A Modern Day Love Story: Anita Uwagbale Weds Tom Iseghohi

Posted on Tuesday, November 18th, 2008 at 12:06 AM

By BellaNaija.com

The Couple

Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria (MBGN) 2004 & Miss World 2004 ‘African Continental Queen of Beauty’, Anita Uwagbale and Transcorp Nigeria Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Tom Iseghohi.

Their Story

In Anita’s words

How They Met: ‘Yes, it is love for me, but it wasn’t love at the first sight. Love comes later for me, and that’s what happened, love came later. I met him on our way back from Miss Universe beauty pageant, we actually met at the KLM business lounge in Amsterdam. That was not the beginning of the relationship because nothing happened. I was still reigning then as most beautiful girl. Nothing happened until after my reign, and that was why I said I met some friends during my reign.
He was there too because he was waiting for his flight to Nigeria. So, he was just there, he said hi to Guy Bruce and Chinenye Ochuba, Most Beautiful Girl 2002, was there too. I actually gave him my number.

He was looking like somebody that didn’t know Nigeria that much, and he is from my state. So, it wasn’t a difficult thing for me to do, because I don’t want anything bad to happen to anybody that I meet, especially somebody that comes from my state. So, I gave him my number right there. No, I didn’t get his number then because I had no plan of calling him.

Weeks later, he called me. He is such a gentleman, he didn’t rush me. He actually didn’t know who I was and I like that. Because most times people date you because of who you are. He didn’t know who I was until Guy introduced me, as Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria, just coming back from Miss Universe Pageant. So, weeks later, I got a call from him and we started talking and that was it. And nothing else happened. He was based in the United States of America, we used to talk on the phone, anytime he is in town, we talk. I was also busy here with all the beauty competition I had to take part in. We met again almost to the end of my reign when I went to the U.S.

The attraction: ‘His looks was not an attraction for me, he is very intelligent and extremely nice, it didn’t take me long to discover he is a very intelligent man. By talking to him on the phone, you don’t have to meet people one to one for you to know how intelligent they are. Just the way he reacts to questions and the way he talks to me made me realize how very intelligent he is. And that was a big attraction for me’

The age difference: ‘He is very mature, and that’s what I like. Because of my exposure, I am more intelligent than an average 20-something year old. So, a guy around that age will sound a little stupid to you when he is talking because you are used to talking to more mature people. I am a very picky person and a guy around my age won’t do it for me, he will be boring. I love to try different things and I love people that have done a lot and he has done a lot for himself. And that’s what I want, I don’t want to be stuck in one place and trying to explain to you what I already know, I want you to teach me what I don’t know’.

The present: The couple have been together ever since and had been based in the US before they relocated to Nigeria last year. They got legally married in the US over a year ago and are blessed with a son, Drake.

The Ceremony

On Saturday, 8th of November 2008, The Civic Centre was beautifully decorated for the wedding as both the religious ceremony and the reception took place at the venue in Victoria Island Lagos Nigeria. The nuptial blessing ceremony was officiated by Pastor Paul Adefarasin of the House on the Rock. It was a very beautiful yet simple and moving ceremony as Anita and Tom exchanged their vows. Anita looked innocent and stunning in a strapless Vera Wang dress and lace veil while Tom stuck with the traditional black suit.

There is just something about this wedding that makes me go ‘awww’.

Love the choice of the venue as well as the simplicity of the bride’s dress and accessories. From the expressions and loving glances that Tom & Anita shared, you can tell they are simply in love. Wishing them all the best and blessings.

All Photos: Bella Naija
Additional Info Source: The Sun

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , ,

• Custom Search
  • 59 Comments on “A Modern Day Love Story: Anita Uwagbale Weds Tom Iseghohi”

Comments
    • Dorah November 18, 2008 at 2:11 AM

That’s sweet that they got married, but it seems like this guys has some cash and she married him for, you know…

• Jo November 18, 2008 at 3:18 AM

aww such beautiful pics…..lovely wedding colours ….but she should have gotten a better lace front ……all the same lovely lovely wedding pics..i wish them both a HAPPY MARRIED LIFE!!!

• bome November 18, 2008 at 3:20 AM

Hell yea he has cash. CEO and transcorp with wallstreet smarts.

I wish them well sha.

But see the difference between the bridesmaids and the groomsmen. Like ladies and their fathers walking them down the aisle…..

I hope they are happy.

• tee November 18, 2008 at 3:44 AM

lol…dats all ima do

• Dorah November 18, 2008 at 4:05 AM

Dude, I swore she had braids in (which is a no-no for weddings). Anyhoo, even though the dude is old enough to be her pops, good luck to them! The wedding looked like a nice one. She didn’t set up her bridesmaids like other girls would.

• WENDU November 18, 2008 at 4:27 AM

I WISH THEM ALL THE BEST

• naijababe November 18, 2008 at 5:25 AM

the girl needs to tap into some of the intelligence that she claims her man hers and learn to speak good english.

• Nkechi November 18, 2008 at 5:48 AM

yeah, they look in love for real. ko easy. don’t like their hair-dos though. just sayin…

• Nkechi November 18, 2008 at 5:52 AM

lol, u just shelled! it’s ‘her man has’ NOT ‘her man hers’, u see, its not easy to watch your grammar and spelling all the time…so don’t judge what you can’t love, don’t push what you can’t shove, as naeto would say…

• suzie dorah November 18, 2008 at 12:38 PM

na wa oh!! bella naija so u couldn’t edit this article. doesn’t say a lot for u guys oh! or were u guys trying to mock the babe??? anyhoo great wedding and the do look in love at least she was honest enough to say she didn’t marry him for his looks. a lot of peeps wouldn’t be so honest.

• ephosah November 18, 2008 at 12:51 PM

love that the bride was simply dressed.

please who wrote this article?????????

• Jay November 18, 2008 at 1:39 PM

if the guy has money then I am disappointed that he didn’t do a lot better. The point however is that we all get married for different reasons: cash,looks, being nice…whatever. All that counts is that we get married…Good luck to the ‘happy’ couple. Nuff hating…..

• Iman November 18, 2008 at 2:42 PM

I love the bride’s wedding gown and the bride herself is actually a beauty- the photos don’t do any justice to her! She reminds me today why she was a Miss World 2004 finalist

• waffarian November 18, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Hi bella!

You can simply fix this article by using an interview style format. As in, let us see the questions ur journalist asked, so we can understand what questions she answered. Like this, its all jumbled up and one can’t really tell why and what she is going on about it. Although I can see from her answers that they were meant for particular questions.

• Kpakpando November 18, 2008 at 6:18 PM

Looks like a fun wedding. Love the mantilla, I’m so using one myself.

OT: Some of your pictures aren’t matching the thumbnails and headings too.

• Estella November 18, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Why are people hating on the girl!
      So, who would the man have picked to marry? A groundnut seller on the street?! he has the right to court and woo and marry the girl of his choice and he did!

And she, having won that MBGN crown automatically became a hot cake who could pick any man of her choice (rich or poor), and she made a good pick!

Abeg, be happy for them!

One thing I am 100% sure is that such a man would be a perfect gentleman, he would be nice and courteous and would treat her like a true woman, a queen, and make her feel loved and pretty and all….so, why shouldnt she fall for him? Huh? She did not become Obasanjo’s 20th wife or yaradua’s concubine!! Abegi! Some of you here drool over Nollywood actors, and am sure would jump at being a Mrs Nollywood Successful actor! So, we should call you gold diggers or star diggers if you ever marry a Nollywood guy/girl?

And I sooo totally agree with her on this statement:
      [quote]‘He is very mature, and that’s what I like. Because of my exposure, I am more intelligent than an average 20-something year old. So, a guy around that age will sound a little stupid to you when he is talking because you are used to talking to more mature people. [B]I am a very picky person and a guy around my age won’t do it for me, he will be boring.[/B] I love to try different things and I love people that have done a lot and he has done a lot for himself. And that’s what I want, I don’t want to be stuck in one place and trying to explain to you what I already know, I want you to teach me what I don’t know’.[/quote]….because sometimes, an older man would be more interesting to talk and chat with than one’s agemate (who are immatured sometimes)….

Women mature and develop faster than men, and many a time, a girl’s agemate may actually be 10 years mentally younger than her. Simple.

Happy married life sister gurl! Enjoy all the good things life has for you!
      Fly your private jets, dine and wine at the best places in the world! be happy in marriage! Afterall, the man saw other rich and glamorous girls all over the world and picked you!

• Ade November 18, 2008 at 7:38 PM

Cute

• giniye November 19, 2008 at 2:25 PM

she is so pretty!!!didnt understand the ribbon on d bridesmaid dresses..her outfit was nice!!!na wa see how she dissed her hubby’s look!!lol!!!! i hope they are truly happy!!!!i hope so!!!Gd bless ur union

• vivian o November 20, 2008 at 12:40 AM

They look like they are genuinely in love. Wish them the best.

• Kanye West November 20, 2008 at 7:03 AM

Bella stop deleting my comment now
      SHE TAKE MY MONEY!

• pb November 20, 2008 at 5:08 PM

Whatever their reasons, they look happy and in love. No one has the right to judge them. All the best to them.

• Nneka November 20, 2008 at 5:30 PM

I second that Estella!!! I’m so happy for them. These young boys can be such a pain in the @#$. They all need to wait for my 13 year old cousin to grow up, by then their thinking faculties would have matured.

• vivian o November 22, 2008 at 4:04 AM

Wishing the couple the very best.

• delta girl November 26, 2008 at 2:44 AM

longthroat girl

• w@l@t@z@ November 27, 2008 at 9:07 AM

@nneka..stop talking crap.. delta girl said(long throat girl)..why Transcorp CEO..not even talking bout dat every1 wants a good life..but for the bride herself to be talking shit bout younger boyz blah blah and u seconding that the young guyz should wait for ur 13yr old cousin..errant nonsense… u ladies need to stop looking on the belligerent part of guys

• w@l@t@z@ November 27, 2008 at 9:09 AM

u talking crap…i’m very sure its sugar daddies u go about with..kpomo human being..LMFPO

• maureen September 17, 2010 at 11:44 AM

u rock girl it is not easy to be in ur position lots of peolpe will diss but u are far better than them.just so u know ur wedding was a blast the best in a long time.

• Qed November 27, 2008 at 11:06 PM

@ w@l@t@z@ dont be upset by the ladies comments, its quite true that most ladies mature quite quick and find guys their age immature/ childish; however I should say that you will find a few guys that are very mature, hardworking and confident for their age but my brother its rare. a couple of years ago I would confidently tell you that I couldnt date any one more than 3-5yrs older than me lol x2….the first guy i dated was 11yrs older me, then came 14, then 2yrs and back to my 14.

The point am trying to make is in a relationship you really need to relate with the person, which I find slighty difficult to do with my peers (its reducing). Not cos they dont have money but they lack the experiences of life that moulds a man and if am not sure my man is focused and has a direction in life and the relationship i wont feel secure; and this truly is what every woman desires.

wish them luck!!! and can add that i’ve got a big crush on chris noth at the moment

• Qed November 27, 2008 at 11:18 PM

@ w@l@t@z@ again….showing respect for a lady is something older guys are perfect at doing (dont matter if its fake). you telling nneka to stop talking crap can tell me alot about personality, showing respect for women seems a thing of the past for younger guys and understanding that you should respect others ppl opinions can be another sign of maturity

• somto November 28, 2008 at 5:23 PM

the guy is kinda old sha! and watz up with his hair??? Well she could just truly and madly be in love with the guy and i dont think its rite for anyone to judge their union. I wish them a happy married life filled with all their heart desires.

• Nneka November 29, 2008 at 3:48 PM

LMAO! Thank you Qed for that intelligent, MATURE rendition. I’ll nip it here and not push my case too much further. There are a FEW mature young men out there. Note my emphasis on the word ‘FEW’. Others are really living in the illusion that they are that way. Most men Tom’s age know exactly what they want; no extra drama, tantrums, whinings, and definitely no fear of committment, things common with wavering, young men. Truth hurts people.

• Enebi December 2, 2008 at 4:56 PM

What’s with his hairstyle? Anyway, I think it’s only proper to respect a person’s choice. But when you start rationalizing and justifying your choice……..there’s definitely a dead fish around. I can’t help but wonder why all these intelligent-&-matured-men-seeking gals never marry much older men who are just getting by. It seems to me that “intelligent & matured” actually means “wealthy & benevolent”.

• honeygirl December 5, 2008 at 2:36 PM

nice wedding dress, nice pictures too. d bride is simply stunning, d groom? just there.

• Sheronda December 5, 2008 at 8:48 PM

The bride is simply stunning but the groom is not as cute….I guess its alot to do with money these day. No body want to marry suffer head…lol

• anon December 9, 2008 at 5:28 AM
    • Bussy December 14, 2008 at 2:18 AM

first of all, why does she have a “wig” on her wedding day, she should know better

Gosh, i know deep down she knows why she married him. Well good luck, I noticed how nobody said congrats!!! Everyone can read between the lines

• elemo December 14, 2008 at 2:15 PM

@ bussy its her fucking wedding and she can use wig,weave,whatever she pleases..as u said it is HER wedding day!

you know why she married him..where u there at the start of thier relationship!!hater oshi..why dont you go and sit down in that dark,depressed sick and twisted corner of yours

• Sheronda December 15, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Dang people…Is all this really necessary? I guess everyone is entitled to their thinkings, ideas and opinions…ain’t that tough and ain’t no need raining curses and abuses. Life is easy so live it easy!

• Designer December 21, 2008 at 12:24 AM

Sheronda – there is no need for you to be this rude. Bussy was only stating the very obivious. The bride looks/looked very beautiful on her day there is no doubt about that but it is really strange to wear a wig. I know one or two people who have done so but it was due to one circumstance or the other.
      People are and should be free to make comments as long as it is not defamatory that is why there is a comment box. No need to get offended and pls mind your language as I am sure decent language would be appreciated by fellow Nigerians and the owners/publishers of this site. Thank you.

• Designer December 21, 2008 at 12:32 AM

Sorry – Sheronda
      Elemo – there is no need for you to be this rude. Bussy was only stating the very obivious. The bride looks/looked very beautiful on her day there is no doubt about that but it is really strange to wear a wig. I know one or two people who have done so but it was due to one circumstance or the other.

• hazel December 24, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Wow, her dress is lovely, and the wedding colours are just perfect unlike the usual rainbow colours naija pip use now check Ay wedding i almost went blind. People shouldn’t be judgemental bout her marrying an old man, i believe she turely loves him and im sure he will take better care of her than any guy her age so all ya player haters should just SUCK IT UP! and mind your biz.

• chic January 26, 2009 at 5:05 PM

How come most of our beauty queens marry/date either old rich men or try so hard to date young rich celebrities answer they are all a bunch of gold diggers who want the good things of life at any cost

• Unknown January 29, 2009 at 3:27 AM

He has a son in the US about 7 years old.

• Trendy January 29, 2009 at 9:22 AM

who asked you? Amebo!

• Unknown February 4, 2009 at 4:44 AM

Who asked you Trendy?

• Jewel February 9, 2009 at 11:14 PM

may the Lord bless their union. Amen
      Beautiful bride. Love is all that matters! if they ve got it, then they can handle it.

• Lord Joe February 11, 2009 at 2:50 AM

Poeple should leave the couple alone and respect them as long as the guy in question can perfom well in bed who cares!

• GeekGirl February 11, 2009 at 4:32 AM

unknown really who asked you…BIF BIF BIF

• Chika Moses February 12, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Alright… this is my disclaimer: I AIN’T TRYING TO HATE ON THE BROTHER!
      However, how is it that these two hooked up?! He must have MAD GAME! This is certainly one of the most unlikely couples I’ve ever seen.

• JOAN February 18, 2009 at 5:06 PM

de bride looks good but cant say dat about de groom.

• data February 20, 2009 at 2:32 PM

who asked you sef?

• Shavaun March 7, 2009 at 6:40 PM

This absolutely the most loving and amazing love story. Thank you for sharing this event with the world. If anybody did not believe in love, then they will now. Best Wishes!

• alex March 20, 2009 at 10:37 PM

it is so silence to say that mr pius o uwagbale did not consent to the said wedding infact queen anita dont know were about of his father

• Musa Sadur March 27, 2009 at 2:55 AM

Na wah Nigeria, people wetin we nor go c for 9ja.bella welldone jare, i don get HBP for another man wahala.I am not sure this anita girl is from edo my place, edo nor dey fuck up like this.i am sure she is an orphan, because no body when get papa and mama go open eye do this kind thing.trendy u bam.

• tele May 15, 2009 at 9:55 AM

it’s so sad that people will just say all sorts about other people without really knowing them,we should all be happy for ouselves in any positive achievements,congratulations anita may the good Lord bless ur union,amen,the gown is beautiful n simple,the heart is what really matters n not the look,

• nkem-J June 15, 2009 at 1:53 PM

i guess she’s really happy bout getn married 2 him cs im in a r/ship wiv an older guy…so wtz al d bif bout, anita luvs him and is married…*E.O.D*

• Swerrie July 6, 2009 at 7:24 AM

Money talks…

• fcuk July 6, 2009 at 10:07 PM

lmao………………..he probably has mad money!!!!

• maureen September 17, 2010 at 11:56 AM

it is not easy to be in ur position, so many ppl will diss but u are far better than they are,and ur wedding is a beautyful classic wedding nothing wrong just perfect.i wish u a wonderful life wit d one u love.