News

So Sad! Joke Silva’s Younger Sister & Nigerian Contemporary Art Curator Bisi Silva passes on after Battle with Cancer

BellaNaija.com

Bisi Silva, a Nigerian contemporary art curator of over 25 years and younger sister to Nollywood veteran actress Joke Silva, has passed on.

According to reports, she died on the 12th of February following a battle with cancer.

Joke Silva took to her Instagram page yesterday and posted a photo of her sister with the caption “Thou mastering me God…”

There have been countless tribute messages for Bisi Silva on Twitter, from several art lovers around the world.

Bisi was the founder and Artistic Director of the Centre for Contemporary Art (CCA), Lagos, which was opened in 2007.

1. Ebony

February 13, 2019 at 12:55 pm

So Sad, their is this Resort in Jos been managed by a Lady, she uses Nutritional Therapy to cure Cancer, liver and Kidney Disease, its called HBC resort or so my mum was treated there and to the glory of God she has beat cancer…Nigeria does not have the machine to detect early symptoms of cancer before it spreads which leads to many deaths… I will appreciate if Bella Naija will shine more light on this Resort thank you

• Marsala

February 13, 2019 at 7:23 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this. I hope it touches a d reaches loves! RIP aunty Bisi

2. Kim

February 13, 2019 at 1:43 pm

May her soul Rest in Peace

3. Seriously

February 13, 2019 at 1:50 pm

May her soul rest in peace. She seems to have left a positive legacy. I think cancer has become a safer and easier disease to link to the cause of many deaths.
    I doubt everyone is dying of cancer just like that.

• Cyn

February 13, 2019 at 8:24 pm

Leave your condolences and stop speculating on what might have really killed her. Always a conspiracy theory with nosy humans like you.

• seriously

February 13, 2019 at 10:31 pm

@cyn
      From my understanding, I have freedom of speech to express myself. What stupid authority do you have to tell me to stop speculating. You sound more guilty of the same thing you accused me of. It’s not a conspiracy theory, it’s actually something you should engage your brain with and widen your horizon. This is not personal attack on the deceased or her loved ones but a statement that can help inform others.
      For example, if a person died from sickle cell or complication from pneumonia is different from just saying cancer. It makes one aware in a different way that there are different medical problems leading to death now.

• Cyn

February 14, 2019 at 12:21 am

The same stupid authority your nosy ass has to question someone’s death. The family doesn’t owe anyone shit!

RIP Aunty Bisi.

• Seriously

February 14, 2019 at 4:54 am

@cyn
      Calm down, don’t pop a vein okay. I see you working yourself up on your own. You sound insecure and defensive because I wasn’t coming from your train of thought at all.
      Take a deep breathe alright, in then out. Feel better?
      I didnt state in my comment that the family owes anyone. I could care less actually.
      The family and loved ones chose to share the news, nothing wrong with that. My point is, which I’m just speaking in general not specifically in this situation.
      The cause of a lot of deaths seems to be cancer for everyone nowadays. I’m curious to know is cancer viciously taking everyone out or it’s something else. This is from a medical perspective not being nosy.

• Cetoo

February 14, 2019 at 12:33 pm

Thank you for speaking up. I see what you mean. It is not even just saying Cancer (the major culprit) it is also saying undisclosed or simply we don’t know. Two of my colleague’s died in the last two months back to back of similar symptoms… when I asked “what was wrong with them? I am told nobody knows, or family will not disclose or cancer (type not specified) so you know what happens? Because they are in the same dept doing similar jobs the next thing is it is Jazz…this secrecy fuels our superstition and as we speak nobody wants to take up the job they do/did because they are afraid of dying… Africans some of these questions is not because one is nosy it is to crush the superstition and maybe allow people actually seek medical help when ill rather than think they can pray the evil spirit away.

End of rant

Rest In Peace Sister Bisi

4. TEMI TOPE

February 13, 2019 at 7:27 pm

This is indeed SAD! Rest in Peace and in Power. Lovely lady

5. Baybie

February 13, 2019 at 11:02 pm

I really wish a cure can be found soon, this cancer is taking too many people away from us. So sad!

• Ariens

February 14, 2019 at 12:21 pm

It’s extremely difficult to find a single cure for Cancer. Cancer in itself is a wide group of diseases. There’s no one Cancer.

Cancer is the consequence of us living longer lives.