News

Designer Joan Ibuzor’s “House of Marie” is Smouldering Hot

Ezinne Chinkata

Are we in the mood for some retail therapy? I love, love, love these staple pieces Joan Ibuzo designed for her budding new fashion line, House of Marie. These looks can easily transcend from day to night paired with the right accessories.

Here are pieces from a recent collection from House of Marie styled by yours truly!

1st picture

I am totally obsessed with this jacket. It has a slight vintage tilt and can be worn in numerous ways, depending on the occasion and your body type. It can be teamed with a white pencil skirt , skinny Jeans, little shorts,the list is endless. Did I forget to mention that nude is the ‘IT’ colour of the season??

2nd picture

The Little Black Dress! This dress is demure, sexy and classy! I love the bubble hem and the fact that it suits practically every figure. It will certainly mask a generous girth, especially with all the excesses of Easter. You may opt for brighter coloured shoes, with a sassy clutch and you are, good to go!

3rd picture

This dress  is so cheery and colourful.  It can be dressed up, a la the image above or casually, picture pairing this ensemble with an oversized straw bag and flip flops!

4th picture

This is my favourite outfit from the collection! Parisian Chic meets Nigerian tie and dye dry Lace, need I say more? This dress can infuse a different colour mix and be paired with chunky gladiators which will also work. The jacket may also be rocked separately with a slinky body con dress, or for the feint hearted, the dress can be worn sans the jacket and belt.

5th picture

I like the details on this dress. Very beautiful, very fluid and skims the figure nicely. Note! Please do not wear this dress with an elaborate neck accessory! It will detract from its beautiful embellishments. If you insist though, then a simple gold necklace will suffice.

6th picture

There is something about this dress; It is flirty, sexy and at the same time casual. I love the sleeves. Personally, I will team it with super high, chunky, chocolate brown platforms. Hang on; it also goes with Dark Red or even Green shoes. Well, it is your call.

7th picture

I am sure we recognise this Tribal print tie and dye chiffon dress. I styled Omotola Jalade Ekeinde in this dress for Elan’s mother’s day edition which was  featured in BN. This dress will certainly fit a full bodied or slim person.  Accessorise as you deem fit!

8th picture

This is a bold and funky outfit. The sharp purple colour of the Harem trousers teamed with the white and grey jacket is a very interesting combination. This outfit cam also serve as an office casual look, a different colour of the same trousers, perhaps?

I know it’s the recession and shopping may not be top priority for some of us. You can still look good without breaking the bank; incorporate these style tips in your closet with  dresses in a similar style or colour.

However, if you are hooked and would love to see more of the collection, Visit House of  Marie HERE:

Credits: Styling: Ezinne Chinkata; Photography: Moussa Moussa; Makeup: Banke Meshida Lawal for BmPro; Model: Marie Miller

1. Bola #1

April 13, 2010 at 8:02 pm

beautiful pieces

2. designcity

April 13, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I love the outfits. Kudos to the designer.I particularly liked the black flowing dress.Good job.Can you send me the contact details pls?

3. Mel

April 13, 2010 at 9:29 pm

love tthem all…beautiful colors

4. fashungirl

April 13, 2010 at 10:05 pm

ezinne chinkata ur work is horrible since ur styling for next. the clothes are horrible and you have overstyled as usual.learn from the best zara opara,hauwa mukan,bolaji animashaun and dimeji alara.nonesense

5. tbn

April 13, 2010 at 11:48 pm

I wish designers would include the price of their items on the website as well. I prefer not to go through the hassle of asking for a piece that I like and be discouraged by the price at the last minute. I visited the website,and discovered that every other info is there but the price; meaning that in order to buy anything one has to call some numbers to say what they want. I have noticed this alot when Nigerians advertise their products online. they never include the price of the items. is there a reason for that? I think more people would be attracted to these items when every information is given to a potential buyer- especially how much an item costs. I loose interest when i dont know how much an item is.

6. Bambmi

April 14, 2010 at 3:23 am

love the tiedie dress!!absolutely gorgy

7. amaka

April 14, 2010 at 10:04 am

i like d model! think she did a nice job.

8. raregem

April 14, 2010 at 10:44 am

nice,niceee…love it’ll

9. Betty Boop

April 14, 2010 at 12:07 pm

This is lovely!

10. Nma

April 14, 2010 at 8:17 pm

veerrrrry true! They do that alot, and i do loose interest as well. Kpata kpata i carry the design go meet my tailor.

11. silva

April 14, 2010 at 10:21 pm

i love the shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. ogo

April 16, 2010 at 6:44 am

It is not just Nigerians…this is standard practice with many haute couture (high fashion) items. When the price is not given it indicates that the price is/may be prohibitive (read: expensive). This practice used to be the norm but now mostly smaller, up-n-coming designers still use it. It’s how the industry works… There are actually still some restaurant in the US that have menus w/ no prices…LOL. The cost for dinner rushes into the hundreds at least.

Oh, and since the designers aren’t listing their prices, I don’t think they’ll feel bothered if you or anyone else simply inquiries about the price. I mean, we all have a price point! So, basically, don’t be discouraged! That’s not what it’s meant for.

13. ogo

April 16, 2010 at 6:48 am

I actually liked some of this stuff — why am I suprised? The harem pant was refreshing partly b/c of the color…would still never wear harem pants tho. LOL. My favorite item is the embellished short trench! Ugh! To Die For. I do worry about the short sleeves tho… My second favorite is the “Omosexy dress”. Absolutely gorgeous as is the model w/ that hair in that shot! V. Nice indeed. I also like the idea of the “dry lace” dress but I’m disappointed that I can’t see it! Even on the designer’s site it’s all the way covered up…so how shall I know if I want it jo?

• Gertie

January 19, 2012 at 6:46 am

A little rtaoinlaity lifts the quality of the debate here. Thanks for contributing!

14. socks

April 16, 2010 at 9:54 am

Can i get the shoes? puleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Thats all i see. 🙂

15. Ndy

April 17, 2010 at 1:37 am

Bella you are dead on with the comments on the clothes, I felt like you were reading my mind. This is amazing, truely inspiring. And with a lot of ppl jumping on the bandwagon of ankara or ethnic clothing, its starting to blur but this, this stands out. Beautiful.

16. toyosi

April 17, 2010 at 8:13 am

these are phenomenal……….the styles are high fashion….loving every part of it frm H 2 T. FIERCE N LUV.

17. Mrs. Manczuk

April 28, 2010 at 2:53 pm

I love the tribal tie dye and the little black dress! If the price is not listed, I know I can’t afford it…yet!

18. Bonjour

May 29, 2010 at 10:32 pm

I think the pieces were extremely nice and in exquisite taste. Good work on the part of the designer and a huge kudos to ezinne chinkata who as a stylist cordinated the pieces. However, some people should try to not to let personal feelings get in the way of things, i really dont think that is what this space is for …to leave spiteful and disparaging personal comments..( the latter part is directed at fashungirl). So please let us give credit where it is due and if u think it is not worth it, please limit comments to what is required and not get petty.

19. mach