News

Family of Man killed by Policeman awarded $4 by Jury

BellaNaija.com

Family of Man killed by Policeman awarded $4 by Jury | BellaNaija

30-year-old father of 3 Gregory Vaughn Hill Jr was in 2014 shot in his home after the police received a noise complaint.

According to Vox, Hill had been playing some Drake in his garage, loudly, when a woman picking her child up from a nearby elementary school called the police to complain.

Officers had arrived at his home and knocked on the garage door.

Hill had reportedly raised the garage door then closed it after seeing it was the police. This prompted the police to shoot four times through the door, hitting Hill once in the head and twice in the abdomen, killing him.

Although officers claimed Hill was armed at the time of his shooting, the gun found on the scene was unloaded.

His mother, Viola Bryant, filed a lawsuit arguing that the police had violated Hill’s constitutional rights. The lawsuit also asked the jury to determine if the family was owed damages and, if so, what amount.

$4 was the sum arrived at – $1 to his mother for funeral expenses and $1 to each child.

This was because the jury decided that Hill was responsible for his own death and was intoxicated as at the time of the shooting.

Hill’s fiancee, Monique Davis, told the press: “It’s heartbreaking. There are a lot of questions I want to ask.”

I’m going to keep fighting until I get some justice. That’s the only way I’m going to get peace.

Watch a video on the story below:

1. meah

July 23, 2018 at 1:23 pm

This is appalling on so many levels. $4? for a human life?? and just how does a noise complaint necessitate the use of firearm? or were the cops trying to shoot the radio?? This just sucks. May God console those affected.

2. Nuff said

July 23, 2018 at 2:22 pm

Oh America. I weep for you and your value system.

3. Miss Fine

July 23, 2018 at 3:09 pm

Honestly, that judge I leave him to God. Why is this world so wicked. I thought my eyes were deceiving me!

4. marvel

July 23, 2018 at 4:14 pm

I read this story thinking BN made a mistake by summarizing the sum. Way too ridiculous!!

5. tunmi

July 23, 2018 at 11:41 pm

that woman picking up her child…YOU WERE PICKING UP YOUR CHILD!!!!!!!!!!! Why didn’t you just leave and go?

6. Oyin

July 25, 2018 at 3:20 am

That’s the sick racist demented society America is becoming, black families live in fear of being shot or pissing off a white neighbor or co-worker. And don’t make the mistake of being an educated Nigerian, we are walking targets of racist anti immigrant whites ready to kill for sport. I think it gives them a hard on