BN Do It Yourself: Make Your Version of Toke Makinwa’s Statement Neckpiece

Posted on Thursday, December 6th, 2012 at 6:12 PM

By Nne 'Onnari' Osemene

Here’s a 5 – step process on how to score Toke Makinwa’s look, although her’s seems like a brooch and attached to her top, our DIY version is going to be a fringe pendant which could be worn with different chains and necklaces.

What you’ll need:

1. Jump rings (you can get this at a jewelry shop)
2. A pair of scissors.
3. Glitter bead and chain. (you can also get this at a jewelry shop)
4. Tape measure.
5. Fringe (you can get it at a tailoring supplies shop)

How to:

1. Measure out your desired length. I used seven and a half inches i.e fifteen inches in a long strip.
2. Tie up the ‘bunch’ at the mid section.
3. Close the top by making a knot with some thread or left over fringe.
4.  Insert your bead and chain.
5. Put it on.

Note: You can also make use of a tassel in place of the fringe.

..and you’re ready to rock your celeb inspired look!

Nne ‘Onnari’ Osemene is a fashion and lifestyle DIY blogger on weeknights and weekends. She is an unpublished poet/fiction writer who studied business Administration at the University of Lagos. She is an independent fashion/accessories designer who loves designing while listening to ‘mood’ music…or otherwise! She is obsessed with Greek and Roman mythology. You can contact her via email: nneosemene@gmail.com or visit her blog: www.thatssewnaija.blogspot.com

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 22 Comments on “BN Do It Yourself: Make Your Version of Toke Makinwa’s Statement Neckpiece”

Comments
    • Jasmine December 6, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Doesn’t look like sometin I’ll want to av on. Not cute enof.

• lesca December 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Fringe! That’s really a statement neckpiece! I’m lovin it, hmm, think I’l make mine in neon. Thanx!

• chizor December 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Yay! It’s a regular feature on BN!

• Miss K December 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Love the creativity, keep it coming!

• barbz December 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM

celeb look???? mtcheeewwwwwwwwwwww.. it luks tacky 2 me

• M December 6, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I like this feature even though I don’t like this piece

• whyevils December 6, 2012 at 10:26 PM

yesterday toke, today toke. tomorrow Toke. What has this girl done to warrant such non-stop coverage? This is becoming like the daily mail and kimmy k. You know who I would like to see more of? M’cheddah. chick hasn’t realeased anything in a while but she has STYLE and looks hot…..something Miss M is lacking IMO.

• JemStone December 7, 2012 at 5:37 AM

I really love this column! keep creative ideas coming

• Olufunmi December 7, 2012 at 6:25 AM

i’ll like to do it if i like it :/

• Ada December 7, 2012 at 7:02 AM

You guys just need to quit it. Toke works hard. Instead of you to work hard and get your shy together so that you too will be appreciated, you sit behind your computer and just hate. It is enough already. The hate on this girl ehn, if all u be God, we all in trouble. Pshhhhhhhhhh IMO

• RIP Enebeli December 7, 2012 at 7:46 AM

I strongly agree with you…Mocheddah is a trend setter,she always got it,will luv to see her kind of celeb look,or Eku ,not some random wannabe by force..peace!

• tribalwest December 7, 2012 at 9:06 AM

People people, focus on the DIY leave toke alone, its about her neckpiece not her!
      Gosh, this babe is tryiyin abeg,how many nigerian’s post DIY anything, Good job girl
      Keep em coming. Hater’s gonna hate. LIFE!

• joe December 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM

but toke is not a bad dresser too now, she is cool and she needs this publicity abeg, make una free her….. but that there show hnmmm not something i want to see on my TV, its boring, not educative and una too dey try hard, be yourself thats what i preach and every other thing will fall in place.but really i concur on MO, she alwaz get it right.

• iffy December 7, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Hey people there’s no need to bitch at anyone if you don’t like it someone else does,plus you have the liberty not too open the page at all if doing so would upset you. Well done bellanaija keep the creativity coming

• of course December 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

what the hell is this?

• Ada December 7, 2012 at 11:55 AM

How is she trying to hard? Gosh the more you hate Toke you even make people like me inquisitive. Bella I think it is personal. People should not come here with personal beef Abeg u don’t like her it is okay, as someone said some of us do. Plus like she even cares. If she is a wannabe she wouldn’t be where she is. You too do and BE. RME

• Ada December 7, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Meanwhile I am trying to make this neck piece right now, wish me luck xoxo

• nne onnari osemene December 7, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Thanx for ur comments :-) although I’d like to point out that Ms Toke isn’t even aware of this post so isn’t a publicity stunt. Her neckpiece happened to inspire this DIY so would other celebs and other subjects or trends. Luv u for clicking and commenting!

• Omo Gbelepawo December 7, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Seriously? this is a statement piece?? Just looks cheap, I’ll pass…

• asampete December 7, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I don’t quite agree, Natalie portman actually wore a fringe earring to the oscars once. Hers were plum I think

• Yvette December 8, 2012 at 3:04 PM

This is lovely. I’ll wear it anytime. Need to make me one ;)

• fantasia December 10, 2012 at 3:56 PM

This is really cool. N d writer is awesome creative! Visited her blog and spreading word. Really cool DIY tutorials and a beautiful way of writing on her blog.