Chimuanya Ufodike MillionaireIt started off like any other episode of  MTN’s ‘Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Nigeria’, the host Frank Edoho introduced the show – people were seated for the ‘Fastest Finger First’ segment where would-be contestants have to answer a question, whoever answers the quickest gets to the ‘hot seat’ – the actual ‘Who Wants To Be A Millionaire’ contest. This time the question was to order some destinations from East to West – A man called Chimuanya ‘Aroma’ Ufodike was the quickest and so he moved to the millionaire chair. Then the real action began!

Dressed in all black with a prominent salt and pepper beard, this 36 year old bachelor introduced himself as Aroma, he told the host that his name means ‘good year’ and then he jumped right into the game. Question after question, he confidently answered correctly.
He got to the 11th question, one step away from 1 million naira and he revealed that the subject of the question ‘lives on top of him’…That’s right, the person being asked about is his neighbour who lives in the flat above his!

Serendipity at its finest.

It wasn’t until the 14th question worth 5 million naira that he used his first lifeline. He asked the audience; the most popular audience answer was also his choice but he used the 50/50 lifeline to be certain. Another correct answer in the bag. He was now at the final question – the 10 million naira question. No one had ever won the 10 million naira prize. Only one other person has ever even gotten to this stage. Professor Maathai Wangari won the Nobel Prize for which of these? that was the final question. Aroma did not know the answer. He decided to use his last lifeline – phone a friend, he repeated the question several times but the reception was bad (…isnt this show sponsored by a telecoms company?), perhaps it was the nerves but he barely heard what his friend said, he had to ask the host to repeat what his friend said – ‘Peace’. His nerves were shot, he asked for some water to drink. He then decided to go with his friend’s advice. Final answer? Yes, final answer – Peace.

He won! With confetti flying around, like Usain Bolt did after shattering the world record, he jumped up and ceremoniously reenacted Bolt’s signature ‘lightening bolt’ celebration. 36-year old, single, UNN Geography graduate, ex-banker, current entrepreneur – Chimuanya ‘Aroma’ Ufodike just won 10 million naira – this amount of money might not be ‘life changing’ for some in Nigeria today but it is still very special to have made history and won the show. In a country still entrenched in dire circumstances, stories like this offer many hope that maybe one day they just might hold a million naira cheque. In this case, perhaps it was written…that we can ponder, for now, Aroma is off to the Caribbean to enjoy a well-deserved vacation.

Could you have won the big prize? See the questions that got Aroma to the pinnacle! (answers below)
1. Which of these is the name of a British Football Club?
A. Blackburn Losers
B. Blackburn Rovers
C. Blackburn Lovers
D. Blackburn Wanderers

2. An establishment where money can be deposited or withdrawn is called what?
A. Fridge
B. Bank
C. Market
D. Shoe

3. Name given to a boy born on Sunday in Ghana is what?
A. Bassey
B. Kwesi
C. Abiodun
D. Ejima

4. Which of the following refer to the word fire?
A. Inferno
B. Domino
C. Stiletto
D. Tornado

5. According to the constitution a public officer is not allowed to do which of these?
A. Marry a wife
B. Bury a dead parent
C. Have thanksgiving in church
D. Accept gifts or favour in kind

6. The process by which genetic traits are transmitted from parents to offspring is called what?
A. Tenacity
B. Verifiability
C. Hereditary
D. Validation

7. Roland Garros stadium is in which city?
A. Paris
B. Copenhagen
C. New York
D. Madrid

8. Where is Tiananmen Square?
A. Mumbai
B. Beijing
C. Rio de Janeiro
D. Seville

9. The word supersonic denotes which of these?
A. A speed equal to that of sound
B. A speed greater than that of sound
C. A speed equal to that of light
D. A speed greater than that of light

10. Which of these holds bones together at the joints of the body?
A. Nephrons
B. Nerves
C. Ligaments
D. Stitches

11. Linus Mbah achieved fame in Nigerian sporting circles as what?
A. Swimmer
B. Referee
C. Football Fan
D. Judoka

12. DAX refers to the stock market of which country?
A. France
B. United States
C. Germany
D. India

13. Who won the Academy Award for directing the movie ‘Million Dollar Baby’?
A. Clint Eastwood
B. Oliver Stone
C. Peter Jackson
D. Morgan Freeman

14. In which country is the Galeras Volcano?
A. Lebanon
B. Columbia
C. Japan
D. Eritrea

15. Professor Maathai Wangari won the Nobel Prize for which of these?
A. Literature
B. Economics
C. Peace
D. Medicine

Answers: 1 (B), 2 (B), 3 (B), 4 (A), 5 (D), 6 (C), 7 (A), 8 (B), 9 (B), 10 (C), 11 (B), 12 (C), 13 (A), 14 (B), 15 (C)

63 Comments on 15 Questions, 10 Million Naira! Chimuanya ‘Aroma’ Ufodike slays ‘Who Wants To Be A Millionaire’
  • Jan September 14, 2009 at 9:52 am

This episode was the most exciting one I had ever watched on ‘Who wants to be a Milionaire’. There was something distinctive about Aroma Ufodike. Like I always tell my friends, if you want real education, travel around the world. That’s the best form of education and exposure a man can get

• anhanhhhhh September 14, 2009 at 9:54 am

bobo to BADDDDDDDDDDD gaaaaannnnnnn

• sweetie September 14, 2009 at 10:49 am

chei and i knew all the answers o!!!which kind thing be dis, i suppose go for this show, lol!! anyway congrats man u deserve your vacation in the carribbean big ups!!

• Sky September 14, 2009 at 11:48 am

Treach my man I’m proud of U

• Gbo Gbo Bigz Girls September 14, 2009 at 12:45 pm

WTF!?! These are some very simple questions. Kai!! that money could have been mine o. I better enter this game

• japhar September 14, 2009 at 1:51 pm

The day a man wakes up from sleep is his morning. Aroma, this is your good year. Enjoy every it.

• japhar September 14, 2009 at 1:57 pm

The day a man wakes up from sleep is his morning. This is your good year,enjoy it.

• yinka olaito September 14, 2009 at 1:58 pm

The guy deserves the money, I watched it life and also watched repeated episodes on sunday. You demonstarted your intellectual prowess. keep it up

• Delola Delani September 14, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Reminds me of the popular film “slum dog millionaire”. You are da BOMB!

• IBK September 14, 2009 at 2:33 pm

This is true talk, this guy is a GENIUS!!!

• TOMMY September 14, 2009 at 3:05 pm

This is great,it is now that i beleive that travelling is an institution on its own. this realy helped AROMA and in turn put “Aroma”into his life.AROMA you are a great man indeed.#10M! what an handsome money!

• someone sha September 14, 2009 at 4:12 pm

He’s related to that naija-internet famous wedding website couple Chioma & Akaolisa, he’s the grooms cousin.

• Simade September 14, 2009 at 4:24 pm

Totally right! I agree with you.

• nma September 14, 2009 at 4:48 pm

awesome. He’s Akolisa’s brother….. ie…the infamous “Chioma and Akolisa wedding website”.

• nma September 14, 2009 at 4:49 pm

awesome. He’s Akolisa’s brother….. ie…from the infamous “Chioma and Akolisa wedding website”.

• Tell It like it Is (http://myafricanmoviereviews.blogspot.com/) September 14, 2009 at 5:44 pm

I want to marry an UFODIKE. I think they must have some smart well on their compound. They not only cute but they are damn smart. Akolisa alone is certified accountant in UK, USA and CANADA. That family is blessed. I want to get in there.

• ganzboi September 14, 2009 at 6:00 pm

the dude was da bomb! a colleague here knows treach and indeed said he wasnt surprised.the guy is vast.
    saw the show on sunday and fell in love with his mien and persona straight.
    cool bloke,enjoy ur vac.

• jcsgrl September 14, 2009 at 6:17 pm

My dear, my sentiments exactly. These were some easy questions. I guess he lucked out. I’m proud of him shaa. And who said 10 million might not be a lot in Nigeria? Please which circle have you moving with? $63k? Do you know what I can do with that?

• chyko September 14, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Treach ……u have done everyone proud……..Enjoy ur winning…….

• funmsy September 14, 2009 at 8:25 pm

This guy is the bomb. Though those questions were simple bcos i was answering them as they were being shown on the tv.
    Well Congrats my man. Enjoy ur trip

• Nneka September 14, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Niceeeee. I guess he just earned a pass onto the next ”hottest’ bachelor in town’ list.

• tatafo! September 14, 2009 at 11:54 pm

more like famous…

• tatafo! September 14, 2009 at 11:56 pm

get in line AFTER me lol :p

• chinnydyke September 15, 2009 at 1:04 am

Treacho!!!we are indeed very proud of you,though not surprised cos we know the stuff you are made of.

• Rawlings September 15, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Although the guy tried, the truth is that those questions were the cheapest I have seen on the show.
    I answered 1-13 without even thinking twice.The only tricky question is question 13. All the others are a give away.
    Im happy for him sha.

• spektaculaz September 15, 2009 at 5:50 pm

me i don’t care whether the questions were easy or not, even my 12 year old daughter was able to answer up to the 13th question with exception of linus mba & clint eastwood questions….but i’ll still give it to AROMA, as he exhibited mien unmatched coupled with an analytical mind. i guess for those of you who are going on about how easy the questions were it’s a clear case of “badbellicks” so go take a jump! i’m happy for him

• joy September 15, 2009 at 6:01 pm

Aroma is well read and he just prove it, i dont think the questions where cheap,besides he has been topping the game online.Am happy for him.

• Kemchi September 15, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Well y’all better hurry up n find him ‘cos he’s d only one available, d rest of d crew r hooked!

• ugooo November 19, 2010 at 5:28 pm

no am not, but very ready.

• bc george September 16, 2009 at 9:52 am

9ice one.cha bruv..twas ur lucki day.

• meggy September 16, 2009 at 12:07 pm

Aroma never pay attention to wat the public are saying about the questions cos they were pretty hard right from the begining except for a few I apreciate ur effort so much wish my brain cud work fast as urs & 4 Frank 4 d 1st time he is on HOT SEAT think they shud pour on him some water. Good luck Aroma & pls conclude on getting married cos any reasonable woman want an intelligent for a husband.

• wienna September 16, 2009 at 8:07 pm

Hmmm…he’s quite good looking. I bet loads of marriage proposals are awaiting him now.

• Tell It like it Is September 16, 2009 at 10:46 pm

kiloday why is everybodys eyes on the poor mans money. Cheap questions or not, he is smarter than the average man. Dont talk about my Chimauanya like that. I am here in Atlanta with is unidentical twiin brother (He is also extremely very handsome, Very Gifted and extremely INTELLIGENT and VERY married :lol:) – Chidebelu. All we pray is now he finds some one who TRULY loves him for him and not cos of his fame or lil fortune he don get. It concerns me that now its going to be hard to find who truly loves him for him. I wish him so well. I told Chidi i’d like to meet him too, but i’d rather nature take its course, i wont force it at all – if its meant to be it’ll be. I told Chidi and laughed it off, “Chidi now you do realise, mothers are fasting your twin brother for their daughters”. Everyone wants a smart man. I DO. Aroma is a charming Ufodike warrior and very blessed as his home is.

• ogo September 16, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Unbelieveable!!! Congrats

• teewhy September 17, 2009 at 10:57 am

i must confess,the guy has done well. he shld thank GOD n his mum for bringin him into dis world,also his teachers n the person he called. Guys it wasn’t easy but i wish him all the best in life in a soulmate too

• A.A September 20, 2009 at 6:45 am

On the infamous chioma and ako wedding site there was another related cousin of the Ufodikes’ called Emeka Ozoka who lives in London(another bright head considering his credentials PLUS Single) –

To say that bobo is fine is an understatement – tall, dark handsome cute, muscles flowing left right center. I mean he “kiss my fingers” type cute. , Like the other person said, there must truly be some smart well in their compound in Anambra. Smart and Handsome. – Where in this day and age do you get such combo . I wonder if that Emeka Ozoka of a cute guy is married now, cos two years ago he wasnt. Treach you have made us very proud with your winnings and we wish you blessings from God.

• Sandy odinya September 21, 2009 at 1:38 am

Congrates guy its nt easy.U jst ned 2 sek Gods face 4 direction in al u do nw cos he neds u most nw u’ve gw fame.

• deeda September 24, 2009 at 8:11 pm

Interesting. I am so impressed with is finesse, his got the swagger. Who doesn’t want such a guy for a partner? I hope he is also God fearing. Good luck to him. I can’t reach him but I have his face as my screen saver for now, this single act generates a lot of talk…. LMAO

• youngnif September 26, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Congrats to him, but i think the questions were rather cheap all revolving around his field, like taking him up his street. A geographer who travels wide and being asked about the places he’d been to? Or about his neighbour? What do you expect? I think he just got lucky. i personally don’t see anything exceptional about his performance. The ‘difficult’ questions could easily be picked from the non-tricky options. As far as i’m concerned, he made 10 million on a platter of gold. lucky him.

• funke September 28, 2009 at 10:01 am

knowlegde that ranges from all parts, nice, one hardly comes across brilliance with a touch of finesse. i wud simply descrbe him as classy, cause that is wat he is to people who class really is

• Bolanle September 29, 2009 at 6:19 am

I watched the episode and could not help wtching the repeat on sunday! The guy is a goal getter. Other contestants are often content with less and walk awy. He stayed on aiming at the highest stake. That is very impressive and a NICE WHOLE in the pocket of MTN who have been raking in millions from NIgerians and paying back peanuts to contestants who “walk away” I pray for more “AROMAS”. Congrats Aroma and best wishes in your life ahead. Please take Emeka along on your trip even if he is “kill jot’ at least he was at your back wishng and praying in the Millions!!!!!!!!!!

• Bolanle September 29, 2009 at 6:25 am

I agree with you he is very good looking, but what is looks wthout brains!!!! that’s what should bring in the proposals!!!! cheers!!

• GOGO October 10, 2009 at 4:28 pm

come on, 10million naira doen’t really qualify as a whole in MTN’S vast pockets, i bet they spend more than that in powering a few of their numerous mast stations in a month. Moreover, their chief competitors dole out in hundreds of millions of naira more often than not.

• Mel October 18, 2009 at 3:16 am

took the quiz myself. did pretty good. i got 8 correct. if i was the one on the show i would have left with about 70 thousand naira. i hope that is alot of money in naija.. i’m from the east side of africa

• Onyx October 26, 2009 at 7:57 am

congrats, u really deserved it. just believe there is something unique about the Ufodike’s

• Jacob longpring November 13, 2009 at 3:16 pm

This is an incredible feat. Its sort of unbelievable until I searched the net to be sure it is true. This is real good man.
    Good job, you did with brains.
    But, get married pls.

• anna November 28, 2009 at 7:33 pm

true the Ufodikes rock ….but my eyes were on emeka one of the groomsmen on chioma and akolisa’ wedding …i heard his taken too:( guess i have to keep searching for an Ufodike..lol

• uche November 28, 2009 at 11:41 pm

wow congrats…….i need to get myself one of those ufodike boyz ..lol my eyes were on Emeka but he married this summer :( but i will keep searching lol

• Nnadozie Dike December 7, 2009 at 11:55 pm

hey chimuanya! It´s me dozie ur customer from diamond bank alaba. the guy from germany. truely i was just searching ur name through facebook b4 this artikle came up. guy i´m very happy 4 you. I nearly did not recognise you any longer. how time changes things, u´ve grown bears ! It´s realy amazing knowing u are still there and u real doing wonderfully well. i wish u can read this and please check me up at facebook. Nnadozie Dike. It will be fun talking 2 you ok. bye 4 now.

• Emeka February 22, 2010 at 4:46 am

Chimuanya UFO,
    You don enter.C all the comments u dey generate. Now the babes no go allow u rest again. U face, screen saver!!! Now I understand what they say about success having several fathers. Go guy, GO!!

Chiagha-UNN, Geo: 98 class.

• okpara solomon April 4, 2011 at 5:20 pm

spectators have better skilled than football players on the picth….those questions might look simple when watching ..u too try to come there and sit on the hot seat and see how it look like………..

• Beauty May 22, 2011 at 9:06 pm

I realy envy, hpe u read al dis abt u cos u deserve it.

• micheal tobiloba September 14, 2011 at 11:49 am

this guy is really gooooooooood, what is the look without no brain common guy i hail you oooo

• micheal tobiloba September 14, 2011 at 11:51 am

i know your brain must be waiting for a kind of cheap question like keeeeeep it up

• Yisa Abiola October 8, 2011 at 12:30 pm

u won d #10m coz is in u!

• tony November 21, 2011 at 1:23 pm

u ar bessed.dis is ur tym 2 shine.am happi 4 u.

• Buhari Abubakar Daniya July 22, 2012 at 5:30 am

You, sir have really teach us a lesson! I wish you all the best.Thanks

• patricia October 22, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Is opportunity, there are so many people who knos more than the man but did not qualify to be there. so, think it was a God doing.
    i really like the episode

• Kelecchi January 17, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Wonderful news. Its a game of luck meeting preparedness. The questions only look easy if you know it. If i were the one, question 1 would have knocked me off but if they had dared starting from question 15, i would have gotten to question 2. Aroma my dear, u did awesome! if for nothing else, for chopping MTN’s money even though they still rip us off enough

• CREAMY January 17, 2013 at 4:23 pm

For any one who cares he is now taken by ♍y friend and they have a very cute boy together.

• olayinka olamilekan March 14, 2013 at 6:27 pm

God that man try. the person that says the question is simple, he/she should go and try it maybe the person will win the money

• olayinka olamilekan March 14, 2013 at 6:29 pm

pls i just want to know what the man use the money to do?

• Harman Lohzing August 3, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Congrats Guy, infact, you deserved to be honoured for setting such a wonderful record. I doff my hat for you.