINDS IT HARD TO UNDERSTAND THAT IT GOES BOTH WAYS.

• Engoz

April 23, 2018 at 8:57 pm

Lmao. You all will kill yourself on top my matter. You call that a response? Nothing educative just more emotion. They were on a high insulting Chimamanda all morning, just my small comment and they wanna die. So you guys don’t like being insulted? But what to insult Chimamanda? You peppersoup women need to stay DAMN clear off intellectual topics you know absolutely nothing about and stick to your watered down, irrelevant topics. BN is a big platform, STAY IN YOUR LANE or be dealt with as I continue to expose your non-intelligence and school you in the process.

Hillary Clinton said it herself she had to change her name because of voters views on her maiden name. It was a problem. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/11/19/the-fascinating-history-of-when-hillary-clinton-has-chosen-to-use-her-maiden-name/?utm_term=.65146115608f

Do your freaking research before you have the effrontery to rush with uneducated responses. You will only end up looking stupid. I don’t make up assumptions or pluck my submissions from my ass like you do and be crying like a goat on the internet.

And for you to make INFORMED DECISIONS, free from biases and scientifically argue on CHOICE, you have to eliminate every negative consequence.

Again, stay in your lane or be disgraced.

• Engoz

April 23, 2018 at 9:33 pm

@Jummy

You feel pity for me? Lmao. I’ll let you be because I actually do SINCERELY feel pity for you with some information you’ve shared online about yourself. Take care!

• Mrs chidukane

April 24, 2018 at 2:11 am

Spot on Engoz

39. To engoz

April 23, 2018 at 6:29 pm

LOL, AND WHO ARE YOU TO TELL HER HOW HER SELF IS SUPPOSE TO BE.

ABEG, GO AND GET YOUR PVC AND STOP YARNING DUST

Now what’s the problem?

40. To engoz

April 23, 2018 at 6:44 pm

typo!!!

NO WONDER , TRUMP HAD A FIELD DAY WITH THEM. DO YOU THINK TRUMP WOULD HAVE FIND IT SO EASY WITH A WOMAN LIKE THAT CHER.BUT FEMENISTS HATED THATCHER BECAUSE SHE SAID SHE DISLIKED FEMINISM.

41. To engoz

April 23, 2018 at 6:53 pm

The funny part of all this talk is that I can argue that deep deep down.

Hillary Clinton was never a feminist to begin with but actually a very conservative woman.

Her hero was Margaret Thatcher ( the first female PM of britain) who abhors and hated feminist with passion

google it

Hillary was raised on a farm by a very strict conservative christian Republican parents

but was forced into all that poo bcos of her husband liberal party.

42. Mamamia

April 23, 2018 at 7:36 pm

I didn’t need to read this to see how much bs this is, infact if this is what feminism is I am no longer interested. For now, I am daughter, friend, girlfriend, mentor, lover, fighter and when the time comes, I will be Wife and be o soooooo proud of it!!!

43. To engoz

April 23, 2018 at 7:46 pm

The funny part of all this talk is that I can argue that deep deep down.

google it

but was forced into all that poo bcos of her husband liberal party.

44. The Real Oma

April 23, 2018 at 8:12 pm

It is clear from the comments that many people have been waiting eargerly for an opportunity to bash Chimamanda, lol.
    There is such a thing as CONTEXT people. How many of you spilling your bile here took out the time to watch the interview???
    SMH

45. Simi

April 23, 2018 at 8:29 pm

I feel like Hilary felt shamed by the question, which is why I don’t think that the question should have been asked in the first place. Obviously Hilary knows and respects Chimamanda as a vocal and well known feminist of a generation that Hilary herself, as a politician struggles to connect to. So naturally, she will bow to pressure to be more acceptable to a millennial feminist.

To be fair, Hilary has also been through the wringer on this matter of identifying as an extension of one’s husband or not. When she was a Governor’s wife and used her maiden name, she was criticized for it. She then double-barrelled the name, but got criticized for that too when he launched his presidential bid, forcing her to drop Rodham. When she launched her campaign and need to somewhat distance herself from his legacy, she took on Rodham again as the middle name. All this happened, whilst the media consistently made her out to be unfeeling, not touchy feely typa woman. To help dispel this image she took to talking about family life and being a grandmother in interviews about whether she will run.

So you see this question or it’s answer is very loaded for HRC, It carries the weight of having to constantly twist/conform to advance her ambition and CA being a huge fan would have known this.

HRC has her faults, but in these moments I feel terrible about how we pull her in a thousand directions.

46. Naijalikita

April 23, 2018 at 8:48 pm

Lilo, please name 3 and point us to their social media accounts or other sources where top 500 CEOs self-identify as husband first

47. Amebo

April 23, 2018 at 9:37 pm

Wow. All these vexology on top of Chima’s matter.

The fact is in 2016 (in fact 2018 self); a woman president of the USA has to add wife to make her relatable but a man doesn’t. Sad but through but this is the world we live in. For a woman to have a shot at the white house, she must be seen to display a higher level of “homeliness” than a man in the position. Equality means that women and men should be held at the same standard for the same role.

If Hilary Clinton identifies herself as a wife self because she wants to, no wahala but if she is doing it because it is expected from her and failure to do so will hurt her chances; then we have an issue.

This unnecessary pressure on women manifests in many ways. For example, Sheryl Sandberg in the book Lean in gave a few examples of women who were already making sacrifices in their career before they found a man. They were turning down roles when they weren’t planning for kids in 5-7years time. I reflected on myself and realised that I did the same myself.

Women, I find are often acting like that giant that is trying to tone or bend so as not to draw attentions to ourselves. Always trying to fit into a mould we have been given.

The New Zealand PM said that she doesn’t mind the interest in her pregnancy and hopes that it wont be interesting anymore”. I am going to take it one step further and say that, I hope one day the world will only care about your CV and will hold men and women to similar standards for professions.

48. Ceejay

April 23, 2018 at 10:37 pm

Many mixed opinion bottom line is that in the whole feminism race she shouldn’t question the decision of others but focus on making women have equal representation in the society not these one that she is taking it into people’s marriage and sending wrong messages to younger generation.

49. Sinaj

April 24, 2018 at 10:59 am

Smh!

She lost it this time.

She will preach feminism from herco-husband husband’s home while her ignorant follower’s home get broken nd some still single because of feminismIf she isnt a proud wife nd a mother, let her leave Mrs Clinton to her choice.

Obama’s own started with dad, husband… nd nobody made any fuse abt it. Its little things like this dat destroys reltnshp. I wonder if she wants the woman to query her hubby or wat.

After all the so called feminism is about following ur choice.Family should always come first b4 anything.Dnt coman put sand in anoda person’s garri

50. Bia

April 24, 2018 at 11:23 am

Chimamanda is a prize writer who only uses her intellectual wits to court controversy for publicity and her liberal followers mistakenly think she is a genius. She preached feminism in America, but had a housemaid in Nigeria whom she did not give equal access to education.

• Bia (The real Bia)

April 24, 2018 at 5:12 pm

You cannot be a LIAR and a thief all at once. This is my blog name!

51. Christian-feminist

April 24, 2018 at 4:05 pm

I understand Chimamanda’s perspective. I really do. Marriage really does seem like a prize to a lot of wives but not husbands. I wonder why this is so. Why aren’t men as proud to be husbands as women are proud to be wives? I think this was Chimamanda’s point and I agree with her. We thank our men for doing house chores and taking care of children as if that’s not what they are supposed to do. You live in a house, you do house chores. You have children, you care for them. You are not doing your wife a favor by doing what you’re supposed to do as a husband, father and home owner. We need to stop babying men and start being firm. Women need to realize that marriage is not a prize, it does not make you better than other women, your husband is not your crown, you are not a half needing a man to make you whole. We are complete and whole in God and God alone. Yes we are to respect and love our partners but respect does not mean worship.
    Nonetheless, I think Chimamanda needs to be aware of white validation and the trap it sets for people of colour. I hope she stays true to herself and her vision and does not succumb to mainstream pressure. I for one am rooting for her.

52. AdaAda

April 24, 2018 at 4:37 pm

Chimamanda has become a PC Robot. I pity for you, the same people that are programming you will make you vomit everything they promised you. No be today, only a matter of time.

53. Just saying

April 24, 2018 at 11:34 pm

Bellanaija, I have this one thing against you: You don’t do your research well enough and you try to twist people’s word and the context in which they used it to attract traffic to your page. This topic is an example. After reading this story and comments , I was initially upset with Chimamanda until I watched the whole interview for myself. There was nothing offensive about what she asked. It was asked politely , not in anyway to denigrate Hillary Clinton, and the answer was perfect. If you watch the whole interview, then most of you will understand Adichie point of view and questioning, It was not any different from anything Oprah Winfrey or any other excellent reporter would ask. I am not a big fan of Chimamanda for those who think I am, but I think it is right to call things out when you are in the wrong, BellaNaija Reporters, you are in the wrong. Now you have created this web of people who lack understanding (i.e the OAP and the bleaching entrepreneur) to come and give their opinion without reviewing the piece first. Bella , you have the potential to become the huffingtonpost f Nigeria, but you must work on your journalistic skills. This is not the first time, you have incorrectly reported stuff. You are not Linda Ikeji, stop trying to be that.

• tunmi

April 25, 2018 at 3:09 pm

yeah this really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I understand driving traffic. you could have included Clinton’s full response or the video below but making it a separate blog post hours later…BN, please do better.