BIKINI AFRIQUE

Posted on Tuesday, December 19th, 2006 at 1:42 PM

By BellaNaija.com

We have so many beaches in Africa but we hardly hear anything about beachwear and swimwear.
I personally LUV the beach.
When in Lagos, my saturdays are ideally spent speeding off some isolated beach in the middle of nowhere. If u havent done this yet, do not let this xmas go by without going to the beach (I am not talking about Lekki, Alpha or Bar beach lol, try something different)

Anyway, swimwear is actually big business in the fashion industry.
For now we do not have any Nigerian designers that focus on this niche but here are some African designers doing it big in swimwear and beachwear. ENJOY.

Tracy B Swimwear

Amanda Laird Cherry Swimwear

Black Coffee Swimwear

Colleen Eitzen Swimwear

JBS Swimwear

Stoned Cherrie Swimwear

Sun Goddess Swimwear

So, what do you think? Hot or Not?
Will it be a good idea for a Nigerian designer to start making swimwear?
Any fun beach stories? Let us know…

Have a great week!!!!!!
Nominate your fave blogger for the Nigerian Blogger Awards at T-Minx’s blog
Ciao

Be Sociable, Share!
  • Custom Search
  • 25 Comments on “BIKINI AFRIQUE”

Comments
    • Thoughts December 19, 2006 at 2:55 PM

Some of ‘em are definitely hot.But do you think anyone could actually wear some of them to swim??

• Anonymous December 19, 2006 at 3:00 PM

was going to be first. am i bothered though? There’s no market in Naija for swimsuits. We do not really sun bathe and going to the beach is mainly to hang out in oour best baffs!

• Omolabake December 19, 2006 at 3:44 PM

Nice concept but not so great an idea considering the fact that these swimwears are no different from the western styles.
      I think this designers should make the swimwears with our CULTURE and different sizes in mind.

• Uzo December 19, 2006 at 4:55 PM

We just go to the beach to hangout. Cant really see anyone in Nigeria in any of these though….

• temmy tayo December 19, 2006 at 5:02 PM

Great idea but considering that most Naija women are on the big side i think the designers should manufature for women with bigger frames.

• Mona December 19, 2006 at 5:47 PM

very nice bella, very very nice…..in naij but no beach party stories just yet or rather, not goin for any lol….watch my space….muah!

• NIGERIA POLITRICKS December 19, 2006 at 6:32 PM

Nice post Bella! Can’t wait to see you in one of your saturdays…”speeding off some isolated beach in the middle of nowhere” in 1 of these swimwears…

• Anonymous December 19, 2006 at 7:30 PM

men we gat some fine ass chics 4 africa

• Anonymous December 19, 2006 at 7:32 PM

stoned cherrie and jbs is hot!

• Nilla December 19, 2006 at 7:36 PM

I agree with Anon directly above me: stoned cherry is hot!

• c0dec December 19, 2006 at 8:28 PM

hmm babes…is kuramo still kicking?

• Mari December 19, 2006 at 8:40 PM

Black Coffee Swimwear is that supposed to be beach wear? I think not. I agree with omolabake, they aren’t any different from the western styles and besides, they aren’t a big deal over there.

• Toni Payne December 19, 2006 at 8:48 PM

Im feeling Tracey B #3 and Stoned #2.. Bella you should do one on jeans/denim. I know its a yank thing but Im curious to know if NIG has any good jeans designer.

• Dimples December 19, 2006 at 10:18 PM

Nice..very nice if it was Cancun,Ibiza,Ayia Napa…but Naija such a NO NO!!!

• Angela December 19, 2006 at 11:27 PM

i’m black and i’m proud….LOL all those swimsuits are hot…thanks for bringing those bellanaija and yeah those babes r hotttt

• TP December 20, 2006 at 12:25 AM

The swimwear is definitely hot, but some of them look like they are for posing, not for swimming. And not many people have the physique to pull of the look. Still there may just be a market, you never know. All it takes is for a popular pretty celeb to launch it….

• biodun December 20, 2006 at 3:31 AM

The blue # is hot by Tracy B, I sure wont be caught in it though, lol.
      To my beach story, for some reason I didnt know black folks could actually get tanned (jessica moment) I went 2 d beach n laid in the sand all day, lets just say I looked orangy afterwards, it was bad, n the peeling was irritating!

• tatafo! December 20, 2006 at 5:43 AM

two thumbs up for stoned cherrie!

• Anonymous December 20, 2006 at 7:23 AM

black coffee = swimwear? not by any stretch of the imagination.

• TaureanMinx December 20, 2006 at 9:58 AM

Yeah that coffee swimwear is kinda dodgy. Nigerians seem to be afraid of water.

• Anonymous December 20, 2006 at 10:31 AM

How come most of the boobs are Saggy and flappy…Jeez,

• The Life of a Stranger called me December 22, 2006 at 3:44 AM

Ive seen some that I like. mmhh

• Jaja December 22, 2006 at 7:00 PM

“How come most of the boobs are Saggy and flappy…Jeez,”

Firstly, the models’ boobs are not saggy. Secondly, the some of those models are obviously mothers–if you looked closely at their flat stomachs, you will see their faint scars. They look awesome to have borne children, so props ro them!

• Jaja December 22, 2006 at 7:02 PM

I am happy you spotlighted this as I myseld am branching out into fashion design. It’s called ugoseven, named after my mother, Ugo.

• angelica January 5, 2007 at 2:36 AM

the swim suits are bam but naijirians are probably not interestsd. its not our thing.