Onyeka-Onwenu1After serving for over two years as the Director General of the National Center for Women Development, legendary Nigerian singer Onyeka Onwenu penned this open letter describing how tribalism played a part in her time at the agency, as well as in her termination.

When the call came on September 13 2013, to serve the Nigerian people as DG National Center For Women Development, I took it as a call from God and I answered in the affirmative.

I served for two years and five months and did my best under very difficult conditions. We hardly had money to operate and the place was badly run down. Worst, there was low moral and lack of commitment among the Staff. Most spent the day loitering and gossiping. Many would not show up for work or arrive 11 am, only to leave before 3 pm. Some were absent for months and were just collecting their salary at home.

My administration changed all that. Most staff were turned around and became passionate about the work, appreciating also the changes they thought were not possible but were happening right before them.

There remained though, a remnant who felt that the Center was their personal preserve and that the position of Director General should only go to someone from their part of the country. I was initially dismissed as just a Musician. When that did not work, I was targeted and abused for being an Igbo woman who came to give jobs to and elevate my people while sidelining them. When these detractors could not provide answers to the spate of improvement we were bringing, they resorted to sabotage and blackmail. The first such salvo was fired when a Senate Committee visited on an oversight mission a few months after my arrival. All three Generators at the Center were cannibalized, overnight, just hours to the visit.

We got over that incident and trudged on. The rest of our activities and accomplishments, modest as there is public knowledge. I have never in my life been an unfair person. I never favored any group. I carried everybody along. But I did not put up with deliberate incompetence and a refusal to learn, an attitude of entitlement which some people displayed. We brought back a level of professionalism and commitment to deliver on our mandate. Without these attributes, the Center would have fallen apart.

When the call came for me to disengage from the Center, I took it in good faith and with thanksgiving to the Almighty, Yes some stakeholders were upset and tried to make a case for me to continue. Their effort was a testimony of God’s grace on my administration, but I also knew that it was time to go. God who sent me there was taking me to a higher level of service. His infinite wisdom is unassailable. That is my faith. Besides, I was exhausted and had abandoned many personal projects to devote myself, 200% to the Center. The abuses and lack of cooperation from a mother Ministry, from those who felt that the Center overshadowed them, to the extent that they tried to discourage others from working with us, were just a bit much for my comfort. I did not lobby for the job in the first place and I was not going to lobby to keep it. I actually looked forward to leaving. But some people were going to exact their pound of flesh.

They organized some staff, mostly Northerners, invited the Press and set about to disgrace themselves. By mid afternoon, while the Heads of Departments were putting together the handover notes, they seized the keys to my official car, even with my personal items still inside. Threats began to fly. “That Ibo woman must” “we will disgrace her”. Their Chief organizer, the Acting DG, went about whipping up ethnic sentiments against me. Late 2015, the same officer had gone to the Center’s Mosque to ask for the issue of a Fatwa against me, claiming that I was working against the interest of the North. We nipped that in the bud by calling a townhall meeting and asking that proof be provided. The Fatwa was denied and peace reigned for a while.

Police was called in to the Center to escort me out and avoid blood shed as I disengaged. Eventually, in the midst of insults and name calling, with an angry baying crowd, some of whom were brought in from outside, I entered my official car and left. At no time during this melee did I threaten to sue Mr President for asking me to disengage. Why would I? Is it not within his authority? Even if it were not, is the Center my personal property? I had done my best and if it was time to go, it was that simple. Life continues. I had a thriving career before my appointment. The Center did not make me. I have so much to do. I am a multitalented, multifaceted and multitasking child of God. By His grace, the future is greater. So what is the problem?

Let me say here that The Federal Government should really look into the Parastatals and take note of the fact that many people who work on them do not have the requisite qualification. Many contribute nothing and many see their job as personal entitlement. They are owed because Nigeria belongs to them and them alone. Somehow, these people were given the impression that they could attempt to do what they did to me and nothing would happen. That is very sad indeed. The Ministry also has a case to answer. They helped to create that impression. A situation where the Ministry could invite a Management Staff to a trip abroad without informing the DG and the Staff would only inform her principal via text message, from the Airport as she is leaving the country, creates an atmosphere of indiscipline and anything goes. The Ministry should restrain itself to its spelt out function and not undermine the authority of the DG.

Finally, I declare that I am a Nigerian citizen who should enjoy the rights attendant to that privileged. I am Onyigbo and proud of it. I respect myself and I love and respect all for who they are. We are all God’s children. No one has the right to insult or abuse me or deprive me of my rights. Nigeria will not hold unless and until we all come to that realization.

Thank you and God bless.
Onyeka Onwenu (MFR)

Former DG NCWD

107 Comments on “I was targeted and abused for being an Igbo woman” – Onyeka Onwenu on Tribalism and her Termination
  • keke driver February 18, 2016 at 9:39 am

I read the article and didn’t think it was necessary, last time I checked She wasn’t the only DG that was fired,….abegi

• Eseosagie February 18, 2016 at 10:57 am

• Wale February 18, 2016 at 1:10 pm

Bunch of rubbish coming from pomposity and self over grandiosity. Was this not the same woman door mat for Faka johnathan? were these not the same people that brought the country to were it is? how did she reform or contribute to the betterment of the Nigerian woman during her tenure? Is a position in a parastatal in any country not political? What makes her think she is permanently entitled? Shouldn’t Onyeka have resigned the day after she disgraced herself and her office by forcibly dragging and beating a woman out of her government issued shop in Abuja, just because she wanted to re issue to a PDP mama Faka supporter? I think the celebrity has over inflated her head. She should jejely just clear out and move on. Bringing ethnic sentiments just so people can feel sorry for her just won’t cut it this time. We as a people have gotten wiser and can see through people – Users!

• Jules February 18, 2016 at 2:26 pm

Thank you to all my Bella Naija commentator for not allowing this woman to confuse us by using ethnicity as a defense. Love yah. We would not celebrate mediocrity.

• honey omo lekki February 18, 2016 at 2:54 pm

So, everybody in the ministries, up to your second in command, who finally became the acting DG, are against you, that kinda says a lot about your person.

Even if the hausas, are against you, the ibo and yorubas there nko. Madam, with the level of hatred you garnered there, you are lucky you came out unscathed

• Damilola February 18, 2016 at 5:16 pm

@keke driver

Whether onyeka is using “tribal card” or not, let’s also pay close attention to detailed things happening in Abuja. northerners and their stupid entitlement. Their superiority attitude with nothing to offer. These people think Nigeria belongs to them and can do whatever they want. Also, think their religion Islam is freedom to put others at uncomfortable painful circumstance is ludicrous. I experienced a Muslim Hausa guy who chose to pray instead of doing his job while there was a long line waiting to be attended to. Or is it the ones who refuse to dress professionally to office instead wear kaftan with the worst armpit smell ever. Then control everybody. They are nuisance. They lack protocol, structure, respect and common morals. Then they hide under nonsense humility when they are the devils themselves. Most of the corrupt leaders who ruined Nigeria are from the north yet power keeps going to them. Now that their own is in power has given them more pompous, grandiose attitude. People say Yorubas are tribalist, well ignorance is their problem they haven’t dealt with a northerner especially Hausa/Fulani guy one and one in a “professional” or close setting.

• blueivy February 18, 2016 at 9:55 am

pls Ma, before premature firing tell me exactly what u did for the igbo women in your former appointment as the DG of warrever? all i could remember about u then was ur lack of seriousness ,gallivanting from place to place doing unnecessary music for GEJ re- election. what are your achievements ? that’s all i want to know. infact u were better off fired. the booing u experienced is little compared to what i would have done to u if i were there. ordinary praise singer.

• blueivy February 18, 2016 at 9:57 am

how many times did u visit the IDPS? JUST ONCE WITH R CREW

• Glo February 18, 2016 at 9:57 am

Oh please with all due respect….Shut Up!

• MrB February 18, 2016 at 10:03 am

Just another day in the life of an average South Eastern civil servant

• Ada Nnewi February 18, 2016 at 10:05 am

This woman’s attitude stinks on every level…I have had personal encounters with her and she is arrogance personified…by the way madam, your dismissal is not a tribal issue. Other people from different tribes were asked to go so keep it moving….

• kadara February 18, 2016 at 10:31 am

Thank you jare, she should stop with that tribal nonsense.

• i no send February 18, 2016 at 11:41 am

@ Ada Nnewi chop kiss abeg…you need to see how arrogant and rude this lady was when coming to get contract from an office because she had a note from aso rock ..She is trying to put a tribal spin to this matter but she was not the only igbo lady heading a parastatal she was not liked at all by her sub ordinates nothing to do with tribe

• Y February 18, 2016 at 3:50 pm

If I was the president Onyeka Onwenu would have gone long before now. Because if you supported my opponent as shamelessly as she did I’d have difficulty trusting you, even if you’re a native of Daura.
      But Onyeka didn’t question Buhari’s decision to relieve her of the appointment. She said: ‘At no time during this melee did I threaten to sue Mr. President for asking me to disengage. Why would I? Is it not within his authority? Even if it were not, is the Centre my personal property?’ The villain in the article is the acting DG, not the President that sacked her. But anyone can choose a part of the article they want to take away.
      She addressed salient issues. She probably didn’t spill every detail because the treatment she alleged she received pales besides what really happens. I’m sure there’s no honest civil servant in Abuja who would disagree with most of the points she made. Actually, one doesn’t have to be a civil servant in Abj to understand. Being stuck in traffic because someone parked his car in the middle of the road to pray happens every Friday. That’s like the least of the ethnocentric abuses you would experience on federal or public facilities. And this one still happens because the F.C.T minister allows it. When Elrufai (northerner and Muslim) was at the helm, you dare not try that nonsense, they no born you well. Even the emergency Mami market that spring up every Friday near the mosques was halted.
      I think every forward-looking Nigerian leader should read and meditate on the penultimate paragraph of this Onyeka’s article. Therein lies the problem or solution to many challenges we face. The issues we are scared of addressing might just be the most important ones.
      It’s just unfortunate that when someone says they are proud of their tribe, however benign and harmless, people express their ‘disappointment’. When the person denies their tribe, however pretentious or selfish, they are called patriots. Shallow!
      I don’t care if Onyeka lost her job. I expected it to happen long ago as a matter of political expediency. But before you abuse her, ask yourself these questions- what could make Onyeka publish the details of the maltreatment she got because of her tribe? What does such a woman who is more Nigerian than many fake blog visitors intend to achieve by making these facts public? Whatever the answer may be, it can’t be because she wants to excite sentiments in her favour. She doesn’t need that.

• Hugo February 18, 2016 at 4:15 pm

Well spoken

• jamila February 18, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Please…Do not be an apologist for that arrogant PRAISE SINGER of GEJ and Mama Piss. She got what she deserved. DGs of every ethnicity were sacked. Shameless, trying to wrap herself in sanctity. Bread Eater.

• Oduawan February 19, 2016 at 10:04 am

I totally agree with you. I think many people are missing the point here. Agreed, Onyeka may have her own issues as a person BUT has she been able to bring to the fore some salient points? I’d say yes!
        We shouldn’t write off her comments because these things happen in EVERY STATE not just in Abuja. If you work in certain Lagos state establishments as a non Yoruba speaking person, you will experience similar treatments from your colleagues. Infact you can’t rent an apartments owned by some landlords if you are not yoruba.
        Nigerians should grow up and learn to embrace other tribes. This isn’t really about Onyeka Onwenu but a disease we’ve got to fix in this country

• sammiewolf February 19, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Waagbayi. Nothing left to say!

• Tunde Akinpelu February 18, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Ada you have said it all in simplest manner. Wheeping up tribal sentiment seems to be an excape from the reality surrounding her removal.

• betty chioma February 22, 2016 at 11:20 pm

please tell us of one of your personal encounters

• me February 18, 2016 at 10:06 am

so sad, in my office here in abj, the only people that dont come to work, come late most times and dont work are northerners, they are too lazy and and aggresive, they think Nigeria belongs to them,

• Fani February 18, 2016 at 10:38 am

You are nothing but a bigot

• Different Shades of Nigerian February 18, 2016 at 3:13 pm

No she is not. It is easy for you to come on bn and throw bigot around. She is saying the truth. I went to a Uni closer to the North than South so my school was filled with Northerners. This people have been told and conditioned to believe Nigeria belongs to them. They live it and act it, I grew up with Yorubas and Igbo, going to school with these northerners was huge cultural shock for me. Screaming bigot is easy but based on my experience I believe this post. That said I am sure it is not only Northerners that come to work late but while others may do so fearfully, Northerners will do same with arrogance and pride cos they own Nigeria

• ‘Deola February 18, 2016 at 10:50 am

Abeg make I ask which ministry, abi na parastatal or agency be dat? And who is the oga patapata for the place? Since when dem don stop to dey come work ? Shey na when Buhari enter, abi dem do am when Jonathan dey dia?

• TheExceptionalOne February 19, 2016 at 11:48 am

Thank you very much Deola. These your questions too make sense. If them no gree come work, no be Oga Patapata go sanction them? Who stop am from dishing out queries and carrying out other disciplinary action? When Oga Jona was in office why didn’t she bring all these things to the fore? Why now? If she’d been in office for another year or two, would we have heard all these things from her? It’s unfortunate that when things are no longer in her favour, that’s when she decides to point out issues that were affecting the parastatal. Abeg, a sleeping dog cannot chase away burglars from its master’s compound.

• Cest Moi February 18, 2016 at 3:39 pm

Northerners of what tribe exactly? Because there are quite a few. Before you come on making sweeping grandiose statements kindly be more specific. Oh, and educate yourself on the proper use of punctuation and capitalization- all basic parts of written English.

• Craig February 18, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Do you know how many Ministries Igbo heads in Nigeria?

• Bola February 18, 2016 at 10:28 am

Here we go with victim mentality, many people say she has a lousy attitude. That’s the issue not your tribe, this reminds me of black Americans always using racism as an excuse. Madam what exactly did you achieve while in that position?…..silence

• NaijaOnly February 18, 2016 at 10:30 am

It’s so sad that someone I so highly respect will descend so low to ascribing ethnic bias to her being relieved of her appointment. Is she the only one sacked? How does she expect to continue to work with someone she so vigorously campaigned against (even to the point of outright abuse). PMB has been extremely magnanimous to have kept someone like her up to this moment. It’s a shame for Onyeka to be winning now. This her show of shame has only buttressed the fact that “not all that glitters is gold”. This woman has just gone-down-real-low!!!

• Moyo February 18, 2016 at 10:35 am

Madam, but it was not tribalism when you were appointed. everyone knows that Government appointments are based on party affiliation or who you know. we were not invited to hear how you got the appointment and now it has been taken away we don’t want to hear about it. During the Jonathan administration all the parastatals heads under the Ministry of Finance were from the South East or South South. Did we hear any complaints from South West or the North. Please.

• Hugo February 18, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Everyone knows ehe! And does it make it the right thing

• feyi February 18, 2016 at 10:37 am

Oh puleeeeez mummy! please dnt disgrace yourself now. *coversface. Mummy please dnt bring tribalism here now. we are one Nigeria. As far as I am concerned, you were only in d office to support and sing praises to d past government, you were not…. like….. erm…… relevant…. sorry ma but truth is bitter. I never saw where you genuinely supported the bring back our girls group as a mother and woman. Patience Jonathan’s bff! Madam you don chop enough go and rest. thank you.

• Becky February 18, 2016 at 10:45 am

She should shut her mouth. She has always mingled with all tribes, so what is all this rubbish. One of her children is even from a Hausa man. Onyeka please stop it. They sacked u just move on. You’ve made money and now it’s time for another person

• prince February 18, 2016 at 10:48 am

I live and work in the Nation’s Capital-Abuja and I’ve been here for 9years now. Sometimes, I just wish that Nigeria should just divide because of the attitude of most of these northerners.
    1. They’re Lazy
    2. They lack creativity
    3. They believe Nigeria belongs to them
    4. .Pride is their watchword
    5. They see the rest of us as slaves
    6. They stinks cos of the way they are. They are dirty (not all of them though)
    Imagine someone will pack at the middle of the road because he was going to the mosque. I have been trapped at the National Mosque for more than 2hours becos the people driving in front of me decided to park right at the middle of the road, bring out their praying mat, place it in front of their car and started praying. which person in his rightful thinking and fear of God in him would do that. Trust me, Nigeria is not ONE, let’s stop deceiving ourselves. Madam Onwenu is speaking the truth.
    Women Development Centre is very close to my office and former house, I lived at area7. Most northerners have made that place their house, turned it to a slum. Believe me, for us to move forward, we must divide. then everyone would sit up and build their nation

• Wale February 18, 2016 at 1:19 pm

I understand where you are coming from point wise – most nigerians know these about the northerners and their feelings of leadership entitlements, every ethnic group has there own peculiarities; but In this particular instance Onyeaka is being manipulative. When she was selected because of who she is or where she was from, it was fine, but now that she is being kicked out it is because of ethnic bias. She is delusional and herself, entitled.

• bodunrin February 18, 2016 at 2:42 pm

“I have been trapped at the National Mosque for more than 2hours becos the people driving in front of me decided to park right at the middle of the road, bring out their praying mat, place it in front of their car and started praying. ”

This made me literally laugh out loud. The funnier part is that it’s probably even true.

• Ngobeke February 18, 2016 at 4:15 pm

Honestly, very true. You don’t want to be caught on the roads on Friday at Mosque time

• Onyie February 18, 2016 at 3:00 pm

I’m with Prince on this. As someone else said most people commenting on this thread leave in Lagos and don’t know what happens in govt ministries/parastatals/agencies in Abuja which are flooded with people from the north as employees.

The northerners believe that Nigeria belongs to them because and i quote ‘it was their groundnut pyramids that led to discovery of oil and so a large chunk of the revenue should be allocated to them’. They believe that they should be the only one ruling the country.

I also experienced the blocking of the roads because it was time for their prayers and i was amazed at such a disregard for other people that were on the road and had places to be. Funny thing is that we – the others can’t say anything because of the fear of how they’ll react. Majority of them are violent trust me – not all of them but majority of them.

• jamila February 18, 2016 at 5:22 pm

SHAME SHAME SHAME on you for indulging in such ugly stereotyping. Northerners are this…Northerners are that….So, are the following statements true? Igbos love money beyond any morality. Igbos will bastardize anything for the sake of money, including all their traditional institutions. An Igbo man will sell Papa, sell Mama for money. To check if an Igbo man is really dead, shake a bag of money in his ear. Igbo are nothing but drug dealers. Igbo men kill their wives….I’ve heard it all and I’m Igbo.

• ao February 18, 2016 at 7:26 pm

You’re not Igbo.

• nnenne February 18, 2016 at 8:02 pm

Jamila…… How ironic. Igbos love money but go back in history .Who stole more from the Federal Government? You have forgotten those military rulers so fast? The same people who are still holding Nigeria within their grip. Whose only accomplish is that they defeated Biafra.
        Who grabbed more oil wells ??Who stole all the contracts as Abuja was being built? ??
        The same people who hate money.

FYI, most development in the south east are from the diaspora. Igbos live and work all over the world from African countries to beyond.

Problem with Nigerians is that they run away from the truth. Until we start being honest to ourselves, Nigeria will remain what it is….. business as usual.

• sammiewolf February 19, 2016 at 3:05 pm

ao, I can understand the difficulty you have in believing Jamilah is Igbo…you can’t imagine that an Igbo man can talk with sense and without tribal sentiments…abeg go sleep.

• Abby February 19, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Have you gone through Lagos-Ibadan express during Easter, Christmas or new year’s? Are those Muslims too?

• Eseosagie February 18, 2016 at 11:11 am

– PLEASE…. PMB is correcting GEJ’S anomalies and you maa’m happen to be one. Have several seats, THIS ISN’T THE MUSIC INDUSTRY OR YOUR PERSONAL PLAY GROUND.

• Eseosagie February 18, 2016 at 11:18 am

WOMAN PLEASE…. PMB is correcting GEJ’S anomalies and you maa’m happen to be one. Have several seats, THIS ISN’T THE MUSIC INDUSTRY OR YOUR PERSONAL PLAY GROUND.

• nnenne February 19, 2016 at 2:41 am

@Edeosagie… Don’t know why GEJ has to come into this. You know he is not Igbo right? Because am replying those you ran Nigeria to a halt and still claim they hate money and only Igbo man love money

As for PMB, correcting GEJ evils, I will reply you in 4 years time. Right now $1 is N400. Who is deceiving who?
      When Obama took over, a liter of gas was $5 in some places. Loads of people out of job, auto industry collapsing, wall street in the red. Two international wars in progress. What is the story now?
      Using GEJ, as an excuse will not cut it. Neither will singing “Karapsion”.
      You all need to get to work! !!!!. These days presidents work!
      We need creativity!!!

• Atinuke February 18, 2016 at 11:28 am

When you all work in a government office where you are not one of the majority tribe. esp when you are not from the north, you will understand what this woman is ranting about. I live in Abuja, I work for a govt agency and i am not from the north or east. But i knw what i face every day just because i know my job better than them.

Dont sit in your house and abuse her. Whether she was dismissed alone or with the rest, she is talking about what she experienced working in the mist of tribalistic people from the north occupying govt offices in Abuja

• kiki February 18, 2016 at 11:49 am

madam onyeka,so the other people PMB sacked are all igbos right?please get a better narrative.your ethnic sentiment wont sell.

• Angrynaija February 18, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Onyeka, you such an ingrate and a very selfish woman at that, you had the opportunity to hold such a position in the course of your lifetime, but what did you do, you squandered th opportunity. You did not make any difference in anyone’s life. You only enriched yourself, and of course you were at Patience Jonathan’s beck and call. You madam have just realised that you are Ibo, you were part of the campaign team that was gallivanting about abusing and insulting PMB. In saner climes you would have voluntarily resigned your position when PMB won the elections, but your type are too greedy to do that. For your information you were probably booed because you were nasty to your staff. You are not the only person that was sacked, madam deal with it, you had an opportunity to make a difference but failed woefully. Who were the people you surrounded yourself with whilst in office!!!!

• adanma February 18, 2016 at 1:25 pm

I lost respect for this woman when she marched for abacha. Such a power hungry person, never expected much anyway

• sammiewolf February 19, 2016 at 3:14 pm

honestly, I felt very hurt to see my Onyeka transform through the years…and it’s really sad to see intellectuals join in the Tribal Melee…I must say though that she raised valid points, just not in the right manner.

• Olu February 18, 2016 at 1:26 pm

Most of comments here actually kinda restores my confidence in the Nigerian populace. Using the tribal card when it’s convenient. People here can see thru the BS.

• Buharis Side Chick February 19, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Not so fast Olu. Most of the people abusing Onyeka here are under 25, who are still being fed by somebody, live outside the north and Hv never travelled beyond their states or are delusional and have no idea how the northerners operate. I laugh in Spanish when you people talk about one Nigeria. Which Nigeria? Only non northerners sing this one Nigeria anthem your average Aboki no send. For all they know, if you are not a Muslim northerner, you are an infidel and their slave. So, Pls. Relax and sing this one Nigeria if only you hv worked and lived in the North.

• To think that we are encouraging tribalism! February 18, 2016 at 1:57 pm

If you cannot see that the people being relieved of office are SYSTEMATICALLY replaced with northerners, you are blind. This penchant for tribalism is destroying our nation – it is the reason why nothing works, because the best man or woman for the job is not at that seat (whatever office it may be). And people are here insulting her for putting this out in the open? I

• A February 18, 2016 at 2:00 pm

Sad thing is many people commenting here are clueless lagosians.

Don’t insult this woman or call her names if you don’t know what it means to work in a government parastatal in Abuja. Just shut up!

She is saying what has been on the minds of many Nigerians for so many years. If she has decided to talk about it after she was terminated that’s okay too. It doesn’t take from the fact that what she has said is 100% TRUE and we NEED to talk about it!

I have also met her and she is not that arrogant please. Some people also have a sense of entitlement meeting celebrities in this country. She is human for crying out loud and get over yourself!!!

• jamila February 18, 2016 at 5:28 pm

She is ARROGANT. She marched for Abacha, for God’s sake! She was GEJ’s PRAISE SINGER. She showed no shame going around the country unabashedly campaigning for GEJ—prohibited for civil servants. Nothing from her about the Chibok Girls…Good riddance to bad rubbish….She should take several seats, abeg. Writing long letter to who???? Which letter she write when she dey collect money from Mama Piss?

• Tosin February 18, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Where will we start from?

Nobody should have to hear that Igbo woman, that Yoruba man, that small girl, that shoe-maker’s son or any such slur in a large group or official setting, but sadly, na so we see am.
    We oppress a lot.
    And we don’t trust one another.

• Na wao February 18, 2016 at 2:20 pm

Please ma, try singing “one love” again. but this time in Igbo.

• Truth February 18, 2016 at 2:37 pm

Some people are locked in perpetual victimhood. People from other ethnicities got fired too. While she has a point about tribal nepotism which is very common in all parts of Nigeria, she polluted everything by making it all about herself and her ethnicity. What did she achieve in all the years that she was in charge?
    Yeye dey smell.

• ForTheRightsOfMen February 18, 2016 at 2:44 pm

So 9 out of 10 of the comments here are anti-Onyeka. It does not come as a surprise. As a common citizen she was pro-Abacha and then as a civil servant (which by the way are not supposed to be partisan) she was pro-Jonathan all through the campaign. Is that – being partisan – against civil services rules and practices? Onyeka, please answer. Talking here about God and love and doing the right things. Abeg, whom are you deceiving. Are you seeing the returned loot from Abacha? And are you seeing the returned stolen money from Jonathan boys? I am not say that theft is going on under Buhari but we are talking about a leader himself. You follow Abacha and you follow Jonathan, then Jonathan give you job based on … only God knows but tribalism which disgusts you is partly what got you that job. We have no evidence that you did an excellent job at the women’s centre. So we will take your word for it. But please don’t insult our collective intelligence thinking that the best ethically minded and care-for-my-fellow-woman person for the job has been removed simply because she is from the East. That is not true. In fact, for publicly campaigning for Jonathan as a civil servant you broke the civil servant or political appointee rule and you should be fired. Did you see the head of BPE, NPA and other political civil servants or appointees take a partisan slant during last year’s election. 9 out of 10 of us have no sympathy for you. You laid your bed. Lie on it.

• Tutzy February 18, 2016 at 2:45 pm

I totally support those calling her out for putting a tribal spin to this. No be only she waka com(ot). However, some of the points she raised are valid and need to be looked at . Let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water.

• jamila February 18, 2016 at 5:31 pm

This particular baby should be thrown out with the bath water. And the bathtub. And the bathroom.

• BOO February 18, 2016 at 3:13 pm

• bimbo February 18, 2016 at 3:27 pm

The world is full of examples of muslims (moderate and extremist alike) refusing to co-habit in peace with non-muslims. The lazy response to this is to scream “Bigot! Racist!”, the cogent response is for muslims to soul search and adapt or relocate en masse to the Middle East and leave others in peace.

• Sadiku February 18, 2016 at 8:05 pm

Because Muslims in places other than the middle east are migrants right…..

• LostInSpace February 18, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Aunty Onyeka.. Don’t use tribe as an excuse, did you perform as expected of you? Everyone tries to hide under being racially abused when they are guilty.

• ngok February 18, 2016 at 3:46 pm

Madam GEJite, Assistant Patience Jona, pls go sit down & only open that your vocal culpability called mouth to sing which is what you can only try to do well in. You were given a post as reward for being follow follow to former first eleph…sorry lady. You bestrode the land like a small god thinking it would be like that forever,….carrying your turkey shoulders like nobody could talk to you. Always at rallies shouting pin din pin, yet you could not help your fellow Igbo women in any meaningful way….yet here you are using the ethnic card…..your share of the Dasuki loot will soon be exposed. Get set to return our money…..wobia.

• nene February 18, 2016 at 4:07 pm

she has a point. although she is arrogant, her message is the truth, and makes a lot of sense. the northerners destroyed nigeria, they are the reason why our country is a shit hole. if the british had given power to the yorubas or igbos, we wouldn’t suffer from all the injustice that has come about as a result of being ruled by northerners. which tribe is making money from inflating exchange rates and bureau de change? which tribe started the drug trade? which tribe does the most embezzling in nigeria? which tribe don’t know their job description? i’m not an advocate of a division of nigeria, but if we do divide, then it might be better. unfortunately, these northerners are here to stay and they won’t leave without a fight because they don’t really have much wealth. all the foreign aid nigeria receives goes to the north, yet what have they done to develop their states and their people?

• @ Nene February 18, 2016 at 5:51 pm

My answers to your questions:

which tribe is making money from inflating exchange rates and bureau de change? Northerners!!! They are one huge machine pretending to be numerous head banging people set on destroying the world.

which tribe started the drug trade? Northerners!!! Never seen a northern drug smuggler but your post has whipped me into a frenzy.

which tribe does the most embezzling in nigeria? Of course those bloody northerners! They always work in banks and every newspaper/blog article features one of them for having committed a crime. They take our women, jobs, fly in private jets, curse those northerners…

which tribe don’t know their job description? Northerners! They are all uneducated smelly Muslims living in a hovel, without running water or electricity…

Hold on, I’m a northerner and my post was tongue in cheek. I have never embezzled money, I know my job description and never dabbled in drugs or currencies so easy on the generalisation babes ?

• nnenne February 18, 2016 at 8:13 pm

@Nene… Am of the believe that the Northern elite knew and engaged in illicit drug business before the south. Hunny, do your research. Don’t just focus on the poor street peddlers! !!!
        We are talking of big time drug barons! !!

• @ nnenne February 19, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Of course you are. Where are your facts? References? Hell, I’ll take a made up story from the peanut seller at the end of your street.

And this your “believe”, when the north engaged in the drug trade who did they have smuggle it? Fellow northerners? Where did they smuggle it to? If you say your village you will have a convert in me.

bless your bitter black heart babes.

• Sisi_ February 19, 2016 at 1:20 pm

How can you accuse one tribe of destroying a nation singlehandedly? How shortsighted of you. I’m Yoruba. But first I’m Nigerian. Patriotism is pride and responsibility. Not pointing fingers.

• Hugo February 18, 2016 at 4:28 pm

This is what Nigerian politicians have reduced you all to. Playing mind tricks on you, turning brothers against each other, father against son, mother against daughter. Amidst this discord and confusion they loot, pillage, kill. Nigeria is a House of Cards, the electorate are the cards, and the Politicians are the players. Be wise for nothing

• Agboola Johnson February 18, 2016 at 4:33 pm

I had always thought and consider Onyeka Nwenu a role model to Nigeria woman. This your outburst is not only uncalled for but disgusting this period when some people are calling for Biafra.

• Chi February 18, 2016 at 4:42 pm

If you have never gone through Onyeka’s experience, just shut your mouth and listen. Better still, investigate to know if she is saying the truth. I would have been a widow if not for God’s grace and the help of an Igbo man in the North. My husband worked in the North as a medical personnel and when his salary was withheld for months for no reason at all, he met his Oga and asked him about it. Do you know what his Oga did, he called him the derogatory word that Northerners call Igbos and said who gave him the right to question him.

Few days later, he woke up in the morning and found out that his house was surrounded by young Hausa men who had matchetes and were calling for him to come out. His roommate(a non IGBO guy) had to go out and beg the useless animalistic idiots to calm down.

That night, the Igbo business men living the area advised him to pack his things in the middle of the night and leave immediately because the next time the animals come, they would surely kill him. An Igbo trader that had a bus drove him out of that town while people were still sleeping.
    He left without ever getting his salary but at least he came out alive. The Good Samaritan that drove him out of town in the dead of the night later had his shop burnt down.

You guys should continue to deceive yourselves about one Nigeria when different rules apply to different ethnic groups. My consolation is that the oppressed will not remain in that position forever. One day, monkey go go market, e no go return.

Who would have thought an African American will ever be the president of the U.S.? The same way, one day Nigerians will either devolve power or the different ethnic groups will go their different ways and for those that see injustice and oppression and turn a blind eye, may God help you guys.

• jamila February 18, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Hausa Moslems helped my family escape the massacre of Igbos in the North by other moslems, at risk to themselves. Good and bad belongs to all groups. Let’s stop the stereotyping. One anecdote is not empirical evidence against an entire group of people (Northerners) who are actually made up of different tribes. Not all Northerners are Hausa or Moslem. Not all Moslems are Northerners. Enough already.

• Chi February 18, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Jamila, continue dancing makossa on my comment. I narrated a personal experience and you have the temerity to tell me “enough already!”

My husband was nearly killed by Hausa Muslims for asking for his salary. Your family would have been killed by Hausa Muslims but for the intervention of another Hausa family. Do you see where I’m going…KILL IS THE KEYWORD HERE. Which other part of Nigeria are people easily slaughtered at the drop of a hat without anything being done to the killers?

I really don’t have enough time to waste on you and your likes.

Have a good day.

• jamila February 19, 2016 at 12:33 am

Chi, sorry, but I don’t believe your story. It’s a bit crooked. Seems to me you’re the one dancing makossa…sakossa…merenge…whatever. No matter what may or may not have happened to you, please stop STEREOTYPING whole groups of people. It is WRONG.
        And, to ‘Ao’ or ‘A’, I am indeed Igbo. My point about what I have heard said about myself and other Igbos is the same point I make about what is said about Hausas, or Yorubas, or whoever. Stereotypes constitute basis for discrimination and all kinds of hurtful acts against entire groups of people. Not kosher. Not Christian. Stay blessed, y’all.

• Sisi_ February 19, 2016 at 1:10 pm

The same way you nurse grievances against them, is the same way they nurse against you. Nobody is victimizing the other. We are all reacting to each other’s actions. Dont confuse human behavior for tribalism.

• Agboola Johnson February 18, 2016 at 4:47 pm

I had always thought and considered Onyeka as a thorough bred cerebral woman good enough as a role model to Nigeria woman. I’m disappointed. Your outburst is only disgusting but unhelpful this time of Biafra campaigns by Igbos

• Spectator February 18, 2016 at 6:00 pm

Heartwarming to see that Nigerians are no longer easily fooled by empty, dishonest and nastily divisive politicians who cynically play the tribal card for personal gain.

• nnenne February 18, 2016 at 8:22 pm

@spectator…. Pleas don’t rush to judgement. I have not taken anyone’s side. I don’t support or dismiss her allegations.
      My comments were only based on correcting some misconceptions.
      Again, do not dismiss her allegations and don’t support them either.
      Hope someone looks into it for future purposes.

• jamila February 19, 2016 at 12:25 am

The task at hand for Nigerians committed to cleaning up GEJ’s mess is way bigger than Ms. Onwenu. She should thank God she’s not being probed (yet).

• Sammie February 18, 2016 at 8:07 pm

That’s why i disliked working in naija. Lots of Politics and turf wars! At the end of the day the real Job ( What they are paid to do) hardly gets done. No progress is made in such a hostile environment.

• Suweddy February 18, 2016 at 9:54 pm

Crying over split milk is so unnecessary.As a DG onyeka had no respect for team members. Professionalism is different from arrogance. Onyeka is arrogance defined. You only need to have a 60second meeting with her to get a dose of her over blotted ego. She saw this coming. Lost my respect for her years ago. How are the mighty fallen!

• nunulicious February 18, 2016 at 10:09 pm

called a fatwa on her? Fatwa ke? i believe fatwa means they want to kill her abi?
    women wanted to do a fatwa on her? speechless.

• kilipot February 18, 2016 at 11:15 pm

If you aren’t working in the Civil Service you won’t understand. That she was sacked is another issue. But this issse of being discriminated against is true. I’m sorry to say, but the Huasas and Fulanis are a special breed. You need a lot of patience to work with them, the have a sense of entitlement and are very lazy. They will do anything to retain power.
    All Onyeka said up there is true, annd that is my reality. Annybody working with the FGN can confirm it.

• nnenne February 19, 2016 at 2:53 am

Kilipot… should the Federal Government start giving them security quotes then? Just like Boko Haram infested states? ??

• Chioma February 19, 2016 at 12:30 am

Ignore peeps are the worst kind of People. You claim hausa peeps are this and that yet you can’t stick ur stinking ads in ur miserable states. You are all over the north yet shouting biafra. So wat if we block the national mosque for prayers? You selfish idiots. They ignore the fact that many roads in Abuja are blocked on Sundays for service, just recently the chief of army buratai convoy was diverted from a road in Abuja because a service was going on. I have come to realise that igbo peeps have been so bitter since PMB took over power. You guys are not even accomdating at all,other tribes don’t even go to d east cos you guys are murderes, kidnappers, ritualist , hired killers and armrobbers to got d long story short you guys are DEFIANT to our great country. Even within your igbo community you discriminate one another, you don’t even love yourselves not to talk of loving other tribes.

• Chioma February 19, 2016 at 12:33 am

Nigeria belongs to all the tribes and it’s okay if the Hausa tribe flaunts it, instead of the beef you can also flaunt it that Nigeria belongs to you

• Chioma February 19, 2016 at 12:35 am

I hate igbos cos they hate Nigeria. You guys should hurry and move out of our country. Biko move to biafra in time abeg

• Chioma February 19, 2016 at 12:39 am

I made some typo errors in my first post if una like IGBO slaves make a big deal about it but the bitter truth is u understand the message.

• emeka February 19, 2016 at 3:46 am

I don’t know much about Ms Onwenu,i’ve only read a couple of stories about her in the new;howbeit all for the the wrong reasons.
    But thinking out from these comments, what kind of woman would be so closely linked to Abacha and Jonathan? Men who would comfortably go down into the history books as leaders who hurt Nigeria the most.

• Ben February 19, 2016 at 5:32 am

Madam just shut up and go home. Same you campaigned for who ? Mssssccheww your post is political and baba needs to fill that post with who ever he likes so far the person will deliver even better than you. Mrs tribalism.

• coke February 19, 2016 at 8:15 am

This is too cheap for a woman of your caliber.

• bluntist February 19, 2016 at 9:46 am

I respected you o. Onyeka. “I remember you singing one love keeps us together”. That song has shaped me into the man I am today. This is a new low score even from you.

• sammiewolf February 19, 2016 at 3:15 pm

as in ehn???… I listen to that song all the time!!!

• Godislove February 19, 2016 at 10:07 am

I just hope I’m not the only one that’s horrified by the level of hate a.k.a tribalism that is evident on social media blogs. Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. If you harbour hatred against someone coz of where they are from you don’t know God as well as you should. It is wrong and makes it easy for evil minded people to use you. There are evil people in all tribes just as there are good people from every tribe.which one are you ooooooo? BecaUse at the end of the day that is ALL that matters my people. Let us stop these attacks on each other it’s obviously not the solution to the myriad of problems that we face. I really am scared ooo. Scared for the future of my children that is if I ever have them, seeing all the hate floating around. Proudly #southsouth by the way. Attach stereotype here *rme*

• Ibi February 19, 2016 at 11:26 am

• just bored February 19, 2016 at 1:34 pm

After every change of Government, a few heads must roll. This is a world-wide theory. Mama should know better. Nigerians really need to do away with tribal talks..

• Johnson J February 19, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Please, what was her contribution to the agency?

• Vagz February 19, 2016 at 1:59 pm

The sacked VC of Federal University Lokoja was escorted by crying subordinate who where sad about his departure. asked yourself why you had to be whisked out of ur former office by the police. it simply underlines the fact that you are a very bad person. you wan come use blind us with tribal nonsense. shame on you!

• Nedu February 19, 2016 at 4:35 pm

It’s amazing the traffic this kind of topic generates amongst Nigeria. It simply points to a greater issue that everyone pretends about. The cracks of the 1914 marriage is getting obvious . Sad

• Chuka February 19, 2016 at 6:53 pm

Now I understand. She didn’t say she was sacked bc she is Igbo. She is only expressing the ethnic challenges she had to deal with while functioning as the DG.
    It can happen. But it’s not acceptable.
    Onyeka deserves some respect. She is a star, afterall. While her tenure is over, I wish her success in her future endeavors.

• Dele February 19, 2016 at 7:19 pm

Why cant we respect other people’s culture… We shouldn’t write unprecedented baseless facts about different cultures in Nigeria while trying to make an argument. I have been to many states in Nigeria and visited all 6 geopolitical zones and I can categorically inform you guys that we all have our own issues and how we view things from different perspectives. Yeah the north do park thier cars on the roads during Friday prayers and we also have Christians causing traffic at lagos – Ibadan express way during December period and also on Sundays within towns. My point here is that when you visit other ethnicity, pls respect their environment/culture and you’ll be accepted. I am a civil servant in Abj and I have worked with all tribes in Nigeria, subordinates or supervisors and I can tell you that its all about what you can offer…you might see others getting favoritism bcos of religion, tribe or sex but no one can take away your dignity and work ethics, it always pays bcos I’m a testimony to that. You can’t take away tribe, ethnicity or religion that’s what makes this country. Put away sentiments aside, take away religion & tribe. Did she do the job effectively? That’s what is important.

• Nana Adwoa February 19, 2016 at 8:42 pm

Wat Madam Onyenka said is very true, is happening here in Ghana as well.