Man’s Best Friend! Not Two, But Four

Have you ever loved someone that no one else saw sense in? A personality that made you laugh, play and even make you get mad over unnecessary stuffs. Let me tell you about my friend.

Her name was Tandi. She wasn’t anything extraordinary. If she walked past; you probably wouldn’t notice but she was a friend to count on anytime.
Tandi had a pocket full of sunshine, meaning she loved to have fun like her life was a fantasy. She never took life seriously because there was nothing to be serious about. The word ‘STRESS’ and ‘HARDWORK’ didn’t exist in her dictionary. She lived in her own world of adventure. She took life priceless and enjoyed it like if everyday was the last. She loved surprises and wasn’t afraid to find out what next. Tandi seemed like the kind of girl who loved ice-cream on the beach, window shopping with her girlfriends, having slumber parties every Saturday and having a boyfriend who could sing Chris Brown’s ’With You’ every minute to her.

Tandi was sweet and peaceful. Her favourite things were to eat a lot, play in the garden and take a long afternoon nap. She didn’t like having her hair washed which we all thought was unhealthy. You could always find her getting into trouble with daddy when she stepped on the couch in the living room, getting into a fight with my baby brother George, or taking one leg of my All-star sneakers and never returning it back.

Tandi was a character, she never liked Christmas because of the fireworks, she never liked parties because of the crowd and she never liked raining days, because no one would share an umbrella with her. Tandi wasn’t like any other friend I ever had in my life, why? She never cared about her hair, not her even nails. She didn’t care about or what shoes to wear. She didn’t care about the boy who scoped her next door or what choice of university she wanted to study at. But one thing she cared about was family and friendship.

There were moments Tandi and I had together; like when I got born again and told her about my whole experience, as she looked at me with a smile throughout the whole story. Or like the day my boyfriend broke with me, she was the only shoulder I could cry on without been pushed away. I can remember during my prom asking her questions about what dress to wear as I brought out two dresses out of my wardrobe which were pink and teal, asking her which one she preferred as she stood there dumbfounded, as I remembered “Oh!, what’s the use Tandi, you can’t see colours anyway” as we laughed together with her wide funny smile.

Wouldn’t you like to have a friend that you could share secrets with and won’t tell? Well Tandi was that perfect friend who I would always trust with my secrets. Although she never had anything to advice me with (which was very annoying), just looking at her pitch black eye; I knew she had a lot to say even if she didn’t say any word back.
So finally, I have told you about my friend Tandi. A personally no human can imitate or be like in a lifetime. What is so special about Tandi? The way she didn’t like getting her hair washed? The way she never paid attention to the boy she scoped her next door? Or the way she never joked with her mealtime? Actually, it’s because she had sharp teeth which she never bothered to visit the dentist about, she was very hairy and never used a shaving cream not once in her life and didn’t need new Jimmy-choo shoes because she walked on four legs. YES! on FOUR legs.

Tandi is a dog, but she is more than dog, she was my best friend. Tandi was my pet for 13 years and I met her at the age of 8. She lived still I was 20 years old.
My father called her a pet dog, the vet called her a special dog, my brother called her a rag, I called her man’s best friend, actually … My Best Friend, which she will always have a special space in my heart. Even if ‘All dogs don’t go to heaven’ as people say, Tandi is a personality I will want to see someday in heaven someday and I hope this time she would be able to speak , so I can tell her “I love you” and she reply “I love you too” with her wide smile.

Photo Credit: visualphotos.com
____________________________________________________________________________________
Anu Bialose is a lover of fashion, Disney channel, pop music and her Barbie dolls, with everything pink. She is a creative and lifestyle writer, who is also a public relations consultant with C and F Porter Novelli.

42 Comments on Man’s Best Friend! Not Two, But Four
  • goldfinch November 24, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Out of topic question: please where is that show that lolo1 hosts and asks celebrities the meaning of some English vocabularies? I really miss the show. It was damn hilarious to watch.

• Missy J November 24, 2013 at 11:34 pm

At flytime access word of the day. Just type that on youtube and I hope that helps

• zeenie November 24, 2013 at 1:13 pm

awww… i loved it… while reading i kept wondering about the connected between the story and the picture of the girl and the dog. i sometimes wish i had such relationship with our dogs… but…

• smith November 24, 2013 at 2:12 pm

That is a very interesting piece of writing. I enjoy the story from the beginning to the end.

• Endo November 24, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Quite interesting though not really a dog person . Still can relate though

Pls share your endometriosis stories@ endochallenges.wordpress.com. Let’s beat endo together!

• Sexxie November 24, 2013 at 2:51 pm

So sorry for your loss Anu! From the story Tandi was terrific. I’m a dog lover too. Dogs are the best friends ever! Loyal to the end. I hope you’ll get another that you’ll love as much. And name her Tandi too. :)

• rootwoo.com November 24, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Hmmm i never had a friend on four after i got bitten by a dog as big as a human being. I love them when they are stil little not when then ve grown up.
    Nice write up

• oyiza November 24, 2013 at 3:33 pm

I 4bid dis nonsense

• new bride November 24, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Yeah I had a dog for 12 years too! And she was like the
    baby of the family and she was so protective of us. When my sister
    had a good for nothing boyfriend, this dog was the first to know
    cos she hated his guts from day 1 and would growl seriously every
    time he was around. She also hated fireworks cos as a 3 week old
    puppy our armed security guard mistakenly fired his gun and scared
    the hell out of her that she peed on herself and cried like a baby,
    I guess it scarred her for life. The funniest thing is that on her
    vet hospital card, she had our surname :) I loved her with all my
    heart and I wept like a baby when my Mom called to say she died. I
    miss my dog! I really want a dog now, especially for my son, but
    pets aren’t allowed on my estate :(

• Miss_Flygerian November 24, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I come from a family of dog lovers so I can totally relate
    with the writer’s grief. I felt the same way when one of our dogs
    was killed by a rough driver some years back.

• Philip Okiche November 24, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Awww. I really enjoyed the write-up although I prefer dogs
    when they are little. I’m sorry for your loss.

• ij November 24, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Dogs are indeed amazing , schnauzers especially

• Banny November 24, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Abegi, talking about dog as if say na human being, Na like
    this e take dey start. “Dogs have feelings, they are our best
    friends, they have souls too”. Before you know it, na “we have the
    right to marry our dogs if we want to because they are no different
    from humans”. Anyway, I don’t even understand how the world
    functions any more as anything goes. It was an interesting read but
    I do not subscribe to its message. If I was from Calabar or some
    place in Ondo state, I would gladly have eaten Tandi with relish
    and without any feeling of remorse. Like my friend will say, Na
    people when don chop belleful na dem dey talk all this kind things.
    LOL

• Jesseswife November 24, 2013 at 7:26 pm

You have deep issues sa!

• Autoprincess November 24, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Guy/babe, have you never heard that if you don’t have something good to say, you shouldn’t say anything ? Instead of you to display your mumuism here, you certainly should have zipped it.

• corolla November 25, 2013 at 1:32 pm

You obviously posted this comment for shock value and
      attention.Now that we have given you attention, do you feel
      loved?

• Cancel Reply November 25, 2013 at 3:11 pm

@ Banny …Wait, I dont get o!Abegi, what exactly don’t you subscribe to? The fact that she loved her dog?The writer was telling us about here experience with her dog, and you don’t subscribe to it???

I have seen many ridiculous comments on BN, but yours sure takes the cake. Very absurd and narrow minded!

• Banny November 25, 2013 at 9:59 pm

What do you mean by that? Is it a must to love dogs or
        animals? Or people who eat dogs are less human because they do?
        Like I said, I never chop belleful so I can’t give such attention
        to animals. I will gladly eat them because I feel they were made as
        food for man. Anyone you deem fit, please eat. What about peeps who
        worship bulls and cows? Do you know how mad they are when people
        eat them as meat? Abegi, make una park well jor. I have human
        beings to feed and in need of real love and attention and I won’t
        go about giving them to animals. You hear? Ozuo!!!! After all, BN
        put it for all to read or they would have simply titled it
        “strictly for animal lovers” so you read the aww, oohh, so lovely
        and all that. Make una dey mind una self o. I live in a free
        country and I can as well give my opinions on a public forum or did
        I insult anyone?

• L.C November 24, 2013 at 6:21 pm

I enjoyed reading this article. I am a dog lover and will
    always be. I love dogs because they are loyal and will not betray
    you. I can’t say the same for humans.

• Comment November 24, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I shed a lone tear for this article. I’m also a dog lover and i’ve had dogs almost all my life, although different ones. My present one is 7years and I will feel exactly this way if she passes. My condolences :(

• Sola November 24, 2013 at 9:03 pm

They said dogs werent allowed in my estate and we broke the rules. My dogs are amazing. Literally.

• Mills and Boons November 24, 2013 at 9:07 pm

I can totally relate. My dog’s name is Tumininu and she has our surname….everyone always questions why we gave her a human name, but they just don’t understand. She is more than a pet, she is family. These animals are capable of showing or giving soo much love. Tumininu is 9 years old now, guess her time with us is limited. W’re gonna give her a decent burial when she leaves us.

• Blacbeauty November 24, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Miss my dog Sheba a lot,she was such a darling. Rest in peace Sheba. Anu,tk heart.

• Kayla November 25, 2013 at 2:32 am

Dogs re really man’s best friend every year I put our dogs name as part of my prayer request cos I see him as a family always there for us can be very silly and annoying but that dog taught me how to love someone without thinking of what you will get in return, nice write up it pays to love a dog.

• Modella November 25, 2013 at 8:17 am

True talk @ Banny..no news today BN peeps,I kept refreshing this page like a thousand times now!

• Hadassah November 25, 2013 at 8:41 am

RIP poor dog. But me i deh wait updated pics from tiwa’s wedding and atoke’s Monday morning jist Shaaa. Bella naija, y’all hurry n post men. Lol

• billionaire in grace November 25, 2013 at 8:48 am

Was thinking thandie was a person.

• Autoprincess November 25, 2013 at 9:23 am

This brought back memories of Marcelle, our Rottweiler. We got her as a puppy and lost her when she was just 3 years. Dogs are really man’s best friend!

• Zayt November 25, 2013 at 9:47 am

awww, now I miss rexy our dog. it was put down yesterday :( RIP REXY. U’ll forever be missed

• Hannah November 25, 2013 at 10:51 am

sorry for your loss on Rexy. thats really sad.

• Babe November 25, 2013 at 10:32 am

Beautiful write-up Anu! I had a dog for about 9years and i wept badly when he died. I still miss him till today.

• Ogunbanwo Oluwaseun November 25, 2013 at 10:42 am

Nice piece there Nunu!

• 5’5 November 25, 2013 at 10:48 am

*hugs* Anu. I get what you are going through. I wept for a day when our dog of 11 years passed. Its been 3 years and we still miss it like crazy. We have other dogs now, and we tend to repeat the names of our pets, but we have retired that name as no other dog can like him.

I love animals. Dogs especially. The love and loyalty they are capable of… its unimaginable.

• Hannah November 25, 2013 at 11:26 am

its amazing how people read. this is brilliant. Tandi will always be loved. Beautiful article by Anu Bialose.

• anu November 25, 2013 at 11:31 am

I can relate, mine was a german shepherd, Rambo, he passed on few months back. my condolences to Anu.

• lara November 25, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Ehen, anu the dog lover. Nice article my doll. Pink
    kisses

• Mrs Dangote (nee Anonymous) November 25, 2013 at 1:15 pm

I went to the Petrol Station yesterday and had my dog in
    the back seat. As soon as the attendant saw her, he started calling
    his mates and telling them in Yoruba (I guess he assumed I didn’t
    understand) to “come and see this one would be good for soup”. So
    his mates came and they were all peeping then of them said the
    local breeds were better for soup as mine looked like it had been
    vaccinated which would spoil the taste of the soup. Needless to
    say, the thought of my dog in anyone’s soup pot made me shudder!
    Well I guess like Banny said na person wey chop belleful go
    remember say im wan keep dog.

• whocares November 25, 2013 at 2:10 pm

I don’t care much for dogs, and that is mostly because I am
    afraid of them. when I was younger my mother lied to someone that I
    got bitten on my buttocks and ever since then.. that said, I do
    like them. I have heard stories and seen pictures of people’s dogs,
    and these animals have souls. they are also good judges of
    characters (mostly because they wag their tails and like to lick
    me. lol) so I can understand a person loving their dog. they are
    good people.

• tobee November 25, 2013 at 2:18 pm

@ banny,but why now? I can bet if u neva bellefull u no go put mouth fr ds discussion.you make me lol cos u must be a funny person no wonder ur name is banny

• Audrey November 26, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I love my Willow! she’s such a sweetheart. She almost got knocked down by a truck today because she run out of the house when I wasn’t watching. I’d be very sad if she dies :-(
    Dogs are man’s best example of what true love is, castrate them and the still love you to bits lol

• timi November 27, 2013 at 6:11 pm

so finally did it …..this is the best article ever it bring backs good Memory