Music

“You are not crazy or lazy” – Mo’Cheddah says, Sharing Experience with Clinical Depression

"You are not crazy or lazy" - Mo'Cheddah shares Experience with Depression | BellaNaija

Fashion entrepreneur Mo’Cheddah has on her Instagram shared her experience of living with depression.

Highlighting stories about Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain, both of whom committed suicide in the past week, Mo’Cheddah revealed that she herself has been suffering from clinical depression for over four years.

She explained that depression is an illness of the brain. The brain gets ill just as all organs do, she said.

She encouraged people suffering from depression to care for themselves, for them to seek help.

It is a disorder, not a decision, she shared.

We are sending love and light to everyone going through this. Mo’Cheddah has also shared hospitals you can visit across the country.

See her story below:

1. legend

June 9, 2018 at 6:16 pm

Love to all of us passing through LIFE.it is well with us

• kike

June 10, 2018 at 9:06 am

Thanks for bringing this up mocheddah. Depression is faaarrrr from natural the white men have a name for evrything even JEALOUSY lols they would say you should treat it,firstly you need someone trustworthy whol would keep it private to help you recover as its said below confessing the love and the promises of God daily will help you gradually come out of it but you do the above by first accepting JESUS into your heart then confesss his word for yourself if you are too low to do that find some true christian to help you and remember NEVER BE ALONE, EVERYONE IS NEEDED SOMEWHERE TO MAKE A CHANGE you are veryyy important so take care of you.

2. lola

June 9, 2018 at 7:28 pm

Medicine or hospital does not cure depression, its the word of God THAT GIVES LIFE that can cure depression,if a depressed person goes to the hospital he or she would feel more lonely and depressed because a hospital is usually filled with this sadness. For those going through depression do not lock it up and pretend, find some good cheerful listening and trustworthy friend to be with until your okay and during this time have this friend read and confess the word of God aloud to you, about his love and promises, and most importantly if you dont know JESUS receive him and his peace will filll your heart.

• AuntyOnceDepressed

June 9, 2018 at 7:40 pm

Please how do you know that hospitals won’t help? Are you a doctor? Are you a therapist? Are you a psychiatrist? It’s more than just the word of God. . You can’t expect for healing just to happen without taking steps to remedy the situation. Your cheerful friend is not a medical practitioner. You won’t go to this “trustworthy friend” to heal cancer or heal liver issues, so why is it different for mental health issues. It seems that you missed the whole point of this post. People of God, get medical help for mental health issues AND pray to God. The two are not mutually exclusive.

• kike

June 9, 2018 at 11:02 pm

Please dear tell them before someone else drops dead again,the drugs the best hospitals in america and india offer requires you to continually take them and they dont stop this depression they suppress it, my hands are on my ears IF YOU ARE SUFFERING FROM DEPRESSION GO TO THE CLOSEST TRUE CHRISTIAN NEAR YOU TO KEEP YOU COMPANY NOT CHURCH GOER! You start from there he or she will lead you through and tell you what you need to do and know to HEAL FROM WITHIN.

• commenter

June 9, 2018 at 11:25 pm

Well said @Auntyoncedepressed.

• E

June 9, 2018 at 7:58 pm

If you are feeling depressed, get diagnosed by a doctor. There are different types of depression, which require a unique form of treatment or therapy. Do not fall for the quack advice that medical care cannot cure depression.

• commenter

June 9, 2018 at 11:24 pm

Well said.

• commenter

June 9, 2018 at 11:24 pm

well said @E

• commenter

June 9, 2018 at 11:32 pm

A trustworthy friend is not necessarily trained for that. Medical practitioner and Therapist are trained for that. Even within those niches, they specialize for different things. There is too much of an effort to separate Medicine and God in our country. What can man do outside of God? Nothing…..Hence, it is fair to say that God gave man the Knowledge to know how to treat. If God didn’t give that knowledge, there wouldn’t be medicine. Trained mental health professionals are placed in positions to help by God.

• Dr. Ngozi

June 10, 2018 at 12:53 pm

You are clearly going through life so unaware and quite frankly it so sad, do not lead people astray, mental health has absolutely nothing to do with man made religion. The mind is way bigger than what we are made to believe and sometimes it can fall sick too, Hope and Faith can be of additional help but you need to get treatment whether it be medicinal or cognitive behavioral therapy. The earlier the better, and the time it takes to get well varies with individual but I assure you there is light at the end of this tunnel.

3. Marie Antoinette

June 9, 2018 at 10:48 pm

I survived six years of depression, five suicidal thoughts and one actual attempt. Depression is a disorder that medical science CANNOT and DOES NOT cure. Doctors will only pump your body full with SSRIs, nothing else! These so called antidepressants does nothing. You waste money on therapy. The Word of God got me through it, understanding the principles of divine healing with faith is the ultimate cure for this deadly disorder.

• commenter

June 9, 2018 at 11:23 pm

I’m glad you survived and are fairing better now. True, modern science will give medication. Medical science itself acknowledges that at his time, they only manage it. Did you go to therapy? Was your therapist a good fit for you? There are many factors that go into the management of depression and I strongly believe that God gives medicine the knowledge to manage and in some cases cure diseases. Please, don’t discourage anyone from seeking medical help and therapy. That is not to say they cannot turn to God, they can. After all, it is God himself that has given man the wisdom to treat and cure disease.

• Eby

June 10, 2018 at 9:03 am

Thank you for this comment. I bless God for your life. Keep winning.

• M&s.reeny

June 10, 2018 at 11:41 am

Thank you. It will be awesome if people understood that big pharma is there to make money first before anything else. Depression drugs are not the solution. There have been documentaries on people who antidepressants made psychotic and they went on to commit mass murders. Be guided people.

4. Kkay

June 9, 2018 at 11:24 pm

An advice for trolls – stop the cyberbullying.
    Next time you want to type that vicious word sentence, pause and think. The recipient is human like you. Nobody has it all rosy, not even the celebrities regardless of what they post on instagram.
    And to the celebrities, keep it on the low. Get the show on the road but keep your personal life hushed. ‘Side effect of too much limelight is blindness’
    The pressure is real. You don’t need it.

Mo’cheddah thanks for getting help and speaking up.
    Have always loved you, girl – music and ‘style-itude’.:-)

5. Seriously

June 10, 2018 at 3:34 am

Truth is, most depressed people in the U.S are diagnosed and put on some type of anti depressant, anti anxiety drugs yet their problem persist or get worst. Mental illness is addressed differently in a place like nigeria. Both places are extreme. Sorry, hospitals, medication don’t help. I will say a good therapy and. Counseling goes a long way. Law of attraction, speaking positivity,
    I used to be on anti depressant drugs in high school, it f*#vked with my mind and brain more. The side effect is another problem.
    You become more suicidal, bipolar which leads to other mental illness.
    Until I became so tired of being depressed and decided to find inner peace within myself on a spiritual journey. It sounds cliche, but I tell you nothing compared to it. My friend got through hers following dalai lama teachings. People have abused religion but connecting with a higher power, source Christ is ultimate.
    Being practical with it will be good

• Eby

June 10, 2018 at 9:06 am

Bless you. Keep soaring.

6. Cocoa

June 10, 2018 at 7:25 am

PEACE is currency. Peace of mind will get you through situations a strong body can’t.

I keep emphasizing on this blog….GOD IS THE GOLD STANDARD. That Bible is LIVING …the words jump out of the pages into your heart and performs soul surgery.

God transforms lives.

Suffering doesnt stop once you connect to God and God never said it will….but HOW you suffer will be different. Even in tears you will be filled with HOPE and JOY and ASSURANCE.

The Prince of PEACE is ABLE. No human can do for you what God promises to. He USES humans to do His Will.

People commit suicide because the devil lies to them and tells them there is no HOPE. IT IS A LIE. REBUKE THAT DEMON. FIGHT BACK WITH THE WORD OF GOD.

But ypu cant fight back with the word of God if you dont know the Word of God. You have to know your RIGHTS.

Please please please….just give God a try….and come back and give your reveiw. “Taste and see that the Lord is good” -Psalm 34:8

I did….and for the past 4 years my life has never been the same . Why do you think im always here and everywhere TESTIFYING? Im a satisfied customer. If you know the depression and trauma He scooped me out from. You will sing with me.

I pray you too will be encouraged and will come to the knowledge and the truth of who YOU REALLY ARE in GODS EYES. Amen.

• Eby

June 10, 2018 at 9:09 am

You are blessed beyond measures. Thanks for this comment

7. Cece

June 10, 2018 at 8:34 am

Please we also need certified psychologists or shrinks in nigeria..someone u can talk to privately and confidentially. We dont seem to have them. I believe a psychiatrist is different from a psychologist. I also have to admit that from a personal experience that if one happens to be a Christian, prayer can help cure depression.

8. Oma

June 10, 2018 at 9:37 am

@Marie Antoinette, @cocoa and @seriously, you are so correct. I am an example too. Funny enough, I am a counselor by trade but struggle with depression. It is a very heavy burden and my logical attempts to handle it did me not much good. Finally I went back to the basics …the very foundation of my being and that is my faith in a higher being. I struggle everyday but since I adopted this strategy, I’ve noticed the difference in my struggles as my faith gives me hope which gives me life. My own counselor told me that it is not once there’s life, there’s hope. That the correct thing is once there’s hope, there is life and faith which came from a study and deeper understanding of my creator gives me that. I wake up everyday and reaffirm my reason for being especially all that is good in my life, even the seemingly minor things like just waking up, or having a family, or a friend’s kindness or not being sick. I use this to work with clients now and they all attest to the difference that their struggle is different. I’m not saying I preach my faith to then but human are spiritual beings, even the atheists believe in something, so I encourage them to go back to that which they believe and if they don’t have anything, I encourage them to read, explore and connect with their inner spirit. On this path, we explore together to hopefully find that which helps them see light in the darkest places. Life is tough but by God’s grace, we will keep surviving with joy and hope in our hearts and not just despair

9. Jane

June 10, 2018 at 6:18 pm

I feel so happy seeing all these comments. @cocoa you are not the only satisfied customer, I am too. Jesus Christ, through his word that gave me understanding by the Holy Spirit transformed my life like day and night. I wasn’t just depressed, I was always angry, hard to get along with, stubborn and quite disobedient, even as an adult. Can you imagine one person delivered from all that? Well I was and it was the most wonderful experience. Before that I tried everything. All psychological methods, some even clinically approved. But Jesus is the source of all things and therefore the one true cure. Bless the Lord!

10. Tootsie

June 11, 2018 at 3:35 am

Words of wisdom indeed. Very well spoken!

11. Fola

June 11, 2018 at 7:09 am

The world’s best psychiatrist will not solve the depression of anyone unless one takes it to the One who created the psychiatrist.

Like someone said above, Christ is the antidote to all problems of life. The bible says “In Him, all things hold together ” . The bible says further that “Greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world”.

Until and unless a person is ready and willing to cling to Christ, the inner peace and joy to overcome all of life’s challenges, depression inclusive, will elude any victim of depression.

12. Enough

June 26, 2018 at 9:18 pm

The reason christ talks work for you is because you’ve been brainwashed into believing fairytales. Christ was an enlightened being. Same way you too can become one. For those that have seen the truth all you need is within. Meditate and find yourself. Connect to the divine.

13. maryam

July 3, 2018 at 4:37 pm

Well,it is better to consult a psychiatrist as depression is not just one disorder,it is a group of mood disorders which vary in severity. Sadness due to circumstances is not clinical depression.People might have suicidal thoughts due to difficult situations..
    Clinical depression requiring Medical treatment :
    Showing a clearly depressed mood for the larger part of the day. This must be shown from either subjective reports or through observation by others.
    A clear loss of interest or enjoyment in all or nearly all activities during the larger part of the day. This must be shown from either subjective reports or observation by others.
    A clear loss or gain of weight and a change in appetite without dieting.
    More or less sleep than normal, sleeplessness and a disrupted sleeping pattern.
    Psychomotor agitation or slowing nearly every day. This must be visible to others.
    Tiredness or loss of energy, nearly every day.
    Feelings of worthlessness or extreme unwarranted feelings of guilt, nearly every day.
    Lessened ability to think or focus or indecisiveness nearly every day. This must be subjectively reported or observed by others.
    Recurrent thoughts of death, recurrent suicidal ideation, or a suicide attempt or a specific plan to commit suicide.
    B. The symptoms do not comply with the criteria for a mixed episode.
    C. The symptoms cause a significant clinical suffering or hinder social, work-related and/or other important fields.
    D. The symptoms are not the cause of the effects of drug or medication use nor caused by a somatic (physical) illness.
    E. The symptoms cannot be explained by grief, for example after the loss of a loved one. These symptoms can last more than two months.

Severity of depression according tot he DSM-IV
    The severity of a depression can be decided with the help of the amount of symptoms present. The more symptoms are present, the more severe the depression is. The DSM-IV has the following criteria for this:

If one criterion is met, “symptom depression” is indicated.
    If two to four criteria are met, minor depression is indicated.
    If four to nine criteria are met, major depression is indicated.
    Also response to medical treatment varies .Some do well on SSRIs but some might need other combination therapy.It is not curable but can be well managed just like diabetes.Of course, counselling helps in the form of a therapist, church or other faith based forms. But please see a doctor because major depression wrestles control from you..So please stop telling people suffering from major depression to snap out of it.