Scoop

“I felt like I went through a rebirth” – Toke Makinwa opens up on Struggle with Depression & Overcoming It

Media personality and author Toke Makinwa, in a lengthy post on Instagram, talks about her recent struggles with depression and constantly doubting herself and a recent surgery she had.

She spoke on how after her surgery, she felt like she went through a rebirth and a burden had been lifted off her shoulder.

She wrote:

Long and honest post alert***

I like to think I’m strong, I like to think my mind is positive and I’m out here focused on me, building to have a better life than I’ve had and just trying to leave this world a better place. Watching this clip broke me because this has been my state of mind this year. The devil targeted my mind. He tried to make me lose my mind!!!! Somehow strong TM started to live in a lot fear and doubt and the fear quickly turned to depression.

I could sell out my bags or kill it at a stage play or smash another milestone in my career and be so happy today and wake up sad the next. The devil started planting words of uncertainty in my heart and I started to drift. I started to feel unworthy and it was a strange feeling I had a very important procedure and I didn’t tell anyone simply because a part of me wanted out from it. (Can you believe the cheek), last week I went into surgery and as the doctors did their thing, Jesus did his. He was there to lift all the unnecessary burden and give me a new heart and as I woke up I felt different. I felt chosen, I felt like I went thru a re-birth and I share this because someone out there is struggling too.

We all have bad days but it’s not a bad life, we all doubt ourselves and feel uncertain but the fact that you are still breathing, there’s a second chance being given. It’s hard because we’ve become a people who shame others for opening up and who ridicule others to hide our own insecurities but I had to share this because just because you think TM is strong and untouchable which she probably is, I let the devil in without knowing it.

Once you lose the battle over your mind, once you accept the negativity and let the doubt in and begin to listen to those words, you let the devil win and he will take it all. I know it’s hard, the fact that you face this challenge is tough enough but God is building you up to show you off so you too can one day say you’ve been thru the fire and you came out on the other side cos you have been chosen. It’s never easy for the selected. Your life will inspire someone to live again, take another chance, build again and stay alive. Stay winning✌

Watch the video below:

A post shared by Toke Makinwa (@tokemakinwa) on

1. Lilo

April 12, 2018 at 1:53 am

When is she going to battle transgender identity issue? Cos it looks like right now her mission is to battle every struggle in life so she can say she’s seen and loved it all. To date, she seems to have battled
    1. Being cheated on -Infidelity
    2. Being inferior – Self hate
    3. Being envied by Jealous friends
    4. Being broke
    5. Being rich
    6. Being depressed
    7. Being left at the altar
    8. Being std positive
    9. Being bounced at a restaurant
    10. Being orphaned
    11. Being insecure

• Kayla

April 12, 2018 at 4:32 am

Hanty Toke, u didn’t reply John Boyega oh, ikwaikwaikwakwakwakwakwa.
      Osheey, attention seeker. Oya stop being depressed in the name of PA Fadeyi. Ikwaikwakwakwakwakwa

• ceetoo

April 12, 2018 at 10:52 am

Anyone can have those issues at different stages of their lives… not that a big deal.

• Silent majority

April 12, 2018 at 11:09 am

Hahahaha there was absolutely no need for number 9!!!
      That said maybe there’s more to Uncle Maje’s side of this story.
      Aunty here has drama written all over.All over oh!

• Truth

April 13, 2018 at 4:18 pm

You are trash. A miserable, bitter, hateful individual. Honestly, God is the only one that can deliver you from the darkness that resides in you. People around you must be so sad for you. Its just pathetic.

2. Alasheju

April 12, 2018 at 4:12 am

Drama Unlimited…

Queen of make believes

3. Emy

April 12, 2018 at 4:24 am

Toke toke, don’t you ever get tired of these stories you tell almost every time.

4. ceetoo

April 12, 2018 at 10:51 am

The way people hate on her or dislike her… is enough to get someone into depression. Even I get depressed just reading the online bullying and mockery she gets.

• Olu-lo-lu-lo

April 12, 2018 at 9:45 pm

Go on then write a long blog post about it.

5. Ijebujesha

April 12, 2018 at 11:05 am

Her Royal Majesty, Toke Makinwa- Queen of Vanity Imsanity! I don’t think there is any living thing alive that is this much vain. Not even the Kardashians.

6. Manty

April 12, 2018 at 12:46 pm

People can be so horrid. I can’t believe these comments! How do you people feel about yourselves??? You are enough to cause depression.

Toke please pay no mind to this emptiness. Well done and glad you have acknowledged or had it diagnosed. Take care of yourself and stay healthy. Surround yourself with goodness & good people.

• Olope

April 12, 2018 at 11:56 pm

Calling these commenters evil is giving the devil a bad name. You wonder if they will die and put an end to their miseries if they did resisted the urge to cyber bully her. Can you imagine someone movkung her gor being an orphan and people actually agreeing with her?

7. Marlee

April 12, 2018 at 3:19 pm

I love Toke soo much. Keep slaying dragons.

8. Amebo

April 13, 2018 at 10:23 pm

I have never met anyone declare to be healed from depression after one week.

Either you had a case of the blues (and not just depression) to begin with or you are being overly optimistic in your declaration of healing

9. tunmi

April 14, 2018 at 11:16 pm

I appreciate that she is bringing attention to the issue of mental health.

I do hope this is a serious matter that she’s taking on