Elevate U with Ifeanyi: How Far?

Posted on Thursday, October 31st, 2013 at 9:00 AM

By Ifeanyi Igbokwe

A few days back, I was passively listening to a radio program when the presenter played a Christmas tune. Like a big joke, I suddenly began to realize that the year is as good as over. I still remember like it was yesterday when I was putting down my new year’s resolutions and my goals.

I have a friend who graduated from university the same year I did. We lived in the same city. Four years after we left school, he asked to see me. He told me he needed a loan, I asked him how much and he told me. He wanted me to use my contacts to make things easier for him.

I obliged but when I asked what he needed the money for, he gave me an answer that got me thinking for days. The money was for business. ‘Let me tell you something’ he added, ‘I was unable to meet my personal target for last year and this year I’ll need capital to start early’. My spirit stirred in me unto reality. Here is a young man who inherited properties in Abuja and Lagos valued at hundreds of millions of Naira, and he still has targets that he struggles and abandon comfort to achieve.

Here I was, someone who had just gotten a professional customer service job, working with one of the telecoms firms. The previous year, I had dreams, I had targets but almost did not meet any one of them. I was supposed to start my consulting firm but I didn’t. I was supposed to finish and publish a book I started writing a year earlier but I didn’t. I didn’t register my consulting firm; not because I didn’t have money but because somehow, I had become carried away with this job, so much that I somehow had lost touch with focus. My father had not left me any property to inherit but I managed to live for the moment.

So are the lives of a million and one people out there. They are on auto mode. They take life as it comes forgetting that there will be a tomorrow. It is so easy to go with the flow of comfort and be easily carried away by its luxuries only to wake up to the painful sting of reality, should the supply be cut off.

I want to ask you what your dreams are. When was the last time you did something about them? Of the goals you set for the year, how many of them did you achieve? Time is stealing 2013 away from us, have you sat down for a minute to evaluate the journey so far? What has happened to your 2013?

I met a man recently who by my estimate is in his sixties. He had dreams just like every other young person and had his fair share of comfort and luxury. He said something I would never forget in a hurry – “Some things haunted him“. It was his regret. He had gone to school in the UK and had always wanted to start a business but even in his sixties, his dreams were still as far from as the skies.

I wonder how he feels each time the still small voice of his conscience begins to tell him, ‘You should have done something. You had all the opportunities. Now you are old and poor while others are old, rich and comfortable’. It was only a few yesterdays ago that he was as young as me full of goals taller than the heavens, but here he is managing to survive.

So once again I ask you: What is your goal? What have you done this far to achieve it? Have you been consistent at working on it? Have you been altogether sidetracked? What is it that’s stopping you? Let me end with this story.

During NYSC, I met a young man who told me a story about a man who had once lived in the community. As a child, he parents were poor. It wasn’t the kind of poverty we are used to. It was a case of extreme poverty. His family was so impoverished that they could not afford to keep him in school, so he was withdrawn and kept permanently on the farm. But the young child’s spirit was too strong to give up on education. Being that he didn’t have the privilege of sitting in a classroom with his peers, what he did was to borrow the notebooks of his friends during holidays and digest them. This he continued until his peers got to SS3. By that time, he had both studied hard enough and had saved enough money to sit for A-level exams. He did so well and “cleared” all the papers with distinction. He got a scholarship to study medicine in the UK.

Do you still think that what is stopping you from presently achieving your goals would hold sway when placed side by side with the stories of people like this man?
Once again, How far?
_______________________________________________________________________________
Ifeanyi J. Igbokwe is a seasoned writer, motivational speaker, consultant and an action coach with special interest with personal and corporate growth and effectiveness. Twitter: @igbokwe_ifeanyi Email: ifeanyi.igbokwe@gmail.com.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 23 Comments on “Elevate U with Ifeanyi: How Far?”

Comments
    • Hilda October 31, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Wow..really inspiring!
      This is just the kick I need to fulfil the dream of starting a business. Not easy with a 9-5 job but im determined and I wont give up. Thank you for this Ifeanyi

• zamunda October 31, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Wow!!!gbam!an undergraduate in a federal university.instead of waiting 4this tug of war between FG and ASUU,I’ve registered for a professional french examination dis december.hoping it will be a plus 4me with my law degree.can’t stop dreaming and hoping

• Theisokogirl October 31, 2013 at 9:37 AM

FOOD FOR THOUGHT…..

• QueenBee October 31, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Stay focused, stay determined…tough but worthwhile! thank you Ifeanyi

• Hilda October 31, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Bukky? is that you? lol

• oluwatobiloba October 31, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Thank you ifeanyi.

• Abiola October 31, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I couldn’t read the article to the very end. While I understood the message, I was distracted by the grammatical errors. It would be nice if articles can be properly read and errors corrected before being published.
      Thanks.

• slice October 31, 2013 at 3:31 PM

i read the whole thing but I did find the errors distracting too.
        It’s quite clear she’s a good writer. This just required a tad bit more editing.

• slice October 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM

BN, i think you can actually edit it for her:
          I wondered how he will feels each (feel)
          As a child, he parents were poor
          By that time, he had both studied hard enough and has saved enough money
          etc

• tequi October 31, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Can’t you just read the message and move on! you could not read to the end because you were checking out for errors; that’s why most of us miss out from life because we are too rigid and subconsciously searching for the “bad” in others! Let me tell you something, the message is clear- it says, what have you achieved this year amongst the goals you set earlier in the year? Gbam!!! at least i helped you and saved you some stress. *winks*

• Abiola October 31, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Is it too much to strive for perfection in all you do? I’m not trying to knock anyone’s hustle, it’s nice Ifeanyi took the time out to write the article, but what is worth doing at all is worth doing well. Do you know how many graduates we have in this country that cannot express themselves properly? We always make the excuse of ‘English is not our mother tongue”, but we spend so long learning it, the least one can do is excel at it.

• dp November 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Grammatical error is the only thing you could talk about, the theme of the write up which is very good and needful for people who want to excel in life you have no input on that

• Jade November 1, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Being pushed towards perfection is not an issue, and quite frankly if that is your ambition, it is beautiful. The thought that provoked me however is the fact that you were unable to completely read the article. Now that is cause for concern as you have pretty much lost out on a beautiful though and a provoking view just by simply placing focus on the errors. wow!!!

• Lamie October 31, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Wow! This is thought-provoking!

• Abby October 31, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Very inspiring article, Tomorrow starts Today my people, im determined to makea progress on my upcoming project :) God help me

• temiloluwa October 31, 2013 at 12:19 PM

A beautiful reminder this truly is, thank you for writing.
      temisigns.blogspot.com

• Tess October 31, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Thanks for reminding us Ifeanyi. We truly need to focus on what is what is important in life and make hay while the sun shines.

• Asaa October 31, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Thanks a lot! I really need this push!

• Adams. October 31, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Grammatical error or not, Message seen, eaten, and digested. Going into thinking and planning mode tonight. Thanks for the article.

• Zeebs November 1, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Stunning read!
      Many thanks Ifeanyi for being the appropriately-gauged kick in the butt I need to make something out of this year. As for the ‘errors’, seriously guys, no one’s comprehension could have been hindered by the occasional extra s here and there. And I am very critical of poor english. It was negligible up there.

• frances November 1, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Thanks Ifeanyi,this was really inspiring.

imperfectlyperfect92.wordpress.com

• larz November 1, 2013 at 12:44 PM

“The previous year, I had dreams, I had targets but almost did not meet any one of them. I was supposed to start my consulting firm but I didn’t. I was supposed to finish and publish a book I started writing a year earlier but I didn’t.”
      Anything worth doing they say is worth doing well. It is good to dream but we gotta be realistic with it. I think one of the reasons you plans failed was they were a lil unrealistic. You had a FT job and your aim was to publish a book plus start up a consultancy company. All these appear to be demanding and perhaps time consuming. If a plan is too stretching/ unachievable, there is less motivation to commit to making it work.

• the mane captain (healthy hair & skin tips) November 1, 2013 at 7:19 PM

what a great article. came at the perfect time. The story of the young boy is truly inspiring!
      I’d say I’ve achieved about 60% of my goals. I must say that I am more determined and hard working now than ever, after reading of so many success stories.
      themanecaptain.blogspot.ca