‘The Perfect Picture’ breaks new ground in Ghanaian Cinema

Posted on Monday, April 6th, 2009 at 7:13 PM

By BellaNaija.com

bella-naija-the-perfect-picture-main-photoGhanaian movie producer/writer/director Shirley Frimpong-Manso is changing the game! She is pushing the boundaries with her new flick ‘The Perfect Picture‘. The romantic comedy stars Jackie Appiah, Lydia Forson, Naa Ashorkor Mensah-Doku, Chris Attoh, Adjetey Annang, Nana Kwame Osei-Sarpong and KSM. The movie can be likened to ensemble African-American romantic comedies such The Best Man and Soul Food as it delves into the loves and lives of a group of friends. The trailer does not give away much about the plot but the production standards are slicker than the average Nollywood/Gollywood movie.

bella-naija-jackie-appiah-perfect-pictureThe synopsis of the movie: “In what seems like a perfect life, three beautiful women who are pushing thirty make bold attempts to change their lives even when destiny plays its joke on them. With a marriage that seems almost doomed from the beginning, to an affair with an unlikely candidate and the endless pursuit of love, three friends will learn the harsh lessons of life, the challenges of marriage, the fatality of falling in love and the rewards of having a good laugh in the mist of sorrow.

The Perfect Picture offers a colorful and humorous insight into a world where everything is as perfect as your life and that of your friends.”

Check out the trailer below:

Check out the official website for The Perfect PictureHERE

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 50 Comments on “‘The Perfect Picture’ breaks new ground in Ghanaian Cinema”

Comments
    • jen April 6, 2009 at 8:58 PM

I like it, Ghanians are steadily building their movie industry, I can better understand them when it comes to the dialogue.

I love Nigerians movies, but those people yell alot, and too much ad-lib.
      Jackie Appiah you are absolutely gorgeous in this movie. I like the newcomers, thank god Van Vicker and Nadia Buari IS NOT in this film!!

• Adaku Stephanie April 6, 2009 at 9:01 PM

chris is a hottie..sexual chocolate like that..yum!!

• oga o April 6, 2009 at 11:15 PM

wow this looks amazing cant wait 2 c it, go ghana

• truthfully speaking April 7, 2009 at 12:48 AM

Ghanaians seem more into the Blaxploitation thing… Seems like they’re trying their hardest to be Morris Chestnut and Gabrielle Union… Not feeling it.

• jo April 7, 2009 at 2:08 AM

wow! i’m tripped ..looks great …naija take note

• Opinion April 7, 2009 at 2:41 AM

Sharap, Ghanians are boring, that’s why you can hear them.

• Hhhhm April 7, 2009 at 2:42 AM

Take note of what exactly? The accents or the fact that they try to hard?

• Catwalq April 7, 2009 at 6:00 AM

Nigerians like to discredit the Ghanian film industry. In as much as some of their films lack quality, they are constantly trying to set bars for themselves. The first West African film I saw with an interactive DVD menu was of a Ghanian production…
      I applaud this project and await the chance to see it

• Tiana April 7, 2009 at 1:03 PM

i’M LOVING THIS, SEEMS VERY NICE, AND TRUST ME THEY ARE NOT TRYING TOO HARD. tHEY UNDERSTAND THAT THEY NEED TO GO FURTHER THAN THE USUAL STORYLINE AND TRY SOMETHING ELSE. tHIS IS GOING TO BE JUST AS GOOD AS Life and living it and Scorned.

• Ewa April 7, 2009 at 3:47 PM

take note of the quality of production

• Bola April 7, 2009 at 3:51 PM

wow, Opinion, take it easy o.
      ur name says it all, allow others to have their own opinion.
      I love Jackie, shes one of the best. Im so sick of seeing Nadia and Van in every movie, thank God!

• Tiana April 7, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I agree with you.

• hawt April 7, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Opinion don’t take it personal,it’s not that serious :-)

• nu-nu April 8, 2009 at 7:37 PM

i lived in ghana so if y’all want d 411 ask me! Shirley is tryin wit production, d storylines are nothin new or special. Chris attoh is better as a presenter not an actor. He’s tryna fill in d gap left by van. Who has greatly improved i mit add. Oh and chris is a borderline bisexual. Lydia dropped out of school to act scorned. As at d time she got d script she barely had 2 pesewas to rub together and she jumped at d opportunity. I shud kno, we used to live together. Her acting? Average. If u saw her in scorned den u’ve seen d sum of her actin skills. Jackie is a really good actress! D rise of nadia caused her abilities to be overshadowed but she’s gettin back on top. Overall, d movie deserves top marks for effort and production. Its no Jeta Amata rival, but for Tv, it passes muster.

• tee April 9, 2009 at 8:55 AM

whoa… Nija shuld def take note. Loooks soo good…cnt wait to watch it.

Nija’s u can sell a movie without… d usual 51 iweka road onisha rubbish yll are always sayin to promote a movie..

nollywoood still has a long way to go…
      yes im nija, but u gotta give credit when credit is due… the producer/director of this movie tried..I like :)

• B baby April 9, 2009 at 1:13 PM

You have no idea how happy I am to see advancement..and an all dark skin cast,too much Nadia and Van made me weary of the whole scene. Jackie is a class act, can’t wait to see the Ghanaian James bond movie…lol

• akos April 9, 2009 at 7:47 PM

i am ghanaian and not impressed with any of the actors in the movie – not jackie, lydia nor chris attoh. No character they play is ever believable, always mediocre and predictable.

Give me Magid, or Yvonne Okoro or Yvonne Nelson.

I take my hat off to this new producer for at least taking it up a notch with her production, the preview alone tells me its quality, and i am proud of that,but if you ask me bout hte story line and the actors who star in it. MEDIOCRE. It hurts me when ghana has so many great actors (go to to Legon arts and drama school or go watch one of our stage plays and you would be amazed) yet they continue to showcase these mediocre ones.

• oh April 9, 2009 at 9:46 PM

I dont really like to comment but I felt this time I had to. To all those saying Naija should take note I would just like to remind you that it was only a few weeks ago that Bella featured the movie, Reloaded. The movie starred Desmond Elliot, Ini Edo, Ramsay Nouah , Van Vicker and others, the point is the movie was of a very good quality, the storyline was very good and so was the acting. I have no problem with this film or Gollywood in genral, but I think its a shame when Nigerians are quick to criticise Nigeria and all things Nigerians, for those who havent seen the reloaded movie and those saying Nijah should take note, they should watch the movie to see that Nollywood is also stepping up.

All that said I will be watching this movie!

• chris atta admiere April 9, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Chris attah is quite handsome:)

• Abeni Ebony April 11, 2009 at 8:06 PM

I kinda agree with u on that one…I was kinda shocked that they pickes Jackie for the lead…I know for sure someone else could have nailed it..I guess were gonna have to wait and see..

• nu-nu April 13, 2009 at 3:36 AM

yeah akos! GH producers shud be goin to legon to scout for fresh talent. My friend just concluded a beautiful play on Sarafina. Most prominent african actors and actresses crossed over from stage to d big screen. Yvonne nelson is cool but sometimes her acting can be a bit stiff. Better dan lydia forson’s. Pls is she on contract? And for those who keep complainin 9ja actors always shout in movies, hav u realised its a 9ja, if not african, thing? If dis forum had audio it wil be utter chaos, lik a marketplace wit everyone tryna get heard. Besides, if de dont shout how will we hear wat de say? Or ur tv doesnt hav volume control?

• Bola April 13, 2009 at 3:57 AM

I disagree with the shouting stuff. They can shout, but the producers should give us the option to actually hear what the actors are saying.
      Even at the lowest volume, its still noise.
      And if you choose to increase the volume, you’re also increasing the sound of the horrible background music.

Its all about production quality! They can shout if they want to, but we the viewers should have the option to control how we hear it!

• marian April 14, 2009 at 1:00 AM

I hope this movie lives up to the hype. I want Ghanain movies to do well so badly, but as someone rightly mentioned, we do not get there by replacing our culture with somebody elses. We are not British, so lets stop talking and acting as such! Lets be real and comfortable in our own skin. People will demand more of our movies if we display Ghanaian culture and if we are PROUD OF IT. Enough of the uptight Britishness. Lets be comfortable in our own skin. I will like to our natural landscape in our English language movies. Trees, gutters, hawkers, tro-tros, the good and the bad. We have seen enough Trassaco Valley mansions! Ebei! how many of Ghanains live that way? Majority of those mansions are unoccupied, waiting for a buer, and it shows. It just dosen’t feel real. Enough said.

• marian April 14, 2009 at 1:09 AM

You cant hide anything when there’s a camera staring at you. Yes, they are trying a bit too hard. Somebody say “Scorned?” With Jackie, Miss Fake in the lead, I don’t know if that will hapen. A little flexiblity will go a long way.

• marian April 14, 2009 at 1:10 AM

Dont know if she can be flexible that is. Will wait and see.

• Peter April 18, 2009 at 12:06 AM

I’m a Nigerian schooling in Ghana, No doubt about it, Nigeria movie is VERY good, but this movie is great, I have seen a lot of good Nigerian movies like this and I think this movie can compete with them, but I hope the Ghanaian producer will have the money to continue good project like this :)

• Neema April 21, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Please advice me on how to reduce or if possible to remove my bell,
      I have seen many pictures in this blog women they dont have bell at all especially superstar Nigerian ,

Please help me my wedding is so close

• ghanaba May 8, 2009 at 7:20 AM

Marian, I soo agree with u. I would definately like to see more of our ghanaian culture in Ghanaian movies. However, I’m ok with the new approach Ghanaians are taking. Do u know how many foreigners truly think Africans live on trees or in jungles? African movies have really extended to all corners of this earth. I can truly say the western culture portrayed in modern Ghanaian movies is well worth it because it shuts the mouths of these ignorant foreigners. So there are advantages and disadvantages…either way, it’s a win lose situation.

• Sharnee August 3, 2009 at 2:14 AM

I live in Baltimore.Maryland and enjoy african movies very much I just finish watching Perfect Picture it was excellent Shirley do u have any more up your sleeve I loved it and u had my favorite actress Jackie Appiah the movie was cast perfectly A+A+A+A+A+

• Natty August 17, 2009 at 12:52 AM

If u know so much about movies or acting,why don’t you just make some yourself. The fact that someone is a public figure doesn’t gve you the right to say whatever you want about them. Lydia didn’t have 2 peswas to rub together….. SO WHAT? If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• AMBA ADAZEWAH August 18, 2009 at 3:24 AM

KUDOS TO SHIRLEY, THE BRILLIANT CAST AND TEAM BEHIND WHAT IS INDEED A PERFECT PICTURE. YOU HAVE DONE GHANA PROUD AND I CAN’T WAIT TO GIVE COPIES TO PALS ESP. NON-GHANAIANS. PLS GIVE US MORE OF THESE. AND I LOVED THE AMAKYE DEDE PART. CONGRATS TEAM!

• Nana akua September 4, 2009 at 3:14 AM

take note of the fact dat, ghanaians are producing beta movies dan da nigerians, not forgetting da unpredictable storyline too……. i dnt understand y some nigerians can not see we da ghanaian moving for, they always ave something to say….. and taking abt accent, nigerians ave da strongest accent dan we do, so watch u mouth…. kmt…..

• claire September 24, 2009 at 10:05 PM

i loved this movie very nice ….hope to see more of this …

• just knew it September 29, 2009 at 5:27 PM

o please Yvonne Okoro?!!!….dat is soo untrue. are fellow ghanaian actors may not b perfect that i agree with you cos if we were to look out for petty flaws we would lay down soo many. however they are trying their very best and i guess with time they will be up to standard. other than being harsh with criticism let us encourage them by diplomatically pointing out their weak points and not forgetting to commend their efforts. for those who try to compare their standards to those of hollywood stars , u ve got to keep in mind that even those stars struggled rly hard to get where they are today and its taken them years so with time i believe the ghanaian movie industry will be somin else. well done shirley and keep up the good work y’all actors just do not forget your roots. well done

• Lemnda December 5, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Your basis for your criticism is unfounded. The actors and actresses should infact modify their accents in order to be understood by a multitude of movie watchers. I don’t buy the traditional african movies for one cause of the difficulty in understanding the dialogue.

• Judith October 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM

very good one, fantastic move

• joy carine malonga August 31, 2010 at 4:17 AM

Hey, may name is joy and I am 22 years old and I live in Australia. I really like the way you act in many movies. I just want to tell you that I like you so much and I also want you to be my friend.God bless!

• miranda jihpo n April 19, 2011 at 3:35 PM

anyone who say that movie isn’t worth it for kume is a worthless person. U kno at times we dont understand our emotions and where we want to be touch until we say and express our feelings. Go girl its ur time to shine.

• jennifer May 2, 2011 at 9:50 AM

i really like nollywood actors and actreses,john dumelo,jackie appiah,van vicker,majid,genevieve and others d sky wil always b there limit i luv them all.God bless u all.

• Chacha May 10, 2011 at 5:56 PM

9ja started it all de brought ghana to d light n de r stil doing.mek den stop collabo weda ghana or ghonyhood no go fall bt jackie is my colour n i lyk her swag

• traci chloe owusu May 24, 2011 at 5:47 PM

hello, my dearest fun, how are you i hope you are walking in the stream of riches. i want you to be my bff otherwise i will make sure watches your movie again thank love you

• anthony chinyere September 26, 2011 at 3:56 PM

luv you lot , keep it up girllllll

• SYN September 28, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Jackie, you are such a beautiful girl both inside and outside. I love u. KEEP UP. Writing from Cameroon

• lilly February 17, 2012 at 4:08 PM

i’m proud of you my dear made god blesse you

• RUTH February 29, 2012 at 11:14 PM

hi am proud of u

• abiodun felix musa April 23, 2012 at 2:16 PM

u wonderful inspire pls keep it up

• Michael February 8, 2013 at 10:01 PM

This is a great movie. Do they have it on DVD?

• Doris Asuquo Effanga March 11, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Wow jackiah, i so mush love you, in all way round you are such a wander full actress. How i wish i can holy be your friend, love you jackiah.

• Doris Asuquo Effanga March 11, 2013 at 4:44 PM