BN EDITS: 11 most iconic wedding dresses in Film and TV

30dd1ab85af14576806e99b7cd8e91e2From My Big Fat Greek wedding to My Best Friends Wedding, Sweet Home Alabama and more recently 27 dresses…it’s incredibly amazing how the wedding scenes featured in FILM and TV  provide inspiration for real weddings!

While I won’t be looking at the creative themes behind the weddings and the floral arrangements, however, I’ll be putting the wedding dresses on the spot.

Since it’s Wedding Week on Bella Naija, it will be fun to reflect on a few fictional weddings and the featured wedding dresses.

What makes these wedding dresses iconic? It’s the style, as it is vastly applicable to today’s bride, it’s beauty, and most important, the scene’s impact on the movie, series or show as a whole!

1. Coming in at number one is Maggie (Julia Roberts) in Runaway Bride. After wearing a bunch of wedding dresses, she FINALLY gets married to the ‘one’, actor Richard Gere in this classic off-the-shoulder gown!

runawaybride

2. Pop icon Madonna’s performance of ‘Like A Virgin’ in the 1984 MTV Music video awards remains till date one of her most memorable as she astonished the crowd appearing on stage in a wedding dress.

untitled

3. One of the dramatic scenes in the movie The Notebook, as  it sets  the pace for the rest part of the movie, is scene where Rachel Adams tries on her Wedding dress.

rachel-mcadams-notebook_l

4. Who can forget Sarah Jessica Parker as Carrie Bradshaw in this Vivienne Westwood wedding dress of a masterpiece in the movie: Sex and the City.

dresssatc

5. The second season of Grey’s Anatomy ends sadly with Dr Preston Burke leaving Christina Yang on the aisle in this mermaid cut intricately beaded bodice wedding dress.

1056410833_6bc4638e08_o

6. At No 5, it’s princess Ariel of the Little Mermaid in her wedding dress…a truly timeless piece!!

wedding-princess-ariels

7. Sophie’s wedding dress in the musical Mamma Mia is worth every bit of this spot on the BN chat!

amanda-seyfried-mamma_l

8. Amy Adams as Giselle in Disney’s Enchanted glows in this puffy wonder of a gown!!

enchantedx-large

9. Serena’s mum, Lilly looked absolutely stunning on her wedding day on a episode of Gossip girl.xoxo..

6a00d8341c630a53ef00e5522b7a748833-800wi

10. Anne Hathaway and Kate Hudson both earn the number 10 spot for their Vera Wang wedding dresses in the Movie, Bride Wars.

bride-wars_l

11. And Finally, Wilhelmina Slater (Vanessa Williams) wears a simple and sophisticated wedding dress in a scene on Ugly Betty!

venessa-williams-wedding

Is there any Wedding dress in Film or TV  that left you entralled?? Share it with the rest of BN readers by leaving a comment.

26 Comments on BN EDITS: 11 most iconic wedding dresses in Film and TV
  • qwerty March 26, 2009 at 7:32 pm

this wedding series ain’t werking!

• Licious March 26, 2009 at 9:15 pm

Man Bella, this your syyle girl always misses it. I could have done a waaaay better job, your forgetting, coming to america, Madea family reunion,The sound of music. when you do a post like this. it is about the ones people will forver remember 20yrs from now. not ish like bride wars and stuff… AND no I am not hating. just my 2 cents!

• MiaJadore March 26, 2009 at 9:25 pm

I agree, the list is totally wrong.

• Chocolat March 26, 2009 at 10:16 pm

Guys..your comments thus fars explains why this website is called “Bella Naija”…..

Do ya thing gurl…whatever works for u..

• tomi March 26, 2009 at 10:25 pm

I have to concur. The dresses are pretty but the writer has misunderstood the word “iconic”.

• nin March 26, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Yeah…I would have loved to see madeas family reunion…by i think you guys didn’t read the intro properly though..she tells us her basis of analysis..
    It may not be your definition, but its hers…and I get it..totally…coming to American is not wearable!!

• bisi March 26, 2009 at 10:48 pm

Na wa for some of una o!!! some people will just come and say they can do a better job!!! Me I enjoy most of her articles…that her style spotloght ariticle one time like this was pretty good oohh…ha..mehn..am sure you no fit talk fashion like that!! for me, some hits, and a few misses..but in gen i get her idea..the problem I thnk is that some people always use their own basis for judgement..learn to be objective!! that’s how some pple just scatter some my style girls here..

• mary March 26, 2009 at 10:52 pm

I love that Westwood dress!!!!!!!!!

• Bee March 26, 2009 at 11:11 pm

I am really big fan of this page….one thing I hv tken note of is that we Nigerian’s sometimes can be hard to please sha when it comes to some certain minor things..like fashion posts..other times…wen it cmes to sers issues..we just relax..anyway..not trying to start a debate… we make comments in the view of speaking our minds..will we want someone to speak their mind to us in that way???? someone tk effort to put this post up and other ones..and she has been doing a bad job all along!! no comment!!..nehu….big notebook fan! that scene and dress definitely deserved its spot!!!!!

• gisted March 26, 2009 at 11:41 pm

it should have been “Serena’s mom” not “blake lively’s mom”

• Nma March 27, 2009 at 12:14 am

Bella and associates…u guys promised us a week filled with exciting wedding articles…and so far only two (IMO) r commendable…i was expecting more of wedding stories and pics….even short stories, love/wedding tales…something….exciting and interesting.

• nm March 27, 2009 at 4:18 am

love love Anna hathaway’s dress
    ariel dress a timeless piece..r u kidding me?that is such a dated outfit that belongs in the 80’s and 70’s!!!timeless piece stand the test of time

• haney29 March 29, 2009 at 12:51 am

I loved Jennifer Lopez’s wedding dress in monster-in-law!

• Akos May 7, 2009 at 10:47 pm

I am 30 plus years old and the older i get the less keen i am on a big wedding. So now i have decided I am going to do a nice simple wedding yet very small and i will wear what Jennifer Lopez wore in Monster in Law (as someone commented – I thought i was the only one that liked it – it has that Aubrey Hepburn sixties style to it, Its simple nice and matured. ) i dont like the cinderella flowing stuff anymore. That woulda been cuter in my 20s

• Akos May 7, 2009 at 11:04 pm

what i actually meant was JLOs wedding dress in her film “THE WEDDING PLANNER” and not monster in law. Go to 3:35 here in this youtube clip to see it

• Annie October 8, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Hey there! stumbled upon this page when I was making my own list… well I think Phoebe’s wedding dress from FRIENDS was a classic, as well as Resse Witherspoons on Sweet Home Alabama… :)

• Rebekah December 8, 2009 at 7:06 am

J Lo’s dress in Wedding Planner definately is cool. But I have to say that Audrey Hepburn’s dress in Funny Face is a classic. I just love that dress.

• Monica Ssali December 23, 2009 at 6:32 pm

Are these dresses in order from as in best??? I have to disagree. How about Toni Collette’s dress in the movie “In her shoes” ? And Anne and kate should have been further up on the list. And Madonna???? Seriously not in the running. :-)

• oh really May 23, 2011 at 3:53 pm

where is princess diana’s dress? her wedding was televised so it should count! – i believe its the most memorable gown of all times!!!

• ritabel July 21, 2011 at 11:16 am

pls can i get princess diana’s weddin gown? i believe it’s the most memorable gown of all times!!!

• Sparxx May 28, 2013 at 10:26 am

what about monica gellar-bing’s dress on friends it was so beautiful it was perfect