Events

Lanre DaSilva-Ajayi, Odio Mimonet, House of Farrah & a host of promising designers dazzle at the Vlisco Fashion Show for American International School Abuja

BellaNaija.com

It was a wonderful day for fashion collaboration on the 11th of September 2010 at the Transcorp Hilton Hotel in Abuja as designers from Lagos and Northern Nigeria teamed up with premium real dutch wax manufacturer Vlisco for a fashion show in conjunction with the American International School Abuja.

We saw a total of nine collections using fabric from the most recent Vlisco collection – Reflet de Lumiere – as their palette. Lanre DaSilva-Ajayi, Odio Mimonet and Vlisco’s fashion line were the headliners of the show while a host of very talented up-and-coming designers (all based in Northern Nigeria) were also on the bill.

It was a fun fashion-filled night as models alongside teachers and parents from AISA strutted down the runway to loud applause from the crowd. It was absolutely great to see how each designer interpreted their unique vision into creative pieces.

The major revelation of the night was that there is an abundance of fashion talent around the country. We have become accustomed to seeing collections from our Lagos and diaspora based designers that we sometimes forget that fashion is thriving all around Nigeria. Though several of the up-and-coming designers have to put in some work to improve their craft, the talent is clearly there.

Check out photos from all the collections below.

Lanre DaSilva-Ajayi

The designer, Lanre DaSilva-Ajayi

Odio Mimonet

Alima Muazu for Odio Mimonet

House of Farrah

The designer, Fatima Aliyu Garba

TES Couture

Designer, Theresa Nadoro (with some very cute junior models)

1979 by LM

The designer, Lami Ogohi-Sani

Cassia Label

The designer, Saratu Usman

Senegal Broidery Centre

Rep For Senegal Broidery Centre

Qhaftani

The Designer, Comfort Zaman

Vlisco Fashion

Guests

MD Vlisco Nigeria - Else Hartsema with Remmy Diagbare - Editor, Vanguard Allure

Ruth Osime - Editor, ThisDay Style with LDA & Ono Bello

1. Bisqo

September 13, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Nice collections! Thanks for sharing Bella.

2. Calculator Careers

September 13, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Wow I love Nigerian fashion & the new look Bella. Kudos

3. Bisi

September 13, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Just because we are Nigerian doesn’t mean that all designer’s collection should consist of ankara. I mean were is the originality, the versatility. It has gotten old really fast.

• Bisi

September 14, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Sorry didn’t read:(

4. Bee

September 13, 2010 at 10:45 pm

o my…I love House of Farrah. i can remember walkn into her store and I was so excited to try on the clothes.

• Lola

September 14, 2010 at 11:52 am

Her stuff is really quite striking. Where is she located please?!

• Hadiza

September 14, 2010 at 10:48 pm

House of FARRAH is located on the 2nd floor at the Sliverbird centre, near Yaradua centre. Abuja. Check her out at http://www.houseoffarrah.com

5. Nma

September 14, 2010 at 5:20 am

*jaw on the floor*!!!!!!! I absolutelyyyyyy love love love! Totally my style!

6. christee

September 14, 2010 at 8:34 am

@ Bisi. the event was the vlisco fashion show and the idea of the show was the designers using the vlisco fabric (which is ankara)

• Bisi

September 14, 2010 at 6:18 pm

I really should have read. It just that I got back from a show in America and all they had was ankara. And the girl really expected me to pay $500 for an ankara maxi dress. smh

7. zimbutterfly

September 14, 2010 at 10:46 am

This Zimbabwean fashionista is wondering if there is an online store (apart from myasho.com) where she can purchase garments by these african designers. African prints have this social butterfly’s heart. Gotta ‘rep’ for Mama Africa and my people!

8. Ginika

September 14, 2010 at 11:03 am

*JAw DrOping on the floor and drOoLing* I love, J’adore. If I could have my way, I will stop wearing western clothes… I’ll start working towards it!

9. WaleAdeniji

September 14, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Lanre D’Silva, thanks so much for using those models. That’s what we are saying. I know many of those ladies will have little things to survive with rather than giving it out to the white as it’s the practice with some. Very nice collection you have there.

• f

September 15, 2010 at 5:01 pm

@ wale, the models are parents from the american international school. LDA i abased in lagos i guess that s why she used models. All the abuja designers used AISA yummy mummys

10. Peperempe

September 14, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Hmmmm….Ruth Osime …hmmm.

11. ogechi

September 14, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Odio clothes are timeless fantastic work.
    She really does her home work.

12. konah

September 15, 2010 at 2:13 am

The designers did a great job,zimbutterfly there is a new online site starting next month it’s African fashion.com,selling stuffs from African designers.

13. Pam

September 15, 2010 at 8:14 pm

all very very nice. happy to see clothes from different designers. strangely I dont like da silvas clothes in this show at all. every one else managed to use the design on the prints to great effect except her. like it was simply ankara versions of her existing designs without paying attention to the patterns on the cloth. im not sure i make sense… love the use of “normal” women. well groomed. different sizes. confident. LOVE IT.

14. Sarah Brown

September 15, 2010 at 11:15 pm

I completely disagree with you pam. LDA made ankara fabric attractive to me. I love love her designs.

15. zimbutterfly

September 16, 2010 at 5:27 am

Konah thanks for letting me know about this new online store. Can’t wait until its launch:)

16. THE AMAKA

September 18, 2010 at 3:40 pm

the lady on the left in the second to last picture is HOTT.
    the designs are pretty cool, but they look better on the African women, oops. lol

17. Kaltume

November 8, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I totally agree with Pam about LDA’s collection, but I like it. The clothes do look like ankara versions of what we’ve seen before, but they’re still cute.

18. Charity Natsai Hungwe-Moyo

April 8, 2012 at 10:12 pm

This is wonderful I like the material

19. Yetunde

May 7, 2012 at 2:54 pm

hello Bella
    The Vlisco lookbook are always always a delite, am confused about something though can we buy them and if so, kindly provide contact. i expect a response .
    warm regards