News

Fashion designer Kate Spade found Dead in apparent Suicide

BellaNaija.com

Kate Spade (Photo by Ben Gabbe/Getty Images)

Iconic fashion designer Kate Spade was found dead in what is said to be an apparent suicide Tuesday morning in her New York apartment.

According to CNN, the 55 year-old businesswoman whose body was found by her housekeeper, allegedly hung herself in her apartment leaving behind a suicide note.

The designer who was a senior fashion editor at the fashion magazine Mademoiselle, started Kate Spade New York in 1993, opening  her first shop in the city three years later and has since then gone to be a household name.

Kate Spade New York issued an official statement on their Twitter confirming the death of their founder.

1. kike

June 5, 2018 at 8:39 pm

Ahhhhhhhh nooooòo jesuuuuuuuuuu ahhhhhhh why kate why? I really admire you

2. Ibrahim ismail

June 5, 2018 at 9:06 pm

Oh no

3. April Laugh

June 5, 2018 at 9:20 pm

This is really sad and depressing. I can’t imagine what she was going through and her mental state. This life is so fleeting and just so weird- when you’re trying to survive and you finally attain greatness but it’s never enough! You shut it all up and you kill yourself forgetting the people that love you the most, forgetting the struggles and great achievements. When my soul is overwhelmed, I go to the rock that is higher than I. Rest in Peace, Kate. May the Lord be with your husband and daughter ??

4. Mrs chidukane

June 5, 2018 at 11:32 pm

Too bad. Very sad news. She will be missed.

5. Osa

June 6, 2018 at 2:01 am

Such sad news. It must have been hell for her.

But come o, all my naija brothers and sisters on IG writing her tributes and referring to her as if they had even ever even as little as heard of her before her death, pls collects props. Nigerians and fakeness. #Famzersoflife.

• lola

June 6, 2018 at 3:43 am

Errm madam osy we do know her and for me i have followed her up closely becos i love her unique way of designing bags, they make you laugh and cheerful

• Osa

June 6, 2018 at 9:33 am

@lola e nle ma.

• Jay

June 6, 2018 at 1:06 pm

Osa, you’re quite unreasonable. What makes you think that “your naija brothers and sisters” haven’t heard of her? Why are some individuals so empty and why do people reason this foolishly? Smh ?‍♀️

Such sad news, depression is real. Rest in Peace.

6. Joke

June 6, 2018 at 2:03 am

I know this terrain well. Depression and sometimes suicide is the bad side of being a creative type especially in these “nothing is never good enough” Western world where creatives work on this or that new line till they burn out and want to end their pain and misery by committing suicide. Same thing with Alexander McQueen and L’Wren Scott. I’m a creative type and when I feel I’m getting depressed I learned to shut down, refuel with other things till I’m ready for the rat race of being a creative type again…

7. Kehinde

June 6, 2018 at 7:38 am

The other side of the story is that she may have been forced to write the note by someone else and hanged at gun point. making it look like a suicide. People can go to any length to commit a crime

• ekohustler

June 6, 2018 at 8:42 am

this is what too much action film can cause…sipping zobo..

• trudy

June 6, 2018 at 9:59 am

Kehinde i love thrillers too!

• Debbie Ade

June 7, 2018 at 6:46 pm

This crossed my mind. Her death doesn’t make sense except that depression is real sha

• Daisy

June 27, 2018 at 1:32 pm

TBH…. This exact thing crossed my mind… but who knows? God.. May the soul of the departed rest in perfect peace.

8. OA

June 6, 2018 at 8:56 pm

Hmmm make I nor lie oh, it did cross my mind say se nor be say dem nor kill her sha! Anyway, I am more on the side of she must have been battling serious demons. May her soul Rest in Peace. Yes, her bags had something really cheerful about them. I just love the colors.