Chiwetel Ejiofor - Ok! Nigeria Magazine - February 2014 - BellaNaija 03

Chiwetel Ejiofor and his model girlfriend Sari Mercer are the cover stars for OK! Nigeria Magazine‘s February 2014 issue.

Sari has clearly been a pleasant companion for her beau during the awards season.

The British-Nigerian actor who plays Solomon Northup in Steve McQueen‘s “12 Years a Slave” has been on our radar since last year.

Presently nominated for an Academy Award (OSCARS), the actor is very much this awards season man crush. He has graced a number of magazines including Vanity Fair and Essence‘s Hollywood issues.

In the new issue of Ok! Nigeria, Chiwetel speaks on taking on one of the most daring roles in recent times, his hesitation, movies involving black people and more.

The new issue is currently available on newsstands.

59 Comments on Chiwetel Ejiofor & Model Girlfriend Sari Mercer cover OK! Nigeria Magazine’s February 2014 Issue
  • Diya February 6, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Stop this nonsense Bella. Just put on my head on that yeye woman’s body & you will have a solid good looking Nigerian couple. Chi baby, you need this chocolate in your life.

• Geebabe February 6, 2014 at 2:54 pm

It should have been Ejiofor alone.

• Diamond February 6, 2014 at 3:54 pm

I AGREE it should have been him alone unless you are sharing something about their lives togetther. She may be hot to him, but he’s the hot item now because of his last movie. Seem , to me you guy are trying to get a rise out of some black women. STOP IT.

• Carolyn Cecile Robinson April 12, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Sorry, I’m late with my comments, but I agree with you.

• Mademoiselle February 6, 2014 at 3:26 pm

“And when he gets on, he’ll leave your ass for a white girl”…

• Thatgidigirl February 6, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Ewooooooo hmmmmm!!!! wailing in isiala ngwa dialect!

• jcsgrl February 6, 2014 at 4:04 pm

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha no be only you oooo. Can I just say, “why cant he find a correct naija british babe to befriend like my pweety Ms Socially awkward? Shebi dem get plenty naija babes for London. Issoraight! We are watching

• Mz Socially Awkward… February 7, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Nwa nne m, my heart dey break no be small :-( Choi!! Where I wan start to compete na, see as bros don boldly declare his dating preference… As for Sari, carry go and may we not see any Heidi Klum & Seal development in this relationship.

• lovely February 6, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Why would a classy Magazine with Ejiofor on the cover cheapen their content by putting Toke (free internet gist) on the cover. I have now lost the zeal to spend my hard earned money to buy a copy….

• Father Noah February 6, 2014 at 3:53 pm

For the first time in my life i will type this – *sighs* ” These two DON’T look good/cute/perfect together”

Chiwetel my boy, you should have gotten a Beauty like Kate Middleton, or a Chocolate Beauty like Keri Washington.

• Diamond February 6, 2014 at 3:58 pm

What else needs to be said

• missme February 6, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Y’all need to calm the f down and leave him alone. Did you even stop for one minute to consider his happiness?, if she makes him happy then good for him. Relationships and marriages is more than just skin color , beauty or nationality. Chiwetel all I wish you is a long happy life and to everybody out there too, Someone that makes your home your safe haven. Someone that without fame or money will love you anyways. Someone that will fight the world just to keep that beautiful smile.

• Uche Ono February 9, 2014 at 10:12 am

Happiness koh! Happiness ni! Do you know how many burrfiul, educated and SOLVENT British Naija babes there are that this fool could have his pick of? Yet – like so many successful blk men – he picks some ugly white girl in desperate need of a nose job. With there being 8 good blk women for every 1 blk male there is NO EXCUSE for a blk man who loves his-self and his community to bring home something like this. This man has got famous from playing blk roles – supported by blk ppl – and talks regularly about the discrimination his family faced in 80s Britain but now that he has money/fame it has gone to his head – like that ugly mumu Seal – and he has forgotten the sacrifices of his family and repaid them by getting with this. Before only Jamo men suffered from this crazy jungle fever now Naija boys wan follow – kmt!

• Fashionista February 13, 2014 at 10:29 am

Come, are you okay at all? why all the insults left right and center? He can damn well date whoever he chooses. nonsense!

• Carolyn Cecile Robinson April 12, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Sorry, I’m late with giving my opinion. You need to shut-up. I hope they break-up. I’m tired of this…..?

• Diamond February 6, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Let me just say this. She on the come up. If you had checked her bio when they were first seen on the red carpet. She only had a few modeling picture out there on the web. Since the first sighting of her on the red carpet now she has more picture of her with him. So that telling me everything I need to know. She going to ride that puppy all the way to bank.

• Jay February 6, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Chiwetel taken? I am heartbroken. I love you but can’t see the hype about 12 years a slave. I don’t like brutality so i was browsing while my friend watched it.lol. Chiwetel, can I be ur backup girlfriend? Lmao

• Diamond February 6, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Well Missme, their might be a few upset ladies, but I’m not one of them. I always say same sex, same problem. Black/white relationships have the same problems as all black relationships. What I don’t like is, they are alway promoting the black/white couple as if it was the best thing since the beginning of time. I wonder why they never promoted him when he was with Ms. Harris. I believe he got involved with another actor of the current hue while he was dating her. On the other hand if that’s what it take for him to be happy I wish him well. Again, the story for me was the cover should have been him alone. So, I’ll stick to that.

• AVID BLOG READER February 6, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Obviously not all black men like them bootylicious.

• Diya February 6, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Why? Booties deflate over time. Brains do not. Black women should be proud of something other than their body parts.

• omada February 6, 2014 at 11:53 pm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Her February 7, 2014 at 8:30 am

Diya, if ur a guy would you marry me???? u just made soo much sense!!!!!!!!!

• whocares February 7, 2014 at 10:28 am

Don’t marry “Her”, her grammar is atrocious. lool.

• Adea February 6, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Ok Nigeria ! You call this a cover, you couldnt get them to a photoshoto, you had to make use of a red carpet photo, Hian!

• Turi February 6, 2014 at 6:40 pm

#GBAM# @Adea, thanks for taking the words out of my mouth. So Ok Nigeria couldnt get him to send them a decent picture seeing that he can answer their questions via email or over the telephone. OMG! Plus he is the star of the moment, i guess you dont believe he will sell the magazine or why have other people share the cover as well??? I’m disappointed jor!!!

• Eve82 February 7, 2014 at 2:16 am

I still have my doubts if he truly conducted an interview with this magazine.

• Diamond February 6, 2014 at 7:16 pm

I’m going to agree with Turi about why you used this Red carpet shot. You know these tpyes of thing get people energy going. On the other hand this picture is very telling . As I said before she trying to come up. It l ooks to me that she trying to steal his shine. If you did know he was the star. Looking at this picture one would think she’s the one that just finish this amazing movie.

• Sharpie February 6, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Why call it Ok Nigeria and then put the picture of a foreigner as the main picture and then stick tiny pictures of nigerians to the side? And Nigerians are buying these magazines? Absolute bullshit!

• NaijaPikin February 6, 2014 at 9:13 pm

All these small minded people commenting. In case you didn’t get the memo, relationships should be about LOVE, COMPATIBILITY and HAPPINESS. Some of you will never experience true love because you stay worried about what mommy and daddy will say, what society will say, what race, what class, what educational background, blah blah.

Don’t knock others because their definition of love doesn’t match yours. It’s called INDIVIDUALITY.

• Mz Socially Awkward… February 7, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Nna, cool down, na. I think a lot of commenters were joking about being upset, no doubt you’re aware that quite a few Naija chicks have been crushing on him for a while…

• Uche Ono February 9, 2014 at 10:31 am

Dating someone who is a different background to you doesn’t prove your not small-minded. I live in the UK – do you know how many Naija boys who have now gone kolo over non blk women? I don’t see how refusing to date someone unless they are non blk is any less r*cist than only dating someone who is blk. Being open is not the problem here it’s being so close minded as to believe the hype that the women who don born and raised you is somehow less than the daughters of men who seek to oppress you. You don’t see Jews running after Germans the way that blk men run after non blk women.

• Diamond February 6, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Obviously your mind is just as small as ours. You responded. LOVE, COMPAYIBLITY, & HAPPINESS MY A**. We live in a world of big dollars and what can you do for me. His british of nigerian decent. Please, tell me do you think she would be with him if she didn’t see $ sign and getting a boost to her career. I’m not downing her but less be real .

• Diamond February 6, 2014 at 10:17 pm

NaijaPikin, she’s laying be below the radar and waiting until she can produce that money ball. I have several white friends that is and was married to professional guys. After 1 or 2 kids they were out with Millions.

• NaijaPikin February 6, 2014 at 11:09 pm

And you know this because you live in her mind abi? Stop with the generalization, it makes life very limiting. You don’t know these people, don’t act like you do.

• SOLO ACT February 6, 2014 at 11:10 pm

black women are out of fashion. now if u are A rich/ famous black man JUST DATE A WHITE WOMAN.

• adea February 6, 2014 at 11:38 pm

Explains why everybody and their sisters are struggling to yellow.

• omada February 7, 2014 at 12:34 am

Some of the comments we make when we see a black man with a white woman tho…If white people made half of them we’d all be crying ‘racism’. This is 2014, I do not for the life of me understand why people still make a big deal about interracial or inter-tribal (as in the case of some Nigerians) relationships. If someone chooses to be with someone else, regardless of skin colour why should it be an issue?.
    And at the risk of offending anyone, I am going to say this, some of these comments just display some sort of low self-esteem, e.g ‘oh, he’s with a white woman, is he saying we aren’t good enough?’. Why must that be the first thought in your head? Why can’t it be ‘oh, they must make each other happy’ or something similar? Because a lot of us deep, down inside carry this terrible belief that white people are superior to us and this is what manifests itself in our bleaching epidemic for instance. So we see Chiwetel or Mikel with their white girlfriends and automatically think, ‘of course, she’s white, we aren’t good enough’. Its the same reason your fellow Nigerian will see you with a white dude and automatically assume that you must be a prostitute, because the only reason the almighty oyibo can ever be with you is if he’s paying for your body. We need to take a step back and diagnose what’s behind most of our reactions to things like these.

David Bowie, Robin Thicke, Robert De Niro, George Lucas, Luca Orlandi, Olivier Martinez, Bill de Blaiso, William Cohen, Adam Housley, Justin Chambers, Michael Fassbender, Chris Noth… what do all these men have in common?

People need to quit acting like Chiwetel is committing some grave atrocity, live and let live biko, life is too short, if na oyibo go give you joy and peace, go for it. :) As for me and and my house, we are proudly #teamswirl. No time.

• whocares February 7, 2014 at 10:26 am

Team swirl.. Amen to that! loool

• Mz Socially Awkward… February 7, 2014 at 2:18 pm

But did anyone actually say anything along the lines of [to paraphrase] “he doesn’t think we black women are good enough?” etc, etc.?? Again, I reiterate my statement above that we black Nigerian women who see a black Nigerian man that appeals to us in an attractive way, are entitled to “covet” him, if you will. I don’t see anything wrong with having a preference for a black man if that’s the kind of person you, a black woman, would like to end up with.

Which means that when a black man who ticks the right boxes wanders into our line of sight, it’s normal to hope that he’s also looking to have a black woman by his side and when that hope is disappointed, it’s normal to be a little disappointed about it (as long as you don’t go all stalker crazy and start sending hate mail or anything).

And I didn’t realize Michael Fassebender’s with a chocolate sister… alright, then! My crush for him as well has now grown new hope :-)

• Donald-Landon February 7, 2014 at 4:12 pm

I doubt Omada is saying you shouldn’t have preferences. Then to your question about if anyone said anything in lines with “he doesn’t think we black women are good enough?” etc, etc.?? ” I see plenty of comments that ring along those lines. — Did you miss the first comment that was made by Diya
        “Just put on my head on that yeye woman’s body & you will have a solid good looking Nigerian couple. Chi baby, you need this chocolate in your life.” or the one made by jcsgrl ““why cant he find a correct naija british babe to befriend like my pweety Ms Socially awkward? Shebi dem get plenty naija babes for London.” or the one made by Father Noah “For the first time in my life i will type this – *sighs* ” These two DON’T look good/cute/perfect together. C’mon who is this one nawwwww? All these white models are bad luck oooo, didn’t you learn from Seal. Am not impressed at all. There are a lot of other comments along the same lines that Omada mentioned but I will stop here. What do you think could be inferred from those comments I have listed up there. If your preference is a black man or black woman – there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. However, the problem lies in when Nigerians look at or make snide remarks at black folks who are dating or married to someone outside their race -like as if they committed some gruesome unforgivable crime. When it comes to relationship and marriage: do you and let other people do them. Everybody with their own individual choices and decisions.

• Ada Nnewi February 7, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Team Swirl, Swirl and more Swirl!

• fay February 17, 2014 at 12:15 am

I agree with your commit totally, but why does this make me feel there are no black women good enough for him? There are so many women of color that embraces so much e.g beauty, humility, smart, etc.., yet he chooses someone out of his race. I don’t like it, but that is his call.

• rubies February 7, 2014 at 8:02 am

Omada! A million likes for Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊! That’s all

• ahubi oklobia February 7, 2014 at 10:01 am

good for him. hes an old man,he should go and marry….

• Fabulicious February 7, 2014 at 1:38 pm

You all should allow Chiwetel ooo.Na him choice. I watched an episode of Lala’s full court life when a full fledged black man said,he will go for a white girl anyway because most blacks girls are full of drama and bad attitude.That aside, everybody with their individual choices.Its all about love,no be so???

• Diamond February 7, 2014 at 5:48 pm

You know ! instead of throwing shade at each other and who prefer what race. I don’t think we would be having this type of conversation had the magazine done the right thing. Did there research, got a real interview so you could have the rights to Mr. Ejiofor’s photograph instead of copying a red carpet event like most credible magazine.

• Uche Ono February 9, 2014 at 10:41 am

• DIamond February 9, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Thank You! Unche Ono. Black mothers and sisters of these men’s feel that way only they don’t express it, for fear of losing their sons, daughters, and brothers.

• Victoria March 2, 2014 at 3:05 am

True talk. I’ve heard that from a mother of a thirty something year old black man married to a white woman. She said the daughter in law makes her suffer. The son had financial problems and his mother in the end sold her house to help him….yet the daughter in law is always hostile and never wants her kids to see grandma…why

• Lola February 9, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Let’s not pretend that most black guys marry whites cos they feel it is part of them been seen to arrive.how many famous white men run after black women?haba.let’s call spade a spade.love can be from every colour but why are more black guys chasing white women and very very less white men are chasing black women.

• DIamond February 9, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Sorry, Uche Ono for the misspell of your tag. Not to get so personal , but my mom excepted but real didn’t like it for reasons I stated. We the sisters could no longer have just a simple innocent lunch date with our brother after the marriage or anything else. She took total control so me longer have a great relationship with our brother. I wasn’t,t about status or money because we have all done quite to the point we care of I moms needs but it not the same. We did not add a family member and new experiences we lost a brother.

• Diamond February 10, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Is there anyone who may have read how they got togather, because I knew of his acting way back to Amistad , Dirty Pretty Things, etc. He’s away wanted to keep who he was dating under wraps up until 2011. Now, that he’s getting the reconigiton that he rightfully deserve all any of the magazines can talk about is his porcelain skin grilfriend. Before you start calling me racist that’s how the magazine describes her after the Telluride film festival in 2013. So the media want a certain community to know she was white so prehaps the relationship was arranged by his handler. If you seen any of the video of them arriving or leaving an event she looks like a fish out of water. It’s like she’s never been in that enviroment before but if she’s this model/actress wouldn’t she be comfortable in that setting. Hmmm! just wandering. I saw one picture of the two of them where that particular source cut her out of the picture and the comment was made ” we had to cut her out she all over him” as if someone was going to spirit him away.

• Alexa March 3, 2014 at 4:36 am

This woman is a nobody. She has one IMDB credit for a film nobody ever saw and apparently she’s been in some commercials for beer, so I don’t know where Chiwetel found her, but she seems to be a prime example of a white girl who brings nothing to the table hooking up with a black man who is making it big. The only shots of her by herself that I have ever seen are on her own website, and just as an aside, here in the states, when a woman claims to be a model and actor and you can’t find any proof of that, it basically means that she’s pretty and she’s unemployed. I was totally cool with the Seal and Heidi Klum thing because both of them were successful in their own right, but Sari Mercer is no Heidi Klum.

• Tony March 3, 2014 at 8:33 pm

as someone said black women are going out of fashion, black women don’t help themselves by complaining about black men going after white women when they are wearing straight hair upon their normal head of hair what is that all about?

secondly they are not as fit as white women or even sexy as white women they lack the ability to even exercise..if black women did more f or themselves physically instead of putting on weight all the time maybe they would still remain in fashion lol

• Melonin May 18, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Sad, so sad….Brothas have completely lost their identity….this is getting out of control. It’s like a self-hate defense-mechanism to glorify and put these non-sisters on a pedestal.
    These moms and sisters have to feel a certain way. But one thing is for sure, SISTERS, ITS NOT YOUR FAULT. Don’t let people like “Tony” above and the black men themselves, tell you differently.

He’s from Nigeria and London, too. Sad, so sad…

• Wendy24 December 11, 2014 at 6:15 am

Alot of black british male are catching this disease that jamicans have and its leaving black british girls with no choice but white or to going back home to find a husband. I understand marrying them for papers and other things but for real no way. And his from older generation i beg he needs to stop anyway we see this all the time in uk uncle have naija girl outside grilling fish n making pepper soup for him to eat. He should come off that man he aint about that life. Fake media bullshit his from east london that place is packed with black ppl n most blacks there are 80% nigerians