Dencia claims Lupita Nyong’o “Lied” about her Letter from a Fan

Lupita Nyong'o & Dencia - March 2014 - BellaNaija

Ever since Lupita Nyong’o gave her beautiful speech on black beauty at the Essence Magazine luncheon in February, Cameroonian pop star Dencia has slammed her for mentioning her brand – Whitenicious.

“I received a letter from a girl and I’d like to share just a small part of it with you: “Dear Lupita,” it reads, “I think you’re really lucky to be this Black but yet this successful in Hollywood overnight. I was just about to buy Dencia’s Whitenicious cream to lighten my skin when you appeared on the world map and saved me.” Lupita read out at the event.

Dencia later took to Twitter to call out the Academy Award winning actress.

A few hours ago, Dencia shared on Instagram that a rep for Lupita reached out to her and told her no letter was sent.

Read

The Media has told their version about how the Lupita Dencia ish started & claimed it was Dencia when I didn’t know this woman until she mentioned me & I can Authoritatively tell u she lied about the letter, someone who works in her Camp reached out to me & told me the was no letter & the story was made up after I said I didn’t know who she was.

I know u guys are like why I’m I still on it but I was really disappointed when I was told she lied, I was really hoping the’s a letter,the person in her camp who reached out doesn’t wanna go public but the person said it In front of me & 2 other people. They read about me, I am doing charity work, building and orphanage and she has nothing charitable going on so standing for a cause she can’t even ever fight n Tryna come 4 me is total BS,u wanna talk bleaching but u are smiling ur eyes off in pictures with Rihanna?smh make up ur mind on a cause n fight for it woman by the time I turn 31 which is 6yrs from now,come back let’s talk. I rest my case & done with this topic!!!” she said.

What’s your take BellaNaijarians?

117 Comments on Dencia claims Lupita Nyong’o “Lied” about her Letter from a Fan
  • eve March 7, 2014 at 11:30 am

Dencia you need to slow down… admit for once that your withenicious of a product is a bleaching cream … And as for Lupita smilling with Rihanna whats the link??? Im lost. If Rihanna is bleaching what do you want Lupita to do? Not to smile at her?? wow! Infact your response shows imaturity and lack of knowlegde please!!!

• ivy March 7, 2014 at 12:27 pm

u spoke my mind ………. she is just immature

• As in, she takes immaturity to a whole new level
        Dencia Wants You To Know Just How Dumb She Is wp.me/p4lNPH-3m

• Denica is right May 16, 2014 at 10:26 am

IF LUPITA IS AGAINST BLEACHING, THEN why is she the new face of LANCOME which also makes SKIN lightening [#BLEACHING] products????????????????

• Rick March 7, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Rihanna is not bleaching. She is the same colour as her siblings and father, all of whom are light because of their Irish grandmother. She looks darker sometimes when she tans and lighter at other times when she’s been out of the sun and in cold weather for too long. That is completely different from Dencia, who is, quite frankly, delusional and should make sure she hasn’t given herself skin cancer.

• Shao March 7, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Dencia’s topic is not a discussion for smart people. Maybe we shouldn’t be giving her such publicity.
        Ahhhh yes rihanna has gone shades lighter. Watch her MTV punk’d video (With Ashton Kutcher hope i spelt that right) when she was a lovely sweet descent child. She was like 5 shades darker. Anyways that’s her cup of tea, just felt to state the fact and back it with evidence.

• toodles March 7, 2014 at 3:27 pm

True. Riri is not bleachin @shao. Go and watch her recent music video monster wit eminem. She is 5 shades darker. How can u pple be callin camera effects bleachin na wa o. I flare my nose for u.

• Author Unknown March 7, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Not that I’m backing Dencia’s statement in any way, but Rihanna was never this ‘bright skinned’ when she started out. Granted her father looks somewhat mixed, and her mother very dark-skinned, but her complexion isn’t one that appears natural. It’s either bleaching, make-up or powder, or a combination. We all know what half-castes look like haba, and she’s not even one.

• Shao March 7, 2014 at 4:57 pm

PLS GO WATCH HER PUNK’D VIDEO FROM WHEN SHE WAS NEW AND PROBABLY LESS OR NONBLEACHED AND THEN COME BACK AND FLARE YOUR NOSE AT ME AGAIN @ toodle. Her bleaching however, should not stop Lupita from hanging with her. Like I said its anyone’s personal choice to bleach or not to bleach. Na dem get their money and skin.

• Ameena March 20, 2014 at 12:53 am

but what baffles me is that Rihanna doesn’t even bleach

• Hurperyearmie March 7, 2014 at 11:31 am

Na wa o Shoooooooooooo

• Nonnie March 7, 2014 at 11:32 am

I must say Dencia sounds ridiculous, she is looking for unnecessary attention. no class at all

• AK March 7, 2014 at 11:33 am

This Dencia girl has issues, seriously!

• Annie March 7, 2014 at 11:35 am

I usually do not comment on blogs but Dencia surely has issues!!!

• suneme March 7, 2014 at 11:36 am

Dencia is a talentless attention seeker who is best ignored. She”s not even worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence as Lupita. Let’s stop giving this woman free publicity ejor

• ti March 7, 2014 at 11:36 am

stop beefing her Dencia

• nonye March 7, 2014 at 11:37 am

LOL! Dencia please keep it cute or keep it on mute!

• Nonso March 7, 2014 at 11:39 am

I’m sorry, who is Dencia? Really! I keep hearing her name but I’ve never heard a song or seen a movie. What does she do, bleach for a living?

• Tiki March 11, 2014 at 8:15 am

Looool #WhyEvils

• Seun April 26, 2014 at 2:02 am

Ha ha ha. Lmaorotfl… best comment I’ve read so far…’bleach for a living’, that’s priceless. I’ve never heard any of her songs either and BTW, she just wanted us to know she’s 25, rubbish!!!

• blaisefan March 7, 2014 at 11:45 am

Bella Naija, it is very sad that you are letting this personality utilize this platform to try and clear her name, Dencia is an obvious liar. Afterall didnt she not lie about her nationality. Why would Lupita be threatened by a relatively unknown person. YES this story is gossip worthy. Please dont give this child any more attention. She needs helps.

• Bella March 7, 2014 at 11:45 am

Dencia wack as her wack a** product. Get a life chika!

• Bimpe March 7, 2014 at 11:52 am

I am doing charity work, building and orphanage ………….hahaha Dencia the fibs people tell themselves . SMH

• Onye Ara March 7, 2014 at 11:52 am

BN has bigger issues for giving this girl space.
    Please move unto more important and coherent issues.

• Miss Gidi March 7, 2014 at 11:53 am

LOL…her music isn’t that great anyway…she needs to stay relevant somehow

• poisefreak March 7, 2014 at 11:54 am

I dunno, but for right minded people reading the text below the texts… does Dencia sound coherent? Does she sound sane? Does she sound like we have to keep paying attention to her BS? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO . I am sick and tired of having to be exposed to the remote effects of the hypo-go-wipo syndrome, a.k.a , bleached brain, a.k.a Whitenecious by Dencia…. She should just shut up.

• Derry March 7, 2014 at 7:30 pm

hypo-go-wipo. you are hilarious

• kp March 7, 2014 at 11:56 am

lmaooo @ “by the time I turn 31 which is 6yrs from now”, is she trying to tell us she is 25??? Dencia, Dencia , Dencia, how many times i call you..lolol

• sigh March 7, 2014 at 11:57 am

Why give this megalomaniac media attention… Reprudencia Sonkey, you have no talent, no sense and definitely, no class. Please, keep your creams to yourself and stop trying SOOOOOO hard to be Lupita’s friend. YOU WILL NEVER BE. You are a groupie and that’s where you belong.

• spinky March 7, 2014 at 11:58 am

dencia take several seats and get ur life!!!!!

• chydee March 7, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Baby Dencia please grow up!

• Tiny March 7, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Well, dencia is getting the publicity she wants, she is being featured on blogs. Irrespective of the fact it’s for b.s! If blogs boycott all her cries of wolf, she would be the irrelevant person she is. No publicity is bad publicity!

• aseye1 March 7, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Dencia just wants attention!!!! Please be generous. give her a little

• Ada March 7, 2014 at 12:14 pm

She has just admitted to evry1 that shez shallow and immature in thots & acts. In other words, she used her own hand to kill hersef. I rest my case.

• @edDREAMZ March 7, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Am very sure nobody told dencia anything. She is just lying… lupita shouldnt have mentioned her name though when making that speech….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• Tinkerbell March 7, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Yea I don’t think it was necessary or appropriate for Lupita to mention her name or product in her speech. Professionally it is not done…now im wondering why she did it. Even if this speech was impromptu, Lupita is intelligent and exposed enough to know that you do not throw brand names/people’s names around, especially when you have become a personality of consequence…except in cases of endorsements/brand ambassador things…now im wondering why she did that…i’m not trying to support Dencia or anything. I am jut pointing out that it seems as if Lupita ended up calling Dencia out, directly or indirectly. If she mentioned a bigger cosmetic brand, there would be reactions as well…maybe even law suits… She could have just said the person was considering buying a bleaching cream…
      As for Dencia, as long as your cream is selling what do you care, right? Speech or no, Lupita or no, people will always bleach…relax girl.

• Phatgirlzbwinninh March 7, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Lupita simply shared a “letter” she received from a fan. She did not condemn bleaching or Denecias product, she just promoted self love…last I checked, that is a positive message any day. Denecia needs to take a chill pill, she got free publicity and some google searches. Lupita is on cloud Nine right now, as African women, we should all be celebrating her achievement and not throwing shade. Denecia, stop saying u did not know who Lupita was till she mentioned you…u do not live under a rock. I personally, am proud of Denicia and the success of her product as well…she is catering to a certain demand in our society (bleaching), no one can fault her for that or be mad at her hustle either.

• Zinny March 7, 2014 at 6:17 pm

My thought exactly.

• Splendid March 7, 2014 at 12:17 pm

This Dencia of a girl must be daft because of the kind of response she always gave about issues. She doesn’t respond to issues as a celebrity should. So she is just 25 years as she claims and look this old, I wonder how she will be when she turns 31. Am just wondering.

• Bossom March 7, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Stupid girl. Trying to sell her wretched product by hook or crook, as if Lupita is going to be suffering skin cancer with you in the future. And you know you’re over 31yrs old but you decide to lie about it as with your fake body n cream.

• D'Mamma March 7, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Hian! Dencia why are you throwing a tantrum about this now? This is so childish…

• ivy March 7, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Dencia just wants attention ……

• i no send March 7, 2014 at 12:33 pm

dencia is saying she is 24??? lol

• lulu March 7, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Den…whattt?sounds very childish#attention seeker…nt makn sense at all….

• Bimpe March 7, 2014 at 12:36 pm

omg dencia needs to go and have a seat in the far far corner. the speech didnt even take any jabs at u, so why are you fussing. please leave it and stop trying to make yourself relevant in attacking Lupita, the woman obviously doesnt care.

• Tee March 7, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Dencia strategy is cheap publicity stunt,but the US hypocrital media gave her audience.Before whitenicious was Rihanna, Monique,Dianna Ross,Lil Kim, Keri Hilson,can’t remember her name now,the girl in One on One,have you guys seen her lately,Nicki Minaj, Tonto,Rita Dominic b4 she toned it down recently,OmoT, and others.I bet these guys didn’t use Dencia’s product so y are they singing her praises as if she introduced bleaching to the world.I know abt some Clarins product too that does the same work as whitenicious and Vantex cream clearly states on it ‘Bleaching cream that is a US brand ppl.Don’t be fooled by cream that says they lighten hyperpigmentation,na the same bleach them dey do e.g Meladerm, and all the ‘derm’ products from U.K and U.S.As for Dencia,kudos cus you achieved your goal by cheap publicity stunt.

• Dlapikin March 7, 2014 at 4:28 pm

What US Media are you refering to? except for when her product came out and when Lupita mentioned it, no US media has been following her. She is just making the most noise she can to milk this as an opportunity for self promotion. Who is checking for her? If BN, Linda etc had ignored her I bet you half the people commenting here would not be checking for her… We are sorry victims of slow news day.

• ivy March 7, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Umm sweet heart. You can’t talk about the white man owning anybody when you clearly are trying so hard to look like them. You aren’t happy in your own skin (figuratively & literally) So you tell me who’d the slave. Nobody knew who you were until you bleached your skin. And trust, you are only known for that.Lupita gets my vote any day of the week.Oh & the world knows her for her talent as an actress & her natural beauty. So have a seat.

• Nominee March 7, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Dencia shey you must get a bit of this spotlight? Shey the Lupita craze don too much? As she first mention your name, no be to make the best of it? Nne biko God bless your hustle, this spotlight must beam on you o!

• Ebony March 7, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Dencia girl take several seats jor! But you are a sharp girl keep using Lupita’s name to get you recognized in circles which you may have never been recognized and FYI Lupita’s twitter is handled by her PR team so keep waiting for Lupita to reply

• Babytohcute March 7, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Still childish at 25! You have an issue, talk it out with her and not write it out. Writing never makes it easier, it only escalate things.

• Bukky March 7, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Dencia or whatever it is you call yourself now, get a life and leave the lady alone. Don’t try to milk her for fame.

• lara March 7, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Dencia you are sooooo pained girl, please let it go…shey ur product dey move now eh na wa ooo, we know your doing a charitable work aunty you haven’t started your just building, you don’t need to rub it in our face for us to know what your doing…For your inform if you watch her interview with CNN African voices she mentioned she’s helping people build their dreams and also Rihanna isn’t bleaching, get that into your thick skull mtcheeeeeeeeeew not a good excuse babe jabor joor….

• winnie March 7, 2014 at 1:13 pm

she said she didnt hear or knw Lupita Until Lupita mentioned her….LOOOOOL. Ghetto!! Everybody knws Lupita honey, and i mean EVERYBODY! Even the Deaf and blind knw Lupita. Silly thin!

• teamHASSANI March 7, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Exactly! She’s a silly little girl this Dencia + Daft. She doesn’t know her mate that she would think she can just mention Lupita’s name. Silly!

• honeypour March 7, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Dencia oooo!!! All I see in ur pix and dis ur stupid whitenicious is Cancer! U think lupita isn’t fightn for any cause right? I’ll tell ya: she just saved d girl dat sent her a letter from getting cancer of the skin. Punk!

• sarah March 7, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Before I even read the article,let me just express my anger to BN! Why wld u put lupitas pictr next to dencia? And give dat dencia gal attention? She was sounding like an illitrate,read her tweets

• teamHASSANI March 7, 2014 at 1:27 pm

First of all, I find this incredibly insulting that dencia or whatever that is, has he name in the same sentence as Lupita! Please who is dencia? Or rather; what is a dencia? Who is a dencia? I’m confused.

• blaisefan March 7, 2014 at 1:35 pm

As stated before, this child does need help. I was actually shocked when Ebony magazine gave her an interview. She sound like a moron so its not surprising that they referred to her as a “buffoonery” in response to her insulting Lupita. Sure she is getting featured on international platforms but they are not praising her. They are for the most part condemning her. What good is that? Is it really worth it to ruin your name for 15 minutes of fame. The public is generally quick to forgive and forget. How this will alway be her claim to “fame.”

• metche March 7, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Dencia or whatever you call yourself, whether Lupita lied or not the message has been passed out. It is good to maintain your natural colour. Bleaching cream is not good. Pls get that into your head. You should promote a good course.

• Blaqgurlrock March 7, 2014 at 1:43 pm

This babe is just jokes, even if no such letter exist, do you actually think anyone will take your side, my dear Lupita please continue slaying and forget this non-entity

• MOM March 7, 2014 at 1:44 pm

pls stop using lupitas success as a platform to advertise ur white maggi,alum and sulphor . otootooo like u .

• Cool cat March 7, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Na wa o. Dencia the ghetto fighter with Liz gavy is now famzing with Oscar winners. If she is so pained she too should go on oprah to discredit lupita. I can’t even believe I am using both names in the same sentence.

Dencia claims to be educated and she thinks it is only by email that lupita can get a letter. When there’s YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and whT have you that people can send letters to celebrities. With all this noise she is making whithenicious which by the way is one of the most stupid names for a brand, will crash and burn.

• Miss C March 7, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Let me put this into perspective, it’s only human for us to defend ourselves when attacked regardless if the cause is good or bad (I’m sure Dencia is very passionate about this product). First there was no need for Lupita to mention Dencia name nor her products in her speech, there are some many products out there. Second Lupita, is in Hollywood and have a very strong team that works round the clock to keep her relevant and in the media, I wouldn’t be surprise if this speech was written by someone in Lupita’s team given the recent controversial about Whitnenious by Dencia, it makes a great subject for discussion. In future Lupita and her team should be mindful when it comes to name dropping and do their research on the person or product. Dencia is the kind of chick that will have a fight with God, if you are going for her, be ready. My only concern with Dencia is that she seriously needs to slow down and put some thinking into her action, Whitenenious was a bad name choice

• Cy March 7, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Thanks for saying the truth. Lupita should not hv mentioned her name or product or indeed anyone’s name, that’s rude, period.

• Troll March 7, 2014 at 2:05 pm

She was simply reading what the fan “supposedly” wrote to her. It’s not her fault if the fan dropped a name.

• Hannah March 7, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Lupita and her PR team should know better. Whether is a fan or non-fan who wrote the letter they should NOT have mentioned her name . period!

Its PR, c’mon something could always be done with spoiling a person’s name and product. Its just like attending an Ariel press conference and they read a letter saying “Dear Ariel, my name is Mrs Bello and using Sunlight damaged my washing until i found Ariel….” C’mon there is always a way to rewrite those stuffs without having any media harassment in future.

• Sabisabi March 7, 2014 at 2:21 pm

I agree. Lupita shouldn’t have mentioned whitenicious in her speech. It was uncalled for, she should have given her speech with making reference to any particular products as there Are thousands of products out there. I kinda believe Dencia about there being no letter for reasons I cannot place however I think Denica had taken this matter too far. I never liked Dencia from the days of Liz Garvey and her brouhaha.

• Hannah March 7, 2014 at 2:32 pm

@Miss C, thanks for speaking my thots.

Am reading the comments on BN. A lot of people are calling Dencia “Stupid, Notice me, childish” …. and all that. Am not supporting anyone (In such, i am more of a Fan of Lupita’s Stunning success ), but they are both wrong from both sides.
      Dencia is wrong for the childish social media attack, BUT Miss Lupita is VERY VERY wrong for mentioning her product and name in a public event such as Essence with alot of Important and powerful women in attendances. It was Embarrassing to her product and shameful to her name.
      Let’s all say the truth, if you were Dencia’s Sister and you both watched that program on TV you will be pissed, and i understood why she has all right to be upset.

So lets all try to weigh the situation before we throw insults on one person because we prefer the other (AS i said , am more of a Lupita fan), but Dencia has all right to be mad, but should handle the case with wisdom.

• Bling March 7, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Thank you jare. Lupita hit first and sh didn’t hv to call any name brand. She could have made her point without calling Dencia. Now Dencia is fighting back the only way she knows how and we are insulting her.

• Iris March 7, 2014 at 4:21 pm

It was over though. After Lupita won the Oscar it was over. Methinks Dencia didn’t like that it was all over and decided a good way to create more publicity was bring it back up and it worked! Whether or not we like it there’s space in the media for both of them. It’s just that Lupita will appeal to a classier and more sensible crowd and Dencia…won’t. It’s either that or she’ll appeal to people who appear sensible but secretly aren’t.

• slice March 7, 2014 at 5:42 pm

I have to agree. If it were an off the cuff remark, I cld understand the mention but this was a written speech so I think it shd have been edited to remove dencias name. That sd, I hope lupita didn’t make up the letter cause americans love to make a celeb and destroy that same celeb so she shd never dabble in making up stuff cause someone will have the txt or voicemail where that made up story was discussed

• MoD March 7, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Dencia, get outta here joor…..Are you trying to say you are 25??? Then i must be 60!!

• I send small March 7, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Bleaching did not start trending and being hated on just yesterday–it is something that we all know is frowned upon yet some people, especially some women, still do it. Until it is criminalized, people will continue to do what they do within the precincts of the law. Tanning is dangerous too and it has adverse health effects yet people still sun and spray tan. The same goes for bleaching yet people still do it. Some people are naturally darker than others and some are naturally lighter than others. Some people have longer hair than others and some have no hair at all. We are all individually beautiful and unique. Personally, someone with very defined african features that now looks white because of a bleaching cream looks very weird to me–to me, that is not beauty. But just because I feel some type of way about something does not give me the right to prove how bad something is by calling out another person–that’s unnecessary behavior. Johnson and Johnson now produces Ambi, a very famous bleaching cream and there are a thousand more other bleaching brands both in the African and Indian community. This isn’t something that started just yesterday and so to make all this noise, going on a witch-hunt against a new brand, one of many in the bleaching cream industry and one of a few (if not the only one I dare say) that is produced by an African person…this makes my tummy turn a little. I do not advocate for the purchase of these creams but I do promote purchasing goods made by Africans and whilst it maybe wrong to purchase bleach, at least it is produced by an African. Most of our bed sheets are produced in Asia. Does an African person produce the bins we use? Even Maggi stock cubes are produced by Unilever (former Niger company, the company that was involved in slave trade with the British government in Nigeria)…So, let’s try and start trying to see beyond our noses. Let us let everyone be as long as being not mean breaking the law or harming your neighbour.

• Jane Public March 7, 2014 at 3:26 pm

You either stand for something, or you fall for anything. Your comment is all over the place, you sound like someone who is trying so hard not to let us know that she is bleaching herself. You will promote any product made by an African, even if it is baby food that kills for example. Hey I am free to use that example, whether extreme or not because bleaching too is extreme, permanent and harmful.
      There are reasons why people kick against products and their manufacturers. People have kicked against tobacco companies, kicked against cosmetic companies for using products derived from animal testing, People have kicked against the fashion industry for using slave labour in Asia. Even Scarlett Johansson was removed from being an Of sth sth spokespoerson because she was in an ad for a company that supports the war in Gaza or something along those lines. So y’all should just shut it about this Dencia thing. It is because we worship money in Nigeria, that is why some people can even remotely defend Dencia. No conscience. As long as the person is making money, wetin concern you. No social responsibility, no awareness.
      The examples I made above, provides customers with awareness, then you can decide if you want to put your money in the pockets of people with no scruples. Many people don’t buy Nestle products, designer clothes, Loreal products, I can list till tomorrow, becaue of the corporate practices of the companies involved.
      The term Fairtrade which is benefitting farmers in Africa came about because of people campaigning against unscrupulous companies which pay people peanuts and reap billions of profits. Campaigns hit them where it matters the most, their pockets and many of them felt a drop in profits and changed their business practices. Which brought about the term Fairtrade and has made a huge difference to the lvies of farmers in Africa and Asia. That is what speaking out against ills in our sciety can do, and not turn a blind eye.
      Whether bleaching creams have been in existene is 17BC is irrelevant. Dencia is using her so called “celebrity status” to sell toxic products, well that same media should be used against her. Dencia can make and sell any other cream now, why bleaching cream?
      I see that many of you don’t understand the far reaching effects campaigns against products can cause. Google is free, do some research and stop being ignorant. I am actually glad Lupita called her out, because she is the kind of person that should actually. Who should call Dencia out? Is it the Association of Bleachers that are rife in Nollywood, or it is their sister club amongst the Black community in Hollywood, who would. Who actually has the moral standpoint to call Dencia out, really? She should just be grateful for the free publicity and shut up. I am guessing the fumes from her bleaching cream has muddled her brain.

• I send small March 7, 2014 at 11:59 pm

I sense a lot of anger from you and I’d like to caution you to please calm down. I don’t believe in personal attacks–I’m not petty. I do not know both ladies personally and I try to be as impartial as possible in making decisions. I don’t bleach either so don’t make senseless statements–work with what you know about me (which is nothing) and stop guessing. Both ladies in question are African females making Africans all over the world proud. I would suggest that a more classy and lady-like way to go about attacking the bleaching issue is to address the problem–bleaching–and not one person–Dencia–who happens to be an African female producing something that goes to the economic empowerment and development of the small pool of African females that are actually business investors, innovators etc. I take exception to the attack of black female investors. And yes, money is important, no dey do dulling dulling. Only a dullard would think that economic empowerment is not one of the most important things in this world. Even the Bible states that money answereth all things. And before you make another illogical assumption, let me save you from yourself by telling you that no, I’m not Igbo but I admire Igbos for their awareness of money and its importance in the world. Black people, a lot of us, are still living in this LaLa land where we are too polite and reserved about how we feel about money. We need to be race-minded and know that until a majority of us Black people are rich (plain and simple), we will continue to be viewed as the poor step-cousins of the rich and developed western states, our international friends will be few and our development will continue to crawl even in old age (many years after independence). So, do I support African investors? Yes. Do, I support Lupita or Dencia? I support both. Will I change my views? Fat chance.

• SisiRomi March 8, 2014 at 5:33 am

Wow I send small… Very delusional retort. You are all over the place and Jane Public did not sound angry to me. You did. You were the same one who complained about Unilever, yet you are the same one propositioning for making money by any means necessary. I support female African entrepreneurs, however I refuse to support one who is putting lives in danger by having carcinogenic products on shelf. Not everyone is aware of the effects of bleaching. The young girl who wrote the letter to Lupita will see the product as a means of getting lighter but might not be aware of the repercussions of such action. I know I’ve been there before… Did it for 2 weeks before my family discovered and told me scary stories of overly bleach people and watched videos too… The one that scared me was if God forbid, you get in an accident, they won’t be able to stitch you up. That was enough to appreciate my brown skin. If you want to support a fellow female entrepreneur, support sustainable businesses.

• janey March 9, 2014 at 3:11 pm

SOME Education in your comment

• AA March 7, 2014 at 2:37 pm

It is only on the internet that a body cream seller will attack an oscar winner. Na wa o

• Jane Public March 7, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Please help me ask her o. They say the internet is a leveller. if I didn’t get it before, I sure do now. Lupita Nyong’o will make up a letter about Dencia. There is nothing I won’t hear. Very chuffed the girl won sef, because that moron would have had nonsense to write. Building an orphanage indeed. Thunder will soon fire her mouth very soon

• AW March 7, 2014 at 2:43 pm

This Dencia girl gives herself too much credit!

• miss anonymous March 7, 2014 at 2:46 pm

But Dear Denica… Who are you though? *crickets*

Instead of sending for Lupita (as you claim she is doing to you) you need to sit yourself down, with your bleaching cream, and send someone from your ‘camp’, to that ‘someone’ in Lupita’s ‘camp’ with a thank you note! She just GAVE and MADE you relevant hunnie (for a short lived 5 seconds). Letter or no letter.
    PS: If your product has bleaching components in it, which I strongly suggest it does from the name, then Lupita has provided you with free marketing because perhaps, she too thought it would work. Moral of the story; ‘dont bite the hand that feeds you’. It was better you made no comment!

• Dindin March 7, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Lol.. What is this am reading? As in who is this girl advertising her charity work and attacking her personally for her age and bringing in rihanna.. I mean this reeks desperation and kinda confusion. My girl lupita just won an oscar, she is on a high and enjoying the pecks of her success. Instead of her to pay homage, say congrats and move on, she is using someone’s who is new in the hollywood scene to promote herself. Lupita can mention her name if she wants to illustrate the madness of bleaching. please lupita don’t reply to this girl.. And why is this news on bella? Never heard of this girl till last week and it was for the wrong reason– skin bleaching… Anyway the hustle is real. But girl get it together ASAP!!!

• mary March 7, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Den Den, pls take a seat somewhere far away and stop using Lupita to seek cheap attention, the world knows her name for her talent, but i don’t know what u re known for, oh attention seeker, i forgot. and by the way, what is the connection with Lupita smiling at Rihanna, that shows how shallow you are, you sound pained anyway, we all know that nobody in Lupita’s camp told u any shit, you just want to be relevant.

• no heart to hate March 7, 2014 at 3:30 pm

She can’t even write Properly. I laugh in Urhobo lolz

• Author Unknown March 7, 2014 at 3:49 pm

I MAINTAIN Lupita should have never brought up Dencia’s name. She could have brought up the topic without mentioning names. Afterall, bleaching creams come a dime a dozen in Africa (Lupita should know, LOL). Dencia has just shared (and likely profited) in Lupita’s fame for free!

• missy J March 7, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Na wa ooo so you all don’t know that a product which removes dark spot got potentials to bleach??# common sense isn’t that common#. That girl who sent the letter is a GOAT(if at all she exist). Dencia have stressed that the purpose of the product is to clear hyperpigmentation and not to bleach why the heck will she turn its purpose the other way round? We are all here castigating her cream as if we haven’t tried at some point to get rid of spots we got from childhood diseases eg measles,chicken pox also pimples,heat rashes, dark kneels, elbow and armpit. There are some BN readers who will scream whenever they see pix of girls with dark kneels, I remember one advising Genny Nnaji to use an exfoliant to brighten her dark kneels. So please what’s the difference achieving that purpose using anyother product out there and using whitenicious?

• Lyrics March 7, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Eerrmmmm……You might wish to change that to “knees” ma’am.

• Jane Public March 7, 2014 at 4:57 pm

and the bleachers club try to justify their actions with the lame ass excuse everybody uses it. If everybody jumps over a cliff, it is okay right? Stop consoling yourself with those words because trust me, when the feedback comes, everybody won’t suffer it with you. Well you just typed kneels instead of knees and no missy, that wasn’t a typo, that is how you say it. Little education for you this friday, it is Knee, as in K-N-E-E.

• missy J March 7, 2014 at 5:18 pm

hahahaha thanks Lyrics and Jane for the correction but it was actually an error . And No I don’t bleach in fact I love being dark skinned but I was merely stating the obvious and Besides I dont see any crime trying to clear pigmentation to attain an even skin tone

• #notableachingfan March 7, 2014 at 4:05 pm

anyways i blame the people that buys her product… what rubbish!!!!!

• Love me Love me March 7, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Dencia is seeking cheap publicity and you are giving it to her. Her method is by trying to drag Lupita down .
    A little advice to her. Now that Lupita is a money making machine and is making people oodles of money, she needs to watch out. Those people, NOT Lupita, will shut her down.

• gia March 7, 2014 at 4:38 pm

O_o she sounds so dumb….

• Dee March 7, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Dencia,Dencia,Dencia!emeelo nimo pe e?Let this matter slide really.this is an arguement u won’t win cos I doubt if Lupita will give u an audience or reply.Lupita’s comment or not,those who will bleach will cos its an individual choice.We are warned about d dangers of smoking and drugs but everyday someone picks d habit.Its not a good thing butpeople will always have their preference.Controversy sells a brand at times,u should be smart enough to know dt.its not rocket science now..shut dt wordhole on ur bleached face and bask in d free publicity Lupita just gave ur brand.kmt!

• olori Tari March 7, 2014 at 5:23 pm

I actually don’t know if Dencia’s whitenicious does bleach the skin, if you use it strictly for what she states it is for. But I will stick to her claim because no one has come to say otherwise. So, my question is why is this causing so much “brouhaha” ? Is it because it clears spots ? And if you overuse it, it turns to something else, just like almost every spot remover…because truth be told, even funbact A can bleach your skin. Yes, if you use funbact A too much, you skin would start to change. Can we all just relax till we see the prove that its primary purpose is to bleach the skin ? That being said, Lupita shouldn’t have mentioned her name, it’s actually sad that her point would have still made so much sense without the name calling. And Dencia, this happened weeks ago, allow it rest..can’t believe we are still having debates about this.

• My two cents March 7, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Bleaching or no bleaching.. Lupita should not have called out names!!!

• Chiamaka Ansah March 7, 2014 at 5:48 pm

A respectable blog will NEVER compare the two side by side and post a topic on what dencia has said or her irrelevant comment – which is hogwash. Matter of fact its actually disrespectful for someone with the caliber of Lupita to have her picture side by side with this useless girl. NOW ALL OF A SUDDEN THE HIEFA WANTS TO GET FAMOUS FROM LUPITAS SHINE, IT WONT WORK YOU TROLLOP – IT WILL NEVER WORK.

• omada March 7, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Can blogs stop giving this bleached out, doppelganger of Michael Jackson’s alien version attention?

• Youhearditherefirst March 7, 2014 at 6:28 pm

We’ll word on the streets of Los Angeles is that Dencia is being investigated by the FBI for violating online sales regulations. Her website has no address or phone number. Plus she has been reportedly evading taxes while overcharging her consumers for shipping and taxes. This is fess off the press. That heifer called Karma is very consistent sha

• Tindo March 7, 2014 at 6:42 pm

please who is Dencia?

• Tee March 7, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Dencia=Odensin

• Dee March 7, 2014 at 9:31 pm

I don’t get y people keep saying calling Dencia’s name was wrong.Its normal for u to call a brand name along with the product e.g Chanel No 5 or RayBan Aviators.we all do it.In dis case,it is Whitenicious by Dencia.y is dis one different?when u put your name on a product,expect to be called out when the product is mentioned.If the product was getting positive reviews all over,would you have faulted anyone for mentioning Dencia’s name?when u choose to be controversial,develop a thick skin too.simple!

• babes March 7, 2014 at 10:06 pm

First of all leave Riri out of this Dencia, second of all how on earth do you know that what the “people” or “person” that told you Lupita was lying was not just looking to gain something out of this ? Third of all you talk about doing charity and all that which is good but you’ve not even won awards especially an oscar. so get ur facts right.

• A3 March 7, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Can we please shut down this whole topic? It is not necessary.

• TC March 8, 2014 at 8:07 am

LMAO madam, sell ur bleaching cream and take a chill pill. So u 24? Hmmmmmm interesting! Let’s pray u r alive till then, cos. The rate at which ur bleaching is going, in 6yrs, u myt be darker than lupinwa! Read abt her ok? U don’t come close in any way dear! Background, education, eloquence, poise….the list is endless. as for charity work, take a back seat babe, it’s nothing to scream about! It’s only natural to give back! We all do it, and jst cos u dnt knw abt hers, doesn’t mean she doesn’t hv one. U shd even be glad she mentioned ur cream at such a gathering with Oprah and other top women of repute. Oops! I’m sure u didn’t even watch the link!

• gh_Mk March 8, 2014 at 8:16 am

With all this exposure and with Lupita’s platform, I would be using this opportunity to market myself!! Dencia’s team are dummies! I would be freakin releasing tracks, putting out more product going hard!! Silly!! No exposure is bad exposure!!

• Stephanie March 8, 2014 at 9:21 am

This Dencia gal tho…mscheeeew

• Pat March 8, 2014 at 4:33 pm

shes just mad she looks like -.

• coco March 8, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Please who is dencia? I’m lost o! What does she do? Which part of the world is she from? Has she featured in any movie or musical videos? If yes which one? Seriously who is she?

• Mimi March 8, 2014 at 10:11 pm

What does Lupita taking happy pics with Rihanna have to do with bleaching??? Did Rihanna bleach?
    I think Dencia should have a seat. Not sure whether this letter is real or not, I wasn’t aware of it… But when it comes to relevancy, Lupita wins in this case. She’s on a global/Western celebrity status now. And other than (Bella) Nigerians/Cameroonians/maybe other Africans, who really knows who Dencia is? I mean I myself barely know her, and that’s only because of BN that I know of her. I guess we can say that Lupita gave us Americans a curiosity to find out who this Dencia is.

• Alferio March 9, 2014 at 9:34 am

Honestly Densia, sometimes it’s good not open your mouth and people start doubting the kind of person you are. So, your in charity…..building an orphanage…blah…blah…!I don’t think you woke up one day and decided to build an orphan, you started somewhere. So, go slow and think about what she might do when she gets around it. Secondly, what does smiling with Rihanna has to do with all this. So, I don’t like the idea of men wearing studs, should I not talk to them too? Oohh, by the way, you realise that Lupita is not responding to all this trash talk. I don’t know how you feel wasting you time on a something so trivial like this. Get a life……and continue bleaching. You are what I call “African version of a blond”.

• Toolzz March 9, 2014 at 8:36 pm

God bless you Alferio, seriously i think everyone should just chill sef…I mean, even though Lupita talked about Densia’s whitening cream she did not slander the brand in any way. Densia should be happy that Lupita even recognized her brand enough to put it in her speech in the first place. That was a beautiful speech, why can’t we all just move on and get it going. Life is never that serious!

• Tiki March 11, 2014 at 8:30 am

looool. The wind has blown, and guess what we can see?

• MumBi March 12, 2014 at 9:43 am

So if the letter was in praise of Dencia’s product ..would it have been wrong to mention it then? or still in bad light? If there was a further interview and Lu mentioned that she uses the aformentioned “brand name” would that have been in bad light or simply answering a question.
    Cool, Lu has something Dencia doesn’t have -clout. The letter did not mention the product was bad, just the author was considering buying it. People think twice about buying things all the time so Dencia should quit with the foolish tantrums because her product was not maligned, just one (out of many) decided to spend their money elsewhere.

• Katy bellbrown March 12, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Why are even still on this topic?? Lupita is an African queen : Oscar winner; an epitom of grace and Beaty ; who is dencia again ? Dencia please ; there is nothing u can compare with lupita darling; take ur grievances elsewhere ; the best part about it all is that lupita hasn’t responded to any of her lunatic comments or post ; now dat is wt i call maturity ; dencia or creamcia or dancer or wtever dat name is ; Js an advice( chew some ice cubes , takw ur pills n take urself to the doc to get tested cuz the rate at wc ure bleaching, u better not turn up white like Micheal Jackson :n she dare claims she hasn’t bleached her skin; she says it’s the weather condition making her this light skin ;;; wow #world most renowned liar : while lupita is receiving applause n awards, dencia will be receiving certificates for world most craziest liar n cancer promoter: I rest my case;

• Seun April 26, 2014 at 2:15 am

I’m sure Lupita doesn’t even know who Dencia is or even WHAT a Dencia is; she probably thought or still thinks Dencia is the name of the whitening cream, otherwise, she might not have mentioned her… hee hee hee. Hey, I’m not even sure who she is, a person or whatever. BTW, why is she blowing her own trumpet telling us about her charity works? Doesn’t make us like you more or less, booooo.