Music

Nigeria’s Future Yo-Yo Ma

By Louisa Olubukola Kinoshi, BN International Scene Editor

Take classical music mixed with hip-hop and sprinkle in some gospel and that’s Kevin Olusola‘s “Beatbox Cello KO”. Olusola is a young and gifted cellist who has been featured on PBS “From the Top” at Carnegie Hall. Olusola reminds me of Miri Ben Ari as he skillfully mixes cello harmonies with rough beat box sounds.

The current Yale student is currently 2nd place in the Indaba Music Celebrate and Collaborate music contest. The winner will have the opportunity to record with world renowed classical music artist, Yo-Yo Ma in a special one-on-one collaboration! Kevin describes his work as a sense of this world’s chaotic and tumultuous pace of life, “To me, it was as if an ethereal, heavenly Savior was giving peace to a downtrodden, restless world,” he states in his profile. Please vote for Kevin at the Indaba website.  Watch Kevin below beat box to Beethoven’s “Fifth Symphony”.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShlSuMhqPH0[/youtube]

1. HOLLER!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 10, 2009 at 2:33 am

Holler at another cellist! What a hard instrument to play…

2. Dorah

January 10, 2009 at 2:49 am

I play the cello too. HOLLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. NIYI

January 14, 2009 at 11:13 am

This is Cool, It is a new Genre in Nigeria Music Industry, I believe fans would accept it.

4. NIYI

January 14, 2009 at 11:30 am

THE EVOLUTION OF AFRO HIP HOP

In the 70s Hip Hop Started in Bronx, New York City. Hip Hop Legends and Pioneers such as DJ Cool Herc, Russell Simmons, Sugar Hill Gang, Kurtis Blow, RUN DMC, Grandmaster Flash, KRS ONE, Marley Marl, Eric B & Rakim, NWA, LL Cool J, Fresh Prince & Jazzy Jeff, Public Enemy, Slick Rick, MC Lyte, Queen Latifah, Naugthy By Nature, Tribe Called Quest, P.Diddy, 2pac Shakur, Snoop Dogg, WU TANG CLAN, Nas, Notorious BIG and Many More paved the way for the rest of us. Take you back to Africa, Back in the day, Afro Beat was the popular Genre of Music with Pioneer Legend and King of Afro Beat Fela Anikulapo Kuti and Afro Juju by Sir Shina Peters were the Rhythm and soul of the late 80s and 90s in Nigeria. In the past decade new Genre of Music has emerged in African Music Industry, such as The Evolution of Kwaito in South Africa, Hip Life in Ghana, Baraba Dance in French African Countries and now The Evolution of Afro Hip Hop in Nigeria categorically known as “naija hip hop”. Legends such as Brenda Fassie, Angelique Kidjo, Lucky Dube, Yvonne Chaka, Majek Fashek, Onyeka Onwenu, Mike Okri, Daddy Shokey, King Sunny Ade and many more paved the way for the rest of us. VIBESLAND ENTERTAINMENT honors and pay homage to these great Legends. Afro Hip Hop is the new unique sound of Nigerian Music. It is an infusion of Afro Beat, Hip Life, R&B/Soul, Hip Hop, Dancehall, Reggae and Jazz Music. Respect to All the DJs, MCs, Music Promoters, Radio Presenters, TV Presenters, Artist Managers, Print Media and fans of Afro Hip Hop Worldwide.

Written by Oyeniyi Fatogun
    (p) 2008 VIBESLAND ENTERTAINMENT

5. NIYI

January 14, 2009 at 11:43 am

WHAT ECOMMERCE WEBSITE MEANS TO NIGERIAN MUSIC INDUSTRY

Many people have asked me how will it work, here is the story, back in the day I was a young aspiring entrepreneur with an ordinary BA (Hons) Degree in Accounting & Finance from London Metropolitan University. After my University Degree I decided to set up an Independent Record Label. But before I set up my Record Label in 2006, Back in 2004 at the Nigerian Independence Day Celebration, a lot of Nigerian Music Artists came to attend the Concert in London, many of my friends asked me, why is it difficult to find a place or Music store to buy a proper Nigerian Music CD. Personally I found it difficult to find a store in the UK at that time that sells Nigerian Music CDs. So I took the first step any ambitious aspiring entrepreneur would take, I approached various Music CD Distributors, they told me nobody listens to Nigerian Music in UK, to cut a long story short, it was difficult to secure a distribution deal at that time. Then I came up with an idea to set up my own Independent Record Label in 2006, shortly after that I approached HMV with a letter and proposal for an R&B/Afro Hip Hop In-Store distribution deal, I was told by HMV to send my CDs to the same set of distributors that said nobody listens to Nigerian Music. Then I went back home to re-strategise on my business plan. I came up with an Idea to develop an Online Store for Nigerian Music CDs the distributors had initially rejected. Now there is Evolution of Afro Hip Hop in Nigeria Music Industry today. With opportunity for serious sales growth, so VIBESLAND.COM has the Vision to create a one stop online store for its Independent Artists and other Nigerian Music Indsutry Artists.

Written By Oyeniyi Fatogun
    (p) VIBESLAND ENTERTAINMENT

6. Sade

January 14, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Hi, I need a violinist, string quartet to play at a wedding ceremony. Please get in touch via mail; [email protected]

7. uk

January 17, 2009 at 8:29 am

Hey y’all check out this dude in the full vid in this link:
    you’ll be impressed…but then again of Naija descent what yo expect ,,ha

8. Lauretta

January 24, 2009 at 6:05 am

nice!! I love to see Nigerians achieving something..we need to be known for other stuff beside 419..:)