Nse Ikpe-Etim at the 2012 AMAAs in House of Nwocha

The 2014 Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards nominations were announced yesterday Thursday 5th December 2013 at the Landmark Village, Victoria Island, Lagos.

Check it out!

2014 Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards Nominations (The voting codes are also available)
2014 AMVCA - Best Movie - Decemeber 2013 - BellaNaija

Best Documentary
Dr Gilbert Chigbo (Narrator) – The Deadwood
Sonia Maingi – Tumanka Goes to School
Peter Murimi – Matatu: My Life, My Art
Peter Murimi- Guardians of the Wild
David Campbell – Shamba Shape Up

2014 AMVCA - Best Indigenous Movie Language Swahili - December 2013 - BellaNaija

Best Indigenous Language Movie/Series (Swahili)
Edwin Maina Kariuki – Nairobi Half Life
Jordan Riber – Siri Ya Mtungi
Ann Hamberger – Nina
Njoki Muhoho – Mama Duka
Musa Venerable Mziba, Vagabond

2014 AMVCA - Best Indigenous Movie Language Yoruba - December 2013 - BellaNaija

Best Indigenous Language Movie/Series (Yoruba)
Afeez Eniola – Arinnakore
Mercy Aigbe – Komfo
Abdulrasaq Abdullahi – Edidi
Olatunji Akeem Balogun – Aye Kooto
Olatunji Akeem Balogun – Mufu Olosa Oloko

2014 AMVCA - Best Indigenous Movie Language Hausa - December 2013 - BellaNaija

Best Indigenous Language Movie/Series (Hausa)
Yasin Auwal, Umar K, Mazugal – Wana Gari 1& 2

Alex Gakumo – Sumu La Penzi Episode 1 Season 1
Michael Wawuyo – The Felistas Fable
Rehema Samo – Siri Ya Mtungi
Israel Moses – A Wish
Rosemary Obika, Redemption

2014 AMVCA - Best Video Editor - Decemeber 2013 - BellaNaijaBest Video Editor

46 Comments on 2014 Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards Nominees List: Nse Ikpe-Etim, Osita Iheme, Last Flight to Abuja, Yvonne Okoro, Contract, Funke Akindele, Majid Michel & More
  • Praise December 6, 2013 at 10:34 am

Where is Mercy Johnson’s name?

• zinybenson December 6, 2013 at 11:20 am

Tanks 4 dis

• Olanma December 6, 2013 at 11:22 am

Correct me if I’m wrong.
    To be a nominee, your works must have been aired on Africa Magic before a certain time period and before the mentioning of the nominees on TV, right? If so, Living Funeral isn’t eligible to be in any of the lists. It has never been aired on Africa Magic, again correct me if I’m wrong, also it was only just produced. Regardless, with the other nominees they’re grouped with, I don’t see the movie taking home any award. I’m only being genuine.

Moving on, Funke Akindele, wow thrice for three different movies? Salute.
    I love Obi Emelonye, he has to win; great at what he does.

Good luck to the rest of the nominees.

• Ada December 6, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Why the emphasis on Living Funeral thats not the only movie here that hasnt been aired in Africa Magic Correct Me if im wrong 80% of this movies have never been aired on africa Magic. They obviously saw the movie and has a damn good reason for nominating them in the categories that they did. Appreciate the people involved and move on! I’m sure you’ll get to see the movie soon. Also last year a good number of the movies that win never aired on Africa Magic. Congratulations to all the nominees and big ups living funeral cast and crew there must be something about this movie thats making it get nominations. Can’t wait to see it

• Fotso December 6, 2013 at 4:31 pm

You, move on.
        My goodness! The person has given his/her opinion, you don’t have to agree with it but you also don’t have to take it personal, jeez.
        Reading his/her comment, initially I disagreed but later I realized what he/she was talking about. I’m not saying the movie is good or not because I haven’t even seen it, but Africa Magic did say your movie had to be broadcast/aired and this movie wasn’t. You’ve said many nominated movies weren’t aired. I’d disagree, 80% or the movies nominated here HAVE been aired apart from the funeral movie. If you set a rule, you abide by it. No one is talking about the cast, producer, director, etc, they only mentioned it (the movie), it didn’t make the cut. Some may agree, some may disagree, you don’t have to take it personal. We’re different with different speculations, you don’t have to carry the matter on your head.

• Olanma December 6, 2013 at 6:32 pm

But why are you taking it to heart?
        I never said it wasn’t a good movie, I was shocked to see it on the list. Not like I know the cast of the movie or the people who put the movie together. Of all the movies on the list, I have seen most of them, the others I haven’t seen, they’ve been aired and I either haven’t had time to watch them or decided not to. However, I’ve never heard of Living Funeral. The advertisements I watched severally, O.C Ukeje and Jackie Appiah did say it had to be broadcast to be considered. With all the prerequisites, I was shocked seeing the movie. Not talking about whether or not the movie is great or not, I just thought from the requirements, the movie wasn’t qualified.
        Calm down.

• Matthew December 6, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Interesting list. Was at Living Funeral Premiere and it is a VERY VERY FANTASTIC PIECE OF WORK! Goodluck to Udoka Oyeka, Orode Ryan-Okpu and the entire cast and crew. Also goodluck Nse great actress! Let the voting begin!

• S December 6, 2013 at 11:40 am

The make-up for lekki wives a the ONLY THING WRONG with the series (-_-)

• omoshalewa December 6, 2013 at 11:49 am

@S-i agree with you oh.there is nothing special about the makeup on the lekki wives. Infact I was disappointed when I startg it.

• Dave December 6, 2013 at 11:50 am

Perfect Nominees

• Cee December 6, 2013 at 11:56 am

Its amusing how African Magic releases a shedload of nominee list and movies they do not show on their channel. How then are most of the viewers gonna vote the best? IrokoTV should be the persons executing this award cause thats the only place you get to watch most of the movies mentioned!

• Shandi December 6, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Yes, you’re so very right.
      Not all of them though, just a little. I was confused when I saw some nominees because they kept stressing in the commercials how a movie had to be aired before it can be nominated.
      I’m Cameroonian and I always watch Africa magic, I have never watched/seen/heard of Living Funeral. So to see the movie in 2 categories amused me, didn’t hear of the movie or see it until the nomination show yesterday.
      Obi Emelonye and Frank Rajah Arase are really good movie directors, I actually predicted they’ll be nominated. I’m routing for the both of them, it’s hard to pick one.
      Hopefully I’d see a work of a Cameroonian get nominated next year *fingers crossed*
      May the best and well deserved person win; all the best to the nominees.

• Jennifer December 6, 2013 at 11:59 am

I saw Last Flight to Abuja, really good movie.
    Journey to self was amazing too, Goodluck Nse!
    Shirley Frimpong-Manso, you need to win something this year; your works are impeccable,
    Having said that, isn’t Living Funeral the movie that was recently premiered, why is it on the list? Yet to see anyone that has watched the movie, just the premier. It’s also in a very tough category anyway. Really shocked to see them on the list.
    Ivie Okujaiye is also a phenomenal actress, all the best to her.

• Felinda1 December 6, 2013 at 12:30 pm

This is why I deem all african awards home or abroad absolutely USELESS. its like u sit and wonder did they even watch these movies, and why r u even bringing back somewhere in africa thats 2 yrs old. Absolutely useless

• Mindblowingme December 6, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Nse all the way.

• Turi December 6, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I dont think AM mentioned or stated that the movies must have aired on AM or any of thier affiliate stations. According to their guidelines, All films, made-for-television movies or television series are eligible for entry to the AMVCA if they were produced and broadcast or publically exhibited during the period of May1st 2012 to September 30th 2013. So lets be informed before commenting!
    xplorenollywood.blogspot.com

• Susan December 6, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Lol they did. You definitely didn’t see the commercials. Even during BBA, during commercials they did say so. The movie wasn’t broadcast between those dates, it was just recently premiered and hasn’t been shown on AM. I don’t think they’ll comment without knowing what they’re on about. I wonder why everyone is against the movie being nominated, perhaps we should blame Africa magic for setting rules and not adhering to it.

Oh my, I love this Nse girl. First time I watched a movie of her was on YouTube in 2010; a movie with Ramsey Noah. I was gobsmacked. She’s too good. Definitely supporting her, you watch her and forget it’s a movie, she makes it so real. Thumbs up girl!

• Loma December 6, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Why does ‘The meeting’ not qualify for any of these nominations? I thought it got really good reviews.

• Bella December 6, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I know right!
      And it’s a good movie, was also aired. A movie like Living Funeral that was never aired and was just recently premiered, was never shown on African Magic is making the list, very astonishing to say the least. What’s more surprising is, it’s a short film, it’s not in the short film category, but it’s in best movie of 2013; what criteria was used please? I know as Nigerians, when someone says the truth, it’s considered or translated to “hate” or “hating”.
      I know very well Bella Naija won’t post this as you guys screen comments especially when you don’t agree with a comment or you particularly know the person in question. Fine, the list has been made but it’s fair and safe to say it’s not taking any award, 1. They’re ineligible to be on the list. 2. With the movies they’re placed with, I don’t see them winning. Viewer’s choice,why will viewers vote for a movie that wasn’t aired before the deadline set by Africa magic? It still hasn’t been aired, why will I vote for a movie I haven’t watched?
      Anyways, I’m routing for Obi Emelonye , Nse Ikpe-Etim and Shirley Frimpong-Manso; TALENTED.

• Bella2 December 6, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Dont know why you people are carrying the headache if Africa magic didnt feel it was a great movie they wouldn’t have put it up there! Now give it a rest and vote for who you want let the best man win simple! Chai Same director got nominated for three slots last year for down and out that never aired so wondering why all the fingers are pointing now. Give it a rest people jeez

Nse gets my vote

• ada December 6, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Good luck to my fav actress – Nse! you are a fantastic actress.

• lady December 6, 2013 at 6:45 pm

haters gon hate!

• Nolan December 6, 2013 at 7:58 pm

And there you go. Everything is “hate” in this generation. Smh.

They’re not that many South Africans this year like last year. Oh well. It’s however good to see other African counties, especially Eastern Africa. Thanks Nigeria for inspiring other African countries to step up our game.
      May the best man/woman win. Good luck folks.

• Jennifer December 6, 2013 at 6:53 pm

@bella2 That might have happened last year, but the movies nominated last year, whether they were aired or not, were known movies, were online and weren’t produced or premiered few months before the nomination. No one is saying it’s not good (it hasn’t been seen anyway), but from the requirements Africa Magic made, it shouldn’t be nominated, simple.
    It’s no big deal really. The commenters are probably just mentioning.

• me2me December 6, 2013 at 10:35 pm

All you guys calling people haters for speaking the truth, go check your dictionary. Last funeral Abi kile timkpe does not qualify for this years award. These producers had better speak up.

• lady December 7, 2013 at 10:21 am

LMAOOO!!! So, Obi Omelonye’s Last flight to Abuja hasnt
    shown on Africa magic yet, Sherley’s The Contract hasn’t shown on
    AfricaMagic yet; Flower girls hasn’t shown on AfricaMagic yet;
    Nairobi Halflife hasn’t shown on AfricaMagic yet… So why the
    emphasis on Living Funeral. Like I said earlier- Haters gon
    HATE!!!!!

• lady December 7, 2013 at 10:45 am

Oh before I forget- The Awakening also hasn’t shown on
    AfricaMagic. The guidelines sent to producers are different from
    what AfricaMagic is promoting. You guys should check the guidelines
    its online- use your internet wisely before you speak. So if yo
    have beef with this Living Funeral Film then talk… If you have
    beef with AfricaMagic confusing you then talk. But speak with
    common sense and don’t attack a particular movie and not the other
    film who also haven’t shown on AfricaMagic as well

• Moc December 7, 2013 at 11:19 am

LWKMD … Let’s speak truth … Pls go online &
    check the requirements African Magic sent all the producers. I’m
    yet to see Living Funeral but it must be a damn good film to get 8
    NOMINATIONS or is that Y U pple r beefing ??? It seems like the
    requirements aired on TV is different from what was sent to film
    producers but which ever way, the award ceremony is in MARCH 2014,
    I’m sure we will all get to see LIVING FUNERAL & the rest
    … ‘cos none of these other nominated films have been aired on
    African Magic

• Bella2 December 7, 2013 at 11:24 am

GBAM thats about it!

• Mati December 8, 2013 at 1:40 am

Calm down now, are you sure you’re not the producer or
        director of the movie? How many comments from you alone?! You have
        made your comments, which people may agree or disagree with, just
        because some might disagree doesn’t mean they’re hating. So I can’t
        comprehend why you’ve called people that have different ideas from
        yours haters. That word is used so carelessly today. You don’t have
        to call people twats for having different opinions from yours.
        Those movies you’ve mentioned weren’t aired, yes you’re right, but
        they were premiered before the stated dates and not RECENTLY
        premiered. Maybe that’s why these people are ranting. In all
        honesty, I do not care, it’s not biggy, but they’re right; it’s a
        new movie. Others may not be on Africa Magic but they were
        premiered many months ago and have been watched online/available to
        watch. Again, no big deal. They’re just nominees, awards are
        unpredictable and anyone can win. It doesn’t call for name calling.
        Rest! Congratulations to everyone especially Shirley and Obi. You
        guys are an inspiration. Shirley I do hope you win something this
        time cause you’re really good.

• Moc December 7, 2013 at 11:22 am

LWKMD … Let’s speak truth … Pls go online &
    check the requirements African Magic sent all the producers. I’m
    yet to see Living Funeral but it must be a damn good film to get 8
    NOMINATIONS or is that Y U pple r beefing ??? It seems like the
    requirements aired on TV is different from what was sent to film
    producers but which ever way, the award ceremony is in MARCH 2014,
    I’m sure we will all get to see LIVING FUNERAL & the rest
    … ‘cos none of these other nominated films have been aired on
    African Magic

• lady December 7, 2013 at 12:57 pm

just incase some of you guys don’t know how to use google

• Eni December 7, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Interesting read of all the Comments but i guess this LINK
      settles it! So lets go Living Funeral was at the preimere and it
      was golden! Let the voting begin! Haha

• Nneka December 8, 2013 at 2:03 am

You clearly cannot read, or didn’t read everything on the
        link. That movie wasn’t publicly exhibited between May-September,
        but it was recently; not between those dates. I was wondering why
        the comments were against the movie and their stress but the link
        explains it. But it’s okay abeg. The best person will win,
        Nigerians can go on and on about insignificant issues. Vote for the
        person you want and run along! Eesshh. @lady I’m very sure you were
        part of the movie ’cause I don’t know how many people will have the
        time to write several comments on one post and take it so personal,
        jeez. Calm down people. If the movie is so good, rest and let it
        speak for itself.

• lady December 7, 2013 at 12:59 pm

pls let me know where in the guidelines it says a film or
    in this case “Living Funeral” has to have aired on AfricaMagic and
    not the other films. Twats!

• Moc December 7, 2013 at 1:36 pm

LWKMD … Let’s speak truth … Pls go online &
    check the requirements African Magic sent all the producers. I’m
    yet to see Living Funeral but it must be a damn good film to get 8
    NOMINATIONS or is that Y U pple r beefing ??? It seems like the
    requirements aired on TV is different from what was sent to film
    producers but which ever way, the award ceremony is in MARCH 2014,
    I’m sure we will all get to see LIVING FUNERAL & the rest
    … ‘cos none of these other nominated films have been aired on
    African Magic

• Ifeoma December 8, 2013 at 12:28 pm

@Nneka and @Mati sweetheart it says produced OR OR OR
    publicly displayed “OR”. For it to have been sent to Africa magic
    it must have been produced and ready obviously before Sept
    deadline. Again lets read and understand carefully before posting.
    In the end LIVING FUNERAL is eligible to be nomiated! Africa magic
    says OR publicly displayed meaning it didnt necessarily have to be
    displayed by Sept 2013! Are we clear people. That being said move
    ON

• Mayowa December 8, 2013 at 9:10 pm

You certainly have issues with understanding. Their points are, the movie was recently premiered, it wasn’t premiered on/before September but after! Open your eyes and read well before commenting. It doesn’t qualify for all the “ORs’. Drop the issue, and move on too.

• Ifeoma December 10, 2013 at 1:04 am

Whether the movie was premiered after September or not thats
        Not an issue if you read carefully which clearly you didnt before opening your mouth or in this case typing. The OR comes into play meaning if the movie was produced OR publicly aired! Isnt it silly for you to read one half and forget the other half for reasons best known to you! Now i see why Lady was on about hating!

• James December 10, 2013 at 1:11 am

I agree with Ifeoma on thus one Africa Magic did start or…, Or is an english word that has a movie people stop being blind sighted! Its stated or publicly displayed. Whether or not they still have premiered it till date the movie is qualified! And as the last commenter said this isn’t Nigeria Africa Magic would not take a movie if it was qualified or if it didn’t meet criteria! Now if you want to make this more interesting publicly displayed doesn’t necessary mean premiered!

• young lady December 8, 2013 at 8:31 pm

People just open their mouth and say rubbish cause others are talking, @ the end with all this criticism that living funeral will surely win!! And all the bull dogs barking here will keep shout.read una no go read the ones way try read no gree understand,meanwhile some of them here saying the movie doesn’t qualify didn’t even see the commercials Awon smelos and for ur information the director of living funeral was nominated last year I guess africa magic appreciates hard work #am out

• candice December 9, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Lol

• Mutombo December 9, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Looks like you’ve all forgotten this isn’t a Nigerian but African award show. Nigeria doesn’t only vote. ;) For all you commenters that are sure of who’ll surely win. Nigeria doesn’t make the whole of Africa.
    Goodbye!

• Mayowa December 11, 2013 at 2:49 am

@Ifeoma,
    You see why lady was on about the hating because you are lady! You are also James. SMH. So obvious.
    Again, NO one is hating. Get a thesaurus to know the difference between opinions and hating.
    So 85% of the people on this are “hating”?
    Again, if you think that the movie qualified after all the comments you’ve read, and after my explanation, you not only have a problem with reading; you also have a problem with comprehension. Furthermore, even though the movie doesn’t qualify, it’s already nominated so let the matter die.
    You can continue commenting, seems like you have so much time in your hands. Good luck!