Music

Nneka explores her Nigerian roots in the new issue of SoundCity Blast

BellaNaija.com

So far in 2010, SoundCity Blast has brought us some interesting covers. Last time, we had Terry G exploring his ‘Free Madness’, this time, things are a little more serene, much prettier but still very feisty! The new edition is the fourth for the year and features internationally acclaimed singer/songwriter/social activist Nneka on the cover. Other big features are Femi Kuti, Jesse Jagz, and Kas. The issue also features a special World Cup Special on Nigerian music heavyweights.
There’s one more special treat for readers of this issue of SoundCity Blast, a free mixtape from rapper Teeto Ceemos titled ‘Da Freshness’. BN has it right here for you to explore online – Click.

1. Ronnie

June 29, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Totally love Nneka.saw her live once and she was phenomenal.Well done girl!

2. gbegborun

June 29, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Nneka is awesome! : ) But I thought she was well aware of her Nigerian roots? She has an awesomely conc naija accent.

3. burramint

June 29, 2010 at 5:11 pm

gbegborun you are right she is well aware and as real as it gets, Bella’s caption is a tad misleading

4. lola

June 29, 2010 at 6:10 pm

na wa o….what do they mean by Nigerian roots…this chick is nothing but naija all day everyday she grew up in warri for crying out loud how much more nigerian can you get with that? anyways i love you Nneka…your music is just inspirational and soulful

5. gggirl

June 29, 2010 at 8:27 pm

what kind of stupid headline is this Bella? The girl call herself a warri born and bred gril by way of Onitsha and you say she is exploring her roots. Pleeeeeease

6. THE AMAKA

June 29, 2010 at 9:08 pm

yeah i don’t understand the “exploring” her roots thing.
    she was born (i think) and bred in Naija.
    or maybe she is “exploring” her German roots?

7. chica

June 30, 2010 at 1:08 am

its just the ignorance and assumption that because she is mixed she is unaware of her nigerian roots.. yawn.

8. fokasibe

June 30, 2010 at 7:52 am

So if she was born and bred and buttered in Warri NKO? I know she left for a bit…..and lived in Germany or so….ehen, maybe she is delving deeper than she already knows? Abeg free bella jor! Me sef…I want to explore my roots. Kpom.

9. gggirl

June 30, 2010 at 8:09 am

Fokasibe did she ever say that Don Jazzy, D’Banj, MI and Banky W were exploring their roots? And these people did move away for years. I beg this is pure ignorance which I hope Bella naija will correct because the girl might feel insulted by it. If it were me, I would write and complain.

10. james

June 30, 2010 at 8:46 am

jesse jay today!!!! yay!!

11. dorian

June 30, 2010 at 10:16 am

Saw nneka live at Scala earlier in the year, she is fantastic. A little soldier up on stage she is. Not sure about the headline Bella, this girl is naija thru & thru. She travels by bus and okada, and eats in bukas; what can be more Nigerian than that?

12. Najificent

June 30, 2010 at 12:04 pm

*shakes head* poor readers cant read between the lines…head line on the mag is “NNeka Roots” …Bella wrote “exploring roots” geez …its not rocket science. Buy the mag…then complain wen you know what your on about.

13. Passerby

June 30, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I have a thing for non-conformists so it’s no surprise that I adore this chick!

14. Recognize

June 30, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I wonder how appropriate this caption “explores her Nigerian roots” is considering the babe grew up in Warri..

15. fokasibe

July 1, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I dont see anything wrong with the caption “Nneka explores her Nigerian roots….” There coulf me many different meanings to the statement. I choose to believe that it means she wants to explore her roots with the rest of us: the readers. Why must it mean she is exploring her roots for the first time? Why do we just like to critique blindly without first giving things another look from another perspective? Besides, we all can’t lclaim to have read this issue so I will say: DO NOT JUDGE A BOOK BY IT’S COVER!

16. fokasibe

July 1, 2010 at 1:30 pm

could be***

17. anon

July 1, 2010 at 11:26 pm

i thought the same thing…that she sounds naija, her mannerism, etc. so how
    can she me exploring, she don pass exploration stage na.

But, it also depends on your interpretation. It can mean two things learning
    about the naija culture or learning like delving into it to know more.
    Trust naijas tho, they will still insult.

18. Qees

July 16, 2010 at 10:17 am

Nigerians and ITK, did u people even read the cover of the magazine. I was born and bred in Nigeria doesnt mean i know everything about my roots, Biko, learn English and read between the lines o ooo…

People just like to critisize, u need to be positive