Career

Wunmi Adelusi: How Effective are S.M.A.R.T. Goals?

Reflecting on the month that just passed, many of us find ourselves asking what we accomplished? Those who have set their goals are pondering if they are doing well while those who are yet to set goals wonder how long they would remain ‘goal-less’. These two categories have something in common: they are both thinking about goal-setting. So whether you have put pen to paper or conceived an idea in your mind, you desire to do better and that, in itself, is a good thing.

If there were a list of most popular acronyms or universally acceptable principles, it would be the S.M.A.R.T. principle – Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Time-bound. While this principle wins popularity contests in goal-setting, studies show that some people still consider it to be ineffective. Hence, we hope to come across something more novel.

However, I have observed that the S.M.A.R.T. principle does not seem practical for all because of some elementary things intrinsic to us as individuals.

Reshaping your career mindset

In setting career goals, having the right mindset is critical as it changes your perspective on what is achievable. Knowing that your career is beyond your job role/title and that your career is a marathon, not a sprint will help you see that it is a journey that is not finite.

Do a skills/strength assessment

A skills audit will help you assess where you are and what you can do better. For example, you consider yourself inadequate in writing, then you can set a goal to take 3 to 6 months courses to improve your writing skills. Also, with skills assessment, you can identify what you are good at and leverage on them. For example, you consider yourself eloquent, you can set the goal to volunteer to facilitate your strategy sessions at work, this will give you more visibility.

Be audacious in your goals

To get the sense of accomplishment setting goals brings, your goals must be tainted with lots of uncertainties. This doesn’t mean you should set goals with zero chances of success – that will be demotivating – but setting a goal with a fifty-fifty chance of success is difficult and audacious enough to give you a huge sense of accomplishment when you succeed.

Failing is an opportunity to learn

A lot of us get discouraged pursuing goals because we have tried them before. That is why you should try again, your chances of success are higher because you have learned what you should or shouldn’t avoid.

You are your standard

Lastly and importantly, we must be mindful not to compare ourselves. Your goals are unique to you so you have no business comparing your results to someone else’s goals. It would be a disservice to yourself. How do you even measure progress when you measure your goal on visibility with another person’s goal to have multiple streams of income? There are totally different things and this could take you off course.

I genuinely hope that we all have an exceptional year, even as we make efforts to smash our goals.

***

Photo by Anete Lusina from Pexels

Wunmi is an experienced finance specialist with outstanding academic and professional achievements. She is a mom of two boys. Currently, she works in the Financial Services Industry. Spurred by the desire to inspire young professionals, she started an online community of millennial employees where she shares relevant information aimed at building, empowering, inspiring, supporting and promoting employees to thrive in their careers.

1. Princess

February 2, 2021 at 6:17 pm

I nominate chemis cakes
    She makes really good cakes, one of the best I’ve had,her cakes are really beautiful and fluffy with good customer service to top it.

2. Geo

February 2, 2021 at 7:01 pm

I nominate chemiscakes because her cakes are delicious and good looking they also deliver on timee you can check her ig handle for mpre details @chemiscakes

3. Dosunmu Fisayo

February 2, 2021 at 7:15 pm

Hello i nominate Chemiscakes, her cakes are so delicious and the designs and layers are really lovely. They are also cuatomer friendly. Instagram handle @Chemiscakes

4. Funmi

February 2, 2021 at 9:01 pm

I nominate chemi’s cakes because they make their customers happy,and they ensure that you are satisfied with their products. Chemi’s cake is awesome and the taste is maddddddd. Y’all should check @chemi’scakes on instagram. Thank you.

5. Victoria

February 3, 2021 at 7:20 am

I nominate Mamas.Spot for her great customer service and her yummy food and cakes
    Ig Mamas.Spot

6. Kliz Toler

February 3, 2021 at 8:43 pm

I thought I had lost my gf to her fellow banker in 2019, she just switched off on me. She’s lactose-intolerant and had been trying to lose weight by going on a gluten-free and sugar-free diet. I tried to move on but I couldn’t and it was close to valentine’s. I poured my heart out to a friend that linked me up with someone at Chemi’s cakes. They told me options about using banana as a sweetener, corn flour instead of wheat and other means to improve the texture. They had never had such a request but they promised they could deliver that spec to her in 48 hours and they did with the packaging showing the compliance. She didn’t have to guess who was behind it. I got a call that Thursday afternoon, saw a movie, went to the club, went to my place. We have a child now. When we finally get married, all of you will eat gluten-free cake. Their Instagram handle is @chemiscakes and I nominate them.

7. Eno

February 3, 2021 at 10:36 pm

I nominate chemiscake.They make amazing cakes and pastries.

8. Sussan Afuwape

February 4, 2021 at 12:17 pm

I nominate @chemiscakes. I love absolutely everything about her cakes. It’s fluffy, it has the right amount of flavor, everything… But what stands out for me is the devotion, dedication, and diligence with which this brand is built. You can it in each bite. If you haven’t already, you can check them out on IG @Chemiscakes and place place your order.

9. Sussan Afuwape

February 4, 2021 at 12:22 pm

I nominate @chemiscakes. I love absolutely everything about her cakes. It’s fluffy, it has the right amount of flavor, etc… But what stands out for me is the devotion, dedication, and diligence with which this brand is built. You can taste it in each bite. If you haven’t already, you can check them out on IG @chemiscakes and place your order.

10. Kemi

February 4, 2021 at 3:55 pm

I’ll also be nominating chemi’s cakes, for obvious reasons and even more. Definitely the best cake I’ve ever had and I eat cake for a living lol

11. Okechukwu Judith

February 5, 2021 at 4:51 pm

Hi,I nominate Chemis Cakes because on a more sincere note,I see the love and passion behind it,which is what always makes come out lovely and satisfying💖