News

Nigeria bids to host 2022 Youth Olympic Games

BellaNaija.com

Nigeria bids to host 2022 Youth Olympic Games | BellaNaija

Minister of Sports Solomon Dalung

Following the International Olympic Committee (IOC)‘s wish to have the 2022 Youth Olympic Games in Africa, Nigeria has submitted a bid to host the games.

Nigeria is one of four African countries bidding to host the games. The other three are Botswana, Tunisia, and Senegal.

According to ThisDay, making a video presentation in Abuja, the sports minister, Solomon Dalung, said the city of Abuja is ready as it has hosted other competitions in the past. he said:

I want to commend the IOC for developing a mechanism for Africa to be taken along through the changes introduced in the organisation of the Youth Olympics. I want to assure you that the capacity of the country to deliver is not in doubt. We will ensure that we package a brand of the Youth Games which after 2022, will set an agenda for the IOC to emulate.

Abuja is ready to host because we have hosted international competitions in the past. Moreover, the IOC has emphasised that countries seeking to host the games should not build new structures but improve on their existing ones or make use of temporary facilities which will be dismantled after the games. We have the organisational capacity, the experience and the technical know-how to host.

Abuja as a city has most of the requirements as enumerated to us by the IOC in a video presentation.

We hope that at the end of the day, Nigeria will be chosen to host the 2022 Games for Africa.

1. Dee one

June 6, 2018 at 9:28 pm

First thing I did was to laugh out loud when I saw this, 2022 is four years away and except a miracle happens Nigeria can never have the capability to attempt this feat. Apart from the sports facilities we have non existent security measures and medical facilities. I don’t think I need to go on so with this few points of mine I hope I’ve been able to convince you all that this is a huge joke that is not even funny.

• UZO

June 6, 2018 at 10:55 pm

THAT IS VERY SHALLOW MINDED OF U TO SAY,ITS THE YOUTH OLYMPICS….U GUYS LIKE TO MAKE THIS COUNTRY OUT TO BE THE WORST NATION….YOUR NEGATIVITY IS TAKING FOOD OUT OF YOUR OWN MOUTH U NO KNOW ODE!!!

• Aanu

June 7, 2018 at 4:29 pm

Its not that serious dear. It’s just not possible ni.

Nigeria is a failed state, and don’t forget Rome wasn’t built in a day. Literarily, judging from our aptitude to work and general development culture…it is almost a dream for such to happen.

Just to many loop holes…we can’t just decide to disgrace ourselves like that. Just start from the borders.
      Do you think that improvement at MMA is world class…..no dear…it is too tacky and not even up to the standard of the smallest airport in developed countries.

Stay woke my dear.

• Dee one

June 11, 2018 at 10:50 pm

It appears you’re one of the thieves who have made this country what it is today. I’ll not engage in any banter with you. Try not to always put up a hissy fit over someone’s opinion. You can simply disagree and walk away.

• Pat

June 7, 2018 at 1:28 am

I am Nigerian and I disapprove. The leaders have not but the country in order since its independence over 60 yrs ago. For the safety of the youths i disapprove. Bunch of nuisiance and jokestars

• Tincan

June 7, 2018 at 9:53 am

Instinctively, I muttered ‘Oh God’ under my breath. I think that the facilities needed can be (hastily) put together. It’s the looting that would accompany the works that I fear…and the shoddy fronts. Jesus take the wheel…

2. Baybie

June 6, 2018 at 10:05 pm

Hahaha! Let me be positive sha. Maybe just maybe e fit happen

3. keke driver

June 7, 2018 at 10:04 am

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

4. Ceetoo

June 7, 2018 at 10:04 am

How does it want to happen? With cattle roaming major roads and major cities? Insecurity, kidnapping etc? Have you seen the dirt in even our model Lagos state? Don’t even go near Oyo State or Aba? The horrible roads? Do you think Olympics is just about the beautiful infrastructure they will hurriedly put together and loot twice the amount used? If you had a child that is supposed to come to NIGERIA for Olympics games Will you agree? I live here and I love this Country it hurts… however I have to be honest… this right here is the least of our problem.

I hope and pray we lose the bid. We have issues let us face it and fix it, then we can host Olympic that will even generate income for us rather than take the money we have.

5. Naija pikin wey don vex

June 7, 2018 at 4:12 pm

I laughed so hard, i almost peed myself.
    Olympics comittee should not agree.
    When Alpha and Beta cities are speaking, Almajiri, fulani herdsmen, boko haram, corrupt, kleptocratic, kidnappers will be speaking.
    Keep quiet there before you get slapped!
    if they are calling countries, Nigeria should shut it!

6. zzzzzzzzzzz

June 8, 2018 at 10:04 am

It’s not impossible for Nigeria to host the Olympics The only problem is that it can be used as an avenue to siphon money