Celebrity Baby Bumps Nigeria - January 2013 - BellaNaija014Just a few days ago, a friend who had just arrived in the US to give birth to her baby visited and was lamenting about what someone “did to her“. Naturally, I was curious. So here is the story…she is pregnant with her first child and recently celebrated her baby shower before she left Nigeria. After her baby shower, a few friends put up the photos which showed her baby bump as their BlackBerry display photo and she was really upset. Basically, she was boiling mad!

In her own words, “we don’t display baby bump in Africa until after the baby is born“. When probed for an explanation, she could not come up with anything. Another friend  mentioned that she leaves the country once her bump starts showing and only returns after the baby is born. I asked one of my aunts and unsurprisingly, she like “No O! Better tell your friends not to put it on the Facebook, evil people are watching even on the internet“. I sought a male opinion and my married friend told me (though I think he is wrong), “most African men do not find baby bumps sexy unlike men in other countries…especially with our first child, my wife was so ill and uncomfortable that we did not make love for months…talk less of to start snapping pictures

International celebrities tend to be more open with their pregnancies. For example, despite previously going through a miscarriage, Amber Rose has pretty much tweeted photos of her baby bump everyday. Just yesterday, Shakira uploaded official photos of her, her bump and her Spanish footballer beau Gerard Piqué. On the other hand, majority of Nigerian celebrities keep out of the public space while pregnant. Actress Ufuoma Ejenobor released photos a few months after her baby was born. The major exception is Mercy Johnson who publicly confirmed her pregnancy before the 12 week mark and then continued taking on acting roles while in the later stages of her pregnancy while in South Africa, most of the photos of media personality Nonhle Thema‘s baby bump were released very late in her pregnancy.

My opinion, baby bumps are beautiful, even sexy, why not flaunt it! Check out celeb baby pumps for inspiration!

So what are your thoughts on this?

Shakira
Celebrity Baby Bumps Nigeria - January 2013 - BellaNaija006Celebrity Baby Bumps Nigeria - January 2013 - BellaNaija005

Amber Rose
Celebrity Baby Bumps Nigeria - January 2013 - BellaNaija015Celebrity Baby Bumps Nigeria - January 2013 - BellaNaija002

Adaeze Yobo
Celebrity Baby Bumps Nigeria - January 2013 - BellaNaija004

Beyonce
Celebrity Baby Bumps Nigeria - January 2013 - BellaNaija007Celebrity Baby Bumps Nigeria - January 2013 - BellaNaija008

Nonhle
Celebrity Baby Bumps Nigeria - January 2013 - BellaNaija013Nonhle Star

Mercy Johnson
Celebrity Baby Bumps Nigeria - January 2013 - BellaNaija011Celebrity Baby Bumps Nigeria - January 2013 - BellaNaija010

Stephanie Kalu-Uche

Photo Credit: BellaNaija.com | TMZ | Twitter | XXL | Facebook | Reze Bonna | Jaume de Laiguana

51 Comments on “Displaying Your Baby Bump…Not in Africa?!” Check Out Celeb Baby Bumps from Mercy Johnson & Shakira to Ufuoma Ejenobor & Beyonce
  • Ginika January 17, 2013 at 8:49 am

Awww… the wonders of God. How amazing it is knowing that life is growing inside of you. Shows that we women with the right kind of love, bring life and I mean this in all ‘philosphical sense’.

• Sally January 17, 2013 at 8:58 am

I Love what you said hun, we rock.

• xoxo January 17, 2013 at 9:02 am

Superstitions will not let us enjoy life in Africa. So babalawo’s, witches and wizards can now jazz their victims through facebook? .na wa o!

• shaday January 17, 2013 at 9:36 am

Lmao. The babalawos, witches and wizards u speak of had their own ‘facebook’ before zuckerberg’s facebook came in.

• Aarinola January 17, 2013 at 11:07 am

HAHHAHAHAHAA!!! Flesh and blood didn’t reveal that to you hunnie!! They had their own facebook!! EVERY EVIL MIRROW SHOWING MY FACE BREAK TO PIECES BREAK TO PIECES BREAK TO PIECES BREAK TO PIECES BREAK TO PIECES BREAK TO PIECES BREAK TO PIECES BREAK TO PIECES EVERY EVIL CALABASH SHOWING MY FACE BREAK TO PIECES BREAK TO PIECES BREAK TO PIECES BREAK TO PIECES BREAK TO PIECES BREAK TO PIECES BREAK TO PIECES BREAK TO PIECES in Jesus name. AMEN

• sallysueee January 17, 2013 at 9:17 am

hahahahahahhaha @ xoxo comment LOL say that again

• Teefah January 17, 2013 at 9:17 am

Africans are way too superstitious
    That’s why they don’t prescribe to the baby bump exhibition idea
    God forbid something bad happens at any stage of pregnancy we are convinced it is one aunty’s brother’s sister that jazzed her via twitter.

• Bey January 17, 2013 at 9:23 am

All the women Looks Gud with their BaBy bumps..Most especially Adaeze yobo and Amber Rose

• loo January 17, 2013 at 9:31 am

I don’t know care what anybody thinks o but me omo naija will definitely take pictures of my baby bump frm week one to week 36 and display the picture wn my baby is born. by the way the pictures are lovely.
    someone even told me one time like that, that pregnant women should not walk about in the night that the spirit blablablabla all those rubbish
    But in Nigeria when people are pregnant they tend to hide it because of the mindset of the wicked supernatural world which we have been made to believe is real

• Priscy January 17, 2013 at 9:43 am

wow…beautiful pics

• Inebaby January 17, 2013 at 9:46 am

They are all looking lovely, hmmmm! I don’t see anything wrong with displaying your baby bump!

• wowww! January 17, 2013 at 9:57 am

Where is mercy Johnson naked baby bump?

• Tosin January 17, 2013 at 10:18 am

Happy for these people. I don’t want a bump sha, I would outsource the job if I could.
    Love the way Shakira’s fine boy is possessing his possession sha :)

• Defferin Jazie January 17, 2013 at 11:15 am

God bless you!
      i had begun to think that i was a loonie!

• amarachi January 17, 2013 at 10:21 am

The wrk of God

• Retrochic January 17, 2013 at 10:28 am

what that tosin girl said

• iamfascinating January 17, 2013 at 10:37 am

to each his own, nice pics though.

• YummyMummy January 17, 2013 at 11:13 am

I personally don’t agree with showing off to the world your bumps in nude when you are pregnant,even majority of the white people we are copying dont like it.

Let’s ask our selves these questions;Why do we see the need to take a nude picture and post to the whole world to see? don’t get me wrong,you could take your nude pix and send to your husband or may be friends… but to the world?

Please let us come off been vain,Vanity is another way of idolising our selves.What I am saying might not be what people like;But as an individual I choose to have a standard so I don’t fall to anything.

This is my opinion.I am a Young mum between and Yummy as well.

• Jtyzmotivator January 17, 2013 at 6:00 pm

I agree with you dear. As much as it is very unreasonable and immoral to share one’s nude picture so it is also wrong for a baby bump. A woman’s body is suppose to be God’s temple and a special place for her and her husband. Africans need to stop following the wrong crowd, especially Nigerians. Copy-kata makes no sense! It will only make you sin to God more…

• e-bukun January 18, 2013 at 5:43 am

hmm please let’s hear word. What wrong crowd now? It is because technology hit Africa last that people can say all sorts. If we had discovered the internet first, the kain things we’d display ehn….psssh

• omada January 19, 2013 at 11:41 pm

maybe i’m on the wrong page, but which of the pictures above is a nude picture? taking a picture of your belly is = taking a nude pic? please have 10 seats with your sanctimonious self. \__ \__ \__ \__ \__ \__ \__ \__ \__ \__

• FBI August 15, 2013 at 9:30 pm

oya unplug your internet and “not follow wrong crowd na” continue to live in darkness hahahahaha showing bump is personal, if u dont gerrit, you dont gerrit shikena!

• Omuwa January 17, 2013 at 11:13 am

I don’t think this is such a big deal. I also do not think its worth the debate. Its up to the woman to display her bump or not. Its really really up to her.

Personally I wont even display my flat tummy on a good day and then you expect me to display a bump??? Ha! My very precious and private belle…no way. Nicely airbrushed bumps up there though. Finally, i wish to salute Nonhle for that picture…such courage.

• YummyMummy January 17, 2013 at 11:33 am

I know my comment will not be moderated,why? because I am not joining the crowd.Thanks.

• Ennie January 17, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Haha! Please don’t flatter yourself.

• i no send January 17, 2013 at 11:39 am

Nonhle(the south african girl )own is …….i comment my reserve

• Omolola January 17, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Most of the other bumps were most def brushed up with makeup.

• pade January 17, 2013 at 12:00 pm

I am currently expecting and i think for memory sake keep pictures, pregnancy is a strange,stressful but wonderful and beautiful feeling.
    Tosin im sure you re joking about contracting that part of motherhood out cos i tell you, you would be missing.
    I pray every woman will be given the opportunity to taste this wonderful feeling SHIKENA.

• Person pikin January 17, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Is it only dark skinned women that have that vertical line that runs down the bump? (I dont know the medical term so dont chew me) Or do they photo shop it out?

• Omolola January 17, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Not only Africans, whites do have it too buh the darker your skin, the darker the lines that is why black people linea nigra is more obvious.

• chinny January 17, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Africans are just too supersticious, i see nothing wrong with exhibiting baby bump, is so beautiful.

• nich January 17, 2013 at 2:41 pm

baby bump or whatever they call it…………africans can copy but they would not have the same fate as those in the western world…………………..if you are a celebrity …..then it is fine cos that i think looks like a celebrity culture all over the world………and with the growing nigeria celebrity culture growing nothing comes as a surprise…………………..

but africans should know that where they are from …spiritual evil is also part of the culture…….most people who will do that may be attacked spiritually and they may loose their lives along the line

• G-Lady January 17, 2013 at 2:49 pm

DADDY GOD, Thank you for your good work. it can only be you, because thousand are looking for these miracle……….. i mean alot… But those u have bless , belssed be ur holy name , Amen

• Deee January 17, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Actually i also would not mind outsourcing it and its not about keeping my shape or whatever (who dash me shape..lol). I guess contrary to popular opinion, not all women have the urge to have a bump.

• It's me January 17, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Please how old are you? sounds like a teenager

• onestepatatime January 18, 2013 at 2:10 pm

@It’s me

Why can’t you just respect her opinion? So many women die due to pregnancy complications. Others go through so much labor pain. Others have to have their birth canal cut wider because the baby is too big. Pregnancy is not a joke and it is a serious risk. Not every woman wants to go through that especially if you have lost a loved one who died of pregnancy complications.
        This collectivist culture we have in Africa sadly hinders us from realizing that not all people reason the same way as we do or see things from our point of view. Let’s just respect each other’s opinions and keep it moving. Shikena!

• Naveah January 17, 2013 at 5:24 pm

This is a matter of to each his own. The journey of pregnancy is a private and wonderous one. Oyinbo no get jazz, their own version of jazz is worrying about a person sending bad energy their way via thoughts and dees. We African know better than that so if a person decides not to post their baby bumps because they believe that someone can use juju to cause them to miscarry etc I believe that they are well within their rights. Even the bible clearly states “for we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” As long as Good exist, evil will exist right along side it. Light vs Dark will always be the bane of human existence until the end of time so for those who think it’s nonsense to believe that juju exists and can be used effectively to cause ill, well go ahead with those thoughts but don’t judge those who want to protect what is precious to them. Should people be walking around declaring evil around every corner, no but should one be aware and cautious, of course!

Personally, I kept my bump private and only shared my pictures with my immediate family – husband, parents and in-laws. Any pictures of my children shared on the internet via FB is only open to family and select friends.

• FBI August 15, 2013 at 9:37 pm

how come its only bump that you have to hide from witches and wizards ehn? when you born nko? if they missed your bump would killing your baby (God forbid) be so hard for them to do? my point is, hiding bump or no hiding bump, evil is everywhere and will not come to you cos you took a picture of the very beautiful gift growing inside of you.

• ty January 17, 2013 at 5:41 pm

pregnant and i love fluncting my baby bump ( i wont wear overly flowing gowns cos am pregnant) but i dont find it funny wen pple gasps… like u shld have had this baby already… arrrghhh… make bad belle pple no allow baby come b4 it’s time…our mind is soo twisted in d wrong direction in Africa…

• R January 17, 2013 at 7:34 pm

My concern about sharing someone else’s baby bump as your bbm dp, is more privacy related than superstitious. I can easily see how someone displaying a pic of my baby bump would be an invasion of my privacy/ preference

• Reuel January 17, 2013 at 7:52 pm

The whole world does not need to know i’m pregnant. I send pics and all to my friends and it is only for thier eyes! its as simple as that the way i want it. Thats my tummy and it not for every tom dick and harry.. So you are right it is more abour privacy.

• Ore January 17, 2013 at 7:38 pm

It’s funny how we Africans, especially Nigerians quickly deny the existence of the evil side of the supernatural aka “juju” just because of a little so-called “exposure,” when we all practically grew up with some sense of it either through direct contact or indirect contact.

Showing your baby bump is a beautiful thing however, do not be ignorant or feign ignorance about some of the consequences that might arise from it. Babalawo’s might not have facebook accounts (emphasis on might) but the babalawos don’t sit at home and look for who to cause trouble for, people come to them. Therefore, posting your baby bump pictures opens you to all sorts of people, including those who don’t want your progress, and might constitute danger for you and more importantly your unborn child.

So yes, you have a choice but think about the possible results before posting the pictures.

• ikunkun January 19, 2013 at 2:36 am

About the friend that got pissed off because her friends were unAfrican by using her pregnant pictures as DP on their BB….You want to know what else is not African?? #Baby Showers and of lesser importance BBM and Facebook so abeg “shift make I sleep”

• Response January 19, 2013 at 1:55 pm

You know what you’ l do? When it’s u’r turn and you’re pregnant pls distribute your nude pregnancy photos for everyone to put up as bbm, Facebook profile pics, laptop wall photos, even whatsapp profile pics!
      I just hate it when ppl are being hypocritical. It’s easy to say when it’s not yours ……#mtshweew!!

• zsa zsa January 19, 2013 at 9:22 pm

I don’t have a problem with people who are scared of showing their “bump” to the world because of superstition and i don’t think superstitious people should have a problem with others who choose to show their bumps,period. Lets just live and let live abeg. The first time i was pregnant my husband and i were excited, we told family members and some co workers. At the 12th week the pregnancy had to be terminated due to complications and we had to break to break the news to our families which was very difficult. The second time we decided to keep it quiet until we were “out of the woods”which is usually after 12 weeks. I took studios pictures of my bump with my husband, we just wanted to celebrate that time in our lives. No we did not post them online but people are free to see them when they visit our home…it’s not a big deal. It a great time in a persons life, let them celebrate how they choose to.

• faith January 20, 2013 at 4:56 am

I can’t wait to get pregy n. Display my baby bump…can’t wait!!!!

• b January 28, 2013 at 1:37 pm

If your belly was growing bigger for any other reason, no one would think its attractive. Just cuz there is a baby in there, doens’t make it physically attractive. True, bring life into the world is beautiful, but westerners have started to sensationalize pregnancy. No one thinks a horse, cow or dog looks better with a big belly. So why would a human? The opposite is true for your growing breasts during pregrancy. Its not the fact that your breasts are producing milk for a child that your hubby finds them attractive, its because he likes bigger breast. he does not, as a rule tho, like big stomachs…

• Tiana February 1, 2013 at 6:48 am

hahahahah true talk right there

• Tiana February 1, 2013 at 6:46 am

I don’t care about anything else but that fake pic of beyonce n jayz always crack me up grrrrrrrrrr….. n what’s da point of showing ur stomach around anyway we want to copy everything good n bad but to each his/her own

• 9jamom February 1, 2013 at 7:34 am

To each his/her own. While sharing pics and telling the world early about baby bumps is not traditionally Nigerian, there are bigger issues we have and it really doesn’t matter one way or the other. There are more important reasons, excluding superstition, that I would choose not to publicly share my baby bump until well after my baby is born:

1. Pregnancy is such a delicate process and easy as Western medicine has made it all seem, it hasn’t changed the humbling nature of forming and carrying a being to full term – generally, the first 12weeks of a pregnancy are the most delicate and practitioners typically advise against sharing the news simply because it is so easy to miscarry at this stage that going around and explaining the absence of the pregnancy takes it’s toll on the parents-to-be and family.

2. Even when you’re out of the woods of the first 12 weeks, one could lose the pregnancy at any stage up until and after delivery, that it doesn’t hurt to be a little cautious. Caution notwithstanding, NO ONE has power over the birthing process …

3. Privacy – I prefer to be in control of what news I choose to share with the world or close friends/family and baby bump pictures fall into that category. I would also want friends and family to respect my wishes…

That said, I don’t believe that sharing the baby bump gives power to anyone to bring harm to the pregnancy – my God is bigger than any fear mongering so I wouldn’t go out of my way to announce or hide a baby bump. My cautious stance is borne out of my desire to continuously remember just how fragile the birthing process is – many carry to full term only to have a still born or a child with complications that passes away within the first few weeks or months of life. How one chooses to live their lives/announce their babies is purely their business!

• Bobby March 5, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Objection please! Beyonce’s pic should not be among, cos that is no baby bump. One day the truth will come out, she was never pregnant!