BN Beauty Nest with Ameera: Let Your Skin Glow for the Season

It’s the festive season and looking good and feeling good! I have compiled a list of fun facial tips and tricks – that won’t break the bank – to leave you with clear, healthy, glowing skin from the comfort of your home.

Step 1 -

Every facial should start with clean skin so it is important to use a cleanser suitable for your skin type. Invest in a good cleanser and do not use soap or shower gel as a face wash.

Why is soap so bad? Our skin’s ph balance is more acidic while soap is more alkaline. It breaks down our natural lipid barrier and ultimately dries out the skin leaving you with a “tight” feeling.

My top 5 cleansers are:

• Khiels Ultra Facial Cleanser for Normal skin
  • Origins Checks and Balances for Combination skin
  • Dermalogica Essential Cleansing Solution for dry skin
  • Neutrogena Visibly Clear Pink Grapefruit for oily/acne skin
  • Clarins One Step Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser for all skin types

A natural alternative is the lemon facial cleanser. It is easy to make, and delightful to use. It doesn’t lather though but it gives a deep clean and it is suitable for all skin types.

What you need:
1 tablespoon natural yogurt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 drops essential lemon oil

Mix all the ingredients together and apply to the face and neck with a cotton pad in a circular motion. A double cleanse effectively takes off oils, dirt and make up. It leaves you feeling refreshed and uplifted with the lovely lemon scent.

Step 2 -

To get healthy glowing skin it is imperative to exfoliate. Dead skin cells leave your skin looking dull and feeling very pasty. I would advise you exfoliate once or twice a week. Slough off dead skin cells to reveal new skin with these top 3 exfoliators:

• Origins Modern Friction for Normal/Combination skin
  • St.Ives Apricot Scrub for all skin types
  • Neutrogena Visibly Even Skin Polishing Enzyme Treatment for Acne prone skin

The best at-home exfoliator is easy to use and all you need is some water and some baking soda and voila you’re as smooth as a baby’s bottom!

Moisten your face with water, apply the mixture (it should be of a paste like consistency) around your face avoiding the eye area in circular motions and rinse off with warm water.

TOP TIPS: a teaspoon of baking soda can be added to your cleanser for a deeper clean and gentle exfoliation

The water and baking soda paste serves as a great mask for acne prone skin!

Step 3 -

Always apply a face mask after you exfoliate as this will restore your skins lost nutrients and will also help heal or repair existing concerns as well as refreshing your skin. Masks are a great way of feeding your skin with nutrients on the outside and toning your skin.

I enjoy using home made masks because of their freshness and high nutrient content. Below are a few recipes that I’ve tried and tested, I’m sure you’ll love them too!

Moisture Mask

What you need:
1 teaspoon Honey
1 whole Avocado
1 teaspoon Flax seed oil (optional)

Mash the avocado and mix with the honey and flax seed oil. Apply on face avoiding eye area. Leave on for 15-20 minutes and rinse with warm water.

Honey Avocado Mask

Brightening Mask

What you need:
1/2 cup Unripe Papaya
1 teaspoon Plain yogurt
1 teaspoon Honey

Blend all ingredients together and apply on face avoiding eye area. Leave on for 8-10 minutes. This mask tends to have a tingling sensation so don’t panic if you feel it. If your skin is sensitive you can use ripe papaya instead, however this contains less papain – the active brightening agent. Rinse off with cool water.

Clarifying Mask

What you need:
1 tablespoon Rose Water
1 tablespoon Sandalwood powder
1 tablespoon Turmeric

Mix into a paste and apply on face avoiding eye area. Leave on for 15 minutes then rinse off with cool water.

Step 4 -

All good facials end with the application of a suitable moisturizer. It is important to keep the skin moist and supple to prevent premature aging. Even oily skin needs to be moisturized.

My top 5 moisturizers are:

• Dr Murad Skin Perfecting Lotion for Oily/Acne skin
  • Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion for Dry skin
  • Estee Lauder DayWear with SPF15 creme for Normal skin
  • REN T-zone Balancing Day Fluid for Combination Skin
  • Philosophy “Hope in a jar” moisturizer for All skin types

TOP TIP: Always wear sunscreen on your face and body regardless of the season to protect yourself from harmful UV rays. A teaspoon amount should be applied over the face and reapplied throughout the day. For the body, the equivalent of a shot glass should be applied. I would recommend an SPF of at least 20.
Ameera Abraham is the Creative Director at The Nail Bar, a luxury nail spa and wellness centre located in Abuja. She’s a qualified aesthetician and is passionate about all things beauty!

16 Comments on BN Beauty Nest with Ameera: Let Your Skin Glow for the Season
  • Lulu December 13, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Good Info “n” very practical

• nneka December 13, 2012 at 4:33 pm

thanks a lot. i have got a very oily face so i’ll try the natural method and see how it helps my skin.

• rachel December 13, 2012 at 9:58 pm

pls where can i get the demertologica essential product in London. I would really appreciat this

• Ameera December 14, 2012 at 12:50 am

Dermalogica have concessions in selfridges, Westfield and there may be beauty salons in your area that also stock Dermalogica.

• Tai December 14, 2012 at 9:13 am

But the Neutrogena – Visibly Even Skin Polishing Enzyme Treatment has been discontinued though

• Azumi December 14, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Very interesting write up and more interesting is the fact that the tips are user friendly.

• Udy December 16, 2012 at 7:48 am

Hi Ameera, thank you very much for this tip. For the face mask, can i use coconut oil? Cuz i live in a rural urban area and wil nt be able to flaxseed oil.
    I just discovered sugar srcub and it amazing for my skin, but will try the baking soda version. I also started using Clean and Clear Cleanser, St Ives skin renewing collagen and elastin lotion with St Ives Hydrating Vitamin E as moisturizer for 2 wks nw and the result is mind blowing, looking @ my skin 2wks ago. Thanks Bella Naija and season greatings to all the readers home and abroad.

• Udy December 16, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Sorry for misspelling i meant will not be able *TO* and *SEASON GREETINGS*.

• Ameera December 18, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Hi Udy, you may use coconut oil but remember you can make the mask with just honey and avocado as they are both great humectants and will still give you adequate moisture.
      The sugar scrub is also fantastic as it removes dead skin cells and excess oils which explains your healthy glow!

• ify December 18, 2012 at 10:49 am

Thanks for the tips. Please where can i get this products in Lagos. For the daily routine, would cleansing and moisturizing the face be ok, Since you advised that we exfoliate once or twice a week.

• Ameera December 18, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Hi Ify, yes your daily routine should involve cleansing and moisturising both in the morning and in the evening. I would also recommend you use sun protection of at least spf20 during the day to protect you from harmful UV rays. Priscilla’s Pride stocks Dermalogica, they are located in Dolphin estate, Ikoyi. I suggest you try Montaigne Place for Clarins and Dr.Murad. All the best x

• tosin January 15, 2013 at 2:48 pm

hello Ameera, i started using QEI+ carrot lotion and the soap recently. its nice on my skin, but realised acne n rashes cdoming out on my face, thereby making my rough. could u plz recommend remedy for my facial treatment, ve got slightly oily face. am light in complexion.

• Ameera January 19, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Hi Tosin, I am sorry to hear about your break out. I cannot give you an exact prescription because I haven’t analysed your skin in person. However, I would recommend that you stop using the products in the mean time and treat your acne. Try Neutrogena’s Pink Grapefruit daily scrub and Pink Grapefruit oil free moisturiser. If you have odd spots on your face you can apply directly on the spot Freederm spot gel – it can dry up your spots in as little as 24 hours! Dermalogica’s Medibac range for adult acne is another range i would highly recommend. Do let me know how it goes. All the best x

• adesola March 1, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Just got ds tips. Really appreciate it.. For d home made, can it b done in large quantities n b stored or it should b made fresh?

• Peace March 8, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Hi Ameera, I am in Ibadan, please where can i get the cream and cleanser you mention in Ibadan. Thanks

• tolu October 19, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Hi ameera, pls home made facial treatment complicate d issues on my face. I have a dry skin and am using goat milk soap buh I don’t knw d cream or oil to use on ma face. Cos I ve a rough face n sunburn on ma face and around my eyes.pls can u prescribe wot I can use. Thanks