The blogs have been buzzing about Nollywood actress, Mercy Johnson‘s new hair cut for the past few days. Mercy shaved off all her hair for the second time since she began her career (the first was for her role in the movie – “Before the Light”), this time it was for her role in a yet to be titled new movie by Michael Jaja. In the movie, Mercy plays the role of a woman who is framed for the murder of her husband. The actress who shot the movie on location in Enugu posted the photos on social networking sites – Facebook & Twitter and it definitely stirred up a major reaction from her fans.

BN caught up with Mercy Johnson to find out her motivation for the new look and what she has planned for 2011.

Speaking through her publicist, Bigsam Media, Mercy Johnson said she is merely walking her talk at the beginning of the year -

After a strategy meeting with my management company, Platform Management and publicist, Bigsam Media, we set a goal for my career and that goal is for me to be more committed to my craft. Year 2010 was wonderful but we hope to move to greater heights in 2011 hence my decision with the agreement of my team to remain committed to my craft. I want to do more, break boundaries, move higher and contribute my quota to further put and entrench Nollywood, our industry on global map. That is my goal and that is why I will do whatever it takes to interpret my role and entertain the audience without debasing womanhood and African culture.

When asked about reports that the decision was financially motivated, Mercy said,

It is not about the money it is about my commitment to my craft. Yes, I was well paid but 2011 is about my going all the way, pushing myself to the fullness of my potential. Above all else, I am an actor before any other thing, so I am concentrating my energy on what I am than what I am not.

As per her plans for 2011, Mercy attests that she will be “living her life like its golden” especially because she will ill with malaria and hospitalized in December 2010. She will be heading to Liberia for a Valentine’s Day event. While in Monrovia, she hopes to meet her fans and also hopes to motivate Liberian youth by sharing her story.

Check out photos of Mercy’s “close shave” on the set of her new movie.

BN Bytes
Little nuggets of news specially whipped up by the BellaNaija Team.

70 Comments on BN Bytes: Mercy Johnson shares her Plans for 2011 – Her dramatic New Look, New Movies & Trip to Liberia
  • Sexxie January 26, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Now that’s an actress!!! Not my favourite Nollywood girl though but I wish her only d best in 2011!

• French Naira January 26, 2011 at 5:18 pm

First to comment lOL mERCI
    you too much!!!

• wow January 26, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Wish you the best Mercy!

• storm January 26, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Pls how much did she get paid to do this?

• 9ja gal January 27, 2011 at 11:34 pm

I heard from FB that she was paid 5 million naira. im like omo for that amount I’ll shave anything and everything. Kpata kpata..hair go grow in a year, while that kind money na forever growth oo

• dupe January 26, 2011 at 5:53 pm

pls hw much u collect 4 dis

• Teebaby January 26, 2011 at 5:53 pm

cutting your hair for a movie role now equals to professionalism and bad ass acting – abi? When there are bald wig, make up and other ways to create the illusion.

• Yets January 26, 2011 at 6:08 pm

lmao! true talk….

• D.O.T.M.H January 26, 2011 at 6:43 pm

LOL!!!! #GBAM

• 070 January 26, 2011 at 7:14 pm

lmao..true talk

• penelopeia January 27, 2011 at 10:15 am

Yes it does show professionalism and bad ass cutting… great actors have shave their hair for a roles…ask Natalie Portman when she starred in V for Vendetta,all her long hair was gone. Unless they are acting like aliens then the bald mask head will be put on them…Just saying

• Moni January 27, 2011 at 10:57 am

Good decision MJ.

• eve January 27, 2011 at 11:06 am

@teebaby or wat ever ur name is, go get a life. Bald wigs right? Mercy played a role that her hair needed to be shaved off and which better way do u expect it to turn out? Dey had to give us a step by step process which involves soaping the hair and a detailed clean cut shave. Dat u can’t achieve wth a bald wig. Pls if u dnt hv anything to say, go and read your books. I wonder who gave u – to internet. Mtschewwwwwww

• Ib January 27, 2011 at 1:06 pm

LOL…but u are right

• YellowJacket January 28, 2011 at 12:58 am

Wow @ your response…talk about unnecessary!
        All because you shave your hair doesn’t mean you’re a great actor, it could easily be an attention seeking move. Just the same, all because you don’t shave your hair doesn’t mean that you aren’t a great actor. And just like teebaby said, you can easily create the same illusion with a bald cap and makeup, and still have a better scene than a real life shaving. Mercy is an ok actress, she is definitly not the best, and neither has this story changed my opinion of her acting.

• chika January 29, 2011 at 9:06 pm

oh please mercy is a good person and it is unbelievable that she wud sacrifice her hair to take her life to the next level so give her a break

• Sexxie January 28, 2011 at 7:01 am

@ Teebaby, it’s really sad that at this time & age, u couldn’t avail urself the opportunity to use the internet properly. Does ‘Google’ ring a bell? So next time try & look up a topic b4 posting ur comment. If bald wigs and make up were d best illusion creating tools, then the HOLLYWOOD producers of these HOLLYWOOD actresses/movies didn’t think so. Toni Collette shaved her head for her role as Griselda / Sister Concordia in 8 ½ Women.
      Cate Blanchett shaved her head for her role as Philippa in Heaven.
      Mena Suvari shaved her head for her upcoming role as Catherine Bourne in The Garden Of Eden.
      Noémie Lenoir shaved her head for her role as Genevieve in Rush Hour 3.
      Robin Tunney shaved her head for her role as Debra in Empire Records.
      Bai Ling shaved her head for her role as Tuptim in Anna and the King.
      Demi Moore shaved her head for her as Lt. Jordan O’Neil role in G.I. Jane.
      Sigourney Weaver shaved her head for her role as Ellen Ripley in Alien³.
      Persis Khambatta went bald for her role as Lt. Ilia in Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
      Natalie Portman shaved her head for her role as Evey in V for Vendetta.Plus they get paid extra just for ‘shaving off their hair’ cos it’s a major major career move! Why not give a sister kudos & good wishes? Just asking! U r welcome!

• Ladyrocks February 20, 2011 at 1:44 am

it is her commitment to her craft…..lmao!

• Brittle Paper January 26, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Good marketing for the movie if your ask me.

• cheaster January 26, 2011 at 6:08 pm

That’s what sets nollyhood to its standards I would say, what abt her other upcoming roles? Is the mini fame worth the while? My opinion still remains that films should relate to the characters, illusion or makeup, the price of acting should not be rated by a singular act but by the content of the script,let the upcoming stars shine too, else someone wld act nude and be paid zillions one day!

• b January 26, 2011 at 6:10 pm

baby u really did it big and this is to the extreme

• valentyn blacksmith January 26, 2011 at 6:18 pm

i really dont know what to say but…..uv gat gusto hun

• marvel January 26, 2011 at 6:49 pm

cant say i dig the prisoner of war look but hey, if she’s happy….

• YeahIsaidit January 26, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I love mercy – She is in my top 5 list of best actress. Very determined and very focus and serious actress. I knew it from her first movie that she will be excellent – even as a new actress in her first movie “THE MAID” years ao she did excellent – the sky is the limit for this girl. I dont know anything bout this movie but i can imagine it willbe an award winning performance (and as for tears – no one does it better). she never disappoints. And the one thing i love about her – she is very humble as i heard – when she and Ms Patience Okereke had a disagreement she actually kneeled down and apologized to her (whether or not she was in the wrong) now thats a well brought up girl. I also like her cos she seems to keep to her self in nollywood – unlike the No Talent ashy knees pout lips kind who cant act a lick yet want to be on redcarpet like they matter. I wish Mercy the best of luck. I just wish she will get a designer to dress her well for red carpet events. She has the best body in nollywood (bar none) but am afraid to see her whenever she attends awards. With this Kim Kardashian type body of hers, she will knock all the other redcarpet b**** down if she could dress better. Well Ini stepped up her game after her aba made technicolor clothes so i have hope for mercy sha.!

• YeahIsaidit January 26, 2011 at 6:58 pm

I mean to say in my above statement actress Patience Ozorkwor (doh what is Patience Okereke) – opps – just a typo

• myne Whitman January 26, 2011 at 7:10 pm

not her best look, but she’s among the better actors still in Nollywood.

• Monsieur Dupont January 28, 2011 at 10:06 am

Cant agree less. she is one of my top five

• Aibee January 26, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Hmmm. Well I hear in Hollywood they train, build muscle, add weight, loose weight, learn accents and even meet with the real characters they should be playing. If Miss J decides to shave her head all well and good. However, that head without hair is …(sighs and shakes head).

• dlapikin January 26, 2011 at 7:49 pm

she just need to drop that fork from time to time cus her weight is getting out of control…With her current frame she can hardly play young girl anymore despite her young age:Losing a bit will definitely help her.

• Fairy Godsister January 26, 2011 at 8:25 pm

ok o….. I didn’t say anything to this!

• Ready January 26, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Except that you’re not. Try again though. :-D

• Ready January 26, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Now I look crazy….this was supposed to be a response to the girl screaming first. I don’t know why people still do that.
      And I hope Mercy Johnson stops taking one dimensional roles; if I see her crying in yet another movie…

• Uzo January 26, 2011 at 10:21 pm

From what I gather – she plays an Igbo woman whose husband dies. In some parts of Igbo land, it is traditional for widows to shave their heads. So in that regard, she went the whole way. And the shaving of the head is not done by fancy clippers in these areas. It is a ritual in itself with select women from the husband’s family and the community shaving the widow’s head with crude implements sometimes causing head injuries. So it’s not a random act for the heck of it.

• MiaJadore January 26, 2011 at 10:38 pm

That God for makeup and weave. Absolutely scary, that’s all I have to say.

• Chamcham January 26, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Shaving head now = better acting abi?? Even if u shave hair from thy kingdom come it doesnt change ur acting. Ill pass. Pls dont circulate pics like this and frighten young children.

• Sia January 27, 2011 at 12:26 am

Very professional. I applaud Mercy J for doing something many women will never do.

• mary007 January 27, 2011 at 12:31 am

I actually rate this chick after Genny in acting skills amongst nollywood actresses, so if she feels shaving her head would help her interprete the role why not! I do like her

• **side eye** January 27, 2011 at 12:42 am

it is done even in hollywood….go see splice….sometimes those things bulge and bulk up so a bald wig is not always the best option. if the actor is ready to chop off, better.yes it shows professionalism. learn to appreciate.

Teebaby

• aunty tawa January 27, 2011 at 2:09 am

i commend her , that’s a brave move.

• Dj_grassroot January 27, 2011 at 4:43 am

Haha,mercy has garri on her head…lol

• voicy January 27, 2011 at 8:49 am

nice1 mercy johnson,u might not have been rated the best yet,but i like the fact of u going all the way,she is good in her own style,just stop all the body bearing way of dressing,save for that u make loads of sense to nollywood!!!!

• fokasibe January 27, 2011 at 9:24 am

EGAD!!!

• oma January 27, 2011 at 9:31 am

If our actors and actresses want to meet international standards,they need to learn to go the extra mile.Kudos girlfriend! http://lifethroughomaseyes.blogspot.com

• Rachael Nsofor January 27, 2011 at 11:06 am

Mercy is the one to beat this year. She is the front runner in Nollywood. Her acting is First Class all the way. Not to mention those curves. I love her and she just continues to raise the bar.

• Bisi January 27, 2011 at 12:02 pm

It has been said over and over again that MJ is the best Nigerian actress and thank God she has now been signed on a management company that can help improve her celebrity status

• yemisi January 27, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Oh, when wil her hair regrow?

• chynneka January 27, 2011 at 12:51 pm

hehehe, abeg when will d hair grow back?

• abakuma January 27, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Go Mercy,go,go,go my Mercy.

love aba.

• YeahIsaidit January 27, 2011 at 3:04 pm

As crazy as is sounds my favourite movie of her is “KEziah” from 2 yrs ago. I laughed so hard. She is not only a good actress she is a real comediennne. See White Hunters too – very razz movie but funny as hell

• chiamaka January 27, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Lol…bt she is trying hard,big dreams for 2011,I must say.but d person who talked abt d bald wig n make up hit d nail on d head!

• butterfly January 27, 2011 at 4:49 pm

good luck with ur goals mercy, Godspeed!

• naomi January 27, 2011 at 4:55 pm

I don’t see what the big deal is about cutting hair o that it leads the headlines. Anyway, Mercy is a nice girl with a fantastic grass-to-grace story that makes you always root for her. And that knockout figure! I only wish a stylist will help her sort the wardrobe issues. Why not take that on Bellanaija?

• iBreatheFreedom January 27, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Do BALD WIGS ring any bell? Totally unnecessary and a huge publicity stunt on Mercy Johnson’s part. In her defense, it takes a great deal of courage and I guess passion to pull this kind of stunt. GENEVIEVE AND CO pls come and see someone who takes acting seriously and doesn’t just use it as a means to fame/fake wannabe celebrity lifestyles.

• jummie January 28, 2011 at 1:36 am

What part of the country did she come from, some tradition does not allow an unmarried lady to shave her hair. that’s huge……..The naira must be worth it.RIDE ON MJ!!!!!!!!!

• chika January 29, 2011 at 9:16 pm

jummie at least the girl has got guts please leave the girl alone if u do not have any thing to say that is good about her then just bug off have some respect for the girl she has guts i would not be ashamed to say that if it was me i would not shave my hair so please sign off this web page if u cannot encourage the girl as if the woman is the only person in this world who has ever done anything like that b4

• lovely January 28, 2011 at 10:46 am

mercy is my girl,anytime, she is d best now followed by genevieve and omotola

• Nonye January 28, 2011 at 1:39 pm

the girl made a brave move, simple! all these bald wig long talk isnt called for na! yes she does need a stylist and so do most of us who have commented here! Nansensse!

• Changing Faces January 30, 2011 at 10:41 am

Naija and bad belle, na wa! D hair was hers to shave so all u bald wig fashionistas who don’t even bother with “local” naija movies, pls take a chill pill…. N I totally agree she is one of the best. Go and watch “the Maid”

• ruby February 1, 2011 at 6:23 am

She is amazing…always rooting for her and her movies..only say naija bad press no go leave her…mehn she got the sexiest body in nollywood..(no homo)

• joseph christopher February 1, 2011 at 5:26 pm

my people, Money na order oooooooooooooooo

• Momodu Osazee February 3, 2011 at 10:46 pm

God almight has been your strenght and he will always be..shaving your hair totally as an actress is really tough but that shows the true passion of you been an actress,and i also wish you the best this year and always..God bless you.

• Esther February 9, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Mercy you are a good actress.

• uju February 17, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Professionalism my foot!she can go nude too for a nude scene and get dirty in a s*x scence.totally unnecessary in my opinion. Still dosent put her on my top five list.daoooooooo

• **side eye** February 19, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Wow!!!! the prize money for your top five must be huge ooh!!! LMAO

• cathy February 25, 2011 at 3:31 pm

correct babe dats y i luv her. daring! d word 4 her new luk

• euny March 18, 2011 at 4:06 pm

baby you are for real. keep doing a great job

• euny March 18, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I love you mercy

• Tyna May 12, 2011 at 9:27 am

Wow is dis real……….. she is really talented

• chiamaka May 28, 2011 at 3:11 pm