Charlize Theron was born and raised in a small town on the outskirts of Johannesburg, South Africa.  She was scouted and moved to Italy at the age of 16.

Today, she’s a huge Hollywood star who proudly identifies herself as an African woman. CNN’s African Voices caught up with Charlize on her recent trip home where she went as an advocate for The Global Fund, a institution that aims to “prevent, treat and care for people with HIV and AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria.”

She says the key to making a difference lies in the empowerment of young Africans at the lowest level.

Watch the inspiring feature here:

Part I

Part II

Part III

11 Comments on Hollywood Star Charlize Theron Talks About Her Activism & Love for Her Homeland! Watch the Inspiring Video on CNN’s African Voices
  • dlapikin September 17, 2013 at 8:15 pm

It’s weird that she references the civil rights while talking about issues in South Africa where There was apartheid til the 90′s.

• yoknyamdabale September 18, 2013 at 12:35 am

I think part of the problem is denial that most Afrikaans have about the situation on grounds in South Africa. She is very vague about the deeply rooted problem surrounding the high rates of HIVand AIDS in South Africa. Poverty is a major element to the crisis of HIV/ AIDS, and indigenous black South Africans are on the lowest end of the scale. On the other hand, Charlize Theron and the rest of the minority white group have access to the best of the best both in South Africa and around the world because of white privilege. White South Africans are around 5% of the population but they control the economy, and yet she comfortably sits and talks about how hard she worked to get where she is and discusses civil rights in theoretical terms. I wish she focused more on providing opportunities to black South Africans who are the majority but in terms of wealth they are simply picking after whites’ leftovers. Here is a wonderful article that shows us who has what in South Africa (based on race/ skin color) : ” Two nations race and economic inequality in south africa today.” jstor.org/discover/10.2307/20027679?uid=3739776&uid=2&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21102648618917

• NNENNE September 18, 2013 at 12:11 am

Love you Charlize. Great job.

• BC September 18, 2013 at 6:10 am

I cant stand her. Sorry. Stop talking about Africa. You aint one of us

• Omo1 September 18, 2013 at 10:05 am

Why exactly cant you stand her? You do sound like a racist!

• chizo September 18, 2013 at 1:23 pm

as if she sends whether you can stand her or not…. c person!

• BC September 19, 2013 at 3:17 pm

@ Chizo send me or not I will say it again I cannot stand Charlize Theron.
        You can like her all u want my dear. I DONT HAVE TO. She was interviwed once and asked about apartied in SA. The woman said something like ” O..it’s all been exaggerated blah blah. Insinuating that it was not as bad it is made to see.m And I don’t like her for that reason. Sue me my dear. I dont care!!

• chizo September 18, 2013 at 1:22 pm

@ BC, ….as if she sends u.

• NNENNE September 18, 2013 at 2:20 pm

For how long would Africans stand and complain? In Nigeria, the British ruled us for how many years? How many years have we ruled ourselves with all the oil boom and natural resources?
    I stand to be challenged, the only difference between us and these whites that some of us resent is foresight, planning , management and selflessness.We have all that it takes to be great.The white man have simply found ways of making his resources work for him.
    The sooner we take a thorough look at our selves, the better!
    Let’s stop dwelling in the past and move forward.Every society has history.What makes a society great is learning to use that history to their benefit.
    Love you to bits Charlize!
    BTW…HIV was imported to Africa.That is a fact.

• Olu September 19, 2013 at 4:08 am

Lots of bitter, hateful and vindictive comments here. Y’all should sit still and not think about how to move your individual and societal lives forward. When people like her are doing something, they criticize, when they are not doing, they still criticize…Nnenne, what does it matter whether HIV was imported to Africa or not? How is it relevant to combating the disease?

• Tierney December 8, 2013 at 4:05 am

I’m sorry but I just can’t get behind anything Charlize
    Theron does. I remember when one of her first movies “That Thing
    You Do” came out and she did an article in People magazine. She
    said something like there was no hope in South Africa for white
    people since Apartheid was over. I never forgave her for that
    remark. I’m glad that her attempts to save face are helping others.
    I definitely support the cause. But for me, “Charlize” and
    “inspiring” can never be used together. Never.