Every movie role, PR stunt, red carpet appearance in the past 12 months has led to this moment—the 2016 Oscars red carpet, where it literally rained supremely gorgeous celebrities draped in diamonds and slinky silk dresses on the red carpet. Literally Hollywood’s who’s who all stepped out with only one thing in mind—to slay or be slayed—and ultimately make it to the very top of every best dressed celebrity list there is, and yes, some have graciously earned our #BNStyleStripe, while others, not so much.
Below are our best dressed celebrities at the 2016 Oscars.
9. Cate Blanchett: Cate looked dreamy and whimsical like a character off a Disney animation in her heavily appliqued sea blue Armani Prive number. Cate supplements with diamond drop earrings, bracelets and ring. The appliques kept the look fresh and youthful—which we most especially love about this look.
8. Jennifer Garner: Structured look had little dominance last night, except in a few cases where Ms. Garner knocked every single contender out of the park. She kept her shoulders bare with a neat up do all packed to the back and drop earrings. C’est chic!
7. Olivia Wilde: Choker plus pleats have never looked this good before. Olivia served major boob game—tastefully though—while infusing her signature high fashion appeal to this risqué (albeit hard to pull) Valentino Haute Couture dress.
6.Megalyn Echikunwoke: Nigerian-American TV actress and now more popularly known as Chris Rock’s new girl friend made her Oscar debut like a seasoned Academy award winning super star actress. For most people, their first major red carpet appearance is usually their worst, but this starlet has proven that you can put your best foot forward even at a mega event like the Oscars, and truly, she did not disappoint. We love the disheveled hair, the all white cut out number and most especially that cuff-like stiletto, we can give anything for them!
5. Jennifer Lawrence: J.Law is always a red carpet delight—this time, she decided to take the edgy route with no less a power house designer than Dior Haute Couture. She looked resplendent in her layered lace number which not only complemented her body but also did magic to her complexion, especially with the blonde bob she had on with her barely noticeable Chopard jewels.
4. Charlize Theron: Charlize can literally do no wrong in our eyes. This red Dior Haute Couture number on Charlize is like a diamond on a diamond ring, which literally mean nothing. She kept it simple with her make up and hair, but some how missed the mark with her super pricey Harry Winston diamond neck piece. If she had walked that carpet without that neck piece, Charlize would have definitely contended for our best dressed lady with the lady Gaga. Over all, Charlize still shines through even brighter than her $3.7 million neck piece which in our books is a huge triumph for her!
3. Daisy Ridley: Moments like these herald the coming of age of a style star, and this, is no exception. Look at those delicate embroideries, imagine the man hours, craftsmanship and jewels put into it—definitely unimaginable. Daisy brought all that value to life as she looked absolutely poised, confident and fashion forward in something that would have either looked underwhelming or overwhelming on another person. She above all brought youth, vitality and her signature pizzazz to this classic house of Channel Haute Couture number.
2. Rooney Mara: Where to begin? Ok, there are starlets and there are stars, and then in really really rare occasions there are superstars. Simply put—Rooney Mara looked every inch a super star in her head to toe sheer Givenchy lace dress. She gave it a super edge with her sleekly packed bun and burgundy lip stain. We adore Rooney’s look for pushing the envelop and yet staying within the bounds of functionality.
1. Lady Gaga: Yes, it is true and cliché – but indeed, we did save the best for the last. Lady Gaga has proven once and for all that it takes literally the barest of everything for everything else to work to perfection. And For Lady Gaga, we imagine this being her most tasking red carpet appearance of all time, and as we imagine, stripping it all down (the drama, eccentricity and constant cry for attention) to this crispy white number is indeed her biggest style moment of all time and for Gaga, that must have been the most excruciatingly difficult thing to do. We absolutely applaud the minimal makeup, the old Hollywood glam-bombshell-esque hair and most of all her $8 million worth of Lorraine Schwartz jewels. And without a doubt, there can only be one Gaga, and last night—for the first time, she proved to be a Lady too!