Music

Homegrown African talent up for 2010 BET Awards as MI, P-Square, Kojo Antwi & HHP scoop nominations

BellaNaija.com

The nominees for the 2010 BET Awards have just been announced and there are some very familiar names on the list! Our boys have done us proud once again as MI and P-Square were nominated in the Best International Act category. Ghanaian musician Kojo Antwi and SA’s HHP were also nominated in that category. This is the first time that African musicians have been nominated for the BET Awards.
Other musical artistes of African heritage who were also nominated include Dizzee Rascal (many don’t know that Dizzee’s father is Nigerian and mum is Ghanaian), Wale who is up for the Best New Artist award, Estelle, K’Naan and Sade who are also nominated in the Best International Act category.
It’s a great step though a tad odd that all the international acts were lumped into one category.
Oh well, one step at a time.
Congrats to the nominees

BET Awards 2010 – Best International Act
Kojo Antwi (Ghana)
Chipmunk (UK)
Dizzee Rascal (UK)
Estelle (UK)
Hip Hop Pantsula (HHP) (South Africa)
K’Naan (Somalia/Canada)
M.I. (Nigeria)
P-Square (Nigeria)
Corinne Bailey Rae (UK)
Sade (UK)

1. chy chy

May 19, 2010 at 1:07 am

Oh wow am the first to comment, i don’t watch BETbut i will definitely watch this one.Congrats to my Nigerian nominnes. Niger all the wayyyyy…..

2. pshots

May 19, 2010 at 2:58 am

I hope p2 wins

3. 'Tunde Ojobar (MC Rain)

May 19, 2010 at 3:13 am

Nigerians have what it takes. it’s either you are 9ja or … congratulations to all Nigerian music artistes.
    M.I & P.Square thanks for making us proud.

4. Lape

May 19, 2010 at 6:23 am

I was also wonderin why they were all lumped into a category cuz of course the more recognizable names would win.
    They should have done Best African Act that way the Africans have a better chance… I mean Sade over P square or MI.. wat r d chance… I am sha keepin my fingers crossed. It’s good to be recognized….

I was just fumin over how the World Music Awards said Akon was the best selling African artist… To make that award authentic, they have to consider it as best African artist who caters to the African public not the American public.

5. Maki

May 19, 2010 at 7:32 am

Lol!But why should they all be in one category???Ignorant BET.Anyway.congratulations to the nominees!

6. Naina

May 19, 2010 at 8:24 am

Why’s BET ignorant? Are the artistes not non-American recording artistes
    So why souldn’t they all be in one category? Why should BET give awards
    based on continents – abeg get over yourselves already.

7. Niggydip

May 19, 2010 at 10:03 am

Congrats y’all! But why isnt Terry G not on the list? Lol

8. Naina

May 19, 2010 at 10:49 am

@Lape – do Africans not listen to Akon’s music?

9. Nonli

May 19, 2010 at 11:39 am

Terry G? …. lol … Pray M.I wins… d boy’s gat skillz.. wish wale nd p2 luck 2

10. B

May 19, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Omg Lape and Maki, why should they have “best African act”. Can we not
    compete on a world stage? Why are you content with being local champions.
    Thats retarded. There is no reason why MI and P2 cannot win over Sade Adu.
    You need to stop thinking of yourselves as inferior. Elevate yourselves!

11. flowcaptain

May 19, 2010 at 1:46 pm

HHP Hip Hop Pantsula jabba will take it no doubt South Africa representing now that’s AYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBA

12. draken

May 19, 2010 at 4:03 pm

M.I for the moola!!!

13. chichi

May 19, 2010 at 8:23 pm

like seriously like we dont know Estelle will win… she collabo with so many american artists…. they really should have had only AFRICANs in da category more likely chances for an AFRICAN to win…………………

14. Chiangel

May 19, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Wow!!! I am beyond happy! Very good guys. Congrats! I’ll be watching. June 27th. YAY!!!!

15. judexxWorld

May 20, 2010 at 2:32 am

We shouldn’t forget the African Americans came a long way to establish themselves on American soil and having an independent Television station, so let’s appreciate the fact that the awareness of African music is beginning to play on the minds of the American people. MI and others should use this medium to build on feature opportunities.

16. gbekun

May 20, 2010 at 5:51 pm

p-square gon take it away mehnnn

17. Seun

May 21, 2010 at 12:40 am

Many of these ppl are so narrow minded the half of them know nobody else but
    sade so they will vote sade

18. jennietobbie

May 21, 2010 at 1:36 am

psquare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. oludolapo

May 21, 2010 at 11:15 am

whao! its great to be recognized in da international scene of music. big ups MI and p square

20. Jordan

May 22, 2010 at 10:13 am

Congrats to all to nominees! My props goes out to DIDDY! That guy is making moves this year….always doing big things. Im very excited to see that movie ‘Get him to The Greek’ Keep it up DIDDY!

21. pius

May 22, 2010 at 10:55 am

it grt big up to m i ad p squard.

22. Maki

May 22, 2010 at 8:13 pm

@B and Naina BET doesnt owe Africans anything,but if they want to do an international category,they should at least do it properly. This ‘category’ is basically ‘stuff they dont play on BET’. And besides, how is this ‘international’ when only 3-4 countries are represented?
    Its not even a matter of inferiority,i just see no reason for this category at all.

23. D.O.T.M.H.

May 23, 2010 at 2:28 am

There are actually 2 categories. Best African and best international. M.I and P-Square are under the best Afrivac. #justsoyouknow

24. THE AMAKA

May 23, 2010 at 9:36 am

YES!!! I LOVE P-SQUARE! they are my favorite naija musicians.
    BTW, I’ve been on the BET website and i haven’t stopped voting. I’ve been vorting for days! I really wan’t them to win and make naija proud.
    who knows…winning this award could boost their career…
    GOOD LUCK P-SQUARE!

25. OlucciArmani

May 23, 2010 at 11:38 pm

WAY TO GO M.I ! ! !, for that lovely song ”Forever”….YOU HAVE MY VOTE!
    btw ”lagos party” video is my best naija music video…GO BANKY W!

26. Mercury

May 24, 2010 at 7:36 am

Apparently your votes dont really count,except in the ‘viewrs choice’ category.

27. KemiPen

May 25, 2010 at 1:21 pm

My favorites – P-Square & M.I (hmmm! how will I vote?)…at least, they get the international exposure…

To vote clix:

28. cici

May 26, 2010 at 5:31 am

C’mon now, sade, Corraine bailey, are very well known in America, as well
    as Europe. Their fan base can’t be compared to M.I or P square, but can’t
    complain it’s good to be recognized. I will be voting for Sade, she deserves it!

29. tobechukwu

May 27, 2010 at 1:46 am

C’mon guyz this is agud nuz so far, for the fact that naija artise are representing, men no body can take it from P2………………………wish them gudluck…..

30. Dee

May 27, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Enough talent on this nomination list. It’s so great to see MI and P-Square on there. MI just keeps doing the damn thing……………..however, this award is so going to Sade!! Matter of fact, she’s picking it up with a breeze……….e no hard, The woman is in a league of her own.

31. habeeb

May 29, 2010 at 3:55 am

da best rapper alive

32. DRIPZ

June 12, 2010 at 5:26 pm

MI is the best man for the BIA 2010. His talent is mad, we even call him Mr I do try.

33. mykell

June 16, 2010 at 2:43 pm

i’m proud of mi n psquare but my vote goes out 2 d greatest twins in d music world