Scoop

Tomi Adeyemi apologizes after calling out Nora Roberts for using “Of Blood and Bone” Title

BellaNaija.com

Tomi Adeyemi apologizes after calling out Nora Roberts for using "Of Blood and Bone" Title | BellaNaija

Tomi Adeyemi, writer of the fantasy novel “Children of Blood and Bone,” wasn’t very happy with famed writer Nora Roberts.

The Nigerian-American writer shared a photo of the cover of her book and the cover of Nora Robert’s new book which share similar titles.

Nora’s new fantasy novel is titled, “Of Blood and Bone,” a phrase she has used very often in her books.

Tomi, on her Twitter, wrote: “It would be nice if an artist could create something special without another artist trying to shamelessly profit off it.”

She, however, issued an apology later, revealing that Nora Roberts reached out to her and explained that she’d never actually heard of her own book before the Twitter call out.

update: Nora was kind enough to reach out & explain that today was the first she’d heard of my book. After talking to her, I believe our titles were created in isolation. I’m grateful she explained & I’ve apologized, but I wanted to address it here as I know others were upset too

1. Jummy

November 28, 2018 at 11:40 am

As much as I acknowledge Tomi and her work, this was utterly classless.

Why didn’t you reach out to her FIRST before coming to “expose” her on Twitter where she’s been receiving backlash, and of course it went down the whole “black and white” road.

Why do people think Twitter is the first place to say the first thing that comes to your mind?

Tomi, I really like your book and am even gifting it to a dear mentor for Christmas but you no try abeg. Please take this as a lesson and not take to Twitter to express the first thing that comes to your mind.

• tunmi

November 28, 2018 at 3:55 pm

Actually she was NOT classless.

she made a mistake and actually learned from it. Very few own up to their public mistakes…in public…and as loudly as she did.

Aren’t we still waiting for that robust reply on our shores?

• xoxo

November 29, 2018 at 1:14 pm

Yes I’m glad people still remember. Pray, can we start a #RobustRespondNow movement! Never too late…

• Zara

December 5, 2018 at 6:22 am

to be frank, what tomi put out here wasn’t an apology. She was still trying to defend her actions after the damage has been done. Besides, if she researched properly, she will know that no writer has exclusivity to their book titles. None at all Before an author produces a book, it will be with editors and at least take up to a year for the whole works to materialise. Tomi’s book hit the stands this year, doesn’t that go to show you that she came up with the title long ago?

• TheRealist

November 29, 2018 at 2:58 am

@JUMMY, in what land and who do you know first tries to privately “reach out” to someone she believes actually in some manner stole/pirated/plagiarized or otherwise profited from her creation or work? Hindsight and all manner of retrospective pontification is 20/20, but anyone who lives by her intellectual property and believes that someone else has inappropriately appropriate same. And my RESPECT for her grows for having the humility to plead mea culpa and PUBLICLY apologize (in the same medium as her accusation), as well as for Nora Roberts for understanding and appreciating Tomi’s mistaken circumstances. CLASS all around!

• TheRealist

November 29, 2018 at 3:02 am

Meant to write:

*anyone who earns a living by her intellectual property and believes that someone else has inappropriately appropriated same, is well within her rights to publicly call same out.*

• Zara

December 5, 2018 at 6:38 am

You are right!! there is nothing classy/classless about her act. Plagiarism is not a thing of class. I am of the opinion that Tomi should have done a thorough research before apportioning blames. Doesn’t it take at least a year for a book to be published? Toni’s came out this year right? Nora’s too, so this means her book was already in the works passing through editors and the whole yard. Besides, there isn’t there a law that says no author can get exclusive rights to a book title? plagiarism doesn’t cover that. Asides the fact that the book is the 2nd book of a Nora Roberts series. Besides, that apology doesn’t hold water. Words mean something. As a best selling author you have a voice, a platform. People look up to you, fans. Do you know how many of them trolled Nora? with insults For someone who had a powerful tool you would think she will use it wisely. We should act yes, but think first. C’mon for Nora who has at least twenty something years of writing as herself and J.D Robb’s,….
      C’mon

• Fleur

November 29, 2018 at 4:53 am

SHe is juvenile and does not have a twitter handler. She will have to learn the hard way. If you see something shocking, ask first. You never know what you’ll hear.

• David Wilson

November 30, 2018 at 3:00 am

Sorry, Nora wouldn’t have responded. That woman is seriously famous. You have to know better than that. I also don’t think she was classless. Seriously? She just screwed up. I’ve had my own stuff stolen in the past and it really, REALLY grates you. I totally get why she was upset.

• Joke

December 5, 2018 at 3:37 am

Classic Yankee way, do first, think after…Not surprised…

2. Elle

November 28, 2018 at 12:16 pm

Even in the abroad, she still lacks manners. By “shamelessly” calling out Nora Roberts, who looks like the fool now?

3. Californiabawlar

November 28, 2018 at 1:31 pm

She’s always fighting and throwing shade. Quite cantankerous ??‍♀️

• Manny

November 28, 2018 at 7:33 pm

True

• yes maam

November 29, 2018 at 1:22 am

She is Nigerian lol!

• 9ja

November 30, 2018 at 4:14 am

@yes ma’am, exactly what’s with you and the recurring bitterness?

FYI, while she has Nigerian parents, she is actually American having been born and raised in the US (I doubt she has ever been to Nigeria) by (according to her) parents who actually tried to KEEP HER AWAY from her Nigerian heritage from her. In fact, it wasn’t until she went o Brazil and encountered Orisha there did she start researching Yoruba culture. So quit with the self-hatred of reflexively blaming Nigeria for any and all things negative. SMDH

• Fyfi Salty

November 30, 2018 at 10:12 am

@9ja – She still a Nigerian American as long as her both parents are…..

• 9ja

December 1, 2018 at 5:37 pm

@Fyfi, who said she isn’t? But why leave the “American” out of it when it’s something negative?!

• Zara

December 5, 2018 at 6:28 am

This is true. Trust the media in the states, when the book first hit the shelves, she was all over the media as “African- American writer Tomi adeyemi” . When this her childishness ensued, and she is back in the news, she is referred to as “Nigerian writer Tomi Adeyemi” .

4. Cocoa

November 28, 2018 at 1:36 pm

Not wise to think “of blood and bone” is your own coined term…..its like Toke calling out Mrs.Obama for her book “On becoming Michelle”.

• yes maam

November 29, 2018 at 1:23 am

Toke should you know. Will be funny af

• Evi

November 29, 2018 at 8:52 am

As in that was what came to mind. Just like when I wanted to get a domain name for my website, I was so excited to put down what came to my spirit. Because since it was from God, no one on earth would had thought about it. lol and to my utter disappointment, the name was everywhere. I had to add another word to it, that was still taken, then I added blog. As much as we are all unique, we are all very similar and think about the same things. But I’m glad she apologised.

5. yes maam

November 29, 2018 at 1:23 am

moderator, my comments are awaiting release

6. Adepeju

November 30, 2018 at 10:14 am

Plagiarism is something to be taken seriously as writers, its accusations also should be clearly made because it can make or mar a writer’s career

7. Robin

December 1, 2018 at 1:23 am

You can’t close the barn door once the horse is gone. Did she not see that it was Book 2 in a series? It’s clearly on the book cover. Such a temper tantrum. What is she? Three years old?

• Zara

December 5, 2018 at 6:24 am

thank you!!!
      same thing I wondered. To me that was just a silly apology.

8. Therese

January 4, 2019 at 4:48 am

Until I happened upon this non story I had only heard of one of them and that was Nora. You can’t steal someone’s work if you’ve never heard of them!