About the Etisalat Pan-African Prize for Innovation
The Prize for Innovation 2013 will reward the facilitation and promotion of Mobile Broadband across Africa. Broadband is primarily mobile across the African continent and critical to our economic development. A rise of ten mobile phones per 100 people boosts GDP growth by 0.6%, resulting in improved market information flow and assisting SME’s and Entrepreneurs to grow business and improve links.
The prize will be awarded in 2 subcategories with:
- 1st for the most innovative product or service launched in the last 18 months
- 2nd for the most innovative idea for driving or facilitating mobile broadband use in Africa
Entries will need to show demonstrable impact (or potential) on broadband usage, impressive uptake from customers and have made a visible commercial or social impact on the community for launched products/service.
Entry is open to the African Mobile Broadband eco-system, this includes SME’s and individuals developing innovative mobile broadband solutions.
Entry is open to:
- Handset and Device Manufacturers or Customisers (Dongles & Modems, Tablets & eReaders Embedded Devices)
- App Developers and other Software service providers making use of mobile broadband capability
- Content Developers
- Software Developers
- Network equipment providers
Note on the Commercial Product/Service:
The product or service entered here must have been launched and commercially available and launched within the 18 months prior to the closing deadline of the award application process. Supporting evidence must be provided for launch and quoted commercial figures including details of countries or regions where the service is available.
Category 1: Existing product or service (launched in the last 18 months)
- $25,000 USD
- 3 of the latest Smartphones/Tablets
- Business Development Mentoring with Etisalat
- Possible commercial partnership with Etisalat
Category 2: Innovative Idea or concept
- $ 10,000 USD
- 3 Smartphones/Tablets
- Product Incubation Programme
- Business Development Mentoring with Etisalat Access to network resources for testing, knowledgebase, etc.
- Pilot study and analysis via Etisalat’s customer base (terms apply)
The decision for who will take home the award will be based on Etisalat’s vision and values. The winners should be able to inspire and enable consumers to take up or increase mobile broadband use.
Etisalat’s strategic imperatives will inspire scoring – we are an organisation that promotes Innovation, Customer Centricity and Quality.
An expert Judging panel will select the winners in both categories by scoring the answers to the questions. Each entry will be marked by 3 different judges and an average score obtained. The panel will be looking for those entries which best demonstrate the qualities described above and best address the questions asked on application.
30th September 2013